PDA

View Full Version : Org Issues and Improvements

Pages : [1] 2

TinCow
04-03-2011, 23:21
As noted in the Org Admin thread, Sigurd, therother, and I are currently responsible for handling the technical side of the Org. We're still getting our bearings and this forum is very complex, so it may take us a while to get to grips with everything. We could use the help of every single member to ensure that the forum works properly and is as efficient as it could be. As such, I would like to formally request that everyone please notify us of anything you see, anywhere on the Org, that is broken, works oddly, or otherwise seems to be wrong or glitchy in any way. In addition, please also tell us if there is anything about the physical structure, layout, or features of the Org that you think could be improved. You can respond by posting in this thread, or by PMing us.

Thank you very much in advance for your help; without you guys the Org wouldn't exist. :bow:

Alexander the Pretty Good
04-04-2011, 00:03
Oh crap read this before the announcement :(

Togakure
04-04-2011, 01:39
This is minor in context, but it has annoyed me for some time now. The "mark forum read" function doesn't seem to work consistently throughout the board. I don't know if this is skin-related or not (I use the earthy-colored "Guild" skin).

At least one forum works as the function should (I can't remember which one specifically at the moment): there is immediate visual feedback on the thread list, where all unread threads are marked read, without requiring a refresh. A great many forums do not work this way.

Hopefully this isn't skin-related, as multiple skins would multiply testing and fixing. I suggest trying this function on each forum and sub-forum, starting with the Guild skin since I know that the problem occurs with it, and noting which work as expected and which do not, then noting the settings of one that works correctly, and setting all the other fora up the same way.

I'll edit this post with information about which forums seem to work as expected and which do not, with more details, later.

EDIT1: example, the Front Room. I select Mark Forum Read and click, and nothing happens. The drop-down remains. If I then back out of the FR and return, the threads still seem unread. If I then refresh the browser, they all are marked read.

Iirc, the Watchtower works properly, but I need to confirm this and there are no unread threads for me in here at the moment.

EDIT2: The forums that work correctly are the new TWS2 forums. When I select "mark forum read," the drop-down list clears, and all the unread threads instantly lose their bold text, without me having to click my browser's refresh button. Many of the older forums do not work this way.

Askthepizzaguy
04-04-2011, 07:20
1. When trying to find a person's posts in a specific thread, by clicking on the number of posts in that thread from the sub-forum the thread is in, I can get the number of posts and by whom, but when I click on their number across from their name, it does not consistently return a search of just their posts in just that thread. Often times it returns all their posts. That search function has been broken for.... almost a year now. For me, anyway.

2. I cannot delete private message receipts except manually, one by one, clicking on each box. There should be a box that allows me to select all of them and delete all of them.

Monk
04-04-2011, 07:20
The org is in good hands. :bow:

Good luck guys, I'll be sure to keep an eye out and report whatever I see.

caravel
04-04-2011, 08:14
Most of the issues I see are with the STW template/theme. There is invisible text on the member profile page. Also code tags look like this:

Do I need glasses?

Monk
04-04-2011, 08:16
Most of the issues I see are with the STW template/theme. There is invisible text on the member profile page.

Yeah, the default text, border and button colors seem to blend with the STW theme. I've changed the text color on my profile page and it shows up just fine.

caravel
04-04-2011, 08:22
Ah yes, some of the default settings are for "transparent" text. Either a glitch or an error.

I've fixed it on mine but the defaults need sorting out.

:bow:

//edit: I found more transparent text in the "tabs" at the top:

Home | Forum | Blogs | What's New? | Board | Files | Multiplayer

When you mouse over the last 3 menus the text label disappears.

Kocmoc
04-04-2011, 08:39
There are actual problems with uploading pics, probably you know already, but I better repeat it.

I need a working upload, so I can add pics to the MP-guides and blog. Andres tried it too and he couldnt get it to work.

There is also a safari problem, once you go to your settings. You cant see anything, some words are simply "hidden".... it looks wrong and broken.
With Fire Fox it works.

TinCow
04-04-2011, 13:29
There are actual problems with uploading pics, probably you know already, but I better repeat it.

I need a working upload, so I can add pics to the MP-guides and blog. Andres tried it too and he couldnt get it to work.

Can you give more details on this? What upload system are you using and what errors are occurring?

There is also a safari problem, once you go to your settings. You cant see anything, some words are simply "hidden".... it looks wrong and broken.
With Fire Fox it works.

Can you post screenshots of this?

therother
04-04-2011, 15:44
A few suggestions:

- auto check the "Remember Me?" and "Request a read receipt for this message" boxes: they used to be checked by default.
- remove Campus Martius and Sakura for TWS2 from View Forum Leaders (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showgroups.php).
- When I mouse over Board, Files and Multiplayer on the top bar the text goes black, making it unreadable in the STW skin. - We should have more of these on the top bar, bring out hidden links to fun stuff like the wiki and arcade. Is there anything more going under Multiplayer?
- The two entries under files are probably important enough to be brought out into the open, ie uploads and downloads.
- Substantially increase the size of PM boxes? We have plenty of resources, no need to scrimp.
- Ditto for attachments?
- I get this when I'm using IE7 on all skins:
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/therother/ieproblem.jpg

TinCow
04-05-2011, 03:45
This is minor in context, but it has annoyed me for some time now. The "mark forum read" function doesn't seem to work consistently throughout the board. I don't know if this is skin-related or not (I use the earthy-colored "Guild" skin).

At least one forum works as the function should (I can't remember which one specifically at the moment): there is immediate visual feedback on the thread list, where all unread threads are marked read, without requiring a refresh. A great many forums do not work this way.

Hopefully this isn't skin-related, as multiple skins would multiply testing and fixing. I suggest trying this function on each forum and sub-forum, starting with the Guild skin since I know that the problem occurs with it, and noting which work as expected and which do not, then noting the settings of one that works correctly, and setting all the other fora up the same way.

I'll edit this post with information about which forums seem to work as expected and which do not, with more details, later.

EDIT1: example, the Front Room. I select Mark Forum Read and click, and nothing happens. The drop-down remains. If I then back out of the FR and return, the threads still seem unread. If I then refresh the browser, they all are marked read.

Iirc, the Watchtower works properly, but I need to confirm this and there are no unread threads for me in here at the moment.

EDIT2: The forums that work correctly are the new TWS2 forums. When I select "mark forum read," the drop-down list clears, and all the unread threads instantly lose their bold text, without me having to click my browser's refresh button. Many of the older forums do not work this way.

I have investigated this, and found the cause. It is not skin-related. It happens in any forum that has a subforum. If you click Mark Read from the Forum Tools, the threads DO get marked read, but the page does not reload so you do not see the unread icons disappear. If you manually hit reload, they will shift over to read icons (as they will if you browse away and come back). A bit of research indicates this may be caused by a conflict with another plugin. I will try and figure out what is causing it, but in the meantime just manually hit refresh after clicking the button and it will work.

TinCow
04-05-2011, 15:18
2. I cannot delete private message receipts except manually, one by one, clicking on each box. There should be a box that allows me to select all of them and delete all of them.

I have added the ability to mass-select all PM receipts on the same page, so it works the same now as mass-deleting PMs. There is a little check box in the top right of the read receipts list. Check it and all receipts on that page will be selected. At least, that's how it's supposed to work. Please report any bugs with it.

Monk
04-05-2011, 16:29
I have added the ability to mass-select all PM receipts on the same page, so it works the same now as mass-deleting PMs. There is a little check box in the top right of the read receipts list. Check it and all receipts on that page will be selected. At least, that's how it's supposed to work. Please report any bugs with it.

Tested, worked. Didn't notice any issues. :bow:

GeneralHankerchief
04-05-2011, 18:48
This is a minor point, but there are some official headings, titles, and descriptions in the TWS2 section that are still listed as S2TW or Shogun 2: Total War. As CA has officially designated the game to be Total War: Shogun 2 and not the other way around, I think it's bad form to have it listed as anything aside from the official designation.

therother
04-05-2011, 20:14
Did we get them all?

Board was down for 10 mins while we backed up the database. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Monk
04-05-2011, 21:55
It seems like the board auto-resizes images hosted on other domains for display purposes. If i go into "advanced reply" mode, i can see them in their actual size, but when looking at the thread in normal viewing they've at least appear to be resized. This doesn't seem the case in the Frontroom, but is certainly the case in the Tea House.

Any chance this can be removed, or is there a setting i'm missing? :confused:

TinCow
04-05-2011, 22:22
It seems like the board auto-resizes images hosted on other domains for display purposes. If i go into "advanced reply" mode, i can see them in their actual size, but when looking at the thread in normal viewing they've at least appear to be resized. This doesn't seem the case in the Frontroom, but is certainly the case in the Tea House.

Any chance this can be removed, or is there a setting i'm missing? :confused:

Please post a link to an example of this, so that I can experiment.

I will note that it's a bad idea to simply leave image size unrestricted. The forums used to have a setting like that and extra-large images would throw thread sizing completely out of whack and make it harder to read. If it's possible to tie the scaling image size to the size of each individual person's frames, I will try and do so.

Cecil XIX
04-05-2011, 22:29
I think the uploader needs to be updated to take into account the faster internet speeds of nowadays, specifically with regard to save files. Medieval II save files are very small by modern standards, usually only a few megabytes. Yet we are required to compress them to upload them in order to save about a megabyte of space. Granted it's a small inconvenience, but the gains are no negligible that I think it would be wise to raise the size limit for the uploader so we don't have to bother with compressing such small files.

Incidentally, congratulations to you and Sigurd. Just as there is sorrow at losing a good man, so too is there joy in knowing that there are those who can fill the void left behind.

Ibn-Khaldun
04-05-2011, 23:06
Perhaps someone could update the Org FAQ?

Also, is therother another Technical Administrator? If so.. Congratulations!

Monk
04-05-2011, 23:11
Please post a link to an example of this, so that I can experiment.

I will note that it's a bad idea to simply leave image size unrestricted. The forums used to have a setting like that and extra-large images would throw thread sizing completely out of whack and make it harder to read. If it's possible to tie the scaling image size to the size of each individual person's frames, I will try and do so.

Auto-resized
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?133978-The-Shogun-2-Screenshot-thread&p=2053288074&viewfull=1#post2053288074

Actual size
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/578919280524564542/8B0208639B2A9FDB89683D55E452D8E4D68FE525/

therother
04-05-2011, 23:23
Perhaps someone could update the Org FAQ?It's on my (ever increasing) list of things to do. I've updated about 20% of it up till now.

Also, is therother another Technical Administrator? If so.. Congratulations!Thanks. TBH, I think they just didn't want me to pester them about member group permissions and whatnot for the FAQ...

TinCow
04-06-2011, 00:20
I think the uploader needs to be updated to take into account the faster internet speeds of nowadays, specifically with regard to save files. Medieval II save files are very small by modern standards, usually only a few megabytes. Yet we are required to compress them to upload them in order to save about a megabyte of space. Granted it's a small inconvenience, but the gains are no negligible that I think it would be wise to raise the size limit for the uploader so we don't have to bother with compressing such small files.

I agree with this. The uploader has been locked down to file compression, and given the vast resources of the server we're on, I don't think that's really necessary anymore. I will remove all limitations on the filetypes that can be uploaded. I'm also working on making the entire system a bit more accessible.

Monk
04-07-2011, 10:47
Would it be possible to display announcements on the main guild page: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/index.php

As it is now they only appear once you've opened a sub-forum. Sometimes (with quick news like incoming backups) it feels like they're easy to miss.

therother
04-07-2011, 11:16
There's no built in way to do that, we'd need a code modification. Best we can do for now is to use the CMS article highlighting.

