https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdjPNDLIds&feature=player_embedded

Looks VERY cool.

Phog_of_War
01-05-2011, 06:28
Yes new, but posted already with 3 others from Gamestar in this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/content.php?118-4-New-Totalwar-Videos

Gregoshi
01-05-2011, 07:37
It does indeed look to be the same video as in the other thread, so I'll close this one.

Gregoshi
01-05-2011, 18:49
Upon further review, I'm a moron. The other thread is in the MP forum. I'll re-open this one for discussion from the SP angle - of which this video is definitely more appropriate. My apologize for closing the thread.

A Nerd
01-05-2011, 18:54
I found the video to be visually appealing, I just wish that I could have understood the language so that I might know some of the features he was introducing/explaining. My campaigning experience only goes up to ETW. I would like to know what has changed.

TosaInu
01-05-2011, 20:14
The in game movies have the same look and feel as STW, that is nice. It seems to have a family tree too, looks nice.

Barkhorn1x
01-05-2011, 22:43
The other thread is in the MP forum.

I was wondering why I didn't see it. Thanks for restoring my faith in my sanity level.

;)

Ibn-Khaldun
01-06-2011, 15:10
Map looks beautiful! ~:)

Gregoshi
01-06-2011, 15:47
Though I've a bad experience with the 3D map from RTW, I have to say I am impressed with the cleverness of the 2D/3D map. I hope the 3D map plays better this time around.

TosaInu
01-06-2011, 16:58
Did I miss something? I only see 3D, where's that 2D map?

While the AI might struggle with the 3D map, but I hasten to say it could be annoying on the 2D map too, I thought the 3D strat map was one of the nice features in RTW. It adds a perfect layer between turn based strategy and real time battles.

ReluctantSamurai
01-06-2011, 17:13
I seriously doubt that the AI will be made significantly good enough to be able to use the 3D map properly. Not cost effective, as someone once put it, to write the enormous amount of code needed for that. Instead, I hope they thoroughly playtest it to remove as many LoS problems as can be found, and arrange province assets in such a way that we don't get another game of "siegefests".

Some sort of algorithm that keeps track of what units need to be raised by a clan would be a welcome bonus. I dread to see a clan with a single port province spamming endless stacks of warships while it's cities fall one by one due to a lack of ground troops.............

But.....it certainly looks good so far...

Ibn-Khaldun
01-06-2011, 18:05
Did I miss something? I only see 3D, where's that 2D map?

While the AI might struggle with the 3D map, but I hasten to say it could be annoying on the 2D map too, I thought the 3D strat map was one of the nice features in RTW. It adds a perfect layer between turn based strategy and real time battles.

The area you don't see is represented with the 2D map.

EDIT: Check the video between 0:53-1:00. It's good to see the transformation from 2D map to 3D one.

TosaInu
01-06-2011, 18:40
I see, thanks Ibn-Khaldun. For an hour I thought the player could select either 2D or 3D, but that is not the case.

snorky
01-08-2011, 11:43
The diplomacy screen looks pretty similar to empire, though I did spot the option to exchange hostages. I thought in some countries it was quite normal to exchange important people as hostages to ensure the other parties kept there word in diplomatic treaties, though I'm don't know enough about Japanese history to say anything about that.

TosaInu
01-08-2011, 11:51
Exchanging hostages in medieval Japan sounds odd. However they had hostages, but this was different from exchanging POW from the battlefield afaik.

What did happen was the 'exchange' of important people to ensure clan loyalty. When a clan would rebel, their heir would get killed as he's literally in the enemies house. Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu was a hostage when he was a boy.