PDA

View Full Version : Required system specs

tibilicus
01-07-2011, 19:55
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/114/1143058p1.html

Pretty demanding stuff. Although I guess it was expected.

Nelson
01-07-2011, 20:59
My two-week-old machine should get the job done as it meets or exceeds the recommended specs.

Time will tell, of course...

A Nerd
01-07-2011, 21:15
:O I should be able to run it, but just barely. I never have the settings high except on unit detail anyway. My computer isn't that old either! :(

Veho Nex
01-07-2011, 21:44
Well boyz, looks like they dropped the axe on me. As my gamermanhood rolls down the hill please remember me as you slaughter each other and other samurai lords.

pevergreen
01-08-2011, 03:34
I built my computer midrange about 14-16 months ago. It will handle this fine.

drone
01-08-2011, 03:48
I'm guessing my laptop is about midway between the minimum and recommended. I don't like zooming into the action anyway...

TosaInu
01-08-2011, 11:07
My PC is above low level.

Barkhorn1x
01-10-2011, 21:18
Mine is fine.

Andres
01-11-2011, 17:39
Between minimum and recommended. Should be fine in the lower settings.

Furunculus
01-12-2011, 14:08
fine.

the new AMD Llano fusion chips due in july should make for an excellent TW:S2 laptop.

Wishazu
01-12-2011, 18:46
My laptop will run it on minimum specs ok but I'm gonna try and get a new machine in the next 2 months or so.

Double A
01-12-2011, 22:26
I'm getting a new computer to play S2TW, among other things.

Cecil XIX
01-12-2011, 22:53
My two-week-old machine should get the job done as it meets or exceeds the recommended specs.

Time will tell, of course...

I too acquired a new computer around that time, and am in a similar situation. I don't know what an AMD processor is equivalent to to an Intel Core i5 processor, but hopefully six CPUs and 2.7 GHz will do the trick. I'm used to playing TW games with reduced settings anyway, so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

TosaInu
01-12-2011, 23:05
I'm guessing it will run ok on med settings on my C2D @ 3ghz. The big bottleneck will be the RAM, which is just 2 GB.

I used to have 512 MB Ram around 2004, that was fine, until I had to open some txtfiles. Moved to 2 GB then, thinking I'ld be safe for ever, but I get crashes again on some. Another 2 GB stick won't hurt.

I've heard and noticed good things about Win7 and its 64 bit version.

Furunculus
01-13-2011, 13:18
I too acquired a new computer around that time, and am in a similar situation. I don't know what an AMD processor is equivalent to to an Intel Core i5 processor, but hopefully six CPUs and 2.7 GHz will do the trick. I'm used to playing TW games with reduced settings anyway, so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

oh yes, that will be more than sufficient.

i have the 3.2GHz version of that CPU.

I'm guessing it will run ok on med settings on my C2D @ 3ghz. The big bottleneck will be the RAM, which is just 2 GB.

I used to have 512 MB Ram around 2004, that was fine, until I had to open some txtfiles. Moved to 2 GB then, thinking I'ld be safe for ever, but I get crashes again on some. Another 2 GB stick won't hurt.

don't know about DDR2, but right now DDR3 is ridiculously cheap at £35 for 2x 2GB PC12800 (DDR3 1600) sticks.

eight months ago i paid nearly £95 for the same product.

TosaInu
01-13-2011, 19:45
My sticks don't seem to be available anymore at my shop, they do in a quad pack. Provided that my mobo supports it physically (yes it supports up to 8) I might as well get a pack with 4 *2 GB sticks. It's double the capacity for much less than double the cost.

Togakure
01-16-2011, 00:38
I'll definitely need to upgrade in order to play, but I knew that. Hopefully the game will be so good that upgrading will be fully justified.

xploring
01-16-2011, 00:49
Will AMD AM3 Athlon II X2 255 and ATI 5770 be good enough to play this game? This may be the only "new" game I will play so don't want to spend too much if I don't have to.

Obadiah
01-19-2011, 16:15
I'm pretty much around min specs: 2.6mhz, 2GB Ram, Vista (sigh), GeForce 8800. So I think I'll run it ok at low settings, but wonder if its worthwhile to upgrade video card or other components. Comments?

Jappa
01-20-2011, 03:02
I'm not even sure where I lie in that...

AMD Dual Core 2.2ghz
RAM: 3GB
Graphics Memory: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Any help/advice would be appreciated... thanks in advance

drone
01-20-2011, 05:41
You are in between minimum and recommended, similar to my laptop. If you can get more memory, it would help, but the video card is going to hurt (mine is a Mobility 4850, a little better but still underpowered).

Jappa
01-20-2011, 06:13
You are in between minimum and recommended, similar to my laptop. If you can get more memory, it would help, but the video card is going to hurt (mine is a Mobility 4850, a little better but still underpowered).

Thanks.

So, I'm guessing mid to low details. Maybe some options have to be disabled?

Furunculus
01-20-2011, 11:46
I'm not even sure where I lie in that...

AMD Dual Core 2.2ghz
RAM: 3GB
Graphics Memory: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Any help/advice would be appreciated... thanks in advance

you're going to struggle i'm afraid.

an athlon64 dual-core is about as fast as a 1.83GHz Intel C2D dual-core.

and the ATI 4250 is an integrated chipset with only 40 shaders whereas drone has an 800 shader dedicated GPU with a 256bit DDR5 connection to video memory.

Jappa
01-20-2011, 15:06
you're going to struggle i'm afraid.

an athlon64 dual-core is about as fast as a 1.83GHz Intel C2D dual-core.

and the ATI 4250 is an integrated chipset with only 40 shaders whereas drone has an 800 shader dedicated GPU with a 256bit DDR5 connection to video memory.

Okay, well that's a downer.

So does it make a difference that my processer is actually AMD athlon II dual core 2.2ghz ????

Furunculus
01-20-2011, 15:38
Okay, well that's a downer.

So does it make a difference that my processer is actually AMD athlon II dual core 2.2ghz ????

actually, yes it does.

if it is an Athlon II based of the propus K10.5 core then it has equivalent grunt to an Intel C2D on a clock for clock basis. in which case your CPU would exceed the min-specs by a small (but useful) margin.

the GPU was always your real problem however, but i'm hoping your going to tell me it is a desktop system which can have a graphics card installed, and not a laptop.........................?

if it is a desktop then a £60 graphics card (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/512mb-sapphire-hd-5670-pci-e-21-%28x16%29-4000mhz-gddr5-gpu-775mhz-400-cores-d-sub-dl-dvi-i-hdmi) will allow you to play STW on low settings with a decent framerate.

Jappa
01-20-2011, 16:02
actually, yes it does.

if it is an Athlon II based of the propus K10.5 core then it has equivalent grunt to an Intel C2D on a clock for clock basis. in which case your CPU would exceed the min-specs by a small (but useful) margin.

the GPU was always your real problem however, but i'm hoping your going to tell me it is a desktop system which can have a graphics card installed, and not a laptop.........................?

if it is a desktop then a £60 graphics card (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/512mb-sapphire-hd-5670-pci-e-21-%28x16%29-4000mhz-gddr5-gpu-775mhz-400-cores-d-sub-dl-dvi-i-hdmi) will allow you to play STW on low settings with a decent framerate.

Ahhh, unfortunately I have a laptop.. a VAIO......

Is there no way I can upgrade my laptop at all to suit STW?

Furunculus
01-20-2011, 16:05
sadly not.

you might find that on low settings you can play the campaign fine (which would be no problem for me as i always auto-resolve battles), but i think the battles would be a slide-show.

Judge
01-24-2011, 14:21
I am upgrading soon, altho my current system shud be ok to start with.

antisocialmunky
01-26-2011, 04:36
I am upgrading soon, altho my current system shud be ok to start with.

C2D 6400 @3.2
4 GB Ram
260 GTX

I will make this work by overclocking the hell out out of everything even more.:laugh4:

Thaddeus
01-27-2011, 11:44
Best to load the demo when it is released and see how your system handles it . Mine is slow but ETW and NTW were still playable

Orda Khan
01-30-2011, 19:49
Last thing I'd do is spend a gutsfull of money chasing a game.

gollum
01-30-2011, 20:55
That sounds kinda funny coming from someone who has dedicated as much time and effort to TW as you Orda.

Swoosh So
01-31-2011, 00:00
If you can play ntw you should be able to play stw2 fine.

Orda Khan
01-31-2011, 22:38
That sounds kinda funny coming from someone who has dedicated as much time and effort to TW as you Orda.
Does it? I couldn't care less, it's a fact. If you are prepared to keep spending your cash keeping up with the next release, that's your choice.

gollum
01-31-2011, 23:03
Yeah, i'll remember you warned me, thanks.

Ed TW
02-02-2011, 12:57
My experience is when I usually update memory, unless it's really minimal, or a graphics card- I'm usually disapointed with the results. What I usulally do is replace the cpu if the motherboard can be upgraded. If it can't then I'll usually spring for both.

Lemur
02-07-2011, 18:07
I've got an old Conroe Core2Duo, which I think will manage, and an ATI 4870. Six gigs of RAM (mostly salvaged from another machine), so no worries there.

