PDA

View Full Version : Maps!

Swoosh So
09-12-2010, 14:08
The more i think about it the more important maps become in my thoughts for totalwar. CA really should bombard us with maps this time round, im talking campaign map - map selector for MP battles, Map creation tool, CA maps in patches after the release of game, new mp maps in the DLC - i just bought the penninsular campaign to get some more units but wheres my mp maps? And yes i want maps from the DLC that all players can play on as long as the host has bought the DLC.

When i think back to shogun and all the things that made it the best mp totalwar experience i have to conclude that the community map packs were a huge part of it, i mean all ca have to do is fire out the tool and we the community will make sure that the mp game is fleshed out with a HUGE amount of maps. Really enjoyed trying out new maps with friends.

This thread will be for anything to do with maps btw and ill kinda take it on a random course with just my posting.

I would also like to see the size of maps increased, im talking about a 30% size increase for all games 2v2 3v3 4v4, the current 4v4 maps or even 3v3 are too compact, im starting to see the red zone alot again - why do we even have to see it after all these years just make the maps bigger already. I mean in ntw the maps actually have good depth its the width thats the problem, you have tons of unused space behind the start positions but the for width your struggling.

Also multiplayer maps should have as little buildings in them as possible, they really are just annoying and almost add nothing to the game.

Orda Khan
09-12-2010, 20:29
Heartily agree with all you've said Swoosh. Downloading mappacks, playing on new terrain added a lot. I can't say I was ever happy about the deployment areas, too close to the enemy, lots of wasted space, that and lack of width hampered manoeuvres quite a bit. I'd like to see two lines to deploy behind and lots of no man's land, ditching the player zone restrictions. Models have always ruined unit pathfinding, they should be left out.

Magyar Khan
09-12-2010, 20:41
whats wrong with the mtw vi stw circles of deployment?

Orda Khan
09-13-2010, 11:12
Think about 3v3 and the huge central deployment zone, then remember the two small zones either side that were sometimes very limited, especially with trees. 4v4 always had the forward/rear double deployment on left and all deployment was too close to opposition. How many times did the battle start and your opponent was there in your face? OK, some may like that last point but I always thought it detracted from the tactical manoeuvre that was possible. A line where you simply deploy behind would give better tactical scope and to prevent any stupid rushing the opponents should begin well out of range.

Swoosh So
09-13-2010, 11:22
I like the new deployment in ntw with all at the back but the maps need to be bigger the deployment zones show that the maps are too smal as you can barely fit your army in them

Magyar Khan
09-13-2010, 12:06
well i experience in ntw that if teh maps are geting bigger the fatique rate must be changed accordingly to it

Orda Khan
09-13-2010, 13:13
That's always been a bone of contention. I don't see why CA can't sort that out.

Swoosh So
09-13-2010, 13:50
At least the units recover their fatigue very quickly

Magyar Khan
09-13-2010, 19:07
i think a fast recovery like i think is in NTW (i never look at those things to be honest remarkable how i managed in the tw series anyway..... ) is good... it allows a fast rush towards keyponts without paying the price over time...

Swoosh So
09-26-2010, 14:36
What we need in shogun 2 is a list like this. im pretty sure thats not even all the shogun multiplayer maps made by users, infact alot of those maps are map packs so i can only imagine how many options we had. I remember looking forward to playing with friends on new map packs that have been released. All thats totally gone from ntw.

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/STW/xmaps.shtml

LadyAnn
09-26-2010, 15:02
Marching should not incur any fatigue at all. Armies marched for days. Only marching when harried by enemy fire, double march, hot pursuit, combat and rout should have fatigue as increasingly a factor. Then fatigue due to terrain and weather may be a multiplicative factor, but should be more like slowing down the army. This would mitigate the problem that far-deployed attacking army be penalized for taking initiative.

Annie

Swoosh So
09-26-2010, 22:55
Fatigue is fine in the current game no need to go changing it, if it aint broke dont fix imo.

AMP
09-27-2010, 15:19
Nothing wrong with the fatigue in NTW the recovery rate is good and you can recover up to fresh again except for winter maps I think. Now if they could only fix the running in TW after all these years...

As for maps...more the better and just give us a map making tool along with being able to download user made maps from the host as well as getting a quick preview before playing on it. We wanted to be able to download user made maps from the host since STW days and that was how long ago? TW is advanced in SP, but no so advanced in MP... I've played other RTS games years ago where you could download maps from the host and with all the money pumped in TW you today still don't have such an option. :(

I guess we have buildings cause it's something the SP players wanted and so of course it gets transferred to MP maps. To make matters worse is they don't scale down, so when you play med or small unit size you can put more units in them and lots of people like to party in the buildings... not me it kills the game for me. So it's like lets bring an arty and shoot at the buildings for 15mins to try and take them all down just so you don't have to worry about seeing half an army in them... ZzZz boring.

Magyar Khan
10-01-2010, 20:41
stone buildings are a solid way to hide from wolves.... hows that fairytale going.... 3 sheep hiding in a stone building for a wolf?

Togakure
10-02-2010, 06:54
stone buildings are a solid way to hide from wolves.... hows that fairytale going.... 3 sheep hiding in a stone building for a wolf?

Three Little Pigs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Little_Pigs)

Magyar Khan
10-02-2010, 08:40
Tx toka :0).

THE mp campaignmap selector should not be forgotten....

UglyElmo2
10-03-2010, 02:24
Three Little Pigs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Little_Pigs)

hehe Nice one Toga :)