PDA

View Full Version : Passing armies and agents ship-to-ship

therother
03-26-2011, 02:22
What do people think about using chains of fleets to transport armies (and agents) great distances in one turn? Is it a legitimate tactic? Have people seen the AI use it?

Just to explain, the idea is to have a chain of fleets, each separated by roughly the distance a ship can travel in one turn, with each fleet passing armies/agents on to the next fleet in the chain. The new fleet will still have almost full movement points remaining, so can move off from the 1st fleet after the transfer. In this way, in one turn, you can transport armies from one side of Japan to the other using a chain of a dozen or so ships. (*)

I usually restrict myself to manoeuvres that the AI can perform, but have used it once or twice in my current VH game when I was in a sticky spot, and use it frequently for agents who have been sent back to the capital to recuperate.

(*) You can also use this to get armies seaborne within the same turn: say you have a fleet of 2 ships, you get one to do boarding (which kills its movement), then merge the 2nd ship, demerge the 1st ship and then the 2nd ship should be free to move away with the army on board. You can even land the troops at a port and have them move off...

quadalpha
03-26-2011, 04:00
What do people think about using chains of fleets to transport armies (and agents) great distances in one turn? Is it a legitimate tactic? Have people seen the AI use it?

We're talking about the AI that's only recently figured out how to launch amphibious assaults here.

(Seems a bit gamey to me, but might be good for recreating the teleportation chain from Tunbridge Wells to Jerusalem for MTW nostalgia value.)

Zarky
03-26-2011, 06:41
I've occasionally used this method to transport armies and I suppose it's slightly gamey, but I think it would be rude of me NOT to destroy AI as quickly as I can :laugh4: