PDA

View Full Version : Totalwar: Shogun2 Battle report number 2

Swoosh So
12-16-2010, 22:39
New battle report a 15 minute siege battle report vs the ai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CItSb0SVZOw&feature=player_embedded#!

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
12-16-2010, 22:58
Looks cool.

Phog_of_War
12-16-2010, 23:04
Sobering to see a Dev, even horribly outnumbered, get crushed by the AI.

Magyar Khan
12-17-2010, 16:04
well thats the illusion CA wants to give u , that the ai is perfect.... im sure the defender is far from perfect :)

Sp00n
12-18-2010, 02:41
well thats the illusion CA wants to give u , that the ai is perfect.... im sure the defender is far from perfect :)

He looked awful tbh lol, but in general the AI does look better than anything we have seen in a TW game yet. It looked like you can defend the walls which he chose not to do. Looks nice though.

Magyar Khan
12-18-2010, 14:26
hiya spoon perhaps the attack is scripted :)

AMP
12-18-2010, 17:58
The standard bumpy road camera movement over terrain hasn't changed yet I see. This one of the reasons why camerafreedom is a must and someday they'll be kind enough to add it in as an option and not always have to add it in by the pref config.

The banners are to big and don't look as cool as they could be. I can close my eyes and imagine better ones in just a few seconds - good imagination FTW.

We can scale walls now, but can't have soldiers in guard towers... hard groups only FTW there.

Routing soldiers dancing back and forth getting cut down without a fight.. heh.

Even if it was realistic for that time those big balloons on the backs look ugly. I'd rather see a cool looking shield flipped on the back for protection against arrows, but that wasn't Jap style. It looked like it could be a annoying to fight with a big balloon ball on your back.

The AI will never be as good as a human player on this scale, so keep trying and wishing for it to be, but the AI will always be exploitable by a smart human player or even a stupid human who puts in enough time and gathers enough xp to figure out the AI faults.

The defender was just sounding and acting like a nut anyway and not taking it serious. If he was trying it obvious he doesn't play the game and just tries to promote it.

Atleast the movement of units looked more fluid, but I can't wait until the day I find a game like TW that doesn't have hard rubberbanded units.

Looks like they are saving the battle type which we play most and in the right season and time of day for last. Because we've seen so far the ones we play the least - night time, winter, and sieges.. :p

Kocmoc
12-23-2010, 11:10
Sadly, that this all doesnt really answer our questions.

Its still anything possible....
We might get a good balanced game with a great gameplay or get tons of bugs with units we cant really control at all.

Who really care about AI? As AMP wrote, it never will be any good, in the end it doesnt matter for MP anyway.
Give us some real info, what is with all our suggestions and ideas? Anything of that got looked at or any attention?

CA promote the game and show us many nice looking things, thats working for some moments.... Its like my kids, eyecandy works for some minutes, after that the stuff get hard proof
by them, a good tool hold weeks, the bad things are destroyed in a moment...
Now watching a Vid is fine, even a little big entertaining, but after that i get back to important questions we all have.

The more CA comes up with such stuff, the smaller the chance get that we get what we want!

Orda Khan
12-28-2010, 13:24
I just watched this battle. You are being very generous, Sp00n when you called him awful. Regardless of the fact that the defender seemed utterly clueless, I just see the same horrible battlefield/units that RTW introduced. There appears to be an attempt to reintroduce the war banners and standards but they are horrible, tacked on and lack the finesse of the originals, 10 years ago. I don't see any real progress.

As for units running up castle walls, I fail to see why anyone would fight a seige (I'd never fight one anyway but for those who enjoy that sort of thing) all you do is put yourself at a disadvantage by restricting movement, while the attacker can just run up walls in seconds.

Utter rubbish.

Magyar Khan
12-28-2010, 20:11
good point orda...... are the defender units able to climb their own walls too?

Orda Khan
12-30-2010, 18:59
Well I began to wonder quite early......erm, all h2h units in a 'blob' (yes he actually said it) so they can be sent anywhere at haste (??!!??) Archers at outer perimeters ....... completely unsupported (very clever tactics ??!!??) So I expected to see some arrow casualties at least......but......
Heavily armoured troops swarming up walls like they don't exist??? What are these units? Naginata spidermen? Of course our illustrious general had no h2h troops near to prevent their progress.

From the screens I've seen and now this, it looks just like any other offering since RTW, even down to that horrible, false glow from the battlemap.

You won't be getting Shogun back and it certainly doesn't look better! Shogun was great back in 2000 but total war has had its day by the looks of it.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
01-01-2011, 01:45
Don't be so negative Orda, With my fullest respect,One must understand it's time to move on and try to do more with less and have fun on MP or just.....quit and play something else.

Swoosh So
01-01-2011, 17:42
On the positive side NTW was a good game imo the best since mtw1, considering stw2 uses that same engine i would expect to see quite a polished game although yes i do worry about how the melee looks in the video it has just never been as well defined as stw and mtw1 since then :(

pevergreen
01-01-2011, 17:54
I disagree. I think Rome, although not great to start with, is still beyond any of the more recent games.

Campaign had more depth, better units and factions, was easy to mod and a semi decent multiplayer.

Swoosh So
01-03-2011, 02:46
I was talking about multiplayer :) i agree rome was nice the campaign was fun and is one of my fav eras also the mods were v good.