PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Bug Reports

barocca
11-09-2002, 07:41
I'll copy the content of the old threads over from the old forum when i have some time,

The rules are simple,

Post your bug clearly,
don't whinge about "this should have been fixed" and similar, we take that sort of thing as stated merely by reporting the bug.
EDIT - IF YOUR BUG IS ALREADY HERE, THEN REPLY QUOTING THE PERSON WHO REPORTED IT AND MENTION YOU'VE SEEN THIS ONE TOO

Make SURE you have checked this post
http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....;t=2024 (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=5;t=2024)

This is not the place to report technical bugs, if your system worked fine pre-patch please mention that here,
but make sure to post your PC specifications over in the Tech forum.

If you can recreate the bug, please descibe as clearly as possible how,

SP Campaign :- If you have a save game where the bug occurs during the next turn, Please upload it to the Org's Beta Files Section,
http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Uploaders/MTWbeta.php3

Place it in a Zip File.
Label it as Bug_SaveGame_XXXXX - where X is your name,
please add a textfile with your email,
please describe clearly what happens on the next turn that is a bug.

MP online/lan :- If you are online try to take a screenshot of the bug.
follow the same procedure for save game, and name them Bug_MP_XXXXX.

I cannot guarantee that the developers will have a look at your save game or screenshot,
but if you upload them, well if they want to see the bug they can do so.

Basically,
make sure you have installed the patch to a clean copy of medieval,
make sure you have not tried to use an old save game.
make sure you have shut down Medieval and restarted the game before you go online.

try to replicate the bug before you post,
try to save a game on the turn before the bug happens (SP),
try to take a screenshot if online (MP).

oh yes, one more rule - i reserve the right to edit your post in an effort to clarify your report.
(so don't get bent out of shape if i do so - thanks)

barocca
11-09-2002, 07:47
I am still ghosted 90% of the time when i return from a battle.

Often the people i just played against are ghosted also(50+%),

Sometimes (30%) I appear ghosted in my own disply, while other report i am NOT ghosted in theirs
- on all occasions where this happens the person reporting that to me IS ghosted on my display

giskard
11-09-2002, 08:35
Just going to bed having been enjoying a fairly trouble free night of mtw online.

Heres the bugs.

1) In game disconnects still happen at their usual rate.

2) Lobby disconnects didnt happen at all (theses where the worst for me)

3) Black screen when the game loaded and all players where at 100% and present. All could chat but the game didnt start. Not sure why. The host rebooted and launched the server again and it worked fine. Might be fragged memory.

4) Server list still doesnt show all servers when a game ends either normally or when a host quits.We still find our selves logging out and back in again.

5) Exiting from multiplayer under winxp started to cause the game to lockup forcing a reboot before the patch. I have just quit out successfully without problems with the patch install. Will test it in single player another day, that was a 100% lockup every time i quit before. I will know for definate if its fixed after a quick test.

6)Login times are slightly better but still very long (the guys liked my 56ker joke in relation to these long logins hehe).

7) I played MTW online for 4 hours solid without a reboot. No crashes to the desktop at all. I think this must be a bug as I used to like that random auto return to desktop feature http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

8) The pings for all games where actually reasonable tonight. Might be the patch, might be the time of night I played. I just logged out so this time stamp on this post should give you and idea of the time i was playing. The server list was short all night though, but all servers had pings of less than 250. Which is unheard of in the MTW lobby for me.

Personally i think multiplayer is a lot better, still not 100% but definately better.

Bed time for me now, the suns coming up already.

Giskard

barocca
11-09-2002, 08:37
Single Player
Campaign

Save games and quicksaves and autosaves no longer display any information in the list, nor in mouse over.
The names of the file is all you can see.

details for them display $A - or Euor symbol - or o/strikethru - etc...

no date or time information for any save files.

==============

Single Player
Campaign

Random CTD's still occur when you hit esc frome the campaign map, i am still forced to use quicksave before i attempt to save the game properly,
I estimate 1 in 5 attempts to exit to menu result in CTD
- this is an increase from pre-patch for my system.

Dionysus9
11-09-2002, 09:10
This is a repost of a comment I made in another thread, but it is even more appropriate here:
Below I state my opinion, its just my opinion based on my experience with the patch. I am having the same stability problems as before with no real improvement, and in fact it has gotten slightly worse:

1) Bizarre numbers by some players names in the lobby are still present (although this is purely cosmetic, it is annoying and suggests deeper problems);

2) Crash to desktop after approx 3 or 4 hosts still present for me. This was my major concern with v1.0 and it hasn't been improved. I'm still crashing to desktop approx 25% of the time I host a game--what gives?;

3) "Disconnected from Server" message appears after 50-75% of games, at the results screen. I can still talk to the lobby but cant move from the results screen until I click the red seal on the parchment, which then actually drop me from the server. With quick relog time and the ability to talk to the lobby after games, this is also just a minor inconvenience (also speaks to deeper problems though).

4) In game stability seems to be the same or possibly slightly less stable. I got numerous "game state diverged" messages and related drops. But with the new non-routing allies this causes lost games, see below.