Monk
04-07-2011, 11:30
There's no built in way to do that, we'd need a code modification. Best we can do for now is to use the CMS article highlighting.

Ah, a shame then. :bow:

Thanks for clarification.

TinCow
04-07-2011, 13:34
A found a different function (notices) that works similarly, and have added an announcement about the screenshot contest.

Tellos Athenaios
04-07-2011, 17:05
There is an odd issue with markup that the forum generates for forum listings (forumdisplay.php?$forum_id-name/page$page) when it contains moved threads. For some reason the forum software injects ETX (0x3) characters in the markup for the thread summary and tooltip. This suggests a more serious bug with the forum software because ETX is a non-printable ASCII control character dating back to the olden-days of teletypes and it is not supposed to surface in normal data.

To illustrate what I mean, the forum markup for a moved thread looks like (where ETX is the single character 0x3 rather than the string "ETX"):

<div class="threadinfo" title="ETX">
<!-- stuff -->
<div class="threadmeta">
<p class="threaddesc">ETX</p>
<!-- stuff -->
</div>
</div>

For example if you go to https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?70-Europa-Barbarorum/page9&order=desc&daysprune=-1&pp=30
And break out your hexeditor, use it to search for the char sequence of "Tactic" you will find:
https://img848.imageshack.us/img848/3140/prop1.png (https://img848.imageshack.us/i/prop1.png/)

Beskar
04-07-2011, 18:04
I saw what you did there, it works very well.

therother
04-07-2011, 18:51
Most of the issues I see are with the STW template/theme. There is invisible text on the member profile page. Also code tags look like this:

Do I need glasses?Both of these should be fixed now.

Beskar
04-07-2011, 19:09
Good Job, that is fixed.

However, the 'tab' part is unreadable (the ones for info, awards, etc)

therother
04-07-2011, 19:11
However, the 'tab' part is unreadable (the ones for info, awards, etc)Done.

drone
04-07-2011, 23:05
https://img848.imageshack.us/img848/3140/prop1.png
All I see now is blonde, brunette, redhead. ~;)

TinCow
04-07-2011, 23:25
There is an odd issue with markup that the forum generates for forum listings (forumdisplay.php?$forum_id-name/page$page) when it contains moved threads. For some reason the forum software injects ETX (0x3) characters in the markup for the thread summary and tooltip. This suggests a more serious bug with the forum software because ETX is a non-printable ASCII control character dating back to the olden-days of teletypes and it is not supposed to surface in normal data.

To illustrate what I mean, the forum markup for a moved thread looks like (where ETX is the single character 0x3 rather than the string "ETX"):

<div class="threadinfo" title="ETX">
<!-- stuff -->
<div class="threadmeta">
<p class="threaddesc">ETX</p>
<!-- stuff -->
</div>
</div>

For example if you go to https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?70-Europa-Barbarorum/page9&order=desc&daysprune=-1&pp=30
And break out your hexeditor, use it to search for the char sequence of "Tactic" you will find:
https://img848.imageshack.us/img848/3140/prop1.png (https://img848.imageshack.us/i/prop1.png/)

I am not sufficiently intelligent to understand what this means.

Tellos Athenaios
04-08-2011, 00:14
Short version: it's exceedingly unlikely that this ETX (End-of-Text) character is *supposed* to be there. It's more likely the result of a bug and/or data corruption. The character dates back to when computers didn't have displays and you needed to print out the response of commands on paper much like a receipt: its purpose is to signal that the end of a response message is reached.

TinCow
04-08-2011, 00:40
Short version: it's exceedingly unlikely that this ETX (End-of-Text) character is *supposed* to be there. It's more likely the result of a bug and/or data corruption. The character dates back to when computers didn't have displays and you needed to print out the response of commands on paper much like a receipt: its purpose is to signal that the end of a response message is reached.

What is this indicative of that I need to be concerned about?

As for data corruption, some of the posts on this forum have been ported over from different forums, some running software other than vbulletin, about two or three times. Could this be related to really old database information from ported posts/forums?

Tellos Athenaios
04-08-2011, 01:11
It could be that data in the database is bad, it could be that the forum is generating garbage. I'm betting on the latter one as it seems to occur for every deleted thread but then again the thread samples I saw are fairly old. The code to worry about is probably near the vicinity of the SQL queries run on the forum database to fetch a list of threads or a single thread. There should also be a check to see if the thread has been deleted nearby because this only seems to occur on deleted threads.

To check if it is the database you could try a SQL query on the first post of a given thread (for instance the deleted threads in the example forum listing given), or alternatively if the thread summaries are stored in the database try those instead. Something like:

SELECT * FROM `test` WHERE path LIKE UNHEX('03')

So if the forum is generating garbage you may want to complain to vbulletin, however if the database is bad, you'll know how late it is.

Kocmoc
04-08-2011, 11:28
What about to involve new player more?

I see whats going on at com or twc and I miss these kind of people here.
Maybe the entrance is too much? I dont know, I just see the difference, at least for S2 I see a handful old player filling the forum.

I spoke with Tosa about a video-CMS side, it can be easy added and is an amazing way to get attention. the current video "tread" is far from good, its a bad way to get many vids involved, you will loose overview too easy.

As i said, there are plenty of CMS templates out, which work like a charm for many other sides. It also should get big button on top of the page, not just a section somewhere.

THis forum has tons of forens, tons of sections... while its logical and good way to sort it, it generated a very bad overview for new people.

I think in a certain direction, if i were new, i would want a few things first. Actual im interested into s2 SP and MP, this should get pushed a lot more, ensure people have one easy click to get to the action. I also dont think that this ever will work, as long people have to do some steps to get to certain treads/forums.

Where are the tourneys? Where is the discussion for the tools I asked for? What is going on behind the scene?
The org is an old place with many memories, I love it. But it lost contact to the new player, the new "community".

Im not even sure, what exactly you want, but for me, I miss the contact to all those guys who try a TW game online the first time!

therother
04-08-2011, 19:14
Thanks for the suggestions. The staff are actively discussing improvements to the CMS, our appearance and attractiveness to newcomers, tournaments etc.

One thing: what tools did you ask for?

Kocmoc
04-09-2011, 12:17
Thanks for the suggestions. The staff are actively discussing improvements to the CMS, our appearance and attractiveness to newcomers, tournaments etc.

One thing: what tools did you ask for?

Well, I actual was deep into this matter with Tosa already, so I try to explain it in a short way here:

I have some experience with organizing tourneys, you can still see here: www.kocmoc.de

We had to make endless lists and write a lot down, back at that time I already had one idea, how to make a Tourney more fluid.
What I want is, a system like you see on Worldchampionships, it looks like this: http://de.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/southafrica2010/matches/index.html

Actual it would be a nightmare, the chatrooms are devided its very laggy and a tourney with more than 100 people involved would take weeks to finish.
If we would use such a "gametable" the whole system would lay in the hands of the player itself.

The table should have a startsetup, where we write the names in, this cant be changed from anyone.
Now, the player play vs each other and there will be a winner, now the loser will leave and dont care anymore, while the winner write his name in the next window.

If there is a problem, the "loser" contact a gamemaster and we will watch the replay! (In old days we got all replayes and had to check everything, which was some hard work)

This way, the winner would play the other winner and than the system keeps going.
At some point someone has to wait, since the other guys need a bit longer... anyway, the system will move on its own, with a very high speed.

Im sure, you understand my base idea here. We could split it up and set the quarters and finals to one weekend. I want to get 2 spectators in the finals, who stream i life on Xfire.

thats some short overview.

Koc

Monk
04-10-2011, 19:09
The site does not appear to correctly clear my cookies. When i press "logout", I at first appear to be logged out, but returning to the Org I am once again logged in without having actually logged in.

Using Chrome by the way.

therother
04-11-2011, 08:03
Tosa installed this (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/competitions.php), although I'm not sure exactly what he intended to do with it. Reading its features though, I think it might be what you are after for arranging a competition.

Kocmoc
04-11-2011, 11:20
Well, the problem today is the ingame communication, once a tourney did start. The setup is easy, since everone know who to play, the second step is already a problem, since you will need a lot of time to communicate. My suggestion would exactly solve this step and make it more fluid.

If you get around 100-200 player (lets say 1v1), than you would need without such a tool at least 3 weekends.
Rather 4.

The challenge is, to get something done in 1 day, with finals the other day.

The problems are huge, the current chat/foyer makes it impossible to get some good communication especially with all the crashes and drops....
The only way to overcome it would be to use a different chatsystem, but this generate instantly new problems, since half the people wont have that and need to install it.

If you make the communication with such a chat, you have to install that here at the org as well.

Imo we need such a tool i suggested and an own chatsystem. With the chatsystem we could "install" the different groups and get people in that.

My point is clear, we need some tools to ensure that many games are played in a short time. Reduce the waiting times and let solve most things by the players itself.

Koc

Who am i?
04-11-2011, 12:06
Hello

Could you not simply use a web IRC channel and something like this? (example tournament provided):

http://challonge.com/pot1
Challonge is free, can randomly seed, can seed, can upload replays, can do multiple forms of tournaments (elim and double elim etc).

Shogun must be launched through steam, overly has web access, easy to get web IRC, works in steam browser, no downloads needed, simple web address.

TinCow
04-11-2011, 12:10
Well, the problem today is the ingame communication, once a tourney did start. The setup is easy, since everone know who to play, the second step is already a problem, since you will need a lot of time to communicate. My suggestion would exactly solve this step and make it more fluid.

If you get around 100-200 player (lets say 1v1), than you would need without such a tool at least 3 weekends.
Rather 4.

The challenge is, to get something done in 1 day, with finals the other day.

The problems are huge, the current chat/foyer makes it impossible to get some good communication especially with all the crashes and drops....
The only way to overcome it would be to use a different chatsystem, but this generate instantly new problems, since half the people wont have that and need to install it.

If you make the communication with such a chat, you have to install that here at the org as well.

Imo we need such a tool i suggested and an own chatsystem. With the chatsystem we could "install" the different groups and get people in that.

My point is clear, we need some tools to ensure that many games are played in a short time. Reduce the waiting times and let solve most things by the players itself.

Koc

Do you mean something like Teamspeak or Ventrilo?

Kocmoc
04-11-2011, 13:25
Do you mean something like Teamspeak or Ventrilo?

I dont think that TS or Vent will be a big help, while most people can write english, many have a hard time speaking it.
I speak about chatsystem, there are cms (or how its called) out, where you can enter your name, get into the chat and than choose one of the created rooms.

So I speak about writing communication, which also could be documented, what will be quite hard with spoken words.

If you go with a KO-system, you have to make starting groups with 8 player involved (just example) It would look like this:

ROOM 1

Player A vs. Player B
Player C vs. Player D
Player E vs. Player F
Player G vs. Player H

In old days, we made one room in the foyer for this called "ROOM 1", the first step communication was easy...in the end you had these 8 players in this particular room.

The winner of the matches played each other, so in total there was 3 turns with 1 winner. (actual this was moderated by 1 person in each of these rooms).
With the tool I asked for, this could be given to these people and they would autosolve it, no moderator needed, quick communication.

Well, Im pretty sure, everyone did understand it by now, so i stop here.

Koc

TinCow
04-11-2011, 13:37
Why can't you just use the existing IRC channel (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/ezirc.php) for that? We've got an embedded program that you can access from the top bar of the forum itself, and it's effortless to create new channels for whatever purpose you want from within that.

Kocmoc
04-11-2011, 15:59
Why can't you just use the existing IRC channel (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/ezirc.php) for that? We've got an embedded program that you can access from the top bar of the forum itself, and it's effortless to create new channels for whatever purpose you want from within that.

