PDA

View Full Version : Clan Competition Strategy Discussion

Dionysus9
04-21-2011, 19:57
I've been enjoying the clan competition aspect of MP, where you move up or down tiers based on how many map areas you control. I've had some frustrations too (mostly the unbeatable mega clans with 100,000 members and MM issues) but this thread is intended to be a discussion of strategy for maximizing your chances to advance to a higher tier (or otherwise avoid relegation) so lets minimize negative discussion, please.

Since you get more clan influence points when you win a battle in a map area surrounded by other areas you already control, it makes sense to carve out a region of the map for your clan. It also makes sense to build up influence in all the border areas around the perimeter of your region, so that clans will have a harder time penetrating into your region (they wont get the bonus influence for controlling surrounding areas).

I've also thought it would be fabulous to ally with another clan and try and become the top two clans in your tier so you could advance. Has anyone been able to contact another clan in your tier and make an alliance? So far I haven't been able to reach anyone at the clans I've wanted to ally with. The "add friend" function in steam doesn't seem to recognize their Shogun 2 names. Am I doing something wrong?

Likewise, it makes sense not to start a war with the other top clan in your tier. If you two are warring over certain territories, it gives other clans a chance to edge in on the territories you aren't paying attention to. So in our group I've been trying not to pee on the big dog's leg.

Our clan footprint on S2 is pretty small right now-- 9 guys, and our competition in tier 4 is pretty equal.

Right now I'm favoring a strategy of sitting in about 3rd or 4th place and building up influence in our regional perimeter and a little in the interior of our region The idea is not to make yourself look like a contender until the end of the competition period, meanwhile building up a lot of influence in your region to make it very difficult for other clans to take away land. Then, in the last few days of the competition period start taking as many scattered map areas as you can to put you up into 2nd or 1st. your opponents wont be able to assault your home region and will instead be forced to try and take back the areas scattered around the map-- you can then fight for specific areas without any real risk to your homeland.

Anyway, thats the strategy I've come up with an I'm trying to employ so far. If you are facing a mega clan in your tier, the strategy differs somewhat. If you are facing relegation it differs also (forget trying to expand, just hold onto enough areas to avoid relegation).

I'm sure other folks have some good thoughts on this topic. Let's talk strategy.

Cecil XIX
04-22-2011, 01:00
Your insights make sense to me. To tell the truth, it seems unsporting that the the two strongest clans have every incentive to work together against the smaller clans. Perhaps CA should make it so that the #1 clan moves up two spaces?

Dionysus9
04-22-2011, 04:35
... or perhaps the 2nd and 3rd clans have an incentive to gang up on the biggest clan? Or maybe 3&4 will attack both 1 and 2?

Everyone has an incentive to cozy up to the biggest clan, if possible, but it can only take 1 ally with it to the next tier. It could make for some intrigue, like the game of Diplomacy-- but not if we can't talk to the other clans. So far I haven't seen any cooperation or alliances at all and I havent found a reliable way to contact the other clans in my tier.

But ultimately, if there are enough participants, the tiers are going to shake out into clan size. Tier 1 will be all the mega clans. Tier 2 will all be large clans and skilled medium-large clans, etc. We're in tier 4 right now and I don't feel like we're done moving up. I think tier 3 is gonna be tough for a clan with only 9 dudes playing-- but I'm looking forward to it.

Cecil XIX
04-22-2011, 05:50
It's true that everyone can create their own personal incentives, but the only incentive the game itself provides it the gain of moving up a tier and loss of moving down.

CanCritter
04-22-2011, 14:26
is no chance for the smaller clans to compete..they just get bowled over by larger clans re numbers and give up so in this essence this part of the game is f*****d to..big surprise

Dionysus9
04-22-2011, 17:57
Well like I said there is no doubt the big clans will all gravitate to tier 1. But that is okay, really, the fun is in the competition not just being rank 1 tier 1. Our little clan of 10 Shogun 2 players is neve going to be able to beat a 100+ member clan. But we've had to fight against them before as they wore moving up through our tier and it was a challenge to try and hold even a single province so that we could be #2 and move up with them.

Anyway, there is lots of fun to be had I think-- at least until we get locked into a tier we can't move up from. Right now we are in tier 4 and can still move up if we play our cards right.

If you and ichi go Hunter, that would make 12 of us. We'd be a shoe in for tier 3. Think about it Critt ;) you always have a place at Hunter castle:

http://clanhunter.informe.com/index.php

Magyar Khan
04-22-2011, 18:28
you both are right.... the basic idea of teh clan thing is "good" but how its worked out is "bad"

imagine clans could host their own campaign and invite others and the clans can only fight the invited ones and only wins count with a few more well worked out rules u have something we created 7 years ago ourself...

Kocmoc
04-22-2011, 18:42
Well, i want some real clancompetition, same we had with our own selfmade clancampaign.