Also, I felt very, very loved when I saw this email in my inbox: "You've received a gift copy of the game Total War: Shogun 2 (preorder) on Steam."

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
02-07-2011, 21:26
Well I hope my 6 gig of RAM and Video Card can run the game or I be going into forced retirement. :embarassed::laugh4:

Wardo
02-11-2011, 07:51
My poor Q6600 can't cope. My Nvidia 9800GT won't help either.

I don't want to re-install Windows due to updating the motherboard, so I'm out, I guess. Not worth for just one game. I'll play this years later, as I did with Medieval 2, which I also skipped until right before the release of ETW.

I hope it's not the graphics that call for that much CPU power. I'm happy with M2 level of detail.

Oh well, back to Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress, etc. Long live low-rez gaming.

pdoan8
02-12-2011, 21:36
Last thing I'd do is spend a gutsfull of money chasing a game.
Me neither.

My old system MB doesn't support anything higher than the C2D 6xxx and I'm currently have the E6600. The only CPU that is better would be the X6800 (but I heard much problem with stability). The MB has an early 1.0 PCIe which does not support many of the newer 2.0 cards. That will limit the stock I can choose from. My newer laptop would have much better chance since it has i5 460M, 6 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 550v with 1GB of VRAM. If that won't do (at least at medium setting), then STW2 will be out of my league.

SlugForAButt
02-12-2011, 22:37
Ahhh, unfortunately I have a laptop.. a VAIO......

Is there no way I can upgrade my laptop at all to suit STW?

Jappa, you may want to look here at the ViDock

http://www.villagetronic.com/e_products.html

gets good reviews from what I've seen. Maybe worth a look if youre a long term laptop user.

pevergreen
02-13-2011, 02:07
Also, I felt very, very loved when I saw this email in my inbox: "You've received a gift copy of the game Total War: Shogun 2 (preorder) on Steam."

:shocked:

Who did that for you?

Lemur
02-13-2011, 14:53
:shocked:

Who did that for you?
A chick. For Valentine's Day. 'Nuff said.

DthB4Dishonor
02-16-2011, 11:24
Hail Gentlemen,

On this page here if you scroll down half way you will notice a little tool to help people see if their system can handle STW2 and how well it will handle it. I'm getting a new rig but I actually needed a new desktop for a LONG time now.

Here is the page:
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1091&game=Shogun%202:%20Total%20War

Kocmoc
02-17-2011, 15:32
Hail Gentlemen,

On this page here if you scroll down half way you will notice a little tool to help people see if their system can handle STW2 and how well it will handle it. I'm getting a new rig but I actually needed a new desktop for a LONG time now.

Here is the page:
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1091&game=Shogun%202:%20Total%20War

hmm, this link doesnt work for me.

DthB4Dishonor
02-17-2011, 16:17
hmm, this link doesnt work for me.

Hail Kocmoc,

Long time no see. I double checked and the link is definitely working for me. Not sure why its not working for you. Has anyone else been tried the link?

Gregoshi
02-17-2011, 17:52
The link worked for me but the way the tool works is odd - after each input, the page refreshes to the top of the screen and you have to scroll back down to the tool location to continue with the next input...just a little annoying. However, the good news is that if the tool is correct, I can play TWS2 with the graphics set to "very high". :2thumbsup:

Lemur
02-17-2011, 18:32
The app doesn't like my CPU. Hey man, I've gotten good mileage out of my Core2Duo 6600. It's not old, it's a classic. Grumble grumble grumble.

Nelson
02-17-2011, 22:41
My Intel i5-760 scored a 7, the Nvidia GTX460 scored a 9 and 4 gigs of ram scored a 7. This lead to cpu, gpu and ram scores of 100%. Which in turn generated the comment "Medium to high settings - This system should have little trouble with Shogun 2: Total War."

It didn't say "Crank everything to the max!" It said "should have little trouble". Ay caramba...

sugam
02-18-2011, 15:30
Hay guys. I have been reading many different forums on Shogun 2 and yes, I'm an addict to all total war games. I don't usually post much because rarely I don't find the information myself.

The reason I have sneaked out from my cave is to simply post a response to looking at this site

"game-debate.com/games/ind...%20Total%20War"

Just a simple heads up, its crap. I don't know what they think about the other game requirements but these requirements they expect of you is way off, you don't need a over all top end system to play shogun 2. there is even a forum about its requirements in the official forums of shogun 2. So any of you guys with even a dual core processor could run this game at med settings at best if you have other hardware components that help this, like 6+ gigs of ramm (ddr2, after all, ddr3 is really not that different, hence at all, lol!), windows 7 64-bit, ect. I have a Intel core 2 quad processor (Q9400) and with my hardware/software, I can run any of the total wars that has been released, at max everything with no lag. I suspect these people have alternative motives or are simply THAT bad when it comes down to computer knowledge. I am sure they are great guys/girls irl and I wish them no ill will, but its just a fact.

