PDA

View Full Version : Naval Battles

Dead Guy
03-21-2011, 10:17
Disclaimer: I haven't played the tutorial.

So I've had a few engagements at sea by now and have had some anoying things happen.

First, this is how I use my ships:

Sengoku Bune: Fast, lots of katanas, almost no bows = hunt down Bow Kobayas, alternatively medium Bune.

Medium Bune: Lots of archers, fair amount of katanas. Shoot, then board.

Bow Kobayas: Shoot fire arrows at nasty ships like fire bomb kobayas or heavy Bune.

Fire Bomb Kobaya: I use this to throw bombs at ships that try to board my ships. Sort of a counter to the stuff I'll talk about below.

Now, the annoying bit. Often when I send my Sengoku Bune to board other ships, they just sit there and don't move or anything, while the targeted ship just goes about it's business. This happens when there's some way to travel to the targeted ship. When it's at close range, the boarding ship often gets tangled up in itself somehow and just spins around and doesn't manage to throw grappling hooks over to the targeted ship. Why u no board? I once saw them throw one hook over when they came at the enemy vessel from behind, pulled it in and then threw lots of hooks over. Is that what you're supposed to do?

Meanwhile, when an AI ship has decided to target MY ship, it seems it often freezes and refuses to even try to row away no matter what orders i give. It just sits there and waits to be boarded.

Something else I find kind of unbalanced and/or stupid is that the boarding ship always wins. Almost always. It can be a ship with 0 bows and 20 katanas left that boards a medium bune with full crew, and the medium bune still starts wavering in no time. Is that just the game being stacked in the AI's favor? Why are the katana guys all standing below deck when the ship is about to be boarded? Nanda-yo!?

So um. Am I doing it wrong?