Real movement-strategie, real challanges, where you can only attack maps next to your maps, where we can create allianzes and so on.
Right now the whole "competition" in this game is down to play more - gain more. You can lose 90% and still win.

Pointless, it has nothing to do with competition and people dont like it, as you can see everywhere. Its boring and has no long time fun.
The whole S2 game is a short term action, people get to lvl 10 and than suddently goes back to their previus game.

Marshall Louis-Nicolas Davout
04-22-2011, 22:04
How do you create a clan?

To be honest,I like the idea,But I cant get stuck to it as I want to be.The clans you want to find,you cant find.And the ones that I join ,there's not much chat,there's nothing.The Clan UI is diffcult.

Maybe I'm not getting my head switched on,could someone help me out here,

Dionysus9
04-22-2011, 23:57
Well back in the old days we would just set up a forum somewhere like EZBoard or Informe, and then we'd call ourselves a clan and go from there. But in order to take part in the in-game Clan Competition I think you have to create the clan in Steam. Our steam clan was created by Hunter TomisamaRW, so he would definitely know how to do it.

Tomi?

Marshall Louis-Nicolas Davout
04-23-2011, 12:21
then you have to find clans,which takes hours!!!I wish they could put a search tab on

Dionysus9
04-25-2011, 19:51
Well it looks like the strategy paid off-- we advanced into Tier 3 by hanging back in 3rd and 4th place until the last day and then pushing hard to gain as much land as possible. Now we're in Tier 3 and its got at least 1 clan with 100+ members so its going to be very difficult to advance to tier 2.

t1master
04-25-2011, 21:02
reminds me of attacking uphill on san romano.

what was tomi's sig? glory is fleeting, honor is forever.

Dionysus9
04-25-2011, 22:00
Heh, yeah that was a great map-- good times for sure. I miss your Kerns bigtime. We could definitely use your banter, skill, and blade on the field of battle, Goat. You are missed.

We're in Tier 3 Group 2 now. I wish there was a web-based way to see the standings. The new season started today so its a bit too early to determine the dynamic in this group, but the large clan Tadoku is probably going to dominate and get a promotion to tier 2. Its not yet clear if there are any other huge clans in this group. If so, we'll have to wait until next season (i.e. nextweek) to push for a promotion.

You know, Magyar and Kocmoc, I can see your point-- it would be awesome to have an invite-only tier/group and limit movement to regions that border areas you already own-- but I think CA will say they've already given us the MP campaign. This clan competition is intended to be more like a league system (thus the promotion and relegation). While its true that large clans will naturally dominate (as they can win more victories and therefore more points), I'm still having some fun with it as I'm ranking up my avatar since I need to play MM's anyway.

It's a league system that favors large clans. I'd love to see them add an invitational system.

Nigel
04-26-2011, 18:53
Well, i want some real clancompetition, same we had with our own selfmade clancampaign.

Well, actually, I have been thinking about this over the past couple of days.
Give me some time to put my thoughts into words and maybe we can get something like that going. :clown:

Proteus
04-26-2011, 23:56
The best strategy on the clan campaine the way it is ,is not play it at all ,I just ignore it , before it starts i create with some other clan vets the GUILD OF CLANS on steam to unite as many clans as possible we got 155 members the first 2 weeks ,but still will not working as each clan has their own personal goals to achive for incoming real tournaments,then the time zones servers divition come up and the achivements are simple quantitavly .Maybe if in future CA let players to set their own parameters of the campaine ,territories , # of players , map location of the battles etc could be more usefull.

Swoosh So
04-28-2011, 19:07
Well, actually, I have been thinking about this over the past couple of days.
Give me some time to put my thoughts into words and maybe we can get something like that going. :clown:

Gl peeling people away from MMO type matchmaker grind zombieism :)

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
04-28-2011, 20:20
I can't remember what Tier us ELITES are on, I think it was 2 or 3.

Dionysus9
04-28-2011, 21:12
Looks like CA botched something up and now they are rolling back the Clan Competition status to before the April 25th end of season -- so it looks like all our hard work to move up to tier 3 will be wasted. I guess we'll see. Ugh.

Per CA: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/16635-Clan-Competition-Tweak?p=184704#post184704

Hi All

We hit a couple of little snags with the Clan Competition servers last week, mainly with promotions and relegations. Thanks to the super-human reactions of the community, we were able to quickly identify these issues and have now fixed them.

The good news is you won't need to download anything - it's just a case of restarting the servers on our end.

You may notice the following effects once the servers have been restarted:

* We have reset the clan tier to the same status as the time before the Monday 25th update. Your clan influence points will not change from their current level and will continue to accumulate until the next update on Monday.

* The tier and gameworld you occupy will be rectified, and is therefore liable to change.

* Ownership of regions may change (influence points will not be lost but a new clan might have more influence than the previous owner).

This should happen sometime today. You might notice a tiny bit of downtime while we get things back up and running, but any interruptions will be short.

Thank you for your patience,

The Creative Assembly