5) Big Problem: Now that dropped players dont rout, when they drop before deployment it locks the entire game up and you have to ESC back to the lobby. Since most drops occur prior to deployment this is a serious issue and has resulted in several fouled games (games that we would have been able to continue under v.1.0.). As it stands now, if a single player drops before deployment, all 7 remaining players must go back to the lobby (sometimes getting disconned, see above), host a new game (sometimes getting dropped to desktop, see above), choose armies, and then try again (only to find another pre-deployment drop). Again, this is a serious, serious problem--albeit with an easy fix. If a player drops before deployment his troops should either auto-deploy or rout (no penalties to incur).

6) This is not a bug, per se, but just a new annoyance: Now that dropped armies don't rout (which is a good feature, dont get me wrong, but needs some fine tuning) it is impossible to tell if the player is still present in the game or if he has dropped. Several times last night I was screaming at my ally to help, only to realize he wasnt even there. F1 doesnt reveal he had dropped, and it seemed like he dropped without a message to the game (I could have missed it in the heat of battle). Anyway, this is frustrating not to know if your ally is there or not. We need some kind of mark by their F1 name to tell us they have dropped.

7) Another small problem with implementation of non-rout for dropped allies (not a bug, but an unintended problem, I think)--With players dropping left and right when they begin to lose, the battlefield gets cluttered with stationary units facing everywhich way. When the victors destroy the last remaining player, all "stationary reserve" units should rout. But they dont, the dropped players' units still stand around and the victor has to go around and clean them up. This can get incredibly tedious if there are two or more dropped players, if there are any Hashashin in the dropped army, and furthermore it unrealisticly inflates the number of kills that go to the victor. After all active players have been defeated, the non-active armies should immediately rout.

8) "Invisibile games" may still be present (unconfirmed), as many people were unable to see games that were indeed up. This may be due to the fact v1.1 games are invisible to v1.0 players...too early to say.

9) Still seems to be some problems with greyed out names of players who are in fact in the lobby.

All of that being said ther are a few marked improvements:

1) Log on/off time greatly improved. Pre-patch results suggest a change in gamespy itself and that improved speed is not patch related;

2) #kick,#ban, much needed thank you.

3) Color/Faction distinction works great, looks great, and was much needed, again thanks.

4) Private chat to room chat bug fixed, thanks.

5) Room count, nice touch.

6) Announcment of games being hosted and by whom-- nice.

Also some changes which I am neutral on:

1) In game chat now scrolls from the bottom of left side instead of up the left side. This is annoying at first, but I suspect I will get used to it.

2) Dropped players dont rout-- this is causing numerous problems (see above), but the feature itself is a good idea if implementation is improved (pre-deployment drops result in rout; game requires an active enemy player to continue). A step in the right direction, but not a big enough step.

3) Y/T chat to allies/all. Ok, this is annoying at first because I'm so used to hitting T. I can see the value in it once I retrain my fingers. But sometimes I want to say something and I havent decided if I want to send to allies or to all until I am done typing. Now I have to think before I type, so I seem to talk less because I am busy playing. Good? Bad? I'm neutral on it.

4) Deployed allies cant see enemy deployment. I think this might end up being an improvement. It certainly changes the dynamic of deployment. I don't know how I feel about this yet-- neutral.

5) Balancing-- seems like everything is more expensive. Given the tendency to play at 10k (which is higher than officially advised), these cost increases seem to work nicely. Way too early to say for sure. I've notice that armor for ranged troops (at least normal arbs) seems far less expensive (this is an impression, I havent actually looked at the cost difference). With 3 affordable armor upgrades my arbs will stand and fight cav for much longer. Good? I dunno yet. Different.

OVERALL--

MP stability has slightly decreased for me. No improvement on desktop crashes, no improvement in staying in sync (possibly worse, too early to say), now I have this "disconned" bug when I return to the lobby from a completed game (minor annoyance). The Big Problem is the fact that pre-deployment dropped players can never deploye and so everyone has to Esc from the game. If it wasnt for the Big Problem, I would say the new improvements ameliorate the new (minor) problem of getting disconned after a game. Once the implementation of the non-rout drop feature is improved we might have a patch I can be happy about. If we could top the desktop crashes I would actually cheer.

Anyway, nice work on the improvements. Good luck on the remaining problems and new issues. A lot remains to be done.

Bacchus

(I will spare you the bitter signature)

Lord Krazy
11-09-2002, 09:49
I have yet to get a CTD in campaigne or
in custom battles.

I have not tried multiplayer yet.

LK

barocca
11-09-2002, 16:15
SP Campaign
After you disband units you must open then close then reopen the finance report to get the correct projected income for next year.

If you merely open it and check it will be the projected income callculated PRIOR to disbanding the unit.
To display the correct income projections close the report and reopen it.

====

SP Campaign

Napthat Throwers can fire in the rain????
(I'll try and get a screenshot next time it happens)
==edit==maybe they can fire in light rain?

youssof_Toda
11-09-2002, 17:51
I know I posted this somewhere else too but can't find the post anymore. My question is related to the #### compass; is the techtree still not working properly after the patch or do I have to wait till a certain timeperiod? I've got the fortress, the harbour, the dockyard and the 'compass invented' event but still the game insists I need a compass for futher upgrade? Which one is it: still not working/ wait for certain time period?

