PDA

View Full Version : Religion

TosaInu
03-24-2011, 00:25
I conquered a few provinces that were 100% Christian, while my daimyo is Buddist. As a result I get a lot of unrest, a monk can convert them?

LeftEyeNine
03-24-2011, 00:30
Or if coastal, a military port is effective as well although I have not tested them myself. Maybe worth looking into by demolishing the Nanban ones.

therother
03-24-2011, 00:31
Yes. Monks seem to convert 1% per turn per star. Temples also convert, I forget how much, bigger ones convert more. The effect of monks is cummulative: 5 1 star monks convert 5% per turn. You'll also get 0.5% for having a Buddist daimyo. If you hover over the religion stats in the province info page it details the factors influencing religion: there might be a Christian building in the province itself (like a Nanban port) or a building in a neighbouring province (which is obviously more tricky to get rid off).

Hosakawa Tito
03-24-2011, 00:40
Hehehe, maybe a higher level monk, but the plain vanilla one had no effect for me, the province stayed 100% Christian, it had the foreign trade port and I kept it to recruit teppos. I placed my metsuke and 2 units of spear ashiguru, plus set that province's taxes to zero. I believe the foreign trade port has a Christian conversion rate of 4, so a combination of higher level monk & higher level buddhist temple would be needed to counter act the port effects. I'm only playing on Normal to get the feel for how things work without getting crushed right away. I kept my daimyo and generals out of that province after capturing it to avoid any chances they would pick up bad traits. I imagine that on higher difficulty the unrest is probably harder to control.

TosaInu
03-24-2011, 10:15
The nanban port was undoing it in my province.

Are there also Christian priests in this game?

Zarky
03-24-2011, 11:22
The nanban port was undoing it in my province.

Are there also Christian priests in this game?

Yeah, missionaries recruited from chapels, but I've only seen 2 so far and they both were 1 stars that I assassinated and converted, one added bonus for being Christian seems to be that you get slightly more bonuses to chi arts research.

Daveybaby
03-25-2011, 12:07
Yeah, one nanban trade port is going to cancel out the effect of several monks, never mind just the one low level one, so trash it asap.

In addition to the nanban trade ports, I dont think religious buildings get autodestructed when you conquer a province like they did in, say M2TW. So check for those and destroy them pronto. Replace any christian buildings with temples (at least second level if possible). Then spam with multiple high level monks.

Well worth softening up christian provinces with monks *before* you invade. This gives you a chance to boost your monks levels (via incite uprising/demoralise missions) which makes a massive difference to conversion rates.

Zarky
03-25-2011, 13:31
In addition to the nanban trade ports, I dont think religious buildings get autodestructed when you conquer a province like they did in, say M2TW. So check for those and destroy them pronto. Replace any christian buildings with temples (at least second level if possible). Then spam with multiple high level monks.

That is true, I've once actually captured a province with a chapel, I could have kept it, but I couldn't train missionaries.

A Nerd
03-25-2011, 13:35
I took a province with a nanban trading port. I didn't want to deal with Christian rebellion so I destroyed it. I took a big trade hit and lost some trading partners. While building up to a trade port to get the trade back, I was invaded and soon lost the campaign. I don't know how unrest would have been. But I think I would repeat the process again should the situation arise. I was just afraid to beef up my garrison with less money coming in. I guess you learn from experience.

al Roumi
03-25-2011, 16:52
I've played a few campaigns around Kyushu now and the Jesuits always turn up. A Nanban trade port creates something like 3.5 conversion per turn. You'd need a high level Shinto/Buddhist building and a couple of monks to keep conversion down, if not at zero.

I started off wondering what the point of turning Kirishitan was, given the immediate hostility from other Daimyos and exhorbitant cost of imported weapons. But, as I get more used to the game's pacing -that essentially you will inevitably end up at war with everyone, I'm questioning this a little. I think the nanban trade bonus may squeeze more revenue out of fewer trade routes and perhaps more useful to the long march to 40+ provinces, turning the population against Shinto daimyos (with a host of Kirishitan monks) could well prove a much more powerful weapon than Buddhist monks.

