PDA

View Full Version : Small Game Possibility - "Of their Own Accord", or "Creeping Darkness: Origins"

ULC
09-25-2010, 18:58
I am cooking up something special, and I hope mildly unique game - it'll be small, and relatively simply (at least from my perspective). Now, their are two possibilities, both of which I will discuss at length.

One possibility is "Of their Own Accord", the setting of which takes place in the future where Russia further dominates the Caucasus region, and the US and UN step in to intervene. The story is of a Ranger unit lost in the Caucasus Mountains attempting to return to safety, after having witnessed an entire town written off by the Army for the sake of getting at a small detachment of Russian soldiers. However, their trip is dogged by angry and vengeful Russian soldiers and militia, all the while a threat to each of them lies within their own unit.

The game will focus on individual choices of "Morality" - during the course of the game, events will take place. Each player will submit, in secret their choice when an event occurs to the host (Me). This will then effect their position on the Morality Scale, and will entail them to certain abilities and alignment changes.

During the start of the game, their will be an equipment selection phase - this will be public. Your chosen equipment will effect your performance ingame, and you may select 2 pieces of equipment. You will not know what your equipment does until you have chosen it, and some pieces of equipment will be limited. Equipment trading maybe or may not be allowed based upon host discretion - if it is okayed, you must tell the host. Certain events will allow you to trade out equipment from what you already have - one piece of equipment will always equal another, so you must weigh your decision carefully. No one else will know of any new equipment you trade or gain after the initial selection.

A basic idea of equipment available

CIRAS - Plate Carrier
MICH - Helmet
M4A1 - Carbine
M249 Para - Automatic Rifle
M9 - Sidearm
NVG - Goggles
M24A3 - Sniper Rifle

Yes, there will be mafioso - but figuring out what kind of mafioso you're after is part of the game, so no spoilers :wink:

Now, the other game, "Creeping Darkness: Origins" is a reimagining of my old game, brought down in size but redone in a less complex and thus confusing manner. This was the original set-up for Creeping Darkness.

The story takes place in a Hospital for children, in a secluded wing where children gifted (or cursed) with psychic potential are being held for "treatment". This wing is overseen by the one and only Ian Alexander Lovell, although a much younger one. He gathers the children all up one day, and tells them they may all go home on one condition - find the evil one amongst them. If they find the evil one, and bring the child to him, they can all go home to their families.

The premise is rather simple - find the mafia, and go home, using your unique abilities that you can develop through continuous use. Abilities start out very basic and of limited use and eventually grow to be more powerful, but at a possible cost. There is more to the game then meets the eye, but to tell it would ruin it.

TheFlax
09-25-2010, 19:10
I'm very interested in "Of their Own Accord".

The game will focus on individual choices of "Morality" - during the course of the game, events will take place. Each player will submit, in secret their choice when an event occurs to the host (Me). This will then effect their position on the Morality Scale, and will entail them to certain abilities and alignment changes.

Even if choices are private, I do hope they can and will be discussed in public between the players. That should make for some interesting debate to supplement the "who is scum" debates we usually have.

Certain events will allow you to trade out equipment from what you already have - one piece of equipment will always equal another, so you must weigh your decision carefully. No one else will know of any new equipment you trade or gain after the initial selection.

Do I take it then we have a maximum of two equipment "slots" so to speak?

I think for the equipment, to offer a more realistic portrayal, everyone gets a standard kit of basic equipment, (No effect or minimal effect) and then the players chose specialized equipment, which does well... special stuff.

ULC
09-25-2010, 19:35
I'm very interested in "Of their Own Accord".

Even if choices are private, I do hope they can and will be discussed in public between the players. That should make for some interesting debate to supplement the "who is scum" debates we usually have.

But of course - their is no restriction on discussing it in public or in private. However, I'd prefer it if people did not make their decision known, or at least ambiguiity to any claims they may have about their choices.

Do I take it then we have a maximum of two equipment "slots" so to speak?

I think for the equipment, to offer a more realistic portrayal, everyone gets a standard kit of basic equipment, (No effect or minimal effect) and then the players chose specialized equipment, which does well... special stuff.

Yes, everyone does have standard equipment - IOTV - Vest, M16A4 - Assault Rifle, LWH - Helmet, and Cold Weather Gear - Attire. I am think of having you only be able to replace 2 of these at any time, so that by the end your entire loadout may be changed - I'm not sure on the "only two pieces of equipment", but at the very least, you can only change two pieces of equipment in the beginning.

TheFlax
09-25-2010, 19:38
Sounds good, I'm getting excited about this game. :smile:

ULC
09-26-2010, 20:37
Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm not quite sure when I may be hosting this game, so the more information I get the sooner, the better.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
09-27-2010, 21:41
Creeping Darkness sounds fun.

:yes:

Romanic
09-27-2010, 22:50
I'd rather see a game such as "Of their own accord". Everyone being children, meh.

Diamondeye
09-27-2010, 23:05
They both soudn good, but I like the first one the best.

Although revisiting Lovell would be a blast as well... :tongue:

Beskar
09-27-2010, 23:35
The biggest issue is whether or not you will stick with the game past a few rounds. Last few games have been dropped half-way through without much explanation then you disappear for a long period of time. The game ideas have always come across well written, interesting and enjoyable but the commitment to the hosting would be my concern.

ULC
09-28-2010, 00:00
The biggest issue is whether or not you will stick with the game past a few rounds. Last few games have been dropped half-way through without much explanation then you disappear for a long period of time. The game ideas have always come across well written, interesting and enjoyable but the commitment to the hosting would be my concern.

The large game of Creeping Darkness faltered due to not having my heart in it after Khaans game, and BMP faltered because I went over my limits, and lost internet access due to an extremely picky ISP on billing issues. That is why I've scaled back - all the games above are relatively simple, require little juggling on my part, are of small number of players, and will be rather short. I'm not in the mood to test my limits just yet again at players expense. My goal was always to provide the same level of ingenuity and fun accredited to my previous small games - hopefully I can do that.

Beskar
09-28-2010, 22:15
The large game of Creeping Darkness faltered due to not having my heart in it after Khaans game, and BMP faltered because I went over my limits, and lost internet access due to an extremely picky ISP on billing issues. That is why I've scaled back - all the games above are relatively simple, require little juggling on my part, are of small number of players, and will be rather short. I'm not in the mood to test my limits just yet again at players expense. My goal was always to provide the same level of ingenuity and fun accredited to my previous small games - hopefully I can do that.

That's good then. :beam:

I am glad you are feeling comfortable with the game, I just felt that my concern needed to be aired, as I have enjoyed your games, I was just disappointed as you might imagine, wasn't aiming for any personal attacks on you. If you are sure you would be able to host it fine, I am convinced as well.

ULC
09-28-2010, 22:21
That's good then. :beam:

I am glad you are feeling comfortable with the game, I just felt that my concern needed to be aired, as I have enjoyed your games, I was just disappointed as you might imagine, wasn't aiming for any personal attacks on you. If you are sure you would be able to host it fine, I am convinced as well.

Oh, I hope so, I just need to limit myself on creating too many mechanics for the game, LOL. Basically, I tend to quickly complicate things and need someone to help me figure out how to uncomplicate them. Currently trying to figure out if my new WoG system is too complex.