+DOC+
11-09-2002, 18:01
Glorious Achievements still don't accrue properly. This seems to go wrong when leaving one period and entering another e.g. Early to High for example.

Some factions get their conquest points added properly, while others do not.

Serious bug this.

goscho
11-09-2002, 21:50
Less game stability. I have 1 or 2 game crashes for day (before almost no crashes). This happen in a screen between end battle and the strategy map screen. I'm not changed any other system options in this time and no new programs installed.
My system - 1 GHz Athlon, 256 MB RAM, MB - VIA KT133A, Graphic - Kyro I 32 MB

In 'error.log' I can see only something like:

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(".\RadarMap\HillyInland05.map", "wb") - "No such file or directory"(2)

(direct copy from the log file)

Tryed to install the latest graphic drivers whithout change (these were released after the outcomming of MTW. I played before with the latest pre-MTW drivers)

Kraellin
11-10-2002, 01:49
i still cant get a castle, made with the editor, to show the walls and towers falling down when detroyed by artillery. they report as damaged when you mouse over them, but still show as standing as if never hit. you can even walk through completely destroyed walls but they dont LOOK destroyed and no animations play when each percentage gets damaged. this is only on castle maps that i make in the editor; the normal game maps work just fine.

K.

Spino
11-10-2002, 04:15
SP Campaign Game

Playing the English in a Glorious Achievements Early era campaign. This is a NEW 1.1 version campaign. The French succumbed to widespread rebellions (their king was awful) and invasions by Spain. England (myself) and Spain swiped up whatever rebellious territories were left. 30+ years go by and I get the 'faction reemerges' message. It turns out that a French heir has decided to reclaim the throne and is leading an uprising in the province of... GEORGIA?? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Georgia is nowhere near the homeland territories of the French Georgia was not connected to any French territory by an unbroken string of ships How in blazes did this happen?

Take note that I made sure never to let loyalty in those formerly French provinces fall below 160%.

UPDATE
Since establishing a trade fleet in the Black Sea I now can take a look at the French forces in Georgia. There are two stacks comprised of the following units: 5 Royal Knights, 7 Feudal Knights, 8 Spearmen, 2 Feudal Foot Knights, 2 Archers, 3 Militia Sergeants and 1 Catapault That's a bit much don't you think?

Shumeisan
11-10-2002, 10:37
I made my first MP games with the patch and noticed (in French version):
1- A bug in the Faction standard in the result screen. The standards are mixed among the players of the same side. (eg: I played a 3v3 as French my allies were Almohads and Spain and in the final screen -when you come back to foyer- my standard was Spain the one for the real Almohad was French etc.)
I had this bug in each xvx I played (x>1)
2- A bug in the logFiles : Amount of florins spent are not the real ones and often are > to the real ones (for me and for players that I am trusting one was #17k instead of #12k &#33http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
3- A bug in the logFiles : I never have Attackers noticed at the beginning of the logfiles.

These 3 bugs if they really are some are really easy to notice...

barocca
11-10-2002, 12:44
SP Campaign

What on earth is the Inquistor mission
"Inquisition of Individual"?
they just sit there with this mission and i'm not sure if they are running an Inquisition on the whole province,
- or if it's an error message of some sort...

Upload bug files here

download bug files here
http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWbeta/

========

Kraellin Could you upload the map and a screenshot showing mouse over displaying damage/% please.
B.

Kraellin
11-10-2002, 22:03
well, you just solved the dilemma, bar,

it seems that the problem is if you make a map with a castle and then go immediately to a custom game to play it. that's when the thing goofs up. however, when you asked me for a screenshot, i loaded the game new and tried a map i'd made yesterday and it worked just fine. so apparently something doesnt get loaded when you first make a new map and then go and immediately play it in custom.

k, i can live with this. this is now a very minor bug. it is still a bug, as far as i'm concerned, but now a very small one compared to how i thought it was :)

K.

barocca
11-11-2002, 00:51
Kraellin,

now if we add this occurance to the problem that occurs when you are playing SP and then decide to go online and it won't work,
then what we are seeing is more evidence of a mode switching bug.

If you Switch between modes, editor to play game the maps may not behave as they should,
if you switch between playing SP and MP then you may get dropped from MP games,

PROBLEM
Some Files that are loaded for different "modes" edit/play SP/MP etc., are specific to the "mode" you are operating in (edit/SP campaign/MP online).
Switching from one mode to another does not "unload" mode specific files, thus errors and unsual effects" may occur.

WORKAROUND
In all cases where you are changing from one mode to another you need to shut down the game and restart the game.

EDIT - IF YOU SEE YOUR BUG LISTED ALREADY PLEASE MENTION YOU HAVE ALSO SEEN XYZ BUG

barocca
11-11-2002, 14:32
Quote[/b] ]Originally posted by einar in the Entrance Hall

I am playing with russians in the high period and i reached the year 1230 and the mongols appeared. They appeared in great numbers and their army were composed of Heavy Cavalry, Horse Archers, Warriors and steppe cavalry. Great. I think all is perfect now with the patch...but no. When i clicked in one mongol unit i saw the portrait of his general. Their face wasn't a face of a mongol, was the face of an occidental man. All the other units were similar to this. ¡No. This bug assigned the christian portraits to the mongol generals instead of the correct pagan (or mongol portraits). I want that this bug will be included in the appropriate section of bugs reports, i can't post in it. Will this bug be corrected????. Anyone else have noticed this?????.

