PDA

View Full Version : Clean Feature #2 and #3

pevergreen
01-21-2011, 05:08
Seriously, its been over a week and no one has posted these?

Hi all,

We’re on the cusp of a great moment – the revelation of another of Total War: Shogun 2′s clans. If you fancy yourself embroiled in political intrigue, why not pick the Date clan?

https://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6269/mon256.png

Date clan

Date warriors have a fierce and unforgiving nature. Their foes learn this on the battlefield, shortly before they die. All Date units have a charge bonus, and their fearsome no-dachi samurai, with two-handed swords, are cheap to recruit and maintain. The Date can also recruit superior no-dachi units as well: attack is a Date watchword!

Seen from their home province of Iwate, there are many rivals worth attacking. Date Harumune, their daimyo, is already at war with rebels at his own door, not to mention the Mogami clan of Ugo and Usen to the west. An attack there could put holy shrines under Date control. To the southwest, matters are a little more settled: the Hatakeyama clan in Miyagi is currently at peace with the Date, but who knows if such a situation will last? The forests of Miyagi represent a useful resource too.

The clan was founded by Isa Tomomune when he was given control of the Date district by the shogun Minamoto Yoritomo at the end of the 12th Century. The clan steadily gained influence until recently, when fighting broke out within the clan over the issue of a marriage alliance with the Uesugi. Date Harumune quarrelled violently with his own father, Tanemune, over plans to marry off his younger brother: a large number of the Date retainers and warriors agreed with Harumune and the old man was removed. Now, Harumune needs a new challenge, perhaps the shogunate?

Hi all,

So, we’ve had the Chosokabe clan and we’ve had the Date clan, leading you guys to frantically speculate as to which clan may be being revealed next. Those who guessed correctly, well done – it’s the Uesugi!

http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/files/2011/01/mon_256.png

The Uesugi are proud of their Buddhist faith. They can recruit and maintain warrior monks far more cheaply than any other clan. They can also recruit much better fighting monks and more effective monk agents than any other clan. Despite this religious solidarity, the history of the Uesugi is not tranquil. The current Uesugi leaders were originally the Nagao clan of Echigo, and were vassals to the Yamanouchi faction of the Uesugi clan. The Nagao fought alongside their masters against the Ogigayatsu, another part of the Uesugi clan, in a bitter dispute.

The Yamanouchi, weakened by a war with the Hojo, were forced to seek help from the Nagao lord, Kagetora. His “help” included adopting the name of Uesugi, and taking control of the whole Uesugi clan! Just to make matters even more complicated, Uesugi Kagetora (as he now called himself) changed his name again to Uesugi Kenshin. He was an adherent of Bishamonten, the war god and took Buddhist vows. He then stepped down in favour of his brother, who proved to be staggeringly divisive and unpopular. Kenshin returned to power and now contemplates the future. There is much struggle yet to come if the clan is to be secure and an Uesugi is ever to be shogun!

There are Uesugi rebels in Echigo itself, and to the south there is unfinished business is the shape of the Yamanouchi clan of Kozuke province. Luckily, there are peaceful relations with the Ashina clan of Fukushima, and the Mogami clan of Uzen province, but both of these areas have resources, wood and stone respectively, which could be of considerable use. In keeping with the religious bent of the Uesugi, Kozuke province has a tradition of philosophical scholarship that could be harnessed to the Kenshin’s purposes. A navy might also prove useful, as Sado, off the coast of Echigo, has plentiful gold deposits.

http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2011/01/04/clan-feature-2-date/
http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2011/01/12/clan-feature-3-uesugi/

Kagemusha
01-21-2011, 11:02
Thanks for posting these pever. I must say i cant quite comprehend the description of Uesugi Clan. The description ofcourse gives us a clear tip of the starting date, which is quite late as the "Yamanouchi" mentioned was the Uesugi Norimasa,Kanto Kanrei and leader of the Yamanouchi branch of Uesugi, who fled to Echigo after loosing his Hirai castle in Kozuke to Hojo in 1551. Also Uesugi Kenshin finished uniting Echigo province during 1551, so i could bet my hat that the campaign starting date is 1551.Now what i dont understand is the section saying: "and to the south there is unfinished business is the shape of the Yamanouchi clan of Kozuke province."

Uesugi Norimasa did not loose entire Kozuke to the Hojo when he lost Hirai castle.Norimasa´s key vassal Nagano Narimasa still held Minowa castle in northern Kozuke at that point and together with his son Narimori they fought of several attacks of both Hojo and Takeda over an decade or so, while being obedient to new Uesugi Lord Kenshin.Minowa castle being the main support and gathering area for the large number of campaigns of Kenshin against the Odawara Hojo. So i dont really understand what the description is talking about.

samu
01-21-2011, 12:13
Hi.
They really take the Date clan into the game? I generally think that 10 clans in Shogun2 is much to less for the many popular clans in Sengoku jidai. SOme names I really would like to see in the game: Ryozoji, Otomo, Ouchi, Amako, Miyoshi, Asai, Asakura..

old STW Clans (7)

Shimazu
Imagawa/Tokugawa
Mori
Takeda
Oda
Uesugi
Hojo

new STW2 Clans (9 +1)

1. Chosokabe
2. Uesugi
3. Date
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???
7. ???
8. ???
9. ???
10. (ninja Clan)

Do you think they will dismiss one of the old STW clans for another (don't kill me!) "2nd grade Date-like Clan"?

If they do not, they now have to include all the old clans because there are not enough Clan-slots left.

Kagemusha
01-21-2011, 12:43
Hi.
They really take the Date clan into the game? I generally think that 10 clans in Shogun2 is much to less for the many popular clans in Sengoku jidai. SOme names I really would like to see in the game: Ryozoji, Otomo, Ouchi, Amako, Miyoshi, Asai, Asakura..

old STW Clans (7)

Shimazu
Imagawa/Tokugawa
Mori
Takeda
Oda
Uesugi
Hojo

new STW2 Clans (9 +1)

1. Chosokabe
2. Uesugi
3. Date
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???
7. ???
8. ???
9. ???
10. (ninja Clan)

Do you think they will dismiss one of the old STW clans for another (don't kill me!) "2nd grade Date-like Clan"?

If they do not, they now have to include all the old clans because there are not enough Clan-slots left.

I agree that 10 clans is very few.I bet that the full list will be the old clans+ Date,Chosokabe and the ninja faction.Hopefully the game can be modded.

aimlesswanderer
01-22-2011, 09:43
It seems like there were about 67 provinces in olden day Japan, though some were pretty tiny or distant. So, 10 factions means that there is going to be a few major factions surrounded by vast a sea of rebels. If they can make the rebels act separately (ie not part of a vast rebel faction, so they might attack each other) and sensibly that might be ok, but it would make more sense to have, say, 30-40 factions: 15-20 playable major ones, and 15-20 minor, non playable (hello mods) ones.