Mr Frost
03-25-2011, 18:13
You get a base 0.5% conversion everywhere from your Clan religion .
Monks convert at 1% per level plus and bonuses from retainers and skills {the total can get quite impressive .
Monistaries at top tier can cancel out a Namban ports' conversion {they're 1% per level as I remember} .
The maximum {all agents total} you can have preeching in a settlement is 3 and keeping agents actually in the settlement is important to level them up when not interacting with other Clans' agents . I'm not sure they can even convert without being in the settlement {I think not by memory} .

Place monks into a settlement whenever you're not using them to slowly rank up {it seems to be a progressive accumulation of points towards a levelup per turn , but I think it might have a random element to how many} and you should have enough to cover your needs if you build say one monistary per province {religion is important in this game} and use them wisely , build more if you want to use them more agressivly .

Zarky
03-26-2011, 06:35
The maximum {all agents total} you can have preeching in a settlement is 3 and keeping agents actually in the settlement is important to level them up when not interacting with other Clans' agents . I'm not sure they can even convert without being in the settlement {I think not by memory} .

Place monks into a settlement whenever you're not using them to slowly rank up {it seems to be a progressive accumulation of points towards a levelup per turn , but I think it might have a random element to how many} and you should have enough to cover your needs if you build say one monistary per province {religion is important in this game} and use them wisely , build more if you want to use them more agressivly .

I have to disagree with you on that latter part.
But first, yes monks can convert by just being in a province, using them on "minister to settlement" mission increases province happiness (I think 1 happiness per star)

If you really want high level monks, you should use them aggressively: demoralise enemy armies and incite revolts. As Mori I actually incited so many revolts in Kyushu that I got the island with just 1 war declaration. Better yet you should capture holy site and build pilgrim hostel so you have rank 3 monks right off the bat, only downside being no retainers until level up, which will take longer.

Also religion is not important in this game. There are 3 religions, and Ikko Ikki usually get wiped out early/mid game, and so far I've only had Kyushu clans and Chosokabe convert to Christianity, and they're all so wrapped up on their own islands that they won't exactly spread their religion elsewhere.
I see religious buildings and monks as just one more way to boost my chi research and happiness, not a big fan of warrior monks.

al Roumi
03-26-2011, 19:42
Also religion is not important in this game. There are 3 religions, and Ikko Ikki usually get wiped out early/mid game, and so far I've only had Kyushu clans and Chosokabe convert to Christianity, and they're all so wrapped up on their own islands that they won't exactly spread their religion elsewhere.
I see religious buildings and monks as just one more way to boost my chi research and happiness, not a big fan of warrior monks.

Yeah, Naginata Samurai are better armoured but lack the exceptional morale and warcry ability of the monks.

I'm decided that my next campain will be as a Kirishitan Daimyo and that I will prosletise like an evangelist in Africa.

MCM
03-27-2011, 19:31
I started off wondering what the point of turning Kirishitan was, given the immediate hostility from other Daimyos and exhorbitant cost of imported weapons. But, as I get more used to the game's pacing -that essentially you will inevitably end up at war with everyone, I'm questioning this a little. I think the nanban trade bonus may squeeze more revenue out of fewer trade routes and perhaps more useful to the long march to 40+ provinces, turning the population against Shinto daimyos (with a host of Kirishitan monks) could well prove a much more powerful weapon than Buddhist monks.

The real benefit to being Christian is that you can upgrade the Nanban Trade Port to the Nanban Quarter, which then allows you recruit European Cannons and Nanban Trade Ships. Nanban Trade Ships are just less powerful versions of The Black Ship; you can wipe out pretty much any native Japanese fleet with a single Nanban Trade Ship (although watch out for Fire Bomb Kobayas). The Nanban Trade Quarter is probably the best town growth building in the game, but you can only build one Nanban Trade Port to begin with (though you might capture more).