Lord Krazy
11-11-2002, 14:59
Three days on SP no hangs.
Did not like switch to multiplayer:D
So I think I'll go along with mode
switch thing.

LK

Heinrich VI
11-11-2002, 15:16
the game became slow and sluggish in the tactical battles (same grpahic settings as 1.0)

goscho
11-12-2002, 19:18
It's happen for a fraction to have 2 crusades on the same time. I have the save game year after this happen, but unfortunately I can't upload the file. The page say me the file "Bug_SaveGame_goscho.zip" is not a zip file.:
The spanians have crusades and they wanted to go throught my teritoryes. I(playing Italians) being excommunicated and sieged the pope in Rome and in war with then and don't allow to pass in my teritoryes. In the battle I kill the enemy general and stop the crusade. In the next turn it comes a messagebox - the spanians raised a crusade against another province. The two crusadew were in one province

P.S. for the admins: I try the upload the file with the beta-version of Mozilla 1.2 under Solaris 8. I think the browser send the zip like octet stream, but the script on the page check only if this is (application/x-zip-compressed) stream. In this fall it is equal and can be accepted from the server. Don't expect to touch IE-shit.

goscho
11-12-2002, 19:22
Quote[/b] (goscho @ Nov. 09 2002,14:50)]Less game stability. I have 1 or 2 game crashes for day (before almost no crashes). This happen in a screen between end battle and the strategy map screen. I'm not changed any other system options in this time and no new programs installed.
I think I have a workaround for this problem. If I see that the enemy is fleeing from the battle I set the time cursor to 0% and after the end battle screen I wait some seconds bevore to click to the strategy map. No problems playint active ~6-7h MTW. (in this time I should have 2-3 crashes)

barocca
11-13-2002, 02:51
goscho

try emailing the save file to

barocca_x@hotmail.com
or
clan_doragon@hotmail.com

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

GilJaysmith
11-13-2002, 15:32
Some of the bugs reported here are under investigation at the moment. Thanks for centralising them and for keeping up the flow of info...

Gil ~ CA

TechnoMage of Shadows
11-13-2002, 17:37
I haven't seen this myself yet,
i will look for it as soon as i get to 1230,

from the Entrance Hall
================
Reply by einer:
"...I want to correct the awful christian portraits that the game assign to the mongol generals when they appear in 1230 (or 1231?) in the high period. Maybe i'm a perfectionist but i don't like that bug. I don't know where the mistake is, there are four folders with the portraits images, Orthodox, Muslim, Christian and Pagan. But the game assign the christian portraits to the mongol generals (only after patching, the 1.0 version of the game didn't do this). I am afraid that i won't be able to correct this without hardcoding the game

Well i will wait for another patch :P. ..."
================

I have noticed that the High period Startpos file has only one tab in this line
//Faction Cultures
FN_GOLDEN_HORDE PAGAN_CULTURE
all others have 2 or 3 tabs, i doubt this causes the error,

but when i get to 1230 i will have a look.

Radahl
11-14-2002, 02:56
Don't know if is a bug or just something which had it's abilites cut, but spies now just take up space. I started with my standard 10 in a province and no revolt, so now there are 40 and still nothing.

I only use them when I have to, so no big deal.

einar
11-14-2002, 13:42
Quote[/b] ]Originally posted by TechnoMage of Shadows in The Dungeon:

have noticed that the High period Startpos file has only one tab in this line
//Faction Cultures
FN_GOLDEN_HORDE PAGAN_CULTURE
all others have 2 or 3 tabs, i doubt this causes the error,

but when i get to 1230 i will have a look.

Hmmmm, i think that tab can't be the source of the problem. In the Late period startpos file the line is similar to the high file line and all the mongol generals have a pagan portrait. I don't know what is the cause.

Kraellin
11-15-2002, 00:15
i'm not sure whether to call this a bug or not, but seems like one to me compared to earlier versions of the editor in stw/we/mi.

if you raise a point of land and then simply click on or around where you raised it, this new click with the mouse seems to do the function that used to be reserved for the space bar. this is annoying, particularly if you are trying to click on a new piece of land to simply get the data for doing a control-click.

also, if i make a cliff and then click anywhere along the top ledge of the cliff or near it, it raises the cliff edge up. no idea why this is, but it is undesirable.

btw, i figured out how to get rid of the lapping water in the editor...under certain conditions, anyways.

impassable areas do not now upgrade in real time or with a mode switch. you have to exit the editor and return to get them to show changes.

there are no 'curves' for the forested roads, only straight lines.

fog/haze is undesirable in the editor. it if only going to be either on or off, then i'd prefer off to be able to see better over the long distances.

since this is only for bug reports, i'm not reporting all the good features in the editor and there are quite a few

there is a small bug/text error with starting a map in a particular texture mode, like lush, temperate and so on, and then loading that same map and picking another texture mode. this is very small, but somewhat misleading. once a map is started and saved, you can go back and start the map again and pick another texture mode and restart the map. it still comes up in the original mode with the original textures, so this is a VERY small thing (though it would be kind of cool to be able to mix and match the modes).

