PDA

View Full Version : Shogun 2 Total War Purchase ?

LeftEyeNine
03-20-2011, 22:30
I couldn't wait until the fresh-out-of-the-oven excite wears off.

Is S2TW anything that makes you want to play everytime you have the chance to ? My budget is in crisis, I would have tried it otherwise. (no, demo is not enough for the whole feel of the game)

Thank you. :bow:

Monk
03-20-2011, 22:36
Vote: Gah. Simply due to my copy not arriving till tomorrow! Will update accordingly afterward.

Honestly though, looking through reactions here in the Tea House it seems to be a very enjoyable experience out of box. I find myself.. cautiously optimistic about it.

Gregoshi
03-20-2011, 22:38
I am surprised at how aborbed into the game I've become - I feel like my love of TW has been rekindled. I've been rather hooked on World of Warcraft (:shame:) for the past few months and after the Shogun 2 demo came out, while it was nice, I was wondering if I'd be able to tear myself away from WoW to play Shogun 2. Now I'm set to play WoW with some friends this evening but I'd rather be playing Shogun 2. The things I do for friends. :laugh4:

That doesn't help you with your financial dilemma, does it LEN? :shrug:

LeftEyeNine
03-20-2011, 22:38
The problem is, Monk, as far as I know, most of TW games picked such reception at first.

Looking forward to your decision. :bow:

Monk
03-20-2011, 22:44
The problem is, Monk, as far as I know, most of TW games picked such reception at first.

Looking forward to your decision. :bow:

Indeed. I was quite enthralled by Empire's visuals at first before the paint wore off and it became clear the state at which the game had been released. Partly though that's why i find myself optimistic this time around. I think Empire's release state made the entire community much harder on CA (even more so than before, if you can believe it). Hearing some good things, but as I've always said, no substitute for getting your hands on it and having a go yourself. Will be sure to post my opinions in the "first impressions" thread. :bow:

I've been rather hooked on World of Warcraft () for the past few months and after the Shogun 2 demo came out, while it was nice, I was wondering if I'd be able to tear myself away from WoW to play Shogun 2. Now I'm set to play WoW with some friends this evening but I'd rather be playing Shogun 2. The things I do for friends.

You poor soul...

LeftEyeNine
03-20-2011, 22:48
I am surprised at how aborbed into the game I've become - I feel like my love of TW has been rekindled. I've been rather hooked on World of Warcraft (:shame:) for the past few months and after the Shogun 2 demo came out, while it was nice, I was wondering if I'd be able to tear myself away from WoW to play Shogun 2. Now I'm set to play WoW with some friends this evening but I'd rather be playing Shogun 2. The things I do for friends. :laugh4:

That doesn't help you with your financial dilemma, does it LEN? :shrug:

I've quit the job, Greg-sama. My own forced choice. Nothing could be done anyway. ^^

Had I been able to wait for a month, this thread would mean a lot more rationally.

Anyway, moar opinians !

LeftEyeNine
03-21-2011, 13:41
Okay I'll decide myself. :smoking:

Monk
03-21-2011, 13:48
Okay I'll decide myself. :smoking:

LEN, Shogun 2 ain't perfect but what it had been thus far is really fun. I'm honestly surprised by the challenge. I can't even conquer three provinces let alone all of Japan. :sweatdrop:

I'll go with what other's have said, it's definitely the best out of box TW experience i've ever had.

al Roumi
03-21-2011, 14:58
I agree, but I'm only half way through my first campaign (on normal). I have had to reload a couple of times (campaign and battle outcomes) because the AI did me over so I'm happy to feel tested. Diplomacy makes a lot more sense -although I do have a few questions about trading (i.e. some factions not trading as much as they can, why not? Is it a conscious AI choice?).

Many of the things on the game pacing that I felt let Empire down are not an issue here, partly because of the appropriateness of Sengoku jidai to TW (or maybe the formula didnt adapt enough to Empire's setting?) -i.e. Empire got boring once you'd knocked out a few states and were cruising entire continents (albeit only a few provinces) with mega-stacks. I remember howling at the touted campaign AI ratcheting up by turning once stoic allies against me for no apparent reason and with miniscule chances of success. In S2, this is neatly covered by the Shogun's awareness -at once a rep bar as a warning meter -the more rep you have, the more likely the shogun will order everyone else to attack you.

Also, rebel factions rarely stay rebel - a new clan usually emerges even if controlling only 1 province. I found this adds incalcuable richness to the strategic picture. In my campaign, the Mori went under early, a couple of minor factions then succeeded each other in washing over the South western tip of Honshu. And each minor faction has its own trading and diplomatic options. I feel like the days of paltry and characterless "rebel" factions in what were actually very-nearly/strong states (i.e. no flanders in MTW2) are almost gone. I really appreciate this as it's one of the things i really like about EU3 -the richness of the context and that anyone can rise to prominence.

Napoleon The Emperor Of Europe
03-21-2011, 15:08
I agree, but I'm only half way through my first campaign (on normal). I have had to reload a couple of times (campaign and battle outcomes) because the AI did me over so I'm happy to feel tested. Diplomacy makes a lot more sense -although I do have a few questions about trading (i.e. some factions not trading as much as they can, why not? Is it a conscious AI choice?).

Many of the things on the game pacing that I felt let Empire down are not an issue here, partly because of the appropriateness of Sengoku jidai to TW (or maybe the formula didnt adapt enough to Empire's setting?) -i.e. Empire got boring once you'd knocked out a few states and were cruising entire continents (albeit only a few provinces) with mega-stacks. I remember howling at the touted campaign AI ratcheting up by turning once stoic allies against me for no apparent reason and with miniscule chances of success. In S2, this is neatly covered by the Shogun's awareness -at once a rep bar as a warning meter -the more rep you have, the more likely the shogun will order everyone else to attack you.

Also, rebel factions rarely stay rebel - a new clan usually emerges even if controlling only 1 province. I found this adds incalcuable richness to the strategic picture. In my campaign, the Mori went under early, a couple of minor factions then succeeded each other in washing over the South western tip of Honshu. And each minor faction has its own trading and diplomatic options. I feel like the days of paltry and characterless "rebel" factions in what were actually very-nearly/strong states (i.e. no flanders in MTW2) are almost gone. I really appreciate this as it's one of the things i really like about EU3 -the richness of the context and that anyone can rise to prominence.

On Amazon Uk,they're selling the game for 17 pounds.

Lord of the Isles
03-23-2011, 02:37
Buy it.

I was so annoyed by Empire (and a bit miffed by Steam) that I didn't buy N:TW, the first Total War game that I have missed. And I wasn't going to buy TW:S2 either, or at least not until it had been around for months. But I weakened after the initial reaction it got from fan sites after just 3-4 days, and I'm glad I did. It isn't perfect (damn flaming arrows) but with the 20% speed reduction mod I've already had my money's worth. Very atmospheric, impressively free of bugs for a modern PC game (had just one computer freeze in 60 hours of play) and real just-one-more-turn gameplay. A return to form for CA - well done.

LeftEyeNine
03-23-2011, 03:03
I actually have bought it the day before, and I'm indeed, like you, enjoying it.

Thanks for the input though. :bow:

Krasturak
04-14-2011, 16:47
Vote: Gah.

*opens coffin*

*creeps out of coffin*

*votes "Gah!"*

*creeps back into coffin*

*closes coffin*