So, people on a budget, fear not and ask HardwareMaster (official forums for STW 2 sticky) for any help. If anyone wants to ask here about their specs ill check back here a few times to help even with system building.

I don't normally do this but I despise misleading, particularly when it involves money.

Oh, and hello every one!

Gregoshi
02-18-2011, 16:27
Welcome and thanks for de-lurking sugam. I approached that system requirement tool with some skepticism and am treating my results as nothing more than it whispering sweet nothings into my ear.

BTW, here is a link to the thread sugam referred to: The Official (Can my PC run Shogun 2) Thread (http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/4815-The-Official(Can-my-PC-run-Shogun-2)-Thread(Read-first-post)).

sugam
02-18-2011, 20:12
Gar, ya I was tired and tried to post links but could not on my first post, but it was to prevent spammers and that's great, I hate spammers too. I was really freaking tired and was in a near drunk like stooper so I was not that clear and probably should have shared my full specs.

My basic specs are:

Evga FTW 780i with a Intel core quad processor running at 2.g Ghz.
8 gigs of Corsair ramm (the ddr2 type)
GTX 560 TI in SLI format (x2) they are basically 1 gig cards but they are sick
Windows 7 64-bit
850 watt PSU

My ramm is old as hell but they are a factory matched set and buying a new set would show little improvement. The only really expensive part is the two cards I bought a few weeks ago. Before them I had a pair of gtx 260 (my third one was given to my girlfriend cause her computer sucks and it hurts to watch her play wow at such bad frame rates) Before these video cards I was running ETW at near max everything. I only turned off shadows completely (they are not that good maxed out anyways) and AA at x8 and water detail at high. That's it.

humm.......soka....

*runs back into the dark corner*

Phog_of_War
02-18-2011, 23:11
Sugam, glad to see you made it here!

Risasi
02-19-2011, 05:08
Bummer, my Dell XPS M1530 looks like it's not so hot:

"This system setup is probably not going to be able to run Shogun 2: Total War. Time for an..."

Hopefully they release a demo so I can still give it a shot. If not I'll probably be playing Rome and Medieval 2 for the next couple years...

Gregoshi
02-19-2011, 06:18
Hopefully they release a demo so I can still give it a shot...

The demo will be released on February 22 - just a few more days to wait.

Risasi
02-19-2011, 14:06
That's great news, thanks for letting me know.

sugam
02-19-2011, 17:17
with a Dell XPS M1530...I hate to tell ya you would be lucky to play it at the lowest settings.
Its also a 2007 laptop. You should have been thinking of upgrading around 2010, if that's possible. I know its hard times for a lot of people, Im one of them.

Did you go with the 2 or 4 gig's of ramm. (the systems max is 4 gigs, isn't dell great!)
Also the video card running with 256 megs is hurting it.
Not to mention that laptops just don't perform as well as desktops when comparing similar builds.

its close so its hard to say at minim settings but I don't think it would be a good experience ether way. But, there is that demo. The demo will run better then the full game of shogun 2 but it will give you in idea and there is always NTW and ETW to compare it to. Gar, I hate bad news. Well, I wish you luck with it.

Risasi
02-19-2011, 19:13
Actually my XPS is from Jan 2009. It has a Core2Duo, no Quad support. It does have 4GB with 8GB max. And the video card is the Nvidia 8600M GT. With 256MB of memory, but it can turbocache and use the main memory. Right now it reports 1.5GB of mem available to the card. Yeah, it has limitations all around.

It runs SC2 at medium fine. So it will be interesting to see how the demo fares...

No worries, Rome and Medieval 2 will probably keep me entertained for another two years. :-)

sugam
02-20-2011, 08:51
so, its using virtual memory then for the video card. You got a better version then the original make so that's good. The video card I think would hold it back the most but I think you have a shot of at lest running it, have you not empires or what not, to play on it?

Risasi
02-25-2011, 15:21
Okay, I'm downloading it.

* 6GB for a demo, are you kidding me?!

* I had to create a Steam account. Par for the course, but I'm not happy about it. I'll post here if the demo works on my laptop.