impassable zones are still a very large annoyance in trying to trim or delineate or mold. because of the ellipse method being used, you often get the impassable zones running over into areas that you dont want as such. you also get sides of hills that shld be impassable but arent, which leads to some pretty steep inclines that the ai just seems to love to climb. kind of funny seeing men and horses running up an 80 degree incline. the whole impassable zone thing shld be determined manually or at least be adjustable by hand somehow. a nice drag the edge of the zone might work. or, if it could be done completely by hand, then an adjustable overlay system would be my preference. this would also work wonders with water areas such that you could rope off areas that were too deep, but still allow some shallow water traversing.

the lack of the starting position request to have these available for editing into the maps is not truly a bug, but is highly desirable. why not simply put this data into the header portion of the map and allow it to be edited. you could add each players starting position with a flag, this flag would determine where the center of that player's deployment zone is and this would simply, by computing, stretch out and meet the other zones, or end off if it had hit its limits. random start postions could also be designated, or 'traditional' start positions and even the 'thirds of the map' idea could be used, where each team starts on one side of the map with one third of the territory of the map as the starting deployment zone for that team and the middle third as a no man's land.

the new generate a random height map works nicely. could we possibly have a extra slider or percentage input thing that would allow us to make smoother maps and less smooth by percentage? the current feature tends to make only very hilly maps...very hilly. i do like it though.

ok, i'm exceeding the boundaries of this topic. i'll stop now :)

K.

ichabod
11-15-2002, 01:39
Novel Bug post patch (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=1809;)
just to keep centralized

==== edit by barocca ====
GilJay - you have to go look at this one,

Ichabod - could you zip the save file/files and upload them here
label "BUG_savegame_ichabod1.zip", "BUG_savegame_ichabod2.zip" etc.

ulyanov
11-15-2002, 15:22
This is pretty minor by the accounts above, but in Tunisia the Port Icon is in the "Gulf of Gabes" yet your ship must be in the "African Coast" to move units...

I will admit, though, that this is a 1.0 started game now under 1.1, but shouldn't be hard to verify...

GilJaysmith
11-15-2002, 15:36
Quote[/b] (ichabod @ Nov. 14 2002,18:39)]Novel Bug post patch (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=1809;)
just to keep centralized

Noted, waiting for savegames.

Gil ~ CA

Negative
11-15-2002, 17:39
I hope these haven't been posted somewhere else.

1. Can't build any ships above Baroque. Every time I right click on shipyard it still says I'm waiting for the compass event even though it has already happened. I've reinstalled the game and am waiting to get to the compass event again to see if this fixed anything.

2. Crusades no longer ask for permission to enter my lands. They just go passing through sucking up my troops even though I don't want to let them. Maybe this is a new feature? Just in case it matters I've been playing as the HRE Early. This has happened before and after I reinstalled the game and installed the patch.

barocca
11-16-2002, 03:54
Quote[/b] ]Heinrich VI Mercenary
Posted: Nov. 14 2002,11:55 in Main Hall

found a bug. inquisitors build in castille dont get the +1 valour bonus they should get according to the strat map.

(unconfirmed)

Mithrandir
11-21-2002, 14:58
Game crashed to desktop during big battle (my pc could handle it fine, no lag either).

I zipped up all the txt files in the MTW root dir and uploaded it to the org,

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloa....rir.zip (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWbeta/Bug_CTD_reportfiles_Mithandrir.zip)

====
adjusted file name
B.

Mithrandir
11-21-2002, 21:05
It's lame enough that the massrebellions are still in the game but to give longbowman to Germans (while I-English- still can't build them?) Sorry, I know, no whining, but I really dislike the mass rebellions...

HopAlongBunny
11-22-2002, 06:46
As noted:

GA points not calculated properly; rebels forces in provinces often have forces the time period does not allow (my favourite was Lancers in Ile de France during Early-cheapest way to get them though http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ); event notices and ability they should give not in synch ie: how long after the notice do you need to wait?

I thought there was valour upgrades for Master shops, incl Master Horse Breeder-sometimes there is sometimes there isn't Doh I have checked and I am not confusing the sometime effect with territorial specials.

All apply to SP

barocca
11-22-2002, 18:58
SP Campaigns

User create campaigns still fail to display the custom descriptions UNLESS you first select a "release" campaign and THEN select a user made campaign.

barocca
11-22-2002, 19:01
SP Campaign

GA points for successfull crusades fail to be awarded

UNLESS after conquering the province garrison the castle,
then move enough men out of the province to entice the AI to invade the province,

THEN choose Retreat to Castle and you will get the GA points for a successfull Crusade.

Gregoshi
11-22-2002, 23:07
This is from rpasell posted in the EH regarding the SP Campaign:

Quote[/b] ]
I notices yesterday that the HRE had a barque in the Atlantic. Is that a bug or are barques now non-costal, the description still says it is a costal vessel.

To which Basileus replied:

Quote[/b] ]
Theres nothing about this in the patch info but it has happend to me aswell, the english had 2 barques in the atlantic..

fodder
11-26-2002, 01:22
GA points not added correctly - i have seen only homeland points added and other times only conquest points added.

