PDA

View Full Version : Favorite TW?

Lord Benihana
03-22-2011, 22:07
Just wondering if others felt the same way, but this is the best TW since MTW1, and leaps ahead of all of the 3D games.

Since RTW, I have just marched toward victory like a juggernaut. I actually have to think again in a TW game with Shogun 2 - I feel like my decisions matter again.

The battle are also the most rewarding since MTW1 - I can still remember some epic battles against the newly arrived Mongols out on the steppes - I just think after the disaster of Empire and the slight redemption of Napolean - CA deserves alot of credit for righting the ship (metaphorically)

Daevyll
03-23-2011, 13:29
I agree completely.

Napoleon The Emperor Of Europe
03-23-2011, 14:11
I agree completely.

Napoleon and Shogun 2.

Monk
03-23-2011, 14:16
Tie between Med 1 and S2 for me. I dunno.. depending on how post-launch plays out? S2 might take the lead, but right now its too early to tell.

edyzmedieval
03-23-2011, 14:22
MTW. Despite S2TW being a very good game (ignoring the CTDs), doesn't have the same atmosphere and I already got slightly bored of a few factions.

A Nerd
03-23-2011, 15:14
Believe it or not, I was quite fond of M2TW. Now I think I am enjoying S2TW far more.

Satsuma
03-23-2011, 15:54
Rome TW was epic in it's day, and with mods like 'Roma Surrectum 2' it still stands up.
Shogun 2 is superb though, and certainly the best of the recent TW releases.

stufer
03-23-2011, 15:59
I've played all the TW's and S2 is by far my favourite! I am blown away by it. CA have really done a fantastic job this time.

I was planning on not getting any more after Empire - thought that's enough for me. But after reading the favourable impressions by some members of this forum I thought what the hell and bought it. I certainly don't regret it.

It's not just the AI improvment that I love (although that is a big part of it - like the OP said, have to think about my moves again), but the whole feel of the game - the atmosphere. It's the small details, like when my Daimyo went to another province away from his capital, a message popped up to say that the peasants of that province were impressed by him and will work extra hard for the next few seasons! Or the dilemmas and decisions that you have to make from time to time. I like the progression of characters being a choice of different paths too.

The diplomacy is working really well too - had enemies begging me for peace which is something I don't remember from the other games at all. When you've defeated them in a crucial battle, they might now accept being your vassal.

Well, it certainly will keep me entertained for a long while to come, that's for sure.

Yun Dog
03-24-2011, 03:48
Im well into my first campaign on normal

Im loving it!

it feels like the old shogun but with the new graphics

thats the biggest compliment i can give them

CA have won me back with this title

Centurion1
03-24-2011, 06:11
rtw. i locve s2 but my first love will always be rome and remain so.

Cecil XIX
03-24-2011, 17:46
I quite agree. If not the best TW, this is surely the best any TW game has been upon release. Can't wait for patches and mods.

Wozzle
03-25-2011, 05:13
I love Roman history, so I'll always have a bias in my heart. Usually I don't pine for sequels, but I hope the next TW game is something like Total War: Rise of the Republic. The Roman world revisted with this kind of polish would make me so very, very happy.

pdoan8
03-25-2011, 05:21
STW. Being the first born, it marginally beats out MTW for the top spot.

STW2 seems to be the best since Rome, but I won't buy it anytime soon. Probably, 2-3 month from now.

al Roumi
03-25-2011, 17:08
For me, it's hard to find a setting as appealing as the middle and renaissance ages of europe and the mediterranean. I'm therefore very attached to the narrative and my achievements in MTW and MTW2. Sengoku jidai is also fascinating but it does make STW and TWS2 ultimately much reduced in scope compared to the MTW games (this is also a benefit to the quality of the product).

"Rome" I find interesting but the treatment of nonGreco-Roman civilisations was so cursory in RTW that I didn't find it as satisfying or absorbing an experience -if you didn't play as Rome or a Greek civ.

If a TWM3 could be made with the same degree of detail and quality (noting that this would be a much expanded area to cover) as TWS2, I would be an exceedingly happy chap.

Ed TW
03-26-2011, 22:05
I know I'm alone on this one, but Shogun1 and MTW1 is mine. As pretty as it is I really really don't like the 3D map. There's too many bells and whistles and it keeps getting worse with each one. I hope in the next one that there is an option to turn the campaign map to either 2 or 3D.

Brian Mc
03-26-2011, 23:03
MTW and MTW2 remain my favourites, just because the scope is so grand and every game was a completely different experience.

