PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about experience and unit variety

martyshka
01-27-2011, 21:25
Hello, I'm new here. I had a question concerning how the game is going to turn out. One of a few things that really made the first three TW games special over the recent ones was experience. In STW and MTW units could gain an unlimited amount of honour and valour and about nine chevrons in RTW. Remember your beloved 5 honor Buddhist monks tearing up the samurai? Or that half depleted unit of Ghazi's with attack value of 15 (with AP) chopping up Mongol Heavy Cav for pilaf? One charge downhill and the mongols just melted. Good times. So I was wondering if in S2TW units will be able to gain significant stats with experience.

Also what about unit variety? Will it be faction specific, or will there be a general pool of units? And please no warrior archers; most boring, over-powered units in TW games were archers with good attack and defense.

Gregoshi
01-28-2011, 03:35
~:wave: Hello martyshka and welcome to the Org. Sounds like you are an old TW vet who has finally found us - or just de-lurked. Anyway, welcome.

I though there hasn't been any specific mention of experience in the SP campaign, I'd hazzard to guess that it will be there since this is mentioned as part of the MP aspects of the game. It wouldn't make sense to have it as part of the new "persistent" MP game but not in SP. As for unit variety, I don't recall any mention of it.

Nelson
01-28-2011, 17:23
And please no warrior archers; most boring, over-powered units in TW games were archers with good attack and defense.

Welcome to the Org, martyshka.

From time to time such soldiers would appear throughout history. When they did I think we should see them in the games.

As for units with capabilities that did not ever appear historically, now those are the ones I would prohibit.

Orda Khan
01-30-2011, 19:08
The ridiculous experience/honour/weapon/armour upgrades that you describe is the single most ruining feature of TW. I remember watching my two units -Korean spearman and skirmishers- seeing off countless japanese armies. It's about that time that I quit playing SP.

martyshka
02-01-2011, 08:31
I know what you mean Orda. The way some units gained unreasonable strengths looked overpowered. But i did not march with the same set of spearmen, archers and cavalry through 100 turns of campaign only to lose them to some freshmen. I loved the xp system. It's ultimately a limitation of traditional Total War gameplay itself, but if offered a choice between neutered units and the old xp I'd go with the old.