Not just post-patch, but units not withdrawing properly or reinforcements not arriving - the icon flashes between marching quickly and standing and the unit doesnt leave the map.

ichabod
11-26-2002, 01:32
Quote[/b] (GilJaysmith @ Nov. 15 2002,08:36)]
Quote[/b] (ichabod @ Nov. 14 2002,18:39)]Novel Bug post patch (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=1809;)
just to keep centralized

Noted, waiting for savegames.

Gil ~ CA
[QUOTE]
Did you get the files OK? If not let me know, otherwise I'll assume you got them & are busy at work. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif
P.S. Solypsist, for some reason the picture link on the original post is no longer working?
Thanks to all who work so hard on this great game/forum.

Mithrandir
11-26-2002, 20:16
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the immortal General/King bug is still very much present...

barocca
11-27-2002, 07:42
SP Battles

Hosakawa Tito
---------
I just had a battle in my Danish campaign against the Golden Horde. I was defending a bridge in Kiev. My favorite tactic is to march a defensive unit, in this case mercenary halbediers, halfway onto the bridge and stop them there, hold formation hold position. I place arbs and archers on each flank of the bridge at the waters edge. The attackers charge across and engage my unit on the bridge. My halbediers hold the attackers in place, and my missle troops massacre them. When the halbediers get whittled down, I move another unit onto the bridge to relieve them. I tried to withdraw them off the map for a fresh unit, but some of them remained on the bridge like they were stuck in place. I couldn't advance or withdraw them. I won the battle anyway, but good thing I didn't need that fresh unit or it could have cost me the battle. I've had units in STW and MI get stuck once in a while, but never on a bridge. Anyone else ever see this in MTW?
---------

LadyAnn
---------
I saw it once. I change the unit to "engage at will" so they could break rank and be on the narrower bridge. It seems to work. Don't know if it was a map problem or not though. Those got stuck are the spears.
Annie
---------

MizuKokami
---------
i've had a few times where i've tried to withdraw a unit off the battlefield to bring in reinforcements, and the unit seems to be stuck on the edge of the map in a place you can't see. the unit icon shows it as withdrawing, but the halt button in the commands is flashing. just clicking it once doesn't work in getting the unit to obey, but clicking it several times real fast brings the unit back to the field so i can move it to a place where i can direct it to withdraw without getting stuck. if you get a unit stuck again, check and see if any buttons are flashing. maybe this is a bug. keep us posted.
---------

deejayvee
---------
In one battle I had 2 units of Polish retainers that had been mauled to pieces and was trying to withdraw them and they'd get stuck somewhere between leaving the map and actually leaving the battle just like MizuKokami mentioned. Only thing was there was no flashing of the halt button. I just pressed it and they came back on the field. Then every time I tried to withdraw these Polish retainers they'd get stuck. Eventually I routed them and they left. A couple of other units had to be withdrawn too and they worked ok. It was only the retainers.
---------

MizuKokami
---------
i think the problem that i've seen has been only when withdrawing them through trees. after getting the units back, i move them over to a clear area and can withdraw them as normal. maybe the units are getting stuck on certain textures?
---------

Hosakawa Tito
---------
I believe you are right Mizu. If it happens to me again I'm going to try what Lady Ann suggested, change their formation/engage at will etc... don't know if it will help, but is worth a try.
---------

pdoan8
---------
If unit gets stuck at the edge of the map (while they are withdrawing), you can try to cancel the withdrawal order (Backspace), move them back (onto the map) by clicking any where on the map then withdraw them again. It always works for me.
---------

deejayvee
---------
Well, with my Polish retainers I withdrew, halted and withdrew again a couple of times, but they didn't leave until I routed them.

However, they were withdrawing through trees, so Mizu's answer would explain it.
---------

Barocca
---------
This is quite frustrating,
i have seen units stuck withdrawing from the map this several times.

Workaround
cancel the withdrawal order,
either by select unit and press backspace,
or by multiple clicking on the halt button, unit will return to the field, then move to an area clear of trees and withdraw again,
or rout the the unit.

magnum
11-28-2002, 01:46
More on the GA Crusade issue.

1) If the province has no fort/castle/etc, you will not get the GA points when you lose the province. You must be forced (choosing retreat to castle might work) back into a castle structure.

2) Once (if) you loose the castle you will get your crusade marker back in the starting province so you can re-launch it.

3) You can do this multiple times. For example, if you take Palistine, build a fort (if it doesn't have one) and then lose the province to a muslim faction, you'll get the 12 GA points. Now, when they finally take the castle you get your crusade marker back (with accompaning text so apparently this is working as intended). Now launch the crusade (you have to pay the pope again, but you saved the 1000 florins required to build the crusade marker) against Palestine. Take the province, rebuild fort if necessary. Lose province to muslims and once again you'll get 12 more GA points.

To really abuse #3, build 3 crusade markers. Launch them against all three of the coastal Crusade GA targets (you've got a fleet stretching there right? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif ) Go through the stated steps, eventlly losing the provinces. (Heck, I was moving all but one or two units out to conserve units.) Once the Egyptians (in my case) retook a province, I immediately relaunched the crusade against the same target.