Addendum: Well, surprisingly it runs. It auto detected the video settings and set them to low. And it wouldn't even allow me to tweak settings. It looks pretty crappy. I'm not sure if it's worse than Rome though. Water was garbage and detail on units were low, but other stuff was decent. Perhaps equivalent to Rome on medium settings? The look and feel is weird though. Ambiance is definitely different.
40 seconds load time to the main menu. I started the historical battle, which appears to have about 3000+ units on screen. It took about 30 seconds to load the battle. I just mashed units against one another and scrolled around zooming in and out. I'm not sure what my framerate was but there wasn't detectable lag. So far it looks promising.

Will I play it? No, not now. I'm too busy seeing what I missed the past 9 years. I'll wait for all you beta testers and patching to get done first. ;-) I'll wait for some of your reviews of online multiplayer experiences, then perhaps pick it up strictly for online later this year.

sugam
02-25-2011, 19:39
sadly, the demo is bad. It only supported one processor before they patched it (now it supports 2 cores! WEEEEEEEEEE!). The demo gives you a hint what the game has in store but that's its honestly, its not a good method to see exactly how well you can run shogun 2 :( When I first got the demo, I was getting like 15-25 fps a second but with the new one, I am getting about 50+ so its a big difference. Sorry you wont pick it up on release but that's alright and if you do later for the MP part, well I know that I will be there playing it fir sure :)

Risasi
02-26-2011, 23:54
Just wow.

My Dell just bit the big one. Flawed Nvidia GPU on these models.

So it looks like I'm on an old P4 desktop and a spare X61 Thinkpad from work until I can dig up a new mobile computer. I'm definitely not going to be running Shogun 2 for awhile.

Nelson
02-27-2011, 02:56
Just wow.

So it looks like I'm on an old P4 desktop and a spare X61 Thinkpad from work until I can dig up a new mobile computer. I'm definitely not going to be running Shogun 2 for awhile.

That is some bad luck. The demo is fun and the game looks good.

DthB4Dishonor
02-27-2011, 04:47
Just wow.

Horrible time for that to happen. I remember my brother's TV died 3 days before the SuperBowl 2 years ago. I got a new rig for this game but its not here yet....gah.

quadalpha
02-27-2011, 15:14
Just wow.

Is it the overheating/solder problem? Tried the heat gun fix?

Prussian to the Iron
02-27-2011, 15:21
If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated.

My system meets/surpasses all requirements (and recommended BTW), but I don't know if my graphics card meets up to it. I currently have an "Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT". Is this bad for this game or good? It runs ETW on fairly high settings with little to no lag unless it's an enormous battle. Help?

Lemur
02-27-2011, 15:24
It runs ETW on fairly high settings with little to no lag unless it's an enormous battle. Help?
Not sure what sort of help you need. I recall a dev posting that if your machine can run ETW and/or NTW, you should be able to run TW:S2 just fine. The engine is supposed to be only a bit more taxing than the previous two. You might not run with all of the bells and whistles, but it's going to run.

Does that answer?

Prussian to the Iron
02-27-2011, 19:48
I'll try toning down the settings a bit more, but at this point i'm running at half the quality of what I would with ETW, with less lag but still a noticeable amount even in smaller battles.

Lemur
02-27-2011, 20:50
Well, don't forget that a demo is almost always an earlier version of the engine, with less optimization and polish. This is why companies don't like to release demos. Also, the time they spend nailing down the demo for final is time they take away from nailing down the game itself. I really do understand the average dev's hostility to demos.

Wardo
02-28-2011, 03:56
Heh, I can run the demo. Intel Q6600, Nvidia 9800GT, 4gb of RAM can run the demo; on the lowest settings for everything except:

1) Unit size: ultra
2) Unit detail: highest
3) Textures: medium
4) Particle Effects (what does it do?): high

The rest is on low. Works pretty good, though not at the completely fluid FPS range.

But that's on scripted battles. Who knows what a real battle would demand.

Actually, who knows what a real battle is like. The demo left me unimpressed. I liked all the new campaign features very much, I liked the general feel of Shogun 1 that this game oozes all over.

But I'm here for some fun battles. The rest is accessory. Do battles deliver? I don't know, it's all script, smoke and mirrors in the demo...

Drunk Clown
02-28-2011, 23:07
Motherboard:
ASUS M4N68T PRO - Moederbord - ATX - nForce 630a -
Socket AM3 - UDMA133, SATA-300 (RAID) - Gigabit
Ethernet - HD Audio (8-kanaal

GPU:
eVGA GeForce GTX 460 - Grafische adapter - GF GTX 460 -
PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 768 MB GDDR5 - DVI, HDMI

Processor:
AMD Black Edition - Processor - 1 x AMD Phenom II X4
965 / 3.4 GHz - Socket AM3 - L3 6 MB - Box

8 gigabyte RAM:
Kingston ValueRAM - Geheugen - 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB - DIMM
240-pins - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 - 1.5 V -

Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit

Runs smooth on high, haven't tried ultra yet. Only had lag when I had the whole army selected and grouped and placing them in position (you know, right mousebutton and dragging).