Yes, that can be used. Its fine.

The problem I have, which is pure subjective, is that many things at the Org are pretty hard to find. There are tons of extras everywhere, endless forums, treads, but a very low good structure. For me, its too much, I admit, that I didnt saw that there is an IRC chat at all. I also doubt, that many use it.

I have a clear Idea about how something has to look, but again, subjective.

Working on a system, which has base "problems" will always end in some halfway solutions and on the other hand, Im sure, most people like it as it is right now.
From a PR-POV the whole "Org-system" looks dusty and old. The main page is probably not used by many, most people will surely get to the forum directly.
Thats something you can check quick, by looking at the stats.

This is a tactical direction, basic ideas about how something has to work. I run tons of sides, based on CMS system and a handful sites handmade. I halfway (I got programmer for that) have an idea how CMS work and what you can do with it. Thatswhy i suggested the Youtube-vid CMS side.

Fact is, from my business oriented POV, this side needs a heavy remake. If I had to "sell" it, I would make it completely new and implement the forum at some point.
Just a lot less fractured, with less treads/forums. But of course, thats actual in your hands. Im just sharing my ideas and offer my help.

Same goes with Google and some ceo, the placement is bad, while you got the Clans and dont use the power, TWC got probably less Clans, but seems to use it!
Its all about the definition, what you want to get this place too.
In german I say to these kind of places "Sammelsurium", its a collection of many things which are not used at all or just halfway.

I miss the fiction, the big idea behind it, apart from being a side about a certain matter.
It needs a think-tank, a group or a person who has the big ideas.

Why there isnt a tourney yet?
Where are the tools?
What are the plans?

I see tons of admins here, some I know, some not (which isnt a problem at all). I see tons of treads and posts, but look at the amount and where people post the most!
Fact is, that the current TW game has very low numbers of posts and treads, almost no real input at all. Go there and read it.
I see complaining, but very low content, people rather speak about how bad the game is, than sharing ideas about tactics.

I have the deepest respect for Duck, but I dont see him bringing MP-content or real input here. Now that might be my wrong idea about what an admin has to do.

My point is, you have a lot more posts in other section (which has nothing to do with current TW game), than in the S2-sections.
Its clear and shows the problem, look at com or TWC, there is the life, there are people who play the game, the action, the traffic, the questions....

This place was Nr.1 at the times, as it was all about the game! Now its far away from the old days, since its not about the game anymore (not in the same amount).
Most player are not here, you dont do interviews with player, you dont prepared the vid-section, you dont got X-fire ready.

You dont have moderators who go online and stream stuff or make videos. I want to see the action, but you cant deliver!
With tons of moderators here, there should be 7 guys, where each of them record a "top-ranked" game per day and make it shown here.
BUMP!

The top players, play 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3 and you bring that each day. Holy Moly! Thats something people want to see, how the top guys battle each other.

Same goes for the tourneys, where on earth is the Org Tourney?
Why we dont hear about it? Is there something in work already?
Whats so hard to organize that? Its not too hard and it wont take you 4 weeks (since release) to get the first tourney going.

Tosa´s dead brought up many problems, Im aware of it. Still, its about time, that you guys get content done here. Working on structures is one thing and important, no doubt.
To get the move and actual start important new things, is another story.

I love this place, dont get me wrong, I like all those helpful guys here.
Its just that you got the power to get things done and I cant see it. My heart is bleeding, if I see this slow endless needing business here.

Koc

PS: Dont get mad at me, I really love you all ;)

TinCow
04-11-2011, 16:19
The problem I have, which is pure subjective, is that many things at the Org are pretty hard to find. There are tons of extras everywhere, endless forums, treads, but a very low good structure. For me, its too much, I admit, that I didnt saw that there is an IRC chat at all. I also doubt, that many use it.

We're aware of this issue and we've already made some small structural changes and are very open to many more. If you've got specific ideas about what we should do to improve the structure, please do post them.

From a PR-POV the whole "Org-system" looks dusty and old.

We are currently working on a completely new default skin for the website, which (IMHO) looks a lot better than anything we currently have. This takes time though, so it's not going to be online tomorrow.

The main page is probably not used by many, most people will surely get to the forum directly.
Thats something you can check quick, by looking at the stats.

I agree, but that CMS use is largely a content issue and we're working on ways to increase content generation, with several specific projects already in the works. One of them includes what will be the best guide to TWS2 on the internet. Content generation cannot be done exclusively by the staff though, we need to have the members to contribute a lot as well. As such, we are going to do our best to encourage member-driven content generation and give members access to any and all tools and resources that would help them in those regards. The system hasn't been formalized yet, so there's no public information on how to go about it, but I would expect information about the new system in the very near future.

PS: Dont get mad at me, I really love you all ;)

Trust me, your post is viewed positively, not negatively. We need passion and a desire to get things done. I promise that real, substantive changes are coming and that they will be noticeable. Please do keep pushing us and pointing out the flaws with the Org, as it helps us keep moving forward.

Kocmoc
04-11-2011, 16:40
I try to give something back to this place, by working on the MP-guides, Im not doing this alone, so thanks to everyone who did help me out!
Im doing this, because I always did love this place and the game, old player will remember my "Train-camps" back in STW. I did that almost each weekend and showed pretty new guys some basics, today thats a lot easier with youtube and replays.

If you need help, Im glad to help out, I have experience with Tourneys and a clear Idea about how it should be done.
I can say, that I got quick help with a small or big problem here! I couldnt upload stuff and you solved it for me, thanks!

Many things I listed are based on what you guys are planing. I just can bring some ideas up, apart from that you need a definition about what you need.
Im dont just speak, I do something, if i complain somewhere, I bring solutions as well or work on something. Im sure you guys work hard and Im also sure, that things cant get changed in a short time. Good things need some time.

I just pointed some things out, X-fire and the vid section "Game of the day" - featured from ...... Can be a way to attract people.
There is the CWB and the CWC, both could be powered by the Org. Use that, bring the big games, let people vote about the games they want to see as video.

I can surely make one or two of these video, but there is menpower needed. Some small organization.
Maybe your base structure is a bit clustered. There should be (thats how I tend to work in real) some groupleader and some small groups, who get stuff done.

The video of the day is some strong feature. You just need to change the CMS for this.
Give the main-page some meaning, less information, but more important information.

Clear and easy rider, cut all the stuff which isnt used.

Im sure you got some hardcore guys, who know how to work with CMS. Thats not that hard to do.... Im not the guy who need to tell you this anyway...

How about different languages? Im as german player, I know people who only speak german, but dont speak a single english word.
Im not sure how much this could get used, but since im active on some german boards as well, I can you ensure, that the content there is extreme bad.

Guides as example can be translated, videos is the same.

Again, its hard to speak about this all, without to know what you are already planning, so i might just repeat stuff you are working already.

Populus Romanus
04-12-2011, 00:37
May I suggest a system similar to the TWC's Content Staff, whose job is solely to manage events and the likes?

Monk
04-12-2011, 01:20
May I suggest a system similar to the TWC's Content Staff, whose job is solely to manage events and the likes?

:grin2:

Populus Romanus
04-12-2011, 06:57
:grin2:

:inquisitive:

Husar
04-12-2011, 09:21
I just saw the announcement (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/content.php?160-New-Org-Mobile-Style) for the new mobile style and that is something I wanted to request sooner or later anyway, it will take some getting used to because of the different layout but seems to work very well and load very fast on my iPhone.

However, since it's for the small screen and the tight bandwidth, I would like to request/suggest/mention two possible additions, starting with the less important one.

- ability to collapse forum sections, a minor issue since they're rather small anyway but it still took a bit of scrolling through sections I don't go to anymore to get down to the Tavern.

- jump to new post - button on the forum view, this is a vital one, especially when you're on the go and loading times can be a bit long or a thread has more than 20 pages and you have no idea where it was the last time you looked at it, on the normal forum skins you have to zoom in quite a bit to reliably click it as well so for the mobile version it should be of sufficient size, it's one of my most-used buttons on the whole forum and would be really nice, if not vital, to have in the mobile version.

therother
04-12-2011, 10:45
Try lightweight2, it has jump to post. This is also now publicly available (previous one was restricted to staff). Not sure about how to do the forum collapsing. Will think on it.

TinCow
04-12-2011, 12:11
:inquisitive:

Be patient, that question will be answered in the very near future. :bow:

Ibn-Khaldun
04-12-2011, 13:40
Since Monk is dark blue then I guess he is someone whose job would be organize "events and the likes". Am I right or am I wrong?

therother
04-12-2011, 13:49
You would be right.

Husar
04-12-2011, 13:52
Thanks, the new one works quite a bit better with the ability to jump directly to new posts.

Ibn-Khaldun
04-12-2011, 13:57
You would be right.

And where is my reward? :clown:

TinCow
04-12-2011, 14:03
Monk is just the first, there will be a few more popping up in the near future (likely today). The Org is making a major push to increase unique content generation, and the Content Managers will be leading that effort. They are being given all resources at the Org's disposal to aid them. I believe the Content Managers will be seeking assistance from the members as well, though it's more appropriate to let them introduce themselves and discuss the process they intend to use.

edyzmedieval
04-12-2011, 14:12
Monk is just the first, there will be a few more popping up in the near future (likely today). The Org is making a major push to increase unique content generation, and the Content Managers will be leading that effort. They are being given all resources at the Org's disposal to aid them. I believe the Content Managers will be seeking assistance from the members as well, though it's more appropriate to let them introduce themselves and discuss the process they intend to use.

Brilliant. :bow:

May I suggest the restarting of the Gahzette as a measure of content generation?

caravel
04-12-2011, 14:42
Congratulations Monk.

//edit: suggestion - I may be out of date, not to mention out of touch with this, but wasn't the Gahzette distributed in some kind of downloadable .pdf format? I would suggest that in future it be part of the front page. That way it's much more accessible - with an archive for previous versions.

TinCow
04-12-2011, 14:56
//edit: suggestion - I may be out of date, not to mention out of touch with this, but wasn't the Gahzette distributed in some kind of downloadable .pdf format? I would suggest that in future it be part of the front page. That way it's much more accessible - with an archive for previous versions.

PDF copies of all back issues of the Gazette are available in the downloads section (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=174). Visibile and ease-of-use of the downloads section remain an issue, and we're actively working on improving it. However, it is a long-term project and will take some time.

caravel
04-12-2011, 15:19
Yes, I understand that's how it worked in the past - I was suggesting maybe scrap the .pdf format altogether and instead have it as part of the main page, if possible?

:2cents:

Monk
04-12-2011, 16:44

A guy makes a hundred avatars and the next thing he knows, he's got a bag thrown over his head. Wakes up in a dark room and.. well.. I wont go into it.

But yes. [professor farnsworth] Good news everyone! The org staff have invented a new device that lets you get the word out, quickly and easily about the things you want the community to know about. It's called official support![/professor farnsworth]

I'll be doing content things around the org in the comming weeks. Part of that is me setting up the steam group linked below in my signature (if you haven't joined and are on steam, you should! Our numbers are growing fast.) Maybe even making more avatars and doing fancy things with images. But my primary function here is to facilitate aid to you, the members. If you have an event or a contest you'd like to see run, send me a PM. I can arrange official support in the way of: Announcements, front page posts, Steam group posts visitor message advertisements, and so on. In certain cases I may also help take on the heavy lifting of the project, if you were to need help getting it off the ground. :yes:

I can also arrange for you to have access to the content forums, letting you organize bigger projects behind the scenes before you post them. :wink:

Congratulations Monk.

Ibn-Khaldun
04-12-2011, 16:50
What more can I say..

