PDA

View Full Version : DRM and such

SpencerH
01-15-2011, 15:13
Does anyone know what DRM will be used with Shogun? I had kinda assumed it would be 'Steam' (which I wont install) but there is no mention of Shogun on the Steam website while the DVD is available for prepay through Amazon (link from this site). I'm hoping they they may be using something else, hopefully not Securom (which I wont install either).

Barkhorn1x
01-15-2011, 15:47
STEAM!

snorky
01-15-2011, 16:13
I think it was a mayor improved when they made it steam powered. It's a much better multiplayer solution then gamespy (now that was something I didn't want installed on my computer)

SpencerH
01-15-2011, 17:10
Sorry, but I didnt mean to start a 'Steam thread'. If it's known that 'Steam' will provide the DRM, then (sadly) it's another TW title that I wont be getting.

Phog_of_War
01-15-2011, 23:25
Then sadly, you will not be playing this title either. I can almost guarentee you that Shogun will only be available via Steam and in boxed copies which will require Steam to activate and (at the very least) play multiplayer, and most likley single player as well.

I know you dont intend this to be a Steam thread but, Steam has the least invasive DRM out there right now IMO. SecuROM is an abortion, I wouldnt put that crap on my computer either. Also, great deals on games every week. And while I think I know what is turning you off on Steam, the question is, if Shogun is the "perfect" Total War game, would you download Steam then? I've had Steam since it was in Beta like 15 years ago and have never had a problem with it. In fact, aside from Total War games, which I MUST have a boxed copy of, the vast majority of games I own are bought on Steam. Plus with Steam I dont have to go searching around the abyss of the internet for patches and stuff like that.

edyzmedieval
01-16-2011, 00:31
I second what Phog said. I have been using Steam for the past six years and never had one single problem with it.

And yes, Steam no doubt. At least it's better than SecuROM or Ubisoft.

pevergreen
01-16-2011, 05:24
There was a time when I had to avoid steam.

Its gotten better.

antisocialmunky
01-17-2011, 04:37
Meh, the work around for un-steaming a game is hilariously easy.

pevergreen
01-17-2011, 05:05
For some, yeah, for others, no.

Regardless, I like steam, so...:shrug:

caravel
01-17-2011, 15:03
I think it was a mayor improved when they made it steam powered. It's a much better multiplayer solution then gamespy (now that was something I didn't want installed on my computer)
DRM of some sort is a fact of life for anyone buying any software these days. If you Windows, then your system is probably full of it already. The only alternative is to avoid proprietary software where possible (as I do).

SpencerH
01-18-2011, 13:44
I have other problems with Steam but my main problem is not with the Steam business concept per ce, it's with the Steam client. In order to play a game that I have purchased I have to allow the installation of a program that must be allowed internet access (at least intermittantly), can be 'updated' ie changed at will by a third party, sends information from my PC to others without my knowing what is being sent, when it is being sent, and to where it is being sent. It's too much of security risk for me.