Risasi
03-05-2011, 07:02
Well I'm back in the saddle, so to speak...

My XPS does not have the Nvidia flaw, nonetheless I still don't have it functional. Something goofy with the screen. An external monitor works. I'll eventually get it working, but it could be weeks.

But I needed something in the meantime for work. I ran out today and bought the new Macbook Pro 13", with the Sandy Bridge chipset. Definitely more powerful than my XPS. Even the GPU. I just finished installing a dual boot of Snow Leopard OSX and Windows 7 Pro. I've named the respective OS installs Jekyll/Hyde. :-)

Once I get a chance I'll try to get a test of Shogun 2 on it. Either the demo, or borrow the full install when it comes out and then I'll post results.

Nigel
03-05-2011, 15:20
My system can just about run the demo on lowest setting (and some things look pretty, umm, abstract, I could say).

So here is a question. If I buy and install the game now, and buy a new PC some month later, will I be able to install the game again on the new PC? Or will I only be able to have 1 copy installed on 1 PC (i.e. need to buy another copy or remove the copy from my first PC)?

Jochi Khan
03-06-2011, 02:05
If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated.

My system meets/surpasses all requirements (and recommended BTW), but I don't know if my graphics card meets up to it. I currently have an "Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT". Is this bad for this game or good? It runs ETW on fairly high settings with little to no lag unless it's an enormous battle. Help?
My graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT.
It runs the demo on Medium settings with no lag.

I have played ETW and NTW online on Medium settings in 4v4 games with no lag.

So here is a question. If I buy and install the game now, and buy a new PC some month later, will I be able to install the game again on the new PC? Or will I only be able to have 1 copy installed on 1 PC (i.e. need to buy another copy or remove the copy from my first PC)?
Your copy of the game is installed on your Steam account (permanent) When you set up your Steam account on a new computer the game will show on it but it will have to be Installed. (There is an install option in the Library.)
You can only 'play' it on one pc at any one time.

Nelson
03-06-2011, 02:18
My system can just about run the demo on lowest setting (and some things look pretty, umm, abstract, I could say).

If you buy the game on STEAM you can install it (download it) again later without any trouble. STEAM will know you are a registered purchaser via your account. I have done this recently myself.

If you purchase the DVD in a box, by whatever means, you should be able to reinstall the game at will.

A Nerd
03-06-2011, 05:02
I was surprised the demo ran so smoothly on my PC. My PC is 1.5 to 2 years old and I had the settings up high except for grass and shadows, no lag. I hope the full game runs just as smoothly! :D

UglyJun
03-06-2011, 06:18
i believe the demo has no AA and are just basic drivers . full version will run better for sure :)

A Nerd
03-06-2011, 06:22
Yay!

Jochi Khan
03-06-2011, 20:55
If you buy the game on STEAM you can install it (download it) again later without any trouble. STEAM will know you are a registered purchaser via your account. I have done this recently myself.

If you purchase the DVD in a box, by whatever means, you should be able to reinstall the game at will.

My games are DVD boxed versions, ETW and NTW, which have to be registered with Steam in order to play them online.

When you install a boxed version you still have to enter the game key into your Steam account. Steam then recognises you as the registered owner of the game.
That is why you do not have to put the disc into your pc to play the game, or to install it on another pc.

No good buying a second hand disc because you would not be able to register it to play online.

Sabazios
03-07-2011, 00:11
hey guys,

i'm about to buy this laptop:
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/267554/asus-k52je-ex229v.html#tab:info

Do you think it will run S2TW?:sweatdrop:

UglyJun
03-07-2011, 05:00
hi sabazios
firstly i dont recomend laptops for games hehe but....
the laptop u getting is not bad and it will run shogun on low to medium prob, but i believe it wont be able to do dx11 because u got the Mobility HD5470 and i3core processor which is Intel integrated GPU (which doesn't support dx11) otherwise np :)

Sabazios
03-07-2011, 10:03
thx for your answer Jun.

Yeah i know laptops arent the best solution for gaming, but I need a laptop fo work. So if it plays games thats a nice extra. :)
Im still a bit confused though. I just did a check and the 5470 has DirectX 11, but you say the i3 processor dont support it? Does that mean the videocard has dx11 but it wont be used because of the processor?

btw it didnt say so in the spec i posted, but the videocard has 512mb dedicated memory, so that means its not an integrated card right?