Congratulations Monk! :balloon2:

Kocmoc
04-12-2011, 20:02
Monk is good choice! Hes here since a long time and actual he seems eager to get something done. Congrats!

Monk
04-12-2011, 23:00
Monk is good choice! Hes here since a long time and actual he seems eager to get something done. Congrats!

I will work very hard to be worthy of that endorsement.

Thank you, everyone. :bow:

a completely inoffensive name
04-13-2011, 00:42
There is a bug in the system that seems to keep handing me infractions whenever I post. Could you guys look into this?

TinCow
04-13-2011, 00:51
There is a bug in the system that seems to keep handing me infractions whenever I post. Could you guys look into this?

Hmm... looks like a flaw with the ACIN code itself. We don't have the tools or access required to fix this at the moment, so you'll just have to wait until the ACIN code is patched to correct this bug.

Askthepizzaguy
04-13-2011, 04:22
I'm not sure where to post this, but I must have eaten a really funky pizza, because I'm seeing all sorts of weird colors associated with some of our finest orgahs. I worry I could be having a psychotic episode.

Can someone explain what all the new colors mean?

Here's what I have so far.

Old System:

Blue- One of the little peoples.
Green- Demigod, capable of inflicting great wrath down upon the little peoples.
Red- The most feared and respected of the Old Gods. RUN AWAY!!!

New System:

Blue- One of the little peoples.
Green- Demigod, and ever so much wrathful awesomeness still
Dark Green- Buh?
Dark Red- Pluh?
Dark Blue- Snuh?
Red- I cower in fear.
Other colors- I need my medication.

Populus Romanus
04-13-2011, 04:25
Congratulation Monk!

GeneralHankerchief
04-13-2011, 04:26
I'm not sure where to post this, but I must have eaten a really funky pizza, because I'm seeing all sorts of weird colors associated with some of our finest orgahs. I worry I could be having a psychotic episode.

Can someone explain what all the new colors mean?

Blue refers to our new position of Content Manager (currently only possessed by Monk) whose goal it is to... well... create special content. As for the dark green, our Tech Admins have gotten a bit drunk with power and are going through a painstaking process of deciding exactly which shade looks most lordly and impressive. This may take a while to figure out.

(again, there will be an official announcement on this quite soon, we're just ironing out the minor details.)

Askthepizzaguy
04-13-2011, 04:28
Yes, I just noticed it's a very bright blue. And now the blue that I have looks sad. Let me rearrange the colors.

New System:

Lame blue- One of the little peoples.
Green- Demigod, and ever so much wrathful awesomeness still
Dark Green- Buh?
Dark Red- Pluh?
Awesome Blue- Snuh? CONTENT OVERLORD!!!
Red- I cower in fear.
Other colors- Are there others? If so, how shall I worship these, o Lords?

Monk
04-13-2011, 04:49
Dark green and dark red are basically the Tech admins experimenting with colors, as GH said. As for me? Well, i'm quite fond of my blue. It especially stands out on the STW skin. :wink:

Kocmoc
04-13-2011, 08:47
Usually you see me complaining and moaning a lot, so you will probably be happy to see a much more positive post from me today.

Well done guys!

1. I like the video thing on the right side, thats the way
2. the rider on top are getting better
3. working on tourney and give that in the hand of people like monks is the right direction

Keep the pace up. If I can help out with something, feel free to contact me.

edyzmedieval
04-13-2011, 18:34
Couple of content generation/general Org improvements. :bow:

- the relaunching of the Gahzette - advertising it in the Entrance Hall, Frontroom and Total War Center could really help out in order to recruit more members
- create a War Room, official forums style - that way when you check the people's profile they can see what games you play and what achievements/stats you have (this should be optional and NOT linked to your Steam account like on the official forum, it's up to everyone if they want to include it)
- a new Mead Hall contest - with a Japanese theme
- STW Multiplayer Competition (cmon, we're good at STW)
- post ranking system - something similar to the S2TW skill tree, the more you post, you get different avatars and other incentives which kinda make it more interesting to stay here
- more content generation - encourage people to post AARs, perhaps a separate subforum at the top of the S2TW main forum is required? That way we ensure content generation and views for the members who take their time to post

And of course the big idea given to Monk, for which I will keep my mouth shut for now. :grin2:

therother
04-13-2011, 18:44
Glad you like the videos Koc. We've also just updated the tournaments add on to a nicer looking, more featured version.

Ibn-Khaldun
04-14-2011, 08:30
Must say that I really like this Mobile skin! Much easier to browse the forum using my phone. :-)

Kocmoc
04-15-2011, 17:13
Id like to see a Clan-overview, with a good list of clans.
There should be a Clanleader-mail-system, the steamgroups listed....

It would make things a lot easyer, if we could inform all the different clans out there with just one "mass-mail". It came into my head, while working on the tourney.
I meet people online each day, who never heard anything about the Org, those people wont know anything we do here, this could be a way to ensure, they know whats going on, without to be very actice here.

Rahwana
04-15-2011, 20:30
and the shogun skins is somewhat too heavy to load compared to the guild skin

TinCow
04-15-2011, 21:28
and the shogun skins is somewhat too heavy to load compared to the guild skin

Yes, I agree. Looking at the style, it uses a lot of images instead of simple colors, and some of the image files are rather large. That's probably slowing it down. I'll go in and optimize the images and see if that can speed it up without losing visual quality.

Kagemusha
04-15-2011, 21:34

TinCow
04-15-2011, 21:52
Ok, I converted the images to jpg from png and did a TINY amount of compression on them (2% on the background and about 10% on the rest). That's cut the total file sizes down to about 1/4 their previous size without any quality difference I can tell. That should improve it at least a bit.

PershsNhpios
04-17-2011, 09:45
This is very minor, and perhaps unnecessary, but the first issue which springs to mind in using the forums (Especially as a new member).

Is there a reason why forums such as the MTW Singleplayer need to include an empty, unused 'Singleplayer' forum with the 'Main Hall' (Which is the real singleplayer forum) as a sub-forum to that?

Surely, new members will not all realise that the Main Hall (And I use the MTW fora as an example, this setup is also elsewhere) is the Singleplayer discussion, but this can't this be remedied with a subtitle or annotation (e.g. 'Main Hall - Singleplayer')?

I realise that other fora such as ETW and NTW are merged equals and so require this system, but new members clicking on MTW Singleplayer are currently met with the vast, empty void, and must search for the more obscure 'Main Hall' title beyond this.

It's all about convenience and first impressions - and titles such as the Main Hall lead members (Especially those dedicated to one area) to become a family of their own within the Org. It shouldn't be known that there is just a Singleplayer MTW discussion on the Org, people should rather acknowledge 'The Main Hall of the Org' as a sanctuary of our favourite passtime.

-------------

I am also completely against the idea of removing AARs to an AAR sub-forum or separate forum.

I would rather see AAR sub-forums dedicated to each game, but I strongly disapprove of the current wash of different, stagnant and unsorted AARs in that dedicated forum.

AARs are one of the most invigorating parts of membership participation - the most attempted, the most unique and enthusiastic. They have revived the Main Hall many times and they will often be all that remains of some otherwise dead fora. See the EB forum for an example of this - that area still thrives because it has an AAR sub-forum all on it's own.

AARs should be kept close to the source - as close as possible.

Zim
04-17-2011, 11:12
I always thought EB having its own aar forum was kind of a bad thing. Such a marvelous mod (in general and for AARs) but the stories that could have been a showcase for it were buried in the mod forum where they'd be hard to find for anyone that didn't already play it...

Paradox forums have separate AR forums for each game, and it works very well when you're interested in one in particular (or learning about a new one). But they also have a very high volume of new stories. I wonder if it might not be even worse having a dozen AAR forums with one or two stories each (at least one of which is defunct) than just one forum with a dozen stories.

gollum
04-17-2011, 12:27
Dear org staff:
Glenn is absolutely right. Keep the AARs as close to the source as possible. What he describes has been true not only for EB and teh Main Hall, but also for the Sword Dojo that was experiencing various revivals over time due to the AARs that were contagious in both getting the interest back to fans of the game and to others to try their hand at an AAR. I'm pretty sure that similar things apply for RTW, M2 and Empire.

The org instituted the TreasAARy in late 2009 if memory serves. Till then there was no specialised AARs forum for quite a while. I know because, among other people, i asked for it back in early 2009.

Once the TreasAARy was set up, an array of popular AARs was moved from the Sword Dojo to the treasAARy, and, nearly on the spot, both died out - the sword dojo and the treasAARy - a check mate move.

Having a specilised AARs forum forevery AAR is a good idea if that had caught on and if the forum has enthusiastic en masse SPers to write AARs. Those are NOT the cases for the org at this point in time.

Community building in the respective subfora needs to be given priority - let people in the respective sub-fora organise their stuff as they think is best and have a flexible approach, and in that context, having AARs in subfora as well as the treasAARY is the best way forward. Trying to force everything to the treasAARy will not work imo, and there is considerable evidence from past experiences to this.

I would insist in particular leaving the EB people to organise their community as they see fit rather than trying to "fit them" to general org organisational schemes. Comparing the paradox forums is apples and penciles; org conditions are not even remotely related to what the paradox fanbase and games are. Paradox games have a very specific context and attract a very specific fanbase. The org and its members are far more pluralistic than that in their relationship they have to TW. Its best to play on ALL of org strengths rather than standardise which is a good move when you have a large mass of people interested in the same thing.

Regards

Monk
04-17-2011, 12:46
Dear org staff:
Glenn is absolutely right. Keep the AARs as close to the source as possible. What he describes has been true not only for EB and teh Main Hall, but also for the Sword Dojo that was experiencing various revivals over time due to the AARs that were contagious in both getting the interest back to fans of the game and to others to try their hand at an AAR. I'm pretty sure that similar things apply for RTW, M2 and Empire.

The org instituted the TreasAARy in late 2009 if memory serves. Till then there was no specialised AARs forum for quite a while. I know because, among other people, i asked for it back in early 2009.

Once the TreasAARy was set up, an array of popular AARs was moved from the Sword Dojo to the treasAARy, and, nearly on the spot, both died out - the sword dojo and the treasAARy - a check mate move.

The forum designated for AARs was the Throne Room, but you're more or less right. The traditional PBM style had always brought with it campaign stories and a general narrative. One person stops, another begins all in the same thread. It was a lot of fun taking part in those.

By 2009 the Throne Room had moved more toward hotseats and TWRPG style games. Much different in style, and if i recall, there was genuine confusion on where to put normal style AAR. So people were just putting them wherever.

I truly believed if we had a dedicated forum for AAR's that it could serve as a "one spot for everything." Even if you were interested in Shogun 1, you might see an MTW AAR after you finished reading a shogun story, get interested and read that. The traffic the treasaary gets is an indication that things haven't gone as well as we wanted. It really fills me with sadness to see that project less than successful.

Comparing the paradox forums is apples and penciles; org conditions are not even remotely related to what the paradox fanbase and games are. Paradox games have a very specific context and attract a very specific fanbase. The org and its members are far more pluralistic than that in their relationship they have to TW. Its best to play on ALL of org strengths rather than standardise which is a good move when you have a large mass of people interested in the same thing.

Yes i believe that was Zim's original intent, what works for them isn't going to work for us for a variety of reasons. I am unsure of how to proceed to be truthful. Do we scrap the Treasaary? Put it in the Attic? Encourage the posting of AAR's in the relavent game's 'parent' directories? Much more input's needed.