Christian daimyos also have half price Imported Matchlock Ashigaru that train faster than normal. But IMA aren't really that great to begin with; I found them worse than bow ashigaru in general. They can be useful for the morale shock against other ashigaru units but the shorter range and long reload times made them subpar.

I did a Shimazu campaign where I went Christian pretty early. It basically just slows you down a lot because you're having to convert the populations as you go along, by moving your Missionaries with you and building Chapels (and chapel upgrades), leaving larger garrisons behind, et cetera. And it's harder to get trade agreements because everyone dislikes you, typically an extra -10 penalty. (Although Ikko-ikki daimyos have a -25 penalty).

Lemur
03-27-2011, 19:36
I finished a Mori/Christian campaign this weekend, and as a big inciter of unrest, I have to say that playing Christian is almost too easy. Like, broken. Without too much effort I had every province surrounding Kyoto in a state of Christian rebellion. My priests were turning into Bishops as fast as I could crank them out.

I got to play with the cannons, though, since you can recruit them from a Nanban Quarter (one-time one-province step-up from the Nanban Port). They're kinda fun, but also kinda silly. Don't do much to walls, low on ammo, generally good for a laugh and that's it.

Now I'm trying the opposite, the super-Buddhist Uesugi, and I'm having a much harder time. The Date and I keep trading provinces. And inciting unrest as a Buddhist is much harder.

MCM
03-27-2011, 20:02
I finished a Mori/Christian campaign this weekend, and as a big inciter of unrest, I have to say that playing Christian is almost too easy. Like, broken. Without too much effort I had every province surrounding Kyoto in a state of Christian rebellion. My priests were turning into Bishops as fast as I could crank them out.

I got to play with the cannons, though, since you can recruit them from a Nanban Quarter (one-time one-province step-up from the Nanban Port). They're kinda fun, but also kinda silly. Don't do much to walls, low on ammo, generally good for a laugh and that's it.

Now I'm trying the opposite, the super-Buddhist Uesugi, and I'm having a much harder time. The Date and I keep trading provinces. And inciting unrest as a Buddhist is much harder.

Ha, that's exactly what I did. Inciting unrest with Christian Missionaries was really, really easy. Even just having high-level Christian Missionaries standing in a province for a few turns would typically spawn a rebellion, if the castle wasn't upgraded much and there was no garrison.

I also started an Uesegi Buddhist campaign afterwards. Buddhists definitely aren't as good at starting unrest, and Warrior Monks are less user-friendly than Samurai (the -1 training time on the Naginata building doesn't apply to Monks; Blacksmiths have to be upgraded more before they work for Monks; Monks are more expensive; Monks are more vulnerable to arrow fire).

Gregoshi
03-27-2011, 20:21
Hey, welcome to the Org MCM! ~:wave: You've made some nice contributions so far for it being your first day here. :bow:

Rothe
03-28-2011, 08:04
I am guessing that conquered provinces with Nanban ports are the real problem, as they start 100% christian. That means that you need more than +3.5% (three monk stars) to get any conversion done at all. It seems very expensive to keep several monks there to get a positive conversion rate, even at +1% it will take 50 turns to get 50% buddhist for instance (which is I guess some kind of break point for unrest etc.)

Still, Nanban ports are useful, but I suggest doing what happened in my current campaign. Wait until you get the message about foreign traders. Then, pick a port town where you want to make Teppo units and build a buddhist temple there (before the port comes online). Train a monk to2+ stars and put him there. Once the Nanban port is built (by your own initiative) you can keep 100% buddhist religion pretty easily with a tier 2 temple and a 2-3 star monk. No fuss, and you'll get your Teppo and trade bonus.

So, trash conquered Nanban ports, but build your own where you already have 100% buddhist province and enough conversion to stay at the status quo.