PDA

View Full Version : No DX 11 Support Upon Release

DthB4Dishonor
03-11-2011, 17:35
It appears the game will not support DX 11 upon release. It will Support DX 9/10 but it hasn't even been mentioned if it will support AA.

CA has stated that DX 11 support will be patched in 2-4 weeks after release. :embarassed:

edyzmedieval
03-11-2011, 18:44
Which is a rehash of the Empire episode... Not good, but then again, it affects those with super high end computers.

I'm just sitting back and will play the game the patches will be released.

Monk
03-11-2011, 20:04
Considering my v-card doesnt support DX-11 this doesn't effect me at all.

It will Support DX 9/10 but it hasn't even been mentioned if it will support AA.

It supports AA and was mentioned in one of the various 'omg demo' threads.

Husar
03-11-2011, 20:18
Uhm, the demo has shader model 3, that's DX 9 IIRC.

If it had DX 10 there should be Shader model 4. Are there even any DX10 exclusive effects in ETW?

It's not like I really mind as long as it looks good enough though. Perhaps they could make the soldiers look more real close up with tesselation etc. but I don't remember CA games being at the edge of graphical development, yet the newer releases look good enough to me.

Gregoshi
03-11-2011, 20:29
If the game is good and immersive enough (and it seems like it will be), the video card in my mind will kick in and compensate for any "deficiencies" in game graphics. I was totally ignorant of those sprites in STW - I saw real men fighting. :2thumbsup:

DthB4Dishonor
03-11-2011, 20:40
If the game is good and immersive enough (and it seems like it will be), the video card in my mind will kick in and compensate for any "deficiencies" in game graphics. I was totally ignorant of those sprites in STW - I saw real men fighting. :2thumbsup:

Is that mind Video Card ATI or Nvidia? I have to get one :) . I just hope it runs smoothly. I know some guys with Nvidia mid/high level cards like mine were having pretty significant FPS drops. I would like it to look very nice but more importantly want it to run smoothly.

Furunculus
03-12-2011, 21:00
give me DX11!

edyzmedieval
03-13-2011, 00:43
I don't quite have a problem with this, other than the memory of ETW looming around, but there seems to be a serious issue over at TWC and the original forums over the DX11 thingy.

Cecil XIX
03-13-2011, 03:27
I don't quite have a problem with this, other than the memory of ETW looming around, but there seems to be a serious issue over at TWC and the original forums over the DX11 thingy.

I'm of much the same mind, as I myself don't have the technical knowledge to appreciate the distinction between DX9-11.

AussieGiant
03-13-2011, 10:57
Well that is just a little annoying. I'm sitting here with my copy of DAII waiting for them to get their DX11 lives sorted out. Now Shogun II comes along and say's wait a month before you can play it up to your PC specs. This is frustrating.

I understand it's only for a small cross section of the market so fair enough. I'd prefer to see them spend their time on more important aspects. I just hope they have.

EDIT: Crysis 2 also is not supporting DX11 on release day.

Something larger at work here it seems.

antisocialmunky
03-13-2011, 14:48
:\

All it does is make your stuff marginally more shiny but I guess whatever works for you.

AMP
03-13-2011, 17:18
More shiny? I want less shininess after playing the demo and more solid colors for reading the battlefield, not these shiny reflections off of units and buildings.

Barkhorn1x
03-15-2011, 17:25
Oh my!

Hi everyone, we thought some things should be cleared up and decided to post a new thread to keep all comments in one place.

Firstly, the reason the announcement of DX11 coming in a patch was a few weeks before release is because it was when the decision was made. We wanted to release Shogun 2 as stable as possible for everyone so pushed DX11 back to make it as good as we can. The patch for DX11 will be out within 4 weeks.

There is no AA in DX9 because of changes to the lighting system in Shogun 2. We now use deferred shading, the wiki article actually mentions some of the problems relating to it and AA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_shading

We are committed to making Shogun 2 the very best game it can be, and we believed it is an excellent game. We understand your frustration with recent news, but we want your game experience to be the best it can be for everyone.

DX10.1 will also have AA, DX10 will not. Both will also be enabled with the DX11 patch.

Hope this has cleared some things up.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=9165384#post9165384

...and then the flaming begins!