Not only did I get tons of crusade only troops for a cheap cheap price, but needless to say, won that GA game by a large margin. Personally I think the multiple GA crusade points is a bug, and not entirely sure that you should get the crusade marker back even though that part seems to be intentional.

Magnum

Mithrandir
11-28-2002, 23:42
I was invaded by the egyptians, even though they didn't have any ships in the region and I even owned 1 of the 2 coastal seas (they did not own the other). Got a screenshot if requested...

barocca
12-09-2002, 09:44
MP Setup Bug

posted by Kongamato
Posted: Dec. 07 2002,00:45
--------------------
In a recent multiplayer game(before I crashed), the player I was attacking had his ambush given away before the battle even begun.

During the army setup phase, I heard the footsteps of a unit being placed on the ground near me and I saw dust rising from the clump of trees to my right. Once the battle began, a unit I sent as recon uncovered his 3 units of Gothic Knights hiding in the trees. I then crashed, but if the battle had gone on I probably would have been able to counter his ambush with an unfair advantage.

I believe that the feature I just exploited detracts from the game, and ruined the ambush set by my opponent. If CA is reading this, I hope you guys can get this fixed.

barocca
12-10-2002, 15:46
SP Campaign
and the sicilian princesses bug still happens,

if you enable and play as the sicilian faction and keep the king in sicily the princesses do not appear on the strategic map,

Workaround
if you ensure all princesses are under age first turn and move the king out of sicily on the first turn then the princesses should appear as normal

CeltiberoMordred
12-11-2002, 04:25
I noticed that sometimes some armies dissappear from the strategic map, but i can recover them using the army scroll button (bottom left). I pick the invisible armies and their troops appear below. I select each one, i move them to the province they were and reappear.

GilJaysmith
12-11-2002, 14:20
Just to confirm that we're grateful for these bug reports - keep 'em coming.

Gil ~ CA

Kraellin
12-12-2002, 00:41
this is a confirmation and additional note on barocca's sicilian princess bug...

Quote[/b] ]SP Campaign
and the sicilian princesses bug still happens,

if you enable and play as the sicilian faction and keep the king in sicily the princesses do not appear on the strategic map,

Workaround
if you ensure all princesses are under age first turn and move the king out of sicily on the first turn then the princesses should appear as normal

in my game as the sicilians, you dont have to move the king; the princess will show up in the heir's list as normal when she comes of age, but wont show up in the agent list or on the campaign map. if you wait about 2 years, she will show up all on her own in the agent list and the map. however, if, while she's only showing in the heir's list as being of age, but not in the agent list or on the map and you click on her name, you will crash to desktop every time.

the workaround is, DONT CLICK ON THE PRINCESS IN THE HEIR'S LIST ;)

i dont know if this is also true of any other faction or if it works this way in the default campaign game. i've only tested it and seen it occur in this modded game.

K.

fodder
12-15-2002, 00:55
Quote[/b] (barocca @ Nov. 15 2002,20:54)]
Quote[/b] ]Heinrich VI Mercenary
Posted: Nov. 14 2002,11:55 in Main Hall

found a bug. inquisitors build in castille dont get the +1 valour bonus they should get according to the strat map.

(unconfirmed)
I have also seen this, inquisitors are produced in castile at 0 valour.

Exile
12-17-2002, 00:21
1. SP crash - Occasional crash during the announcements in the beginning of a year. This did not happen pre-patch. Seems to be random although it usally happens shortly after a battle. Three or four announcements appear with no problem, then the game just shuts down. Faction does no seem to be a factor as it occured with the 4 different factions I've played since the patch.

2. Polish Faction - if I have maximum units garrisoned in the citadel in Poland, the new units I am producing never appear. The unit I was supposed to train disappears off the unit production que, but never shows up on the map. Once I took my garrisoned troops out of the citadel everything was fine.

barocca
12-23-2002, 01:41
SP Campaign
New patron SSNeoperestroika asks:
---------snip---------
"I've had MTW since it came out. Quite some time ago I decided to alter it to play all factions (turns out it was a lot easier than I thought, eh
Anyway, I discovered the Prince portraits then, and would like to know why they are never used. Why are General Portraits used in their place? Or where are these portraits used? Is it a glitch?...."
---------snip---------

a bug i think,
just ran a process monitor to check if all the folders and files were in correct place/name etc.
and Medieval doesn't even look for prince portraits
- it loads the generals portraits whenever you click on an heir...

WesW
01-08-2003, 22:48
---------snip---------

a bug i think,
just ran a process monitor to check if all the folders and files were in correct place/name etc.
and Medieval doesn't even look for prince portraits
- it loads the generals portraits whenever you click on an heir...

In looking through the files the other day, I saw code where you were supposed to assign princes to units when they came of age. This seems to be an early concept that was later abandoned, perhaps because the AI could not be made to perform the function properly. This was probably when the prince portraits were forgotten about.

New bug report: None of the minor factions, except for the Swiss and Burgundians, have code that creates titles when palaces like the Chancellory are built. This is a major annoyance when you play as one of those factions in a modded game, but it would also hurt those factions in all games.

Correcting bug: You can simply copy the existing code for other factions and change the faction names to the necessry ones in the three campaign files located in the campmap/startpos folder.[/B]

New bug report: The Varangian Guard are not allowed in the late age, nor are Longboats, and several of the more advanced Catholic units may appear in Orthodox rebellions.
These bugs can be changed easily enough in the crusaders unit build file, assuming you are familiar with the file, but it would be nice for the company to correct these themselves and release a small patch.