I believe there's a popular thread in the Main Hall: Pics & History of your Empire. I made a similiar thread for the citadel and it got quite the reaction if i recall. Perhaps that 'structure' could be used for Shogun 2 and encouraged elsewhere?

gollum
04-17-2011, 13:11
Originally posted by Monk
I truly believed if we had a dedicated forum for AAR's that it could serve as a "one spot for everything." Even if you were interested in Shogun 1, you might see an MTW AAR after you finished reading a shogun story, get interested and read that.

i don't think that this is how it works in reality because most players coalesce around a game they prefer -at least for long periods before they go to explore another for good. Some like MTW but can't stand RTW and the other way around, and this can happen with various installments of TW (even STW and MTW or RTW and M2 etc).
If you keep the AARs in the respective subfora however its success guaranteed. People only need a spark to come back to the game and a good AAR often is that spark - i mean we've seen it so many times in the Main Hall and the Sword Dojo by now. If its running in the main SP forum for the respective TW game then its on the money - like the post your empire thread in the main hall - a small sub community forms and that small sub community can generate lots of content and bring new people in pretty quickly.

The traffic the treasaary gets is an indication that things haven't gone as well as we wanted. It really fills me with sadness to see that project less than successful.

Some people try to write AARs in the treasaary like RTW AARs but they get far less attention than they would get in the Collosseum. All in all the treasaary is a good thing to have and there is no need to blame yourself - setting it up is a plus and nobody says that it will stay unpopular for ever.

I am unsure of how to proceed to be truthful. Do we scrap the Treasaary? Put it in the Attic? Encourage the posting of AAR's in the relavent game's 'parent' directories?

Its simple imo: keep both. Let people decide where they post their AARs, while make it clear that having them in the SP main forums for each games is ok and even desirable (encourage it). Proceed flexibly and see how things develop, and then can put yourenergy where the action is at. As much as i predict that this will be in SP fora, i also akcnowledge the need for a dedicated AAR forum. Keep the treasAARy by all means, but puch forward AARs in SP; they boost participation and community building considerably.

Regards

caravel
04-17-2011, 13:12
I would like to second everything posted by gollum and Glenn, AARs in particular really need to stay in their own subforums, i.e. the Main Hall, Sword Dojo, Colosseum, etc. Having them in a separate forum is counter intuitive.

I would also like to see these "Single Player" and "Multiplayer" forums done away with as they make those forums much less visible and are actually to all intents and purposes quite pointless.

Andres
04-17-2011, 18:12
Why can't we have both?

AAR's in the SP subforum of the game they're based on AND a copy of the AAR in the TreasAARy? That way, the AAR gets the attention it deserves during the "hot" period of a new game and it will be easily available later on, for people who like reading AAR's but don't want to go through the hassle of looking for them all over the fora (assuming this possible, of course).

gollum
04-17-2011, 18:17
Originally posted by Andres
Why can't we have both? AAR's in the SP subforum of the game they're based on AND a copy of the AAR in the TreasAARy?

Nonwithstanding any potential admin issues (server space etc) that i can't know of, that would be ideal imo.

edyzmedieval
04-17-2011, 20:01
Why can't we have both?

AAR's in the SP subforum of the game they're based on AND a copy of the AAR in the TreasAARy? That way, the AAR gets the attention it deserves during the "hot" period of a new game and it will be easily available later on, for people who like reading AAR's but don't want to go through the hassle of looking for them all over the fora (assuming this possible, of course).

I second this idea, I find it useful especially for the new members. :yes:

TinCow
04-17-2011, 21:24
Nonwithstanding any potential admin issues (server space etc) that i can't know of, that would be ideal imo.

The Org is a macho-sever. We have unlimited storage space and unlimited bandwidth. We laugh at puny servers who have limits. Org knows no limits!

Populus Romanus
04-17-2011, 22:42
I think we should rename the tavern. I know that it took me forever to find the off topic forum here. Indeed, it was not until I read in the EB forum that the tavern was the off topic forum that ever found it. New members doubtlessly will have the exact same issue. The tavern should be renamed to something that is more indicative ofnits purpose.

Kocmoc
04-18-2011, 00:27
The Steam-feature is really really great, well done guys!
That was highly needed and will make many things a lot easier in the future!

One question, if you can add single player with the "playernumber-ID", how about steamgroups? I saw it at frontpage, that you got the: totalwar.org grp somehow in.
It might be a good idea to create a "clan-page" where you could add different steam-clan-gps.

PershsNhpios
04-18-2011, 03:00
Thank you brother Gollum and brother Nagamasa, you have said all that need be said.

I agree entirely with Andres - if the staff can afford to spend time organising and adding to the TreasAARy, then it will be a fine tribute to the continued creative output of all authors within all games if a copy of each AAR created should be posted within the TreasAARy. I think that this responsibility should rest with the staff however as not all authors will follow such protocol, and again, some will be too humble to think their work worthy of the place.
The question of whether to place individual sub-fora for AARs within game fora however must remain individual for each game. I believe it was brother Caravel or perhaps brother bamff who first decided to remove the AARs of bamff and myself outside the 'Pics & History' thread into the Main Hall with threads of their own, and this has worked wonders. Authors with a more extensive work post in the Hall, those who just want to share campaigns more informally post in the stickied thread.

This would not have worked with EB in its time, as nearly two pages would have been filled with active AARs.

And let me add - if the main reason the Main Hall has survived is the AAR, then it is because unlike in the RTW forum, if a brother wishes to play XL, MedMod, PMTW, HTW, ATW, NTW or Caravel Mod, it does not matter, his AAR will still be found in the Main Hall. In the RTW forum, an AAR will most likely be in a modded game, and therefore in the mod forum. The few AARs which are created in vanilla go into the TreasAARy, and thus the Colosseum is bled dry. Imagine if all those many mods including EB had their AARs published in the Colosseum or a sub-forum there. That is the secret to the Main Hall's longevity.

Now if all viruses (viri?) have been cleaned from this computer, perhaps I can get on with some of this writing today instead of just writing about writing!

---------------

And what do the staff say regarding the first point I made - that is - regarding the confusing system of empty forums leading into the main discussion fora (Which are actually subfora)?

TinCow
04-18-2011, 04:19
And what do the staff say regarding the first point I made - that is - regarding the confusing system of empty forums leading into the main discussion fora (Which are actually subfora)?

I'm not convinced by this. The SP/MP categories cannot possible be more clearly marked than they are. Yes, it does require an extra click to get to the actual discussion forum if you click on the category forum itself, but removing the category means promoting the discussion forum up to the top level. In order to prevent confusion, that would then require us to rename the discussion forums to something descriptive like 'Single Player' or 'Multiplayer.' It's Org tradition to give interesting and thematic names to the forums, and it would be a real shame to lose that. It would be the equivalent of the Org losing part of its soul. Plus, this system never caused problems when the Org was more active. The extra click required the first time someone visits the forums (after the first time, they will know where to go from the index) doesn't make the difference between gaining a regular user and losing one. That is decided by the quality of the content and services provided by the Org as a whole.

We are very keen on improving the Org and growing the active user base, but that does not mean we should throw away that which makes the Org unique in the process.

PershsNhpios
04-18-2011, 05:33
I never meant - as was shown in my first post - to dispose of such names as the Main Hall or the Colosseum. My idea was just the opposite rather, to do away with 'Singleplayer' and 'Multiplayer' empty fora and if necessary suffix 'Singleplayer' to the Main Hall - but in any case to promote the Main Hall to the top level.

I think that we want the same thing here.

caravel
04-18-2011, 08:45
I'm not convinced by this. The SP/MP categories cannot possible be more clearly marked than they are. Yes, it does require an extra click to get to the actual discussion forum if you click on the category forum itself, but removing the category means promoting the discussion forum up to the top level. In order to prevent confusion, that would then require us to rename the discussion forums to something descriptive like 'Single Player' or 'Multiplayer.' It's Org tradition to give interesting and thematic names to the forums, and it would be a real shame to lose that. It would be the equivalent of the Org losing part of its soul.
The Main Hall was not always under the "Single Player" forum, it used to be out in the open like the Sword Dojo still is. This was only changed a few years ago when the AAR links were added. This caused quite a few of us to get our knickers in a twist and I'm sure that at the time Martok asked Tosa about changing it back, but not sure what came of that.

If the Main Hall were on the top level, this arguably may cause some confusion, but on the other hand it's description would also be immediately visible:

Forum for discussion on the single-player aspect of Medieval Total War and the exansion pack: Viking Invasion.

The "interesting and thematic name" would also be much more visible. IMHO it can only be a good thing and will increase the visibility of the fora and remove the "generic" look that the single/multiplayer forums create.

therother
04-18-2011, 09:54
We are looking into ways of customising the forum index, which might well side step this issue.

Monk
04-18-2011, 11:33
Thank you brother Gollum and brother Nagamasa, you have said all that need be said.

I agree entirely with Andres - if the staff can afford to spend time organising and adding to the TreasAARy, then it will be a fine tribute to the continued creative output of all authors within all games if a copy of each AAR created should be posted within the TreasAARy. I think that this responsibility should rest with the staff however as not all authors will follow such protocol, and again, some will be too humble to think their work worthy of the place.
The question of whether to place individual sub-fora for AARs within game fora however must remain individual for each game. I believe it was brother Caravel or perhaps brother bamff who first decided to remove the AARs of bamff and myself outside the 'Pics & History' thread into the Main Hall with threads of their own, and this has worked wonders. Authors with a more extensive work post in the Hall, those who just want to share campaigns more informally post in the stickied thread.

This would not have worked with EB in its time, as nearly two pages would have been filled with active AARs.

And let me add - if the main reason the Main Hall has survived is the AAR, then it is because unlike in the RTW forum, if a brother wishes to play XL, MedMod, PMTW, HTW, ATW, NTW or Caravel Mod, it does not matter, his AAR will still be found in the Main Hall. In the RTW forum, an AAR will most likely be in a modded game, and therefore in the mod forum. The few AARs which are created in vanilla go into the TreasAARy, and thus the Colosseum is bled dry. Imagine if all those many mods including EB had their AARs published in the Colosseum or a sub-forum there. That is the secret to the Main Hall's longevity.

Now if all viruses (viri?) have been cleaned from this computer, perhaps I can get on with some of this writing today instead of just writing about writing!

---------------

I'd like you guys to know we're taking your suggestions to heart. You guys made some good points and I have to admit the current system just isn't ideal for our current situation. :bow:

Zim and phonicsmonkey have been doing a "duel to the death" TWS2 MP campaign for a while now, and they're posting their updates both in the Throne Room and in the Tea House.

In this same spirit, I've also began posting an AAR in the Tea house, with a copy being co-posted in the TreasAARy. I feel this will be the best of both worlds, utilizing the TreasAARy as the ONE place to go for everything, while still allowing people to post their campaign stuff in the "hot" forums. Still thinking of ways to "get the word out," but I just thought you guys would be interested to know we are listening, very much so. :2thumbsup:

TinCow
04-18-2011, 12:09
If the Main Hall were on the top level, this arguably may cause some confusion, but on the other hand it's description would also be immediately visible:

Hmm... I had forgotten about the descriptions. I didn't like the idea of changing the name to something like Tea House (Single Player), but the description is indeed visible for the top level. Do you really think that would be enough to allay any confusion?

caravel
04-18-2011, 12:41
Hmm... I had forgotten about the descriptions. I didn't like the idea of changing the name to something like Tea House (Single Player), but the description is indeed visible for the top level. Do you really think that would be enough to allay any confusion?
I think so, it works for the Sword Dojo, but if needed the text size of the description could be increased and the description reworded to make it more obvious, e.g.

Single Player discussion forum for Medieval Total War and the exansion pack: Viking Invasion.

//edit: the Sword Dojo description could use updating as well.

Discussion about the current playable version of STW (also includes Warlord Edition and the Mongol Invasion expansion pack); including strategy, tactics, and tips.

e.g.

