PDA

View Full Version : Merciless Daisies

LeftEyeNine
03-25-2011, 02:32
Do you, like me, have a habit of chasing and chopping down to the last man in case the enemy gets defeated and routs with what little is left of them after a battle ?

Centurion1
03-25-2011, 02:38
yes. unless its a sally out on a siege or a siege battle itself. then they retreat to the center and regroup at least in prior titles i believe they no longer do so. so yes i always do its good for generals who are too risky for anything else.

LeftEyeNine
03-25-2011, 02:47
So that makes two of us, Mujihina Hinagiku, Centurion1.

Osu ! >:|

Gregoshi
03-25-2011, 02:58
"Yes but..." here. I used to all the time, but I tend now to only do it 1) if I have cavalry, or 2) if I have infantry in a position to cut off the retreat, or 3) the retreating unit hasn't taken too many casualties.

pdoan8
03-25-2011, 05:14
Yes, if I can catch them. However, I will spare the general if I can.

Dead Guy
03-25-2011, 08:13
Of course! The general gets the royal treatment: Being chased by bow cavalry with fire at will turned on!

I hate those Yari Samurai that dastardly activate their rapid advance ability and run off the map faster than my cavalry can chase them. For two reasons: 1. I don't get to kill them. 2. No one can run that fast... It's pure Benny Hillage.

A Nerd
03-25-2011, 09:28
I always like to chase down and kill as many as possible. You get experience still, it seems some infantry can keep up with routers and still kill a few, and if you wipe out most of the army, there will be nothing left of it on the strat map and you won't have to worry about dealing with it or it sitting in your territory somwhere for the next turn. Yay!

Daveybaby
03-25-2011, 11:24
It's always advisable, but it's kinda tedious.

I kinda wishes there was some kind of penalty for choosing to continue after you win a battle (the only possible reason for choosing to do this is to slaughter routers). In original MTW you didnt actually kill routers, just captured them (somehow...) and then got the option to release / ransom / execute - with appropriate hits to chivalry/dread/diplomacy (not that there *was* much diplomacy in M1).

It'd be cool if there was an honour hit for slaughtering retreating troops in S2.

Cute Wolf
03-25-2011, 12:18
It's always advisable, but it's kinda tedious.

I kinda wishes there was some kind of penalty for choosing to continue after you win a battle (the only possible reason for choosing to do this is to slaughter routers). In original MTW you didnt actually kill routers, just captured them (somehow...) and then got the option to release / ransom / execute - with appropriate hits to chivalry/dread/diplomacy (not that there *was* much diplomacy in M1).

It'd be cool if there was an honour hit for slaughtering retreating troops in S2.

that was in M2TW, but shogun is much bloodier

actually, those who defeated will commit seppuku

al Roumi
03-25-2011, 13:24
It's a point of principle to ram defeat home. Given the alternative of fighting the routers again next turn, incurring more casualties to my men, of course I'd run them down now.

Kagemusha
03-25-2011, 14:41
I have the same view as al Roumi. Kill as much as you can, so you dont have to fight them another day.

Lord Benihana
03-25-2011, 17:13
I find myself going really infantry heavy in this game, and really neglecting to have cav - except maybe a general unit... I try to kill routers, but those katana samis are not as good at sprinting as the peasants running in terror

Nelson
03-25-2011, 17:43
I cut down as many as I can catch. If I can position troops for pursuit before the rout begins I'll do it. I've had 25 survivors burn my crops. If they get away they can harm you later.

al Roumi
03-25-2011, 17:50
I find myself going really infantry heavy in this game, and really neglecting to have cav - except maybe a general unit... I try to kill routers, but those katana samis are not as good at sprinting as the peasants running in terror

Yari Cavalry. Apart from taking out isolated archers, their main function is charging down routers. I try to take 2 with me as much as possible.

Monk
03-25-2011, 20:25
Yari Cavalry. Apart from taking out isolated archers, their main function is charging down routers. I try to take 2 with me as much as possible.

Indeed. That's why the quality horses resource is so important in the early game. If you can secure (and keep) access to samurai horsemen you'll find destroying armies MUCH easier once you've managed to break them.

Of course, it's keeping the resource that's the problem. :laugh4:

LeftEyeNine
03-25-2011, 20:50
Quality units are hard to prefer;

for at least double recruitment time
for initial and upkeep costs

If you are in emergency or a tension is surely building up, investing on these guys seem almost irrational.

Of course they are less likely to lose and/or more likely to win but, well, I'm not prepared to go hi-tech soon, I guess.

Monk
03-25-2011, 21:22
Quality units are hard to prefer;

for at least double recruitment time
for initial and upkeep costs

If you are in emergency or a tension is surely building up, investing on these guys seem almost irrational.

Of course they are less likely to lose and/or more likely to win but, well, I'm not prepared to go hi-tech soon, I guess.

It's all about balance, i've found. I'm at the 20 turn mark with 4 proinces in my latest campaign but even then, i find that any more than 4 units of samurai per stack is seriously pushing my economy to its limit. I think its about having that good core of units, 2-3 samurai, and then just build ashigaru around them. :yes:

LeftEyeNine
03-25-2011, 21:56
I have my "royal" army with a stack of 6 Shimazu Katana Samurai, other than that, stacks of quality in armies is quite sparse.

Dreadnought1
03-26-2011, 02:38
Three reasons to chase the routers:
1. XP
2. Stops the remainder wandering around your provinces making a nuisance of themselves and destroying your infrastructure.
3. Saves you having to fight the same soldiers again later on.

Cheers,
Dreadnought1