PDA

View Full Version : To Adopt Or Not To Adopt?

Naughtius Maximus
03-27-2011, 00:37
Is there any particular reason not to adopt a general into your family? I am playing a campaign as the Tokugawa and adopted two generals into my family, marrying one of them to a daughter of a minor clan that I need to ally with as they are a buffer state. Not particularly sure if there is a benefit to leaving generals out of the family or not.

I am wondering whether if my general might revolt if his in-laws decided to betray me or not...

That would be interesting if that was the case.

Monk
03-27-2011, 01:33
I could be wrong but I don't believe your sons can serve as commissioners. I think that might be reserved for generals and the brothers of the Daimyo. However since I never tried to assign a position to a son i'm just guessing here. :shrug:

LeftEyeNine
03-27-2011, 03:03
Your heir only can not serve as a commissioner.

Other than that, on topic, adopting a general to your family increases his loyalty. Not adopting him may be left to your atmospheric connection with the game; "indifferent" in the game's language, I say. It would be weird to have generals placed automatically within your family line anyway. They have to have an initial state.

9 cents.

Naughtius Maximus
03-27-2011, 03:07
LeftEyeNine is correct - they (adopted) generals can hold commissions. They can even be made heirs, in case your sons turn out to be wankers.

Monk
03-27-2011, 03:11
Your heir only can not serve as a commissioner.

Ah thanks for that clarification, i knew it was some kinda restriction there. ~D

LeftEyeNine
03-27-2011, 03:21
LeftEyeNine is correct - they (adopted) generals can hold commissions. They can even be made heirs, in case your sons turn out to be wankers.

Unadopted generals can hold commissions as well.

quadalpha
03-27-2011, 03:33
The only trade-off is in loyalty. Adopting increases loyalty of the general but decreases the loyalty of all your adult sons. So if you have no sons who have come of age, there is no reason not to adopt. Once you've adopted one general, however, adopting another will affect the first adoptee's loyalty.

LeftEyeNine
03-27-2011, 03:34
That's an even better clarification, quadalpha. I never noticed. :bow:

quadalpha
03-27-2011, 03:43
That's an even better clarification, quadalpha. I never noticed. :bow:

Cheers, LEN :) I spend too much time squinting to read the little tooltip texts.

Zarky
03-27-2011, 05:55
I'd like to point out that apparently adopting generals causes loyalty hit even to Daimyos brothers, this happened to me in Takeda campaign at a time when there were no adult sons yet.

Gregoshi
03-27-2011, 07:21
I adopted a general only because I had no heirs and the daimyo wasn't married yet - not a good situation to be in. Otherwise, the general would have to have many stars for me to consider adoption.

Lemur
03-27-2011, 07:52
I've noticed that when you bring in a new general, your existing commanders can get an "upstart generals" trait that hits them for -1 loyalty. Likewise, existing brothers don't much like you adopting, and will also take a -1 loyalty hit. Not a big deal unless they're already wavering.

I accidentally bribed a general into my service, and he started with a "disloyal tendencies" trait that put him at a -1 or -2 disadvantage. Then I hired another general and he got worse. Put him on a cheap boat and sunk it. That still works.

therother
03-27-2011, 11:02
Put him on a cheap boat and sunk it. That still works.Save yourself the boat: just disband his unit and he commits seppuku.

Forward Observer
03-27-2011, 18:08
One thing to be careful of--is in switching commssions. I don't know if I did it incorrectly or not, but the net result was that at least one of my generals took a negative hit by being stipped of a commision--even though I immediately gave him another one. This was my best general too, and because of this he now only has one loyality pip.

Every few turns, I keep getting this message asking whether I want to have him commit sepiku or have a chance to redeem his loyalty.

This is having a negative effect on my Daimyo's honor until I figure out how to fix it---maybe I'll try adding one of the agents that insire armies or better yet--I'll find him a cute hooker that can inspire loyalty. :laugh4:

Gregoshi
03-27-2011, 18:35
...or better yet--I'll find him a cute hooker that can inspire loyalty. :laugh4:
There is a female retainer of sorts that boosts the command rating (I think) but slows down the army movement rate - for some reason. ~;) I also got a similar random trait for my heir - he apparently really likes women. :laugh4: I wonder how his wife feels about this... :hairpin1:

Zarky
03-27-2011, 19:36
There is a female retainer of sorts that boosts the command rating (I think) but slows down the army movement rate - for some reason. ~;) I also got a similar random trait for my heir - he apparently really likes women. :laugh4: I wonder how his wife feels about this... :hairpin1:

There are actually all types of female retainers, 1 increases land defense command and slows armies down, 1 reduces loyalty and adds something else and 1 increases loyalty...
So behind every successful samurai, there is his wife, and behind her in the dark are several other women...

Centurion1
03-28-2011, 02:48
or multiple wives. it was common practice in those times to take multiple wives

quadalpha
03-28-2011, 03:25
Female retainers can come from being chosen (that's the -1 loyalty, +1 command "ambitious wife") or from diplomatic marriage. As far as I've seen, diplo marriages are all good (no minuses to trade-off).

Zarky
03-28-2011, 05:24
As far as I've seen, diplo marriages are all good (no minuses to trade-off).

I'm not sure that's 100% true.
I've had a daughter who had "greedy wife" trait show up when I hovered my mouse over her, and it went to the general who I married her to. There's no reason I couldn't have passed this trait to another clan through diplo-marriage. It's just that most daughters seem to have no traits whatsoever.

quadalpha
03-28-2011, 11:51
I'm not sure that's 100% true.
I've had a daughter who had "greedy wife" trait show up when I hovered my mouse over her, and it went to the general who I married her to. There's no reason I couldn't have passed this trait to another clan through diplo-marriage. It's just that most daughters seem to have no traits whatsoever.

Oh, interesting! I've only ever had one daughter, so I haven't noticed. Hm, there's no way to check out other clans' daughters before marriage either. This is surprisingly realistic.

Zarky
03-28-2011, 13:47
Oh, interesting! I've only ever had one daughter, so I haven't noticed. Hm, there's no way to check out other clans' daughters before marriage either. This is surprisingly realistic.

I think the key here is that the daughter I had was born after the game had started.
None of the starting daughters have any traits to my knowledge.

quadalpha
03-28-2011, 14:57
I think the key here is that the daughter I had was born after the game had started.
None of the starting daughters have any traits to my knowledge.

But all the foreign daughters I married came with good traits. By this I mean the husband got a "Polite Wife" or some other such in his retinue.