Single Player discussion forum for Shogun Total War (also includes Warlord Edition, Mongol Invasion and Gold Edition).

//edit:

The Colloseum's description is pretty desperate and the same applies to that regarding visibility.

drone
04-18-2011, 12:44
First off: I did not put the guys up to this. ~D

For the older titles (STW/MTW), the traffic is low enough that I think AARs in the main SP forum help to add traffic and conversation of the game as a whole. From a technical standpoint, is there a way to link threads, as opposed to linking forums? So we could have an AAR forum, and the mods could tag the AAR threads and have them show in the TreasAARy?

PershsNhpios
04-18-2011, 12:48
Thank you Monk, it was your enthusiasm which inspired me to take the time to post what I thought would benefit the Org here.
If you wish, I can start posting whatever AARs I begin in the TreasAARy also, and the staff have my permission (If that is necessary) to copy the 'Purpled Edge', 'Ireland My Sireland' and 'Memorabiliae Regnorum Caravelis' (to be found in the Main Hall) in that forum.
I have played the next installments of both 'current' (Haven't been updated for two months! Gargh!) AARs and there is little reason why these will not appear soon, so they can still be counted active.

---

If all generic titles such as Singleplayer were removed from the main titles within the forum and restricted to descriptions, with forum titles for MTW etc remaining to guide the interest of members, then I believe the unique properties of the Org would be much enhanced. People will read the descriptions if lost, and very quickly find their way.

I don't think there will be any confusion, since people generally realise that there will be two main fora within a game's area (One for SP, other for MP) and I only suggested a title such as 'Main Hall - Singleplayer' if it was absolutely essential to keep 'Singleplayer' within the main title.

Thank you for your interest, TinCow.

Monk
04-18-2011, 13:01
Thank you Monk, it was your enthusiasm which inspired me to take the time to post what I thought would benefit the Org here.

If you wish, I can start posting whatever AARs I begin in the TreasAARy also, and the staff have my permission (If that is necessary) to copy the 'Purpled Edge', 'Ireland My Sireland' and 'Memorabiliae Regnorum Caravelis' (to be found in the Main Hall) in that forum.
I have played the next installments of both 'current' (Haven't been updated for two months! Gargh!) AARs and there is little reason why these will not appear soon, so they can still be counted active

I'm unsure on how we'll proceed, it needs more input from my other blues before I'm happy with anything. For now though please feel free to create copies of what you post in the Main Hall in the TreasAARy, as this provides a good short-term compromise, and possible long-term solution, until we have a chance to put our heads together.

GeneralHankerchief
04-18-2011, 19:35
The Science and Graveyard of Empire subforums, in the Frontroom and Backroom respectively, are doing nothing more than taking up space. Perhaps they could be relegated to the Attic.

TinCow
04-18-2011, 20:27
1. When trying to find a person's posts in a specific thread, by clicking on the number of posts in that thread from the sub-forum the thread is in, I can get the number of posts and by whom, but when I click on their number across from their name, it does not consistently return a search of just their posts in just that thread. Often times it returns all their posts. That search function has been broken for.... almost a year now. For me, anyway.

Can someone please confirm if this problem still exists? I cannot replicate it myself, that search function appears to work fine when I test it.

Scienter
04-18-2011, 21:14
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'd love to be able to upload my own avatar.

drone
04-18-2011, 22:18
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'd love to be able to upload my own avatar.
You can upload a profile picture, which can be seen in your posts by those that turn on that particular option. The Dude abides. :yes:

To set it, Settings->Edit Profile Picture
To see them, Settings->GeneralSetting: Display Profile Picture in Forum Posts->On

Scienter
04-19-2011, 03:22
You can upload a profile picture, which can be seen in your posts by those that turn on that particular option. The Dude abides. :yes:

To set it, Settings->Edit Profile Picture
To see them, Settings->GeneralSetting: Display Profile Picture in Forum Posts->On

Thanks! I didn't know I could do that. I felt naked without my hypnotoad avatar.

caravel
04-19-2011, 08:25
Can someone please confirm if this problem still exists? I cannot replicate it myself, that search function appears to work fine when I test it.
Tested on random threads in the watchtower, main hall and frontroom, cannot reproduce.

Specifics would be good, i.e. what forum is it happening in and which thread and member?

edyzmedieval
04-19-2011, 14:44
I was wondering whether we could make a sort of University or an article library just like the TWC has, this is a very good idea of content generation and availability.

TinCow
04-19-2011, 21:54
This is very minor, and perhaps unnecessary, but the first issue which springs to mind in using the forums (Especially as a new member).

Is there a reason why forums such as the MTW Singleplayer need to include an empty, unused 'Singleplayer' forum with the 'Main Hall' (Which is the real singleplayer forum) as a sub-forum to that?

Surely, new members will not all realise that the Main Hall (And I use the MTW fora as an example, this setup is also elsewhere) is the Singleplayer discussion, but this can't this be remedied with a subtitle or annotation (e.g. 'Main Hall - Singleplayer')?

I realise that other fora such as ETW and NTW are merged equals and so require this system, but new members clicking on MTW Singleplayer are currently met with the vast, empty void, and must search for the more obscure 'Main Hall' title beyond this.

It's all about convenience and first impressions - and titles such as the Main Hall lead members (Especially those dedicated to one area) to become a family of their own within the Org. It shouldn't be known that there is just a Singleplayer MTW discussion on the Org, people should rather acknowledge 'The Main Hall of the Org' as a sanctuary of our favourite passtime.

I would also like to see these "Single Player" and "Multiplayer" forums done away with as they make those forums much less visible and are actually to all intents and purposes quite pointless.

Implemented

caravel
04-20-2011, 08:16
Implemented
A huge improvement, very well done.

Askthepizzaguy
04-20-2011, 08:22

This problem appears to have been fixed now that I've checked. Wasn't working for me for the longest time. Will report if it happens again.

Ibn-Khaldun
04-23-2011, 07:08
Shouldn't the Content Managers give up their positions as Moderators to other people?
I have no problems if a CM is also a regular moderator in a forum/subforum. However, I thought that the position of CM was created so that they could create new content/tournaments/etc and wouldn't have to bother themselves doing the everyday job of a Moderator.

PershsNhpios
04-23-2011, 09:12
Well done, TC and the Staff!

Our cultural titles now have the attention they deserve!

Thank you very much for your consideration of all suggestions (I have been watching the thread with interest)!

This calls for a toast!

Motep
04-24-2011, 05:32
Shouldn't the Content Managers give up their positions as Moderators to other people?
I have no problems if a CM is also a regular moderator in a forum/subforum. However, I thought that the position of CM was created so that they could create new content/tournaments/etc and wouldn't have to bother themselves doing the everyday job of a Moderator.

This way they can moderate when they get bored, I would think

Monk
04-24-2011, 10:50
Content managers do not hand out infractions or 'moderate' members. When Ibn-Khaldun's post was initially made, Kagemusha had just volunteered to be switched from Moderator to Content Manager. The admins had not had a chance to remove him from the active moderator list. econ21 has since taken Kage's place in the Tea House.

Ibn-Khaldun
04-29-2011, 13:49
Perhaps it's possible to create more categories for the community groups? Currently they are all listed as "uncategorized". The same thing goes for the blogs.

therother
04-29-2011, 13:53
Good suggestion. What categories would we like to have?

Ibn-Khaldun
04-29-2011, 14:01
The first ones that I came up with were History, Politics, Games, Fun.

therother
04-29-2011, 14:07
Thanks, have added those to the groups categories.

Kocmoc
05-02-2011, 13:49
Maybe I cant find it, but I got no option where I can edit my Blog-entries.

If there is somewhere a button, someone please make me a screen, I really cant find it.

therother
05-02-2011, 14:12
There may be other ways, but if you go to your Blog home, ie https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/blog.php?4141-Kocmoc and hover over the title you should see a pencil icon appear just to the right of the title. Clicking this should allow you to edit the blog post.

Kocmoc
05-02-2011, 14:31
There may be other ways, but if you go to your Blog home, ie https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/blog.php?4141-Kocmoc and hover over the title you should see a pencil icon appear just to the right of the title. Clicking this should allow you to edit the blog post.

Ha! Thanks a lot, I did search like mad for this.

Knowledge is anything and asking doesnt hurt.

therother
05-02-2011, 14:32
Yes, it's not the most user friendly of systems...

GeneralHankerchief
05-17-2011, 20:14
In Firefox, when making a new post, there is an option to bold/italicize/underline text by going straight to the traditional keyboard commands (ctrl-B, etc.) instead of manually clicking it on the post options. Is there any way to enable this feature for users on Chrome?

TinCow
05-17-2011, 20:24
In Firefox, when making a new post, there is an option to bold/italicize/underline text by going straight to the traditional keyboard commands (ctrl-B, etc.) instead of manually clicking it on the post options. Is there any way to enable this feature for users on Chrome?

That's a browser feature, not a forum feature. AFAIK, it should work on Chrome just as well as it works on Firefox and IE.

GeneralHankerchief
05-17-2011, 20:28
That's a browser feature, not a forum feature. AFAIK, it should work on Chrome just as well as it works on Firefox and IE.

Gah, I was afraid of that. I'll look into seeing if can be enabled for Chrome - hopefully it's something as easy as clicking a box.

GeneralHankerchief
05-17-2011, 20:38
FWIW, apparently not (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=480d9a02ed4e7775&hl=en). Ah well.

(Just posting this here in the off chance that it might help out somebody besides me.)

Beskar
05-18-2011, 02:42
I saw that animated avatars were not allowed, that intentional? I understand about file-sizes but some simple animations are smaller in size than some peoples user-choice ones.

Tellos Athenaios
05-18-2011, 06:53
I hope it stays that way. Have you ever seen an animated avatar that was genuinely better than a normal picture?

caravel
05-18-2011, 12:28
Personally I have no objection to animated avatars. We have animated smilies and users can post animated gifs in their signatures. File size is the crucial thing. If someone's animated gif avatar amounts to scene from a feature film, that's not good for those waiting for the page to load, same goes for signature images.

The current avatar policy is much too restrictive and as I've said before I think it harms perceptions of the org. Allowing users to upload their own avatar (not the profile picture thing) that can be seen by guests, would be a good thing and will make the .org appear more open. Restrictions should be on dimensions and file size and the same rules that apply to any image, whether posted or displayed in the signature should apply.

:2cents::bow:

Beskar
05-18-2011, 14:44
There are restrictions on the file size or no feature film .gif's would ever be appearing soon.

Have you ever seen an animated avatar that was genuinely better than a normal picture?

I have seen a few, including some very clever ones.

Motep
05-18-2011, 23:07
I say no to the animated avatars. I am too distractable, and where they appear I usually wind up staring at them for a good while instead of enjoying the content on the threads right next to them.

I have seen some awesome ones, though, and there is one that will always stick with me. (http://www.esnips.com/doc/ecc97608-9c65-4ea7-a97b-85edd8eb86ee/cid%20banana)

I remember the above being a little more entertaining.

Ibn-Khaldun
05-22-2011, 13:06
Don't know if someone have already reported this but on my profile page I have the "Awards" link both in the top and in the bottom of the page.

https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh311/ibnkhaldun/stuff/awards.jpg

TinCow
05-22-2011, 16:31
Thanks for spotting that, I'll see what I can do to fix it.

TinCow
05-23-2011, 13:45
Don't know if someone have already reported this but on my profile page I have the "Awards" link both in the top and in the bottom of the page.

https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh311/ibnkhaldun/stuff/awards.jpg

The problem has been fixed.

classical_hero
05-26-2011, 18:19
WE need to change the skin colour for the NTW skin. A few problems that I have with this skin is that some colours clash quite badly withe skin. It is near impossible to wrk out who are the moderators on this skin, since the green used does not work well with the skin. I also had a look at other features and they do need work to make it look neater and easier on my eyes, which is why I am using a Blue skin. I feel that lighter shades of blue would be better than what is being used right now.