UglyJun
03-07-2011, 10:41
this is link to a discussion if u scroll down a little it explains diff between capable and actualy running in dx11
hope that helps :)

http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/61459/451050.aspx

Sabazios
03-07-2011, 11:42
lol no not really :dizzy2:

If i understand correct, the processor only allows for parts of directx11 support. But do i need full dx11 suport to run shogun or does it mean i just have to lower the settings? i dont mind paying on lower settings. Im now playing RTW on medium so im used to that ;)

UglyJun
03-07-2011, 11:46
you do not Need full dx11 support.
it will play shogun np , just not with full dx11 capabilitys thats what i am led to believe :)

Sabazios
03-07-2011, 12:52
I'm going to order the laptop and just hope it plays shogun well.
thx for help!

TosaInu
03-07-2011, 15:22
I ran the demo on my laptop (2,5 years old, not bought for gaming):
T5670 1.8 Ghz, 3 GB DDR, gfx some on-board Intel, slow HD, it 'ran' on low settings.

Risasi
03-09-2011, 03:25
TosaInu,

Do you know if that was the Intel X3100, 4500MHD, or Intel HD Graphics?

BTW, those who do gaming on mobiles, this list is very handy for getting a general idea of the capabilities of your chipset:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-a-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Sabazios
03-10-2011, 22:07
you do not Need full dx11 support.
it will play shogun np , just not with full dx11 capabilitys thats what i am led to believe :)
Demo works perfectly on medium. :)

UglyJun
03-11-2011, 01:46
sweet:)

froogle
03-15-2011, 21:51
Runs just fine on my netbook, with graphics set to high ;) (Alienware M11x)

They did a great job optimizing the shipping product.

deanox
03-16-2011, 21:38
I am a bit unsure about all the different chips etc but plan on running S2TW on my laptop. General specs are:

i5 430M processor (2.26 GHz)
ATI Radeon HD 5650 1Gb GPU
4GB RAM
64 bit op system

Reckon that'll be sufficient? I think the i5 makes it ok, but I am not to sure about the graphics card or anything? And it is a laptop.

Hopefully will buy today and get stuck in tonight!

Nigel
03-16-2011, 21:41

I am very happy to say that the full game actually looks much better on my bottom end PC than the demo did. It is not a huge leap, but at least now the ground looks like earth and not just a brown surface, the water edges are no longer zigzagging but rather smooth and there is a lot more detail on both the campaign and battle map.

I dont know if this will hold true for every other PC, but at least now we know that if the demo looks rater poor on low settings on your machine, there is the chance that the real game will look better without you having to upgrade your hardware. I for one whill be happy to stick with the PC I have for some time longer now
:smile:

deanox
03-16-2011, 21:49
Just wondering about this- I am not permanently connected to the net on my laptop (i.e. don't have wireless at home). I think I need to go online to register the game when I first install it, but I don't need to be connected to the net everytime I want to play do I?

froogle
03-17-2011, 00:59
Some peeps on a different forum asked me how the game ran on Alienware's M11x gaming netbook - so I posted up a video.

This is a Core i5 machine, 11 inch screen, GeForce 335 and Intel integrated graphics (Optimus switching gizmo doofangle), 4 gig etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N-mgaQtnwE&feature=channel_video_title

Nigel
03-17-2011, 01:10
Just wondering about this- I am not permanently connected to the net on my laptop (i.e. don't have wireless at home). I think I need to go online to register the game when I first install it, but I don't need to be connected to the net everytime I want to play do I?

That should be right.
I have not tried it with S2TW, but in NTW what happened if I did not have my internet on, it would say something like
"Cannot connect to steam. Do you want to play offline?"

And then I could play the normal single player game, no problems.

Daveybaby
03-17-2011, 11:29
That should be right.
I have not tried it with S2TW, but in NTW what happened if I did not have my internet on, it would say something like
"Cannot connect to steam. Do you want to play offline?"

And then I could play the normal single player game, no problems.
Yeah, that's the case for all steam games, UNLESS the publisher has added their own DRM on top of steam's which requires internet access (i dont know if this is the case for S2TW)

Furunculus
03-17-2011, 12:33
even the title screen makes make my graphics card scream:

https://i.imgur.com/b0UpS.jpg

the 2GB ATI 5870 does seem to be able to cope with intense battles at 5760x1200 tho, for although the vaporchill cooler was screaming the frame-rate was fine.

crpcarrot
03-17-2011, 12:43
show off!

Furunculus
03-17-2011, 12:59
maybe. :p

Daevyll
03-17-2011, 13:29
Wow.

Can you run campaign/battles like this, over 3 monitors?

