PDA

View Full Version : Which Clan Will You Play First

knoddy
02-24-2011, 23:04
Having not played the original shogun and not knowing anything about this peroid in Japan i am wondering what Clan people will play first when they get the game.

TosaInu
02-24-2011, 23:20
Shimazu was the first for me in the original STW. I'll go for Chosokabe now: small faction, poor Island, center of everything and nothing, challenges.

ichi
02-24-2011, 23:38
Probably Mori first; in the original it was a good first faction since it had two borders, allowing exploration of the development trees while simplifying defense. Once I've got a handle on the faction/economic/development aspects I'll try Chokosabe

antisocialmunky
02-25-2011, 04:26
Whichever one has the randomly included Female Naginata Heroes.

Shimazu because I like swords.

Ituralde
02-25-2011, 09:32
Been thinking Chosokabe, now leaning towardas Uesugi as well. Battle Monks and Trade bonus sound nice, but I really liked the Chosokabe starting position and special abilities.
So my first campaign is gonna be one of those two, I think.

pevergreen
02-25-2011, 09:53
Anything with katana samurai.

Date i think.

Monk
02-25-2011, 10:13
Either Shimazu or Chokosabe, haven't decided yet. I like factions who have their back to the wall, so to speak. Both Chokosabe and Shimazu have good starting positions, assuming they can unite their respective islands together first.

knoddy
02-25-2011, 10:27
I was thinking Chokosabe cos of the good starting position. and the bow advantage, but having played them in the demo im thinking something diff. I think Date or some1 a bit out of the way.

Zarky
02-25-2011, 12:27
I'm going to play Mori for the same reason United Provinces was my favorite faction in Empire: Trade/Navy centric nation forced to fight on land as well. And my plan would be to first capture enough land around me and take control of trade nodes, then take full naval supremacy and capture islands/peninsulas/strategic locations all over the coast.
Though my plan sounds a bit ambitious for very first campaign, it's something I want to try.

Sjakihata
02-25-2011, 14:49
Shimazu!!!

*cuts heads off*

Barkhorn1x
02-25-2011, 17:24
Shimazu - katana bonus.

dakar97BG
02-25-2011, 17:45
I havent played either game and I dont have Enough RAm for Shogun 2 but I played Samurai Warriors 2 so Either The Oda or Hattori

A Nerd
02-25-2011, 18:50
I will play Shimazu first. They were my first campaign in STW, so, sort of for nostalgia. They also have an easy starting position so that might help me get my feet wet with this first game. I also like the clan color. Useugi will be second!

DthB4Dishonor
02-25-2011, 21:11
I'll probably first play as Takeda but I'm a bit surprised no one chose Hattori.

Major Robert Dump
02-26-2011, 05:08
Uesugi, because my first campaign will likely be very defensive.

Tora
02-26-2011, 09:31
Shimazu - the first clan I played when the original came out. Nice to have your back covered while you work out what's going on, although with the addition of naval units.......

IronPrince
02-26-2011, 09:36
Hojo the first clan I played in Shogun 1

Monk
02-26-2011, 09:47
Hojo the first clan I played in Shogun 1

Welcome to the Org IronPrince! :bow:

aimlesswanderer
02-26-2011, 14:20
I think Date or Shimazu, because, as others have noted, they have less neighbours - and therefore potential enemies. Once I figure out what I'm doing, then off to the rest. The new naval warfare will be an interesting experiment, though I prefer land combat.

Gregoshi
02-26-2011, 17:15
I'll probably go the nostalgia route and play Mori as I did in my first STW campaign, though Shimazu is kind of tempting.

Kagemusha
02-26-2011, 18:09
Hopefully after few fixes, Miyoshi or some other "minor" clan.

Gregoshi
02-26-2011, 19:35
Actually, one of the minor clans would definitely interest me too.

Barkhorn1x
02-26-2011, 20:26

At start ALL clans are minor clans!

edyzmedieval
02-27-2011, 02:56
Takeda. Takeda Shingen is my all time favourite, so it's definitely the proud Takeda.

Kagemusha
02-27-2011, 08:54
At start ALL clans are minor clans!

But ofcourse. I am just talking in terms how the clans are mentioned in the game files.

Lemur
02-27-2011, 15:49
I'll probably grab a clan that is at one or another end of Japan, and slowly work my way out. I like to have my back covered. Of course, if naval invasions are working, this will probably be a moot tactic.

Monk
02-27-2011, 16:13
I'll probably grab a clan that is at one or another end of Japan, and slowly work my way out. I like to have my back covered. Of course, if naval invasions are working, this will probably be a moot tactic.

They absolutely are in the demo. Playing with the Free Campaign mod (which does nothing but remove the scripting restrictions), the Miyoshi will drop half stacks on your back door if you're not guarding your coast line with a fleet.

Zarky
02-27-2011, 16:17
They absolutely are in the demo. Playing with the Free Campaign mod (which does nothing but remove the scripting restrictions), the Miyoshi will drop half stacks on your back door if you're not guarding your coast line with a fleet.

What worries me a bit in this game is how the naval invasions will play out. Will a completely neutral faction from other end of the map drop faction leader, all heirs and a massive army to your shores without a single turns notice, or will there be massive stacks in single ship that you can easily sink thus ending/crippling clans.

Monk
02-27-2011, 16:24
What worries me a bit in this game is how the naval invasions will play out. Will a completely neutral faction from other end of the map drop faction leader, all heirs and a massive army to your shores without a single turns notice, or will there be massive stacks in single ship that you can easily sink thus ending/crippling clans.

It's way too early to gauge anything of that nature, unfortunately. Even with the amazing work of a number of modders unlocking the demo, it's still a much smaller scale than anything we'll see in the retail edition.

From what I've seen the CAI makes decisions that makes sense. It gathers its strengths and marches on you in a show of concentrated force. If you're defending a bridge, it'll seek alternatives instead of rushing into a very hard, difficult battle. It's also done odd things: like absolutely crushing my armies in the field, but then not finishing the job and refusing to take my last province. Still: worlds more challenging than ETW's AI ever was. So we'll have to see.

Diggiz
02-27-2011, 23:11
When I buy the game and after try them all. :)

Masaky
03-04-2011, 08:45
Oda, i shall redo Nobunaga's conquests. i shall conquer all of Japan under the banner of the demon king!

Liberator
03-13-2011, 01:57
Takeda!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g5vBdGoBSA

Napoleon The Emperor Of Europe
03-13-2011, 12:28
Takeda

jean_s
03-13-2011, 20:06
You should all read Taiko !:)
Oda Nobunaga is probably the best character in the history of Japan. And his Hideyoshi...

edyzmedieval
03-13-2011, 21:16
Oda Nobunaga is probably the best character in the history of Japan. And his Hideyoshi...

Brilliant book. I loved it.
Same for Musashi.

Hosakawa Tito
03-13-2011, 21:58
Not sure who I'll play first. Anyone have a pic of the map showing the clan starting positions?

Gregoshi
03-13-2011, 22:18
Funny, I was just eye up my copy on the shelf this morning thinking it might be a good time to re-read it. :2thumbsup:

Liberator
03-13-2011, 23:03
Not sure who I'll play first. Anyone have a pic of the map showing the clan starting positions?

You can look at the starting positions in the encyclopedia of the Demo.
And those who played the first Shogun can easily guess them :2thumbsup:

gollum
03-14-2011, 02:29
If i buy the game i will play Uesugi first. Their banner is the chinese character (kanji) for "Bi", which is the initial syllable for Bishamonten (毘沙門), the Buddhist god of war.

Uesugi Kenshin (aka Nagao Kagetora in his pre-Buddhist monk days) was the most famous of the Uesugi Daimyo during the Sengoku period, who due to his martial prowess and generalship skill was believed as an incarnation of Bishamonten. He was quite a character and fought two of the most interesting, bloody and monumental battles of the period, the 4th battle of Kawanakajima against Takeda Shinge's forces and the battle of the Tedorigawa river against Oda Nobunaga.

Interestingly the battles were similar on the reverse.

phred
03-14-2011, 19:47

Samurai Archives has some fun historical maps for browsing.
http://www.samurai-archives.com/maphome.html

Doug-Thompson
03-14-2011, 20:15
Takeda, because I read somewhere it has the best cavalry.

gollum
03-15-2011, 01:34
Yeah, it will certainly have in the game as it historically did.

Gregoshi
03-15-2011, 01:56
Takeda has had an incredible surge in the later stages of the voting and dominates the poll...as it should be (I added that last bit for you Takeda fans :bow:)

gollum
03-15-2011, 01:59
Funnily enough the Tokugawa are very unpopular...

I think they should make a good game, sandwitched between teh Oda and teh Imagawa and being pretty much destined to fight multifront wars.

Cecil XIX
03-15-2011, 05:27

I think they should make a good game, sandwitched between teh Oda and teh Imagawa and being pretty much destined to fight multifront wars.

Rather then playing the winner, I think most people prefer to pick clans that historically weren't able to achieve supremacy. I will play as the Uesugi, and I intend to hoist the twin banners of Justice and Love across Japan.

gollum
03-15-2011, 05:38
The incredible thing with the Tokugawa is that they were pretty unlikely winners in history.

They went through some pretty hard times, and some very unexpected reversals in areas they had no way to influence helped them, like the battle of Okehazama that dettached them from the Imagawa, the sudden and untimely death of Takeda Shingen that may well have beaten the Oda/Tokugawa alliance and either incorporated the Tokugawa in his vassals or wiping them out in his march to Kyoto and of course the assassination of Oda Nobunaga that made succession an issue in the Oda clan allowing Tokugawa Ieyasu the chance to step in and eventually achieve complete supremacy.

But yes, you are right i guess in what you say. In addition it seems that for some reason the Takeda enjoy lots of popularity. It could be because they figure out in the intro video too.

Gregoshi
03-15-2011, 21:05
It's the cavalry gollum. It has to be the horses that make Takeda so popular - that and the Shingen "what-if" aspect. :charge:

andrewt
03-15-2011, 21:31

They have, to me, the crappiest bonus out of all the clans. CA gave them the Imagawa ability from Shogun 1. I would actually find them interesting if they have an interesting ability.

gollum
03-15-2011, 21:46
Yes, probably Gregoshi; cavalry has always attraction due to grace and power.

They have, to me, the crappiest bonus out of all the clans.

Having not very advantageous abilities can make them interesting in itself, as you have to play better than the others on the battlefield to counter. On the other hand we don't know how the political aspects will play and how much the agents will count there. It mught be that actually you can have fun in the game-within-the-game of politics. Are there inheritences in S2 like in STW?

Furunculus
03-16-2011, 12:28
is there a wikia that lists the starting position and advantages of each clan?

Zarky
03-16-2011, 12:35

The in game encyclopaedia lists all playable clan bonuses and starting locations, you can also look at the map to find out nearby province specialities.

Furunculus
03-16-2011, 13:04
cheers.

drone
03-16-2011, 16:07

We are working on it, help and contributions would be appreciated. ~;)

https://forums.totalwar.org/wiki/index.php/Category:TWS2

gollum
03-16-2011, 16:10
maybe a link of it in the guides forum sticky, here in the tea house may make it more visible drone.

al Roumi
03-16-2011, 18:43
Date or Shimazu, leaning towards Date however - Charging out of the North of Honshu with a Van of NoDachi will be FUN.

The Uesugi are tempting, although their starting position looks only slightly pereferable to the southerners. Somethingt hat might be fun is to play Christian Shimazu... Swords and gunpowder?

03-16-2011, 19:37
Date or Shimazu, leaning towards Date however - Charging out of the North of Honshu with a Van of NoDachi will be FUN.

The Uesugi are tempting, although their starting position looks only slightly pereferable to the southerners. Somethingt hat might be fun is to play Christian Shimazu... Swords and gunpowder?

Nah,The Takeda are the most popular faction,so they've been blessed a lot,with superior cavarly and good infantry,they are perfect for becoming Shogun of Japan.:book:

al Roumi
03-17-2011, 13:24
Nah,The Takeda are the most popular faction,so they've been blessed a lot,with superior cavarly and good infantry,they are perfect for becoming Shogun of Japan.:book:

They bloody need an advantage like that given their starting location...

gollum
03-17-2011, 13:31
So it seems al Roumi, they definitely need it :)

Date sounds good from that perspective.

03-17-2011, 14:16
They bloody need an advantage like that given their starting location...

Their location is pefect for players like me.There are opposing armies to the north,and some wherre i think...But you must defeat them first,by gaining the new provinces you conqer.

Squints
03-17-2011, 14:56
I'm playing as Date. I allied with the green clan that starts next to you, and wiped out the red one. It kinda sucks that you hafta kill your brother at the beginning of the campaign, but whatever. My allies are my buffer for any invasion; I just march through them and expand elsewhere.

Diggiz
08-21-2011, 04:43
Takeda!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g5vBdGoBSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DAktpko0KI&feature=related

This good.

Dexter
08-23-2011, 12:28
1st. Takeda - abandonned - expanded to fast, was not counting on all to become my enemy as RD hit
2nd. Takeda - abandonned - financial trouble, no ally, stood against the world ...
3rd. Takeda - Sei-tai-Shogun 1578
4th. Tokugawa - Shogun 1570 - all research done: 1600 winter