TinCow
05-26-2011, 18:55
WE need to change the skin colour for the NTW skin. A few problems that I have with this skin is that some colours clash quite badly withe skin. It is near impossible to wrk out who are the moderators on this skin, since the green used does not work well with the skin. I also had a look at other features and they do need work to make it look neater and easier on my eyes, which is why I am using a Blue skin. I feel that lighter shades of blue would be better than what is being used right now.

We're relatively short on staff members who have enough artistic talent to work on skins, and those we do have are focusing on a new skin for TWS2. Even though it is not yet finished, the new skin is, in my personal opinion, vastly superior to every other skin the Org has ever had. I think a lot of people will want to use it once it is released. I know I will, and I've been using the same skin (The Guild) for 7 years now. Until the new skin is done, I don't think we have the manpower to fix up the old ones. If a non-staff member is interested in taking on this project, we could provide the necessary access to allow that to be possible.

Ibn-Khaldun
05-30-2011, 08:44
Just noticed something odd:
https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh311/ibnkhaldun/stuff/tooltip1.jpg

TinCow
05-30-2011, 13:46
Yes, that's a known bug with the mod that colorizes the names. It's on my list of things to fix, though it will require me to do some php coding which I have little experience with, so it may not get fixed soon.

Arthur, king of the Britons
05-30-2011, 16:05
Hello, I have a problem with editing the name of a user group I'm leader of, or rather the option to change the name of the group is currently absent. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/group.php?groupid=157

https://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/KingoftheBritons/namnls.png

Yeah, yeah blurry picture...

:help:

:bow: In advance.

/E

TinCow
05-30-2011, 18:45
There is no automated method to change the name, but I can do it manually. What should the new name be?

05-30-2011, 19:29
Please change it to Strategeion. Thanks in advance. :bow:

TinCow
05-30-2011, 21:31
Please change it to Strategeion. Thanks in advance. :bow:

Done

05-30-2011, 21:59
Done

Domo Arigato. :bow:

Populus Romanus
06-06-2011, 01:42
On the description of the Mead hall there is mention of "Guild members", this should be changed to "Org members" or "Orgahs".

therother
06-06-2011, 02:58
Thanks, I've changed it to "Org members".

Ibn-Khaldun
06-09-2011, 21:11
Have the PM boxes been made larger?
My inbox have about 250 messages and outbox about 220.
Last time I heard, senior member could have maximum of 400 PM's?
Not that I'm complaining. ~:)

TinCow
06-09-2011, 22:01
Current PM box limits are 500 for Members, 600 for Senior Members, and 20000 for Tech Admins. :grin:

scotchedpommes
08-10-2011, 12:38
Is there any way I can stop my forum view from reverting to the Mobile Site after switching to PC Mode? [Short of finding a working machine.]

It leaves PC Mode as soon as any link is used.

TinCow
08-10-2011, 13:30
Is there any way I can stop my forum view from reverting to the Mobile Site after switching to PC Mode? [Short of finding a working machine.]

It leaves PC Mode as soon as any link is used.

Are you posting from a mobile device?

scotchedpommes
08-10-2011, 14:17
Are you posting from a mobile device?Yes. In the past I'd been able to use the full site on such a device. The forced redirect is new to me.

Was hoping there'd be some way to disable it.

TinCow
08-10-2011, 14:18
Yes. In the past I'd been able to use the full site on such a device. The forced redirect is new to me. Was hoping there'd be some way to disable it.

I just changed a setting, try now.

scotchedpommes
08-10-2011, 14:27
I just changed a setting, try now.Thanks, it works fine now.

[Redirected me back to the full site as soon as I'd made that last post via the mobile version.]

TinCow
08-10-2011, 14:56
Thanks, it works fine now.

[Redirected me back to the full site as soon as I'd made that last post via the mobile version.]

To be clear, it's working fine now?

scotchedpommes
08-10-2011, 15:21
To be clear, it's working fine now?Yes. Posting this on the full site using a mobile device.

Togakure
09-11-2011, 04:45
Just wanted to mention that I'm noticing that a lot of minor interface annoyances have been addressed. Well done and thanks. The inconsistency of "Mark Forum Read" was really driving me crazy for a long while and seems to be consistent now.

Hamata
09-11-2011, 16:12
I'd like the ability to choose if I want to use a custom avatar or a TW avatar

Peasant Phill
09-11-2011, 18:36
I'd like the ability to choose if I want to use a custom avatar or a TW avatar
You can. But if you chose one of you can't see the other.

Hamata
09-12-2011, 05:05
I' meant like upload a image to your fourm avatar like the one you see with your posts

Secura
09-12-2011, 09:32
I' meant like upload a image to your fourm avatar like the one you see with your posts

Settings > General Settings > Thread Display Options > tick 'Display profile picture in forum posts'

I believe that's what you're looking for, though your custom image will only be visible to those who have ticked the box themselves, otherwise they'll see your current TW avatar instead.

Togakure
09-12-2011, 18:19
Just wanted to mention that I'm noticing that a lot of minor interface annoyances have been addressed. Well done and thanks. The inconsistency of "Mark Forum Read" was really driving me crazy for a long while and seems to be consistent now.
Heh ... just noticed that the Mark Forum Read doesn't seem to be working in this forum though. I select it and the threads remain unread, rather than change to read. I'm using the earth-tone skin if that makes a difference (I think it's galled "The Guild" but I'm not positive).

TinCow
09-12-2011, 18:41
Heh ... just noticed that the Mark Forum Read doesn't seem to be working in this forum though. I select it and the threads remain unread, rather than change to read. I'm using the earth-tone skin if that makes a difference (I think it's galled "The Guild" but I'm not positive).

As noted previously (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?134347-Org-Issues-and-Improvements&p=2053289039&viewfull=1#post2053289039), this is a bug with vBulletin which only occurs on forums with subfora. The forum is being marked read for you, but the page is not refreshing. If you hit refresh, the forum will properly display as 'marked.' As this is a vBulletin bug, there is nothing I can do about it until the software is patched. vBulletin have been aware of the bug for a year and a half, but have not yet fixed it so I wouldn't hold my breath for a resolution anytime soon.

Togakure
09-12-2011, 19:02
As noted previously (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?134347-Org-Issues-and-Improvements&p=2053289039&viewfull=1#post2053289039), this is a bug with vBulletin which only occurs on forums with subfora. The forum is being marked read for you, but the page is not refreshing. If you hit refresh, the forum will properly display as 'marked.' As this is a vBulletin bug, there is nothing I can do about it until the software is patched. vBulletin have been aware of the bug for a year and a half, but have not yet fixed it so I wouldn't hold my breath for a resolution anytime soon.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten. Sorry to have wasted more of your time.

TinCow
09-12-2011, 19:07
Ah yes, I'd forgotten. Sorry to have wasted more of your time.

No need to apologize, I had actually forgotten about it. When you posted I went back over to vBulletin to see if they had patched it since April. My optimistic enthusiasm was not rewarded. :wall:

Csargo
02-09-2012, 21:31
Under my profile and contacts I can't seem to add my Steam account to it. I'm not sure why it won't work. I could add my msn account, so I don't know if it's me doing something wrong or not.

TinCow
02-09-2012, 22:20
Under my profile and contacts I can't seem to add my Steam account to it. I'm not sure why it won't work. I could add my msn account, so I don't know if it's me doing something wrong or not.

Are you using the right Steam account info? Many people try and use their Steam name instead of their profile. Profiles are always numbers, unless you've changed it manually, which most haven't. See this post (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?134807-Connect-your-Steam-account-to-your-Org-profile%21&p=2053297633&viewfull=1#post2053297633) for more details.

Csargo
02-09-2012, 22:27
Yeah that's it. I didn't realize there was profile numbers. Thanks TinCow.

jirisys
03-05-2012, 05:00
My subscriptions (instant notification by email) aren't actually notifying me at all. I changed my email and rebuilt my subs, but I never get the emails at all.

~Jirisys ()

TinCow
03-05-2012, 14:40
My subscriptions (instant notification by email) aren't actually notifying me at all. I changed my email and rebuilt my subs, but I never get the emails at all.

~Jirisys ()

Have you checked your spam filter? We've been having issues with being marked as a spammer lately by several mail providers, including gmail, hotmail, and aol. You may need to whitelist us.

jirisys
03-05-2012, 14:52
Have you checked your spam filter? We've been having issues with being marked as a spammer lately by several mail providers, including gmail, hotmail, and aol. You may need to whitelist us.

gmail has the tendency to hide the Spam folder, didn't notice I had 13 there.

Thank you.

~Jirisys ()

Stazi
03-21-2012, 23:21
Someone should fix "Gallery (http://www.totalwar.org/gallery/index.php)" shortcut on the main page.

therother
03-22-2012, 03:11
Well you learn something new everyday... I wasn't aware we had a gallery there. Links now point to the forum gallery feature.

Tellos Athenaios
03-26-2012, 12:19
Maybe it's time to pull the HOF announcements? Trying to follow the link now only results in a page explaining that I don't have permission to view it and helpfully suggesting I log out to fix the issue... :inquisitive:

TinCow
03-26-2012, 13:02
I've changed the announcement end date so that it no longer appears.

Beskar
05-01-2012, 17:26
Warning: DOMDocument::load(http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198034640351?xml=1) [domdocument.load]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable in [path]/member.php(515) : eval()'d code on line 65

Warning: DOMDocument::load() [domdocument.load]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198034640351?xml=1" in [path]/member.php(515) : eval()'d code on line 65

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/member.php(515) : eval()'d code on line 67

Error I just got now from clicking "My profile"

TinCow
05-01-2012, 17:50
That's common. It occurs when Steam is down or otherwise slow to respond to the forum's request for your Steam ID info. The error goes away once Steam gets its act together. Usually it will go away if you refresh once or twice.

Beskar
05-01-2012, 17:53
That's no problem, was no biggy, just pasting it in here incase it needed your expertise.

Montmorency
06-07-2012, 05:26
How about increasing the PM cap? Has that been floated about yet?

Andres
06-07-2012, 09:33
How about increasing the PM cap? Has that been floated about yet?

Standard inbox should now be 1000 since May 31st. Is this not the case with your account?

Montmorency
06-08-2012, 00:52
Cool, didn't see that.

Feels like: Inbox III:Andres Edition.

Visor
06-08-2012, 01:03
Standard inbox should now be 1000 since May 31st. Is this not the case with your account?

Much love. :sweetheart:

Beskar
07-05-2012, 05:51
People who upload image attachments. They cannot be viewed at all, for example, this post:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?141897-Higgs-boson-Found&p=2053463359&viewfull=1#post2053463359

Been quite a few like that now.

jirisys
07-05-2012, 07:17
Could you please don't make the thread rating take the whole right side of the post of the entire post, it's better if it only takes the top, it won't disturb the layout.

Thank you :grin:

~Jirisys ()

TinCow
07-05-2012, 12:58
People who upload image attachments. They cannot be viewed at all, for example, this post:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?141897-Higgs-boson-Found&p=2053463359&viewfull=1#post2053463359

Is this still an issue? We cannot replicate the problem, all images display fine for us.

Could you please don't make the thread rating take the whole right side of the post of the entire post, it's better if it only takes the top, it won't disturb the layout.

Thank you :grin:

~Jirisys ()

Done (moved to bottom of first post, below the main text body, so no formatting issues with the main text.

Beskar
07-07-2012, 04:48
Is this still an issue? We cannot replicate the problem, all images display fine for us.

I see this:
https://i.imgur.com/CFj9d.jpg

When I click on the link..
https://i.imgur.com/txq66.jpg

Looks like I don't have the permissions, from what it appears.

TinCow
07-09-2012, 17:39

Tiaexz

Took me a while, but I think I fixed this. I believe this was a permission settings error which only occurred in the Backroom and, oddly enough, only impacted Moderators, CMs, and non-logged in viewers. It did not impact TAs, FAs, Members, or SMs, which is why it took me a while to figure it out. Please confirm that the problem is indeed gone in the Backroom. Also, please let me know if you experience it in any other forum. I don't think you should, as it was probably a setting left over from when the Backroom was locked down a bit, but keep your eyes peeled for it just in case.

Beskar
07-09-2012, 19:25
Yes, it is working for me now. At least in the backroom! If I see it elsewhere, I will bring it back up.

Visor
08-14-2012, 09:47
In the total war general forums, there is a sub forum, the apothecary. In that sub forum, there is another sub forum, also called the apothecary. Is that intentional, or...?

Visor
08-20-2012, 12:55
Is it possible to make the "who posted" section open up in a new tab rather then window?

therother
08-20-2012, 14:37
Right click the link and select Open in New Tab.

TinCow
08-20-2012, 15:18
In the total war general forums, there is a sub forum, the apothecary. In that sub forum, there is another sub forum, also called the apothecary. Is that intentional, or...?

It's intentional, but silly. It will be better organized later this week.

Visor
08-21-2012, 11:24
Right click the link and select Open in New Tab.

:laugh4:

I was asking in a "Is this possible way" rather then "can you do this"?

I do know that you can do the above, I just wondered whether it could be changed. (More of a curiosity thing.)

therother
08-21-2012, 11:31
Yes, it's possible.

Visor
10-19-2012, 00:52
Is it possible for mentions to send an email? (or at least have an option for that?)

TinCow
10-19-2012, 16:29
Is it possible for mentions to send an email? (or at least have an option for that?)

Unfortunately, that's beyond our abilities.

Lemur
10-29-2012, 05:36
Just like to state, for the record, that we will never be this cool:

https://i.imgur.com/597fV.png

InsaneApache
10-30-2012, 12:04
That seems a bit rash. Did someone egg them on?

johnhughthom
12-10-2012, 01:23
This is probably down to my browser, and not an issue with the org itself (in fact, it's not even an issue, more an oddity), but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Whenever I go through my history tab in Chrome and select the Org homepage, there are usually two listings saying 'The Org forums.totalwar.org' with different time stamps for each. One will bring you to the Org homepage, and one will just bring up a blank page. Is there a particular reason for this, never noticed it happening with any other website.

Like I say it's not even an issue, just seems odd, so I don't actually expect anyone to look into it. Unless they want to.... ~;)

TinCow
12-11-2012, 13:52
What's the URL for the blank page?

johnhughthom
12-12-2012, 12:40
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/private.php?do=insertpm&pmid=

Looks like it's related to pms.

TinCow
12-12-2012, 14:39
That is indeed a blank page. The URL looks like it's part of a form submission, which indicates that it's blank because the information for the form hasn't been saved along with the URL. It's not a bug or error, but there's no reason to have it in your history. I recommend just deleting that entry if it's confusing you.

caravel
12-12-2012, 15:04
That's odd when I visit that URL I see the Senior Members private pr0n stash....

No nothing there at all, must be an error - delete it and all will be well. ~:)

edse
12-14-2012, 17:04
I can't open spoilers on my phone when using the mobile skin. I can open spoilers at twc where there is no mobile skin. Is it my phone that's causing trouble or is there something wrong with the skin?

TinCow
12-14-2012, 23:24
What phone/OS are you using, and which skin? If it's the default mobile skin, I recommend trying to use Lightweight.

edse
12-15-2012, 10:00
Nokia Lumia 800 Windows Phone. I guess it is the default skin, I will try the other.

Edit: It works better yes, but it is uglier :D

TinCow
12-15-2012, 15:11
Does it happen on both spoiler and ex tags? For testing purposes:

Spoiler tag:
THIS IS A SPOILER

Ex tag:
THIS IS AN EXPANSION.

edse
12-15-2012, 17:24
Yes, I can't open either of them when using the default mobile skin (they both work in lightweight). I push the show button and it register it but it doesn't open the spoiler.

TinCow
12-15-2012, 19:23
Confirmed, this is an issue with vbulletin's default Mobile skin. I'll look for a way to fix this, but haven't found any solutions off-hand. I suspect the mobile skin simply disables javascript which would make a workaround difficult.

Tellos Athenaios
12-30-2012, 18:30
I am unable to edit my signature, using Opera (-next) or Firefox (18.0.0 ...!). Also unable to edit some posts (first post of the SD tool thread linked to in my signature).

What happens is, I click the edit button but the box with the VBulletin code remains empty -- or at least I am unable to *see* the code (could be a case of white text on white background or similar).

EDIT: Screenshot of the problem (with dragonfly open so you can see the HTML structure of the textbox):

https://img580.imageshack.us/img580/3840/snapshot1wj.png

TinCow
12-30-2012, 20:13
Confirmed. I suspect this is the result of some change our host made to the server. I shall look into it.

TinCow
12-31-2012, 16:21
I have fixed this problem (I think). The issue is that the server was recently upgraded to PHP 5.4, but vBulletin is not yet fully compatible with that version. Specifically, it has some issues with handling special characters due to issues with UTF-8. I made a change to the code which appears to have resolved the blank edit box issue, but it's entirely possible that there are more side-effects of the PHP upgrade out there that I have not yet noticed. I actually fixed another error last week that was also related to a UTF issue, and it occurs to me now that that one was probably also related to the PHP upgrade. So, please keep your eyes peeled for any oddities on the forum, particularly in any posts that contain non-standard characters.

Tellos Athenaios
12-31-2012, 20:45
Thanks, it seems to have done the trick.

Montmorency
01-15-2013, 01:56
Made a post in the Mead Hall. Most of it appeared in white space. Made another post. The portion in white space remained, though now it appeared beneath the newest post. See spoiler.

Using Guild skin. Chrome.

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr309/desertSypglass/2013-01-1419_53_50-TheNextTOAWDAR_AAR.png

Edit: Tried editing the post with no changes, and after saving everything returned to normal. I suppose that's that.

TinCow
01-15-2013, 14:07
I've experienced similar things when posting on occasion. I think it's some kind of Chrome-related issue. Refreshing the page fixes it.

Ibn-Khaldun
02-04-2013, 10:33
I just noticed that in the avatar selection section in my profile I can choose Mod, Admin, Custom, Mafia etc avatars as well. Is this intentional or a mistake?

For example I chose TinCows avatar.

Visor
02-04-2013, 11:29
And I'm a member of Creative Assembly.

TinCow
02-04-2013, 15:36
The King Visorslash

Thanks, I think I fixed the problem. I swapped both of your avatars to something default. Please check and let me know if you can still choose the categories that were intended to be disabled.

Visor
02-04-2013, 15:38
No, I can't access admin/mod/CA avatars anymore, I imagine it would be the same for The King.

Ibn-Khaldun
02-04-2013, 23:27
Yes, it's the same for me.

TinCow
02-05-2013, 00:31
Great, thanks again guys. It's really helpful when people point out stuff like this since I'd never find it otherwise. :bow:

Kralizec
02-08-2013, 17:33
Clicking on Lemur thread about the 5th faction in the Rome2 forum yields this:

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I assumed that using the link in that message would have directed it to Andres and that I'm better of posting it here ~;)

EDIT: I can see it now, but now I'm using a different computer.

TinCow
02-08-2013, 22:04
If you experience it again, please let me know what browser it happens on.

TinCow
02-10-2013, 16:12
Kralizec, please see this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?143520-Thread-link-not-working).

Ishmael
04-05-2013, 22:56
A very minor issue, but I just noticed that timers don't show up on the 'Frontpage' skin (at least, not for me). Is it possible to change this?

TinCow
04-06-2013, 02:10
A very minor issue, but I just noticed that timers don't show up on the 'Frontpage' skin (at least, not for me). Is it possible to change this?

Fixed

jirisys
05-06-2013, 07:44
It seems you can read backroom topics without being logged in by just looking at the archive section of the forum.

I thought this might be a bug, or something unfixable.

~Jirisys ()

therother
05-06-2013, 10:59
That's intentional: the Backroom has been public for a while now.

Mouzafphaerre
05-08-2013, 21:12

Frontroom moderator Secura was last online 13 days ago. If I hadn't checked that I might think that my report was outright ignored and that Backroom content was now allowed in the Frontroom.

Going MIA is totally understandable, but it sounds reasonable to assign a supporting mod to the area, if possible.

Mouzafphaerre
05-10-2013, 03:50

​...it sounds reasonable to assign a supporting mod to the area, if possible.

I see Andres has assumed the role; thanks for taking my suggestion into consideration :bow:

Andres
05-10-2013, 21:54
It is a very hard job that should not be underestimated. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?43728-Babe-thread/page179)

:sweatdrop:

Mouzafphaerre
05-11-2013, 21:54

I feel for you! Wouldn't want to be in your position :rolleyes: <-- is lying :laugh4:

Husar
05-13-2013, 12:53
It is a very hard job that should not be underestimated. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?43728-Babe-thread/page179)

:sweatdrop:

I usually never go there, it's funny though how every post there was from drone and every Thanks was from you. :laugh4:

edse
04-08-2014, 17:02
Is "quick reply" broken or is it just me? I normally use advanced mode anyway but I can't quote since the quote never loads in the quick reply field.

therother
04-09-2014, 03:52
Works fine for me. Try clearing your browser's cache. Also, do you have any script blockers installed?

edse
04-09-2014, 06:46
Works fine for me. Try clearing your browser's cache. Also, do you have any script blockers installed?

Well, it works for me as well now :). Thanks anyway.

therother
04-09-2014, 19:45
Glad it's sorted.

Kival
04-10-2014, 16:09
Is it correct that you updated SSL so that the security problem due to the BUG in the older open SSL versions? According to https://lastpass.com/heartbleed/?h=forums.totalwar.org the .org might have been affected but should be safe now. Can you comment on it? I'd like to change my password but there's no point to it if you would still be affected by the BUG. Thank you!

therother
04-10-2014, 19:46
The forums don't use ssl of any type, so we are unaffected by this bug. I should point out that though that while your passwords are encrypted on the server there is no hardcore security on either the forums or the server. I would strongly suggest you don't reuse any important password for your org account, particularly if that account is associated with your Org email address.

Kival
04-11-2014, 12:18
Thank you for your information. I was indeed somewhat confused that lastpass mentioned the .org as possibly affected while I didn#t remember any use of a https protocol. But of course I could've forgotten it or might have missed something. I also appreciate your advice but I'm not using any passphrase more than once anyway.

Alcibiade
06-07-2014, 09:12
I like the new design !

Beskar
06-07-2014, 16:17
It is actually an oldish one. Just that it was never set as the default even though it is the R2TW themed one.

But I am glad you like it.

If you want to change, at the bottom of the forum whilst viewing the forum-index you can explore the choices easily.

Crandar
08-08-2015, 17:19
I'm browsing the forum on google/mozilla and I noticed that I can't watch YT videos on full-screen. That's an issue in the majority of the forums I visit, but not in all of them (e.g. not in twcenter).

Is it possible to improve it? It's a minor issue, of course, but in some cases, like watching TW trailers or historical videos, I'd think that it could be proven useful.

therother
08-08-2015, 21:55
Try now.