This is probably the most polished effort, and I appreciate the changes made and the game mechanics, but the lack of variety is a big deal for me. When the MTW titles were released I could hardly get through 10 turns without starting over to experience another faction. With this, half way through a campaign and I feel like I've pretty much experienced what the game has to offer.

Incongruous
03-27-2011, 00:20
#1 STW: MI-I saved my pocket money up for months in order to get this, and I wasn't dissapointed, frikin Kensai! Also the new historical campaigns and the ability to choose differing time frames from the Sengoku Jidai was awsome.
#2 MTW-This was an amazing game, it only come no.2 because it came out after STW, I can't choose between the two. There was so much immersion in this game, and it wasn't all serious, some of the things I could make my characters do and some of the traits they could recieve were so hilarious. I also appreciate how CA managed the changes of technology during the period, far better than Empire imo.
#3 TW: S2-Fun, fun, fun. This has helped to relieve some of the pain which installments Rome through to Empire caused me and signals a return to gaming greatness from team at CA, simple,immersive and beautiful.
#4 N:TW I wanted to love Empire so much, but it was just too much of an obese child, way too much packed into what seemd like a poorly thought out game design, but it showed great potential. Thus NTW was a great relief, a tighter campaign did not require the AI to be something it wasn't, the greater focus upon war suited the game design much better than the civilisation-esque Empire, the campaigns were well done as was the battle experience both on land and sea.

quadalpha
03-27-2011, 03:41
I know I'm alone on this one, but Shogun1 and MTW1 is mine. As pretty as it is I really really don't like the 3D map. There's too many bells and whistles and it keeps getting worse with each one. I hope in the next one that there is an option to turn the campaign map to either 2 or 3D.

I like the 2d map too, but I think that boat has sailed.

Reapz
03-27-2011, 18:52
I agree with the OP. This is a great game. I am sure in a few months when we have worked out the nuances of getting the best out of all the units, the research bonuses, and the terrain, it will all seem a lot easier but I am enjoying the learning curve. Right now, in the early game, I feel like there is a real possibility I will get wiped out.

... So I'm thinking about what Rome 2 will be like ...

Ashen
03-28-2011, 02:13
Can't pick a favorite but if I had to, S2TW would be in with a definite shout. RTW or MTW would be there too. Not so much the original STW or ETW/NTW but did get a lot of value from M2TW as well.

Monk
03-28-2011, 03:11
Already there's a couple great modding efforts are springing up for S2, and i have to say with their help this game is winning an even bigger place in my heart. :2thumbsup:

Gregoshi
03-28-2011, 04:08
I'm reserving my vote until more time passes, but so far S2 is passing with flying colours.

Ash
03-29-2011, 17:38
I've only played the MTW series, and now I'm playing STW2. Must say, though STW2 is great, MTW somehow is much more grand. Covers more and varied territory without becoming overwhelming like I imagine ETW is. Covers a decent amount of time too, from 1070s to 1453. Lots more to get done. Plus religion is a three way free-for-all. What's not to like? And the units are more varied to.

Still, STW2 is a blast if you're looking for something non-western. But I wouldn't mind MTW3.

Forward Observer
03-30-2011, 07:02
So far I am enjoying Shogun 2 immensely, and having recently played a campaign in the original Shogun to just get in the mood, I think it's a worthy successor.

However, my most favorite time periods of historic warfare are still Medieval and Napoleonic, so I will continue to play both of those off and on. I just have to get my artillery fix now and then---Heck, I will even still play Empire--simply because of the artillery and of course the epic global expanse---nothing like an artillery duel in the tropics.

Cheers

Prodigal
03-30-2011, 07:56
RTW, but simply due to it being my favourite time period, would love to see a V.2 of it.

Rothe
03-30-2011, 14:37
STW2 has definitely potential to become my preferred TW, but so far there are too many items that might ruin it:
- Economy: the food effect on growth vs. market chain is really bad design
- Bugs: CTD is not that uncommon in my single player campaign
- AI: AI attacks my forts with equal stacks and gets totally annihilated
- AI: suicidal generals

If you fix the above, STW2 will become my favorite for sure.
Some tweaking of unit stats might be also good, but I have a feeling it will happen either through CA or mods for sure.

MTW1 and 2 are my favourites really. If you made a MTW3 with STW2 style skill/tech I would really love it. Copy the RPG elements added to the generals and agents and the game gets a lot better. Also, I like the fact that agents might contribute to the economy (like Metsuke) and that food supply is relevant (since it makes for different priorities of conquering areas).