Note on sound stuttering: I played on a fairly new and quite capable computer when I first got the game, and experienced the sound stuttering that many have reported. Well, I got a new computer of my own a couple months ago, and everything has run as smooth as silk on the new machine. The ram on the two systems is identical, so it would seem that an advanced sound and/or video card is required for the game to function smoothly.

Red Harvest
02-16-2003, 06:29
Loyalty Save/Reload Bug

I've tested this a few different ways. If you have some marginal loyalty provinces, "save", then reload the turn. Loyalty is boosted. Provinces often see ~20% boost. Some negative impact on loyalty is not being calculated on the first turn of a load. In the next turn loyalty effects do appear to be properly handled once again.

Elmo
02-21-2003, 12:53
Not sure why I'm bothering to report a bug. CA won't patch MTW again and I won't buy Vikings to get bug fixes, but here it is anyway:

An heir came to maturity with a vice that says he is easier to bribe. Can't recall the name of the vice now. Of course heirs can't be bribed so this is a bug in the vice assignment routine.

Red Harvest
02-24-2003, 18:47
Trapped Relievers' Castle Siege Length Bug

In certain situations, a large garrison can hold out indefinitely. Message will be something like "this castle will not fall without direct assault." The times I have seen this are when there are few defenders on the opening turn of the siege, then a large relieving force attacks the following turn and fails to break the siege. They end up trapped in the castle as well. But the game fails to recalculate siege length, so 300 or 400 men can hold out forever. You either have to do a horrendously costly assault, or abandon the province then re-attack, or bribe them.

Red Harvest
02-26-2003, 23:30
More of a "unintended gameplay feature" than a bug:

Loyalty Boost/No Penalty for not following through on Castle Assault"

If as the besieger you find your besieging forces too few to maintain province loyalty, or if you lack appropriate siege weaponry, or want to use troops elsewhere, but you don't want to do a horrific assault: assault the castle anyway. This will boost loyalty tremendously for the turn. When it comes time to fight the battle, choose "abandon the attack". You can do this turn after turn without ever getting a rebellion, or a nasty vice. Seems to me like chance of rebellion should be based on what loyalty would have been had you not selected castle assault (since you abandoned it). You should not have your cake and eat it too. You should also have some percentage chance of getting a cowardly or indecisive vice.

This is a "cheesy" human tactic, so other than initial testing I haven't used it. I don't think the AI does it so it adds to play imbalance in SP.

Red Harvest
02-27-2003, 07:00
AI code for javelin foot soldiers is lacking

From experimenting with Murabitin, Almughavar, and Kerns I find that the tactical interface does not work well with the foot javelin units. The AI should be able to throw at least one volley into the face of a charge and either hold position and fight, or withdraw. Presently, the javelin unit tends to just run without ever throwing anything. Plus rear javelin individual should throw spears over their melee javelin brethren from their own unit into the enemy rear. Javelins should do well just behind the main line, but they tend to flee until they are out of range instead. They can be made to work properly, but it takes so much micro management and so many commands that they are a hindrance in battle rather than a help. The AI uses them poorly as well. The AI does very well with Spanish Jinettes, perhaps because they are so fast and work more as light cavalry.

Red Harvest
03-05-2003, 05:59
Listing a few of the better known simple coding errors in the current game:
1. Tunisian port graphic is in the Sea of Gabes, but the actual port/merchant/troop embarkation point is the African Coast. Historic info I've seen suggests the port should be in the Sea of Gabes as illustrated, but that the order of the sea zones was accidentally reversed leading to the current mismatch.
2. Mounted crossbowmen should not be available until the invention of the crossbow like the other crossbowmen and arbalests ("High" period rather than "early".)
3. Various minor factions lack "offices" for governmental buildings (chancellor and the like) except for Swiss and Burgundians. Handicaps the other minor factions since they lose command stars and/or acumen for various leaders.
4. Footknights are not buildable (without mods of course.)
5. Rains incessantly.
6. Autocalc doesn't properly handle castle sieges, fails to calculate significant losses for attacker due to fortifications--particularly when the attacker lacks siege equipment.

Couple of things that might not be true "bugs" but certainly don't fit with the rest of the game...

7. Varangian guards are not available to the Byzantines in Late. The Byz are already handicapped by the lack of spear units in Late. Taking away the Varangians is a pretty heavy blow to add to it.
8. Polish Retainers should be available in more than a single province (a few neighboring provinces would make sense.) They are of little use to the Poles because of this restriction.
9. Lithuanian cavalry is at least one full set of building upgrades above what it should be when compared to other cav units. Why the "Swordsmith3" requirement for lance armed cav/archers? Shouldn't this be "Spearmaker2" or "3" or something? Why "HorseFarmer4" for *light* cav?
10. Dismount choices for many cav/camel are a bit strange and the Muslim units really have poor selection--seems like they should get some sort of "special" upgraded version of the equivalent foot unit that they presently have. Afterall, the men in question would likely be better fed, better armed/armoured, and of higher morale than their counterparts.