PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks

d1ng0d0g
03-26-2011, 18:02
I thought I'd share some of the tricks I learned in this game without making it a full blown guide and hope others will add to this. A good format is to split them in Campaign Map and Battle Map tricks and tips.

Campaign Map
- Religion is a double edged sword that you can use without any big risk to completely eradicate an enemy of the opposite religion. Cause a revolt, wait for the rebels to take over the castle, then take it for yourself. My Chosokabe Buddhists used it to completely roll up all the Christians, while keeping relations with them next to perfect.

-When you're close to victory, make absolutely certain that your economy can handle losing all your trade partners. In my current game I'm about seven turns close to bankruptcy, and I still need to get nine provinces. I might pull it off, but it's a close one.

-Make vassals. Even if they betray you toward the end. It's much easier to roll up several smaller nations who also fight among each other, than to destroy a coalition of massive clans. This can be disputed, but in my game, I am having severe problems with the Hojo, Tokugawa, and Besho clans. The only remaining clans in the game, and for a long time we were all staunch allies.

-Take Kyoto absolutely as the last province. Even the Realm Divided event doesn't have such a big impact on your relations as becoming the Shogun.

-As it's said somewhere in the game fluff text. There is no dishonor in victory. When short on money, loot castles. Burn everything to the ground and just let it fall back in enemy or rebel hands. Just keep an eye on your Daimyo's honor.

Battle Map
- In my (limited) experience, playing any battle defensively, is usually the way to victory. I tend to let myself be attacked instead of attacking myself. Also, the Stand and Fight 'power' is really awesome. Even if it makes your army immobile. Just reposition yourself after a while.

-Always do naval battles on your own. Even with one ship you can win it against about 3:1 odds.