PDA

View Full Version : Hardware-issues with demo?

Kocmoc
02-28-2011, 13:04
Im curious, does anyone got any trouble or problems with graficcard, windows, 64bit....whatever.

TosaInu
02-28-2011, 13:27
Hello Kocmoc,

I have old hardware and 64 bit Win7. I don't have the OS installed on the faster and bigger hard disk yet, so I'll get some free optimisation soon.

The hardware is:
Asus mobo, socket 775
CPU Core2Duo E6850 @ 3 Ghz
DDRAM 2 GB still, running at 400 Mhz
GFX some Nvidea 7950 with 512 DDR
3 SATA hard disks (the game is on a different one from the OS)
LCD 1600*1200 pixels at 22"

The demo is running at medium graphical details, it feels a lot faster than the NTW demo which I tried a few weeks ago. I'ld even call it smooth, both the campaign and the battles. But sometimes it's really laggy, starting at the into screen (Sega, CA logo); nothing is running in the background.
Sometimes it loads the campaignmap and allows me to move the camera around, be it laggy. Then suddenly the screen turns black and the game loads again.

Summary:
Generally smooth
Sometimes very laggy
Sometimes the game automatically reloads

How is it running for you?

Kocmoc
02-28-2011, 14:05
Do me a favor. Try this one big battle and turn your camera so, that you see as much as possible units fighting/moving, than move camera away and look at your frames.

Well, actual it runs very good for me. I see sometimes trees with little flimmering, i call it a small error nothing serious.
I know that other people have problems, especially with ATI cards, while Nvidea seems to work pretty good for the demo.

I run it on both PCs, both are very smooth.
My small PC:
Nvidea 8800 GT 512
CPU Duo and 2,8 gHZ, Windows XP
4GB Ram
Sata

My big machine i can turn anything on:
I7 950
Zotac GTX 480 1500 MB
12GB Ram
SSD OCZ
Windows 7 64bit

All in all, both works good, no problems, just that the smaller PC drops in frames ones i turn camera into the masses.

TosaInu
02-28-2011, 22:53
Is this drop from just experiencing it or do you use a program like FRAPS?

I just ran the demo on my laptop, T5670 1.8 Ghz, 3 GB DDR, gfx some on-board Intel, slow HD, it 'ran' on low settings. I'll try what you said on my desktop when I'm home later this week.

Drunk Clown
02-28-2011, 23:10
Hello Kocmoc,

I have old hardware and 64 bit Win7. I don't have the OS installed on the faster and bigger hard disk yet, so I'll get some free optimisation soon.

The hardware is:
Asus mobo, socket 775
CPU Core2Duo E6850 @ 3 Ghz
DDRAM 2 GB still, running at 400 Mhz
GFX some Nvidea 7950 with 512 DDR
3 SATA hard disks (the game is on a different one from the OS)
LCD 1600*1200 pixels at 22"

The demo is running at medium graphical details, it feels a lot faster than the NTW demo which I tried a few weeks ago. I'ld even call it smooth, both the campaign and the battles. But sometimes it's really laggy, starting at the into screen (Sega, CA logo); nothing is running in the background.
Sometimes it loads the campaignmap and allows me to move the camera around, be it laggy. Then suddenly the screen turns black and the game loads again.

Summary:
Generally smooth
Sometimes very laggy
Sometimes the game automatically reloads

How is it running for you?

Why the big screen? It would run (a little) smoother with a smaller screen (1280x1024)

TosaInu
02-28-2011, 23:25
I need a bigger screen for the normal work I do, it's worth a try to scale the resolution down when playing TWS2.

TosaInu
03-07-2011, 15:20
Hello Kocmoc,

I didn't get to see the lag thing with rotation of the camera, but I can imagine it's possible to happen. I'm still on just 2 GB, so it's quite important to turn everything else off. It's stutter when anything is on, even the loading splash.

Kocmoc
03-07-2011, 15:31
Hello Kocmoc,

I didn't get to see the lag thing with rotation of the camera, but I can imagine it's possible to happen. I'm still on just 2 GB, so it's quite important to turn everything else off. It's stutter when anything is on, even the loading splash.

I tested around with the settings, if you use fire arrows, things get laggy with my smaller PC. It will be a problem with PC´s like yours. I just assume it, but i feel, that there will be trouble on certain settings with certain units or abilities. You used camerafreedom?
How you manage units in woods? Is it good to see or do you have some problems to keep overview?

If i play with ultra settings, i dont have problems to mange units in woods. With low settings it gets harder.
I think, that people with newer PC´s will have advances.

TosaInu
03-07-2011, 17:23
Yes, it can get laggy.

I like units in woods (STW, MTW), but in the Sekigahara battle I take them out asap because of the lack of overview. I'm not used to the units yet, though I don't confuse cav and infantry. When I zoom in the units look splendid, but zoom out a little bit and it becomes difficult to tell what is what.

Camera freedom is on by default I think, so that's what I use. I haven't found the setting to use general view or restricted camera.