If so, could you post a pic showing that? :)

Furunculus
03-17-2011, 13:51
i can in empire, surprisingly useful as you don't have to dart the mouse around all the time to get a picture of whats happening.

i'll try the campaign tonight, and take a screenshot.

Napoleon The Emperor Of Europe
03-17-2011, 13:57
Best to load the demo when it is released and see how your system handles it . Mine is slow but ETW and NTW were still playable

I downloaded the Demo,its work competey fine on my computer(apart from crashes)

I have 8 eight hardrives

Local disk A :299

local disk B:300

Local disk C:199

Local disk D:302

Local disk E:400

Local Disk F:500

Local disk G :400

Local Disk: 500.

I have both ETW and NTW.They play fine,So I think Shogun 2 will do fine.:book:

I have windows XP Professional.

Daveybaby
03-17-2011, 18:29
I think that's the first time i've seen number of harddrives given as the prime indicator of a system's gaming performance...

Gregoshi
03-17-2011, 19:36
even the title screen makes make my graphics card scream:

https://i.imgur.com/b0UpS.jpg

the 2GB ATI 5870 does seem to be able to cope with intense battles at 5760x1200 tho, for although the vaporchill cooler was screaming the frame-rate was fine.

Shogun 2 is available in IMAX format!??? Awesome! :2thumbsup:

Furunculus
03-17-2011, 20:33
performance seems pretty good, no problem with three screens as far as frame rates are concerned.

froogle
03-18-2011, 01:47
Awe inspiring!

martyshka
03-18-2011, 18:55
The game runs really well on my system, even with battle speed turned up. But the one problem I have is loading times. This game takes a minute to load every battle. Anyone know a way to speed it up? Should I upgrade memory or CPU?
My system:
Athlon X2 2.7Ghz
4 GB memory
GF 8800 GT 512 mb

froogle
03-18-2011, 19:13
No way that I know of, short of replacing the hard disk with an SSD. I have a hybrid SSD/HD in my notebook and it doesn't really help at all. On both my notebook and desktop there's a long ass load time for battles - that's just the way it is unfortunately.

Ed TW
03-19-2011, 08:45
I was thinking of upgrading to an AMD 6 core. Does anyone know if this game will utilize the full potential of that chip, or is it better for me to get a quad core?

Napoleon The Emperor Of Europe
03-20-2011, 12:58
I think that's the first time i've seen number of harddrives given as the prime indicator of a system's gaming performance...

What do you mean?:book:

Gregoshi
03-20-2011, 16:29
What do you mean?:book:
The number of hard drives has little bearing on game performance. The CPU, video card and amount of RAM are the key factors.

Centurion1
03-20-2011, 22:44
should i be able to run it on my inspiron 17r? 17.3 inch screen.

what do you guys think?

Gregoshi
03-21-2011, 20:44
Come on folks, be nice.

Lemur
03-23-2011, 00:48
should i be able to run it on my inspiron 17r? 17.3 inch screen.

what do you guys think?
Depends on what it's got in it. Could you give us specs? If you don't know how, just drop me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

Centurion1
03-23-2011, 03:27
actually i bought it and it runs fine on the very lowest settings im more than content as someone who still plays rome and age of empires 2 haha.

but i was only at
intel i3 processor 2.0 ghz
4gb ram
nvidia something graphics but not good enough i know that for sure.

crpcarrot
03-23-2011, 10:49
it runs fine on my C2D 2.8ghz
3gb ram
8800 GTX

i thought i mgiht need an updarede but it runs with no lag even in full 32 unit battles. only time i had stutter was in naval battle tutorial.
i reduced my setting to high cos i dont really need very high

Furunculus
03-23-2011, 11:55
I was thinking of upgrading to an AMD 6 core. Does anyone know if this game will utilize the full potential of that chip, or is it better for me to get a quad core?

considering they can be bought for only £130, and turbo themselves to higher speeds if only three core are needed, i'd say they are a good buy.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1055t-thuban-sok-am3-28ghz-9mb-total-cache-125w-retail

Motep
03-24-2011, 00:23
bare...very...very...bare....minimum...

Centurion1
03-24-2011, 01:07
like i said i use lowest settings but to be honest my battles take about 45 seconds to load. so i dont see any problems myself.

Lemur
03-24-2011, 05:48
nvidia something graphics but not good enough i know that for sure.
"Nvidia something," um, okay. Can't help you there. Ever try running a little program called dxdiag?

Centurion1
03-24-2011, 06:09
oh i can look it up. my initial question is moot because i own it and run it well enough for myself.

im not technically incompetent haha i was just too lazy to know its exact designation. i knew it wasnt quite up to what shogun demands anyway