DthB4Dishonor
03-15-2011, 17:45
I think it was pretty damn decietful when in an earlier post they made a STRONG suggestion that at least DX10 would be available on launch. Then we get this.....

Hi all,

No intentional misleading. Graphics issues in general are very complex - and DX11 is a particularly complex one. In short, the DX11 api covers both DX11 and DX10.1, so when we said DX10 "looks great", we did in fact mean DX9, which we were happily playing at the time.
Still looks great, btw.

Thanks,

CraigTW

Nelson
03-15-2011, 17:59
After waiting 10 years for Shogun 2 I don't see how waiting a few weeks for DX11 support is an issue. Many people (probably most) have PCs that can't handle DX11 in the first place.

Furunculus
03-15-2011, 18:30
as long as it arrives i will be happy.

Barkhorn1x
03-15-2011, 19:21
After waiting 10 years for Shogun 2 I don't see how waiting a few weeks for DX11 support is an issue. Many people (probably most) have PCs that can't handle DX11 in the first place.

Well I am lucky enough to have bought an ATI HD 5670 1GB card and this is the first game that I will own that actually supports DX11 so I am kinda bummed.

Nelson
03-15-2011, 20:10
Well I am lucky enough to have bought an ATI HD 5670 1GB card and this is the first game that I will own that actually supports DX11 so I am kinda bummed.

I can appreciate being "kinda bummed". My card supports it, too. What I can't do is get well and truly bent over this. It's not like CA said "There will be no DX11 support". It is coming and it's not far off.

If it never shows up, however, color me angry. I believe we will get it in due time.

Barkhorn1x
03-15-2011, 20:14
If it never shows up, however, color me angry. I believe we will get it in due time.

Me too!

Daveybaby
03-16-2011, 11:48
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=9165384#post9165384

...and then the flaming begins!
Wow, they certainly have a lot of tantrum throwing children over there. How the hell do these people cope in the real world if the lack of a graphical setting (for a few weeks) manages to get them in such a rage?

gollum
03-16-2011, 11:51
Even if you want to whine and nag, there are so many other things to do so about the game in order to improve it.

But i guess its like the people who scream at the top of their voice in the rollercosters; its actually a proof of them enjoying.

Kocmoc
03-16-2011, 11:58
in the first place we need to get the MP team-MM working. We have tons of problems with playing online as team.
Thats the most important thing to patch/fix instantly. I guess that CA has all their 500 programmer working on this problem day and night.
They probably sleep in the office and eating only junkfood!

Finger crossed!

gollum
03-16-2011, 12:06
Read your thread about it. If i understand correctly, it seems the the clan campaign that uses the match making service works ok, but no surprises there since this is clearly more merketable.

It's the classic team mp play of 2v2, 3v3 that was found problematic, right?

Kocmoc
03-16-2011, 12:18
Read your thread about it. If i understand correctly, it seems the the clan campaign that uses the match making service works ok, but no surprises there since this is clearly more merketable.

It's the classic team mp play of 2v2, 3v3 that was found problematic, right?

Wait. The normal Hosting works good so far, you can (like classic) setup a game, people join you and than you start - this seems to work goood!
The Problem is the Team-Match-Maker. You can set up your team with up to 4 player and than let the MM search you a game.
This is the only way for rated games and to gain clannpoints or influence.

We tried to host games the normal way yesterday, with the problem, that most player are new and dont join those games.
So, if you want to play teamgames right now, you have to find you a team somehow, else you hardly will play 2v2 or higher teamgames at all.
Its pretty much down to 1v1 and MM.

gollum
03-16-2011, 12:22
I see, thanks for explaining.

IlDuce
03-17-2011, 20:02
I'm not so much annoyed at the fact that there's no DX10/11 or AA for the moment but at the way it was announced. It seems like they knew beforehand, when the game went gold, but didn't tell everybody until slightly after release when it was too late to get refunds/cancel pre-orders for those who rushed out and bought it. Maybe I've misunderstood or misread the situation but that's how it seems to me. Not a great way to treat your fans.

Barkhorn1x
03-17-2011, 21:08
It seems like they knew beforehand, when the game went gold, but didn't tell everybody until slightly after release when it was too late to get refunds/cancel pre-orders for those who rushed out and bought it. Maybe I've misunderstood or misread the situation but that's how it seems to me. Not a great way to treat your fans.

Yes, the situation can certainly be interpreted that way.