PDA

View Full Version : You need a supercomputer to run this game

PittBull260
12-03-2010, 19:17
Judging from the screenshots, it looks like you will need a completely up to date powerhouse computer with the most sickest graphics card or even cards, to play this game.

People like me who have financially suffered since the economy collapsed will hate this game!! Simply because we can't play it....

That's the one thing I hate about computer games, every year you have to buy new parts for the computer in order to be able to play these games. That's like having a PS3 and buying a new PS3 every year....

AggonyKing
12-03-2010, 19:34
I don't know about that. Same engine as NTW, and my not so good rig can run NTW high settings. :2thumbsup:

Phog_of_War
12-03-2010, 21:18
I don't know about that. Same engine as NTW, and my not so good rig can run NTW high settings. :2thumbsup:

Indeed. CA claims that Shogun will be even more scaleable (sp?) than even ETW or Napoleon.

I have an ok card, 9800GT and 3G RAM and a Quad core, and I run Napoleon with no problems oh high settings. So i think (hope) that all will be well when Shogun releases.

A Nerd
12-03-2010, 21:23
I have always turned the unit detial up to highest, units on largest and turned down the rest. For I could never play everything on ulitmate. I was always pleased with the results. Turning off the grass and shadows helps alot with performance as well. I never really thought they were needed anyway.

PittBull260
12-03-2010, 21:29
mabe I'm just poor :(

AggonyKing
12-03-2010, 21:30
mabe I'm just poor :(lol well what do you have? :P

Reenk Roink
12-03-2010, 22:40
Gotta buy a new computer around the time Shogun comes out anyway so it works out for me. :beam:

PittBull260
12-05-2010, 00:00
lol well what do you have? :P

oh dude u don't wanna know. I barely run M2TW on slightly high settings.
Im not too computer smart but this is what I know
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3GHZ (i duno what this means that's what it says under 'my computer' properties)
1 Gig of RAM
Graphics Card- Radeon X1950 Pro (not sure what the other number is, the MBs or something)

that's about all I know man..sorry :(
but it's kinda old it won't run S2TW, no way in hell

Swoosh So
12-05-2010, 12:41
£400 and you could build a pc that will play stw2 using parts from the old one probably cheaper in the usa as we pay VAT on everything here. Im talking about playing it well tho.
Around £130 for a quad core processor or a good dual core.
Around £80 for your 4gb ram.
Around £120 for a decent graphics card such as the nvidia 460.
Around £80 for a decent mobo (you can get cheaper ones also around £65).

You can probably convert those prices in pounds straight to dollars we get ripped off for everything in the UK.

Tomisama
12-05-2010, 13:55
I am on my fourth computer purchased over the last ten years in the pursuit of playing Total War games. The last one cost me as much as the car I was driving at the time. It is all a matter of your priorities. If you love these games, you will make it happen.

Last night I was in a local Wal-Mart Superstore browsing the electronics department, and found a stack of computer boxes on an end-cap on sale for under 500 dollars. I looked at the specs just for fun, and was amazed at what you can get off the shelf these days.

Online I found what I believe is the same system for a bit more (posted below), but also found dedicated gaming systems for the same price. In comparison to just five years ago, they are practically giving these systems away.

•AMD Phenom II 840T Quad-Core processor
2.90GHz, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache

•6GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

•1TB SATA hard drive
Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more

•Blu-ray Disc Player & SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Watch HD movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

•10/100Base-T Ethernet, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with built-in 802.11 (b/g or n) connection built into your PC

•ATI Radeon HD 5450 Series Graphics
With 512MB DDR5 dedicated graphics memory, DVI and HDMI capabilities and support for Blu-ray and Microsoft DirectX 11

:san_wink:

Raz
12-05-2010, 14:10
I am on my fourth computer purchased over the last ten years in the pursuit of playing Total War games. The last one cost me as much as the car I was driving at the time. It is all a matter of your priorities. If you love these games, you will make it happen.

Last night I was in a local Wal-Mart Superstore browsing the electronics department, and found a stack of computer boxes on an end-cap on sale for under 500 dollars. I looked at the specs just for fun, and was amazed at what you can get off the shelf these days.

Online I found what I believe is the same system for a bit more (posted below), but also found dedicated gaming systems for the same price. In comparison to just five years ago, they are practically giving these systems away.

•AMD Phenom II 840T Quad-Core processor
2.90GHz, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache

•6GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

•1TB SATA hard drive
Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more

•Blu-ray Disc Player & SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Watch HD movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

•10/100Base-T Ethernet, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with built-in 802.11 (b/g or n) connection built into your PC

•ATI Radeon HD 5450 Series Graphics
With 512MB DDR5 dedicated graphics memory, DVI and HDMI capabilities and support for Blu-ray and Microsoft DirectX 11

:san_wink:

That would cost upwards of $1200 AUD if you bought it built to spec.
I doubt you'd ever find something like that straight off the shelf here.
Even assembling it yourself, the parts' prices would be blown skyhigh compared to any developed nation (IM [uninformed] O <_<)

When it comes to what an aussie dollar will actually get you, Australia is a horrible place.

Tomisama
12-05-2010, 16:02
When it comes to what an aussie dollar will actually get you, Australia is a horrible place.

The question; does Walmart ship to Australia?

walmart does not but you can do international shipping with bongos.com it can ship walmart stuff to your homehttp://www.goftp.com/qna/Does_walmart_ship_to_australia_is_there_an_option-qna231292.html

Just some examples (there are many)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Civilization-V-PC-Gaming-Bundle/15128055
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPower-GUA103/14089720

Ship it!

http://www.bongous.com/

Might be worth lookin into?

Walmart may be coming to you soon anyway.

WAL-MART, the world's biggest retailer, which last week gave up on Germany, is reportedly looking at trying its luck in Australia and is sizing up our two biggest supermarket operators, Coles Myer and Woolworths.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/walmart-eyes-australia/2006/07/30/1154198011039.html

Swoosh So
12-05-2010, 18:17
Never buy a pc from a store if your on budget, buy the parts and build it yourself, if you can do lego you can build pcs...

PittBull260
12-07-2010, 22:10
£400 and you could build a pc that will play stw2 using parts from the old one probably cheaper in the usa as we pay VAT on everything here. Im talking about playing it well tho.
Around £130 for a quad core processor or a good dual core.
Around £80 for your 4gb ram.
Around £120 for a decent graphics card such as the nvidia 460.
Around £80 for a decent mobo (you can get cheaper ones also around £65).

You can probably convert those prices in pounds straight to dollars we get ripped off for everything in the UK.

I will definitely think about that. Taxes are coming up too so I won't even have to save up

rory_20_uk
12-11-2010, 13:50
The RAM was the most deficient thing on the list.

"Getting" windows 7 will also help especially if you're on Vista; if you're on 4GB RAM, which you should be, a 64 bit version again will help.

Does the game utilise 4 processors or only 2? Some scale better than others.

~:smoking: