PDA

View Full Version : Is the Tosa cup worthless?

Oda
05-07-2011, 22:52
So, I was playing this game today in the Tosa cup, against Chocobo, who thought It is a good idea to pick a mass bow cav army (and a bow general). I myself had picked a balanced army (what else?), basically consisting of 4 archers, 2 matchlocks, 3 spears, 4 cav and 6 sword inf. My enemy was hiding in the forest, and as I was moving towards the mid of the map, as he appeared, with his 6 highly vetted bow cav (and 2 great guards, plus some yari and light cav). Upon seeing that I did a controlled retreat back to my forest. Apparently my opponent had expected me to suicide my army, but as he saw my retread he refused to attack - in any manner.

To me it was ridiculous that someone picked such a spam-army, as in all previous TW tournaments the number of bow cav was always very strictly limited. So, while I was waiting in the woods, I contacted an admin (TinCow), who later forwarded me to another admin, Kocmoc. As we were in the chat, my opponent, myself and Kocmoc, discussing the situation, Kocmoc made following points clear:

- He suggested that It was me who should move out of the forest and attack the cav, since "the cav is so very inferior".
- He also proposed that we restart the game, and then in each game there is one defender and one attacker.
- However, he did not force the restart of the game under balanced conditions, or anything like that, but he said we should sort it out ourselves.
- Furthermore he added, that if nothing, we should play on the current game (which meant camping forever).

Of course my opponent, who was massing cav, disagreed to restart the game and play a balanced matchup. And since waiting forever was not an option for me, we agreed that I should move my army out of the forest (as Kocmoc suggested). Well, as expected I got slaughtered by the highly vetted bow cav. I then sent this replay to the admin, Kocmoc, demanding that something is done in the rules about it. He then criticized that I deployed my archers in one line, and that I should have stacked them (!?), and that that was the reason I lost...

Here is the link to the replay (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=841ZV7VR), so judge for yourself. I had concerns regarding the rules from beforehand, and now I feel confirmed. What's your opinion?

If the rules get changed (bow cav limited), I will stay in this tournament, and I have no problem with being behind 0-1. However, I won't waste my time on a tournament where players can mass bow cav and get away with it.

TinCow
05-07-2011, 23:03
It was very clearly stated in the rules that the only limits on units was no artillery. Many people have many different opinions what is a proper army. It is impossible to please everyone, so we chose the method that seemed to be supported by the most: setting no restructions except for artillery, which can insta-kill a general at the start of a match. No army is invincible, not even a bow cav army.

Oda
05-07-2011, 23:09
Yes, all of this is true. But the question is not whether an army is invincible or not, but if you can pick a (balanced) army, that gives you a fair winning chance against any matchup, or not. If this is not the case, it boils down to a simple rock-paper-scissors, where the game is over before it has even begun, and this can never be within the meaning of a proper tournament.

I also noticed that in the brackets (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/tournaments.php?do=view&id=18) my opponent got advanced although the second game wasn't even played. How is that possible?

Kocmoc
05-07-2011, 23:10
While watching the vid, everyone can notice, that you dont play that great. Actual a full cav army is easy to beat, even with your setup. Just that you lose your archer like this (actual you was lucky, that your opponent didnt attacked your unprotected 5 archer in the woods at start) is bad. There was just one archer group. Not good moved, not good lined up.

Get some 200 monk bows and done. I cant see how someone can lose vs bow cav. Anyway, Im not here to judge your playstyle. There are rules and your opponent did stick to the rules.

I also want to add, that we had some interesting communication. Im not posting it here, I jsut want to remind you on some of your spellings and swearings.
Just in case, I did copy paste it and I suggest we leave it as it is now and end it right here.

I spent about 1 hour to find a dimplomatic solution.

TinCow
05-07-2011, 23:32
Yes, all of this is true. But the question is not whether an army is invincible or not, but if you can pick a (balanced) army, that gives you a fair winning chance against any matchup, or not. If this is not the case, it boils down to a simple rock-paper-scissors, where the game is over before it has even begun, and this can never be within the meaning of a proper tournament.

I also noticed that in the brackets (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/tournaments.php?do=view&id=18) my opponent got advanced although the second game wasn't even played. How is that possible?

You were at am impass with your opponent that could not be resolved. We had to advance someone and you couldn't sort it out for yourselves, so we had to make a decision. It was decided that it was best to advance him, as his army was legal and you were refusing to fight his army.

Oda
05-07-2011, 23:44
While watching the vid, everyone can notice, that you dont play that great. Actual a full cav army is easy to beat, even with your setup. Just that you lose your archer like this (actual you was lucky, that your opponent didnt attacked your unprotected 5 archer in the woods at start) is bad. There was just one archer group. Not good moved, not good lined up.

Get some 200 monk bows and done. I cant see how someone can lose vs bow cav. Anyway, Im not here to judge your playstyle. There are rules and your opponent did stick to the rules.

I also want to add, that we had some interesting communication. Im not posting it here, I jsut want to remind you on some of your spellings and swearings.
Just in case, I did copy paste it and I suggest we leave it as it is now and end it right here.

I spent about 1 hour to find a dimplomatic solution.

I already mentioned that you "criticized" the way I play. First of all my archers in the woods in the beginning were not unprotected, but they had a Naginata samurai at close proximity and 2 great guard + 2 yari cav little further away. This makes them invincible to almost every variation where the opponent could charge me with cav.

I however don't know what you mean with "there was just one archer group". I actually don't comprehend most of them things that you say, and yet you energetically claim them to be true. This is the reason I challenged you to a game, which you refused (for whatever mysterious reason).

200 monk bows (if you mean the amount of actual monks) will cost you a third of your money in a medium sized game on 14k, if you keep in mind that you have spent 1800 on your general already. It will not only make you vulnerable to rush armies, but monks also have hardly any armor and take a lot of damage from bows. Thus, because of their cost and their weak armor, monks are best used combined with other archers typed in 10 and 14k. Maybe other people see this differently, but my theory works for me, and differences in theory are best sorted out through the praxis (an actual game which you refuse).

@TinCow:

So be it then. If cav spamming, red line camping (game Sabre vs AzureCuzYeah) etc. is going to be allowed in this tournament I don't bother wasting my time. And I am not the only one who thinks that way.

douchebag
05-07-2011, 23:58
Pretty strange, I don't see why a natural reaction to such an army build should be punished. . .

Meataus
05-08-2011, 00:08
Well, I just finished my games vs Chocobo. He brought an almost identical army to our second game, which I won with a heroic victory. I found him to be a good sportsman, although I do think those all cav armies are a little cheesy.

Some suggestions for being flexible enough to be able to beat these armies without having to screw up your own army too much.

1) More spears. You only had 3 vet naganitas. I also take 3 super cheap unvetted yari ashiguru, both to screen and eat arrows, and have a better chance if my opponent is really cav heavy.

2) Long range archers. You need at least a couple of these. If you're not in a bow clan, your only choice is 200 range bow monks. 175 range ashiguru archers would also cut it. Since I'm not in a bow clan I have to go with the bow monk option. They're expensive, but without them you can get skirmished with impunity vs someone who micros bow cav well.

3) Blockers. Bow cav are much easier to micro if your archers are up the front of your lines, since he can leave fire at will on. Put your blockers in loose formation and have them just in front of your archers. Matchlocks, yari ashiguru, or naganita sam will all do the job nicely, with matchlocks having the ability to shoot back if your opponent is careless.

Oda
05-08-2011, 00:54
@Meataus:

Doesn't really need much APM to target-fire archers, I think the blockers are rather a waste of money against someone who knows how to play, and a potential target for someone who has more ammo than you. The problem with your build (yari and archers) is that it is very weak against a rush army (what I try to prevent with my build), unless you mass matchlocks and camp (and I am someone who hates to camp). But this is a story on it's own.

Also, the topic here is mainly the lack of proper rules, rather than that specific game. Proper rules would also include a heavy clamp-down on matchlocks.

AggonyKing
05-08-2011, 01:08
there's no need for strict rules that restrict everything. The rules as they are right now allow for everyone to play the game the way they like to best. Its up to you to succeed, if you didn't, then train harder.

Meataus
05-08-2011, 01:19
I'm not sure that unit rules are needed, at least if you're trying to make a tournament where you see an interesting array of different armies.

As I mentioned, my idea of a balanced army is having a decent number of archers, matchlocks, spears, and of course a solid melee core. As you saw in our practice games, it can beat a rush army too if you can keep enough of your ranged units firing.

If one person wins all their games in this tournament with a super cheesy army, then we can all put on our 20/20 hindsight glasses and blame the rules, but right now I dont think that's going to happen as CA has balanced the units pretty well, and the ranged buffs (inspire/rapid fire) are getting nerfed in a couple days, before the tournament ends.

To be honest my only problem with the rules is that they took out the woodcamping rule, but hopefully the anticipated shame of everyone seeing the replays of players do that will prevent it happening. I'm certainly not going to attack archers in the woods, so I'm unclear what happens if no one attacks for all 3 games.

Jevanko
05-08-2011, 01:28
Idk about the whole conflict u had, but what I find a bit dissapointing is that we'll have played one playround over the whole weekend.. I was expecting to at least play 3-4 rounds this saturday.. If it continues like this it will be a 6 week event.. I mean a deadline for sunday 24.00 that is 29 hours to play one round..

OUT4BLOOD
05-08-2011, 01:29
I watched the replay, I think you just were in a state of panic for a lot of the fight. You retreat all the way back, allowing the much faster CA to snipe you... then you kept your archers on your left far back instead of putting them in front of your melee to protect them. Instead, you put your guns there which obviously got slaughtered due to the range difference.

Next time vs this setup, use a high armour fast unit (e.g great guard) to pressure their CA whilst aggressively moving forward with your archers. Also, try to initiate combat by flanking with your own cav rather than sitting them uselessly behind your lines.

His setup could have been a lot nastier if he actually micro'd his CA to encircle you instead of being lazy with them all in one group. If you were aggressive with your archers and pressured from the sides he really couldn't do much here

Oda
05-08-2011, 01:33
there's no need for strict rules that restrict everything. The rules as they are right now allow for everyone to play the game the way they like to best. Its up to you to succeed, if you didn't, then train harder.

Train harder in doing what? Picking imba armies and hope my opponent doesn't pick the counter army? Well, If I wanted to play rock-paper-scissor I would play rock-paper-scissor and not Shogun 2 Total War. Someone who makes such statement must be either massing bow-cav or matchlock camping himself.

But since you are so eager in judging my skill, I think you wont mind a game, would you? With mirror vanilla armies on Ricefields? Just a plain test of skill, on a plain field, without any forests, or hills, or anything? Do people like you even have the skill to win a game that is not won by army composition? No, they don't. And I shall prove it by wiping the Ricefields with your face. Ok? Because else everything you say are just empty words.

@OUT4BLOOD:

My Bows were inferior from the beginning on to his Bow-Cav. I knew that and it proved to be correct later on. So I sacrificed one unit of matchlocks (which is just 340 koku out of 14k), to get my archers to safety so I could fight on later. I retreated all the way back to the forest, because this is the only forest that neglects the forest advantage for the enemy in a skirmish.

Furthermore, my meele cav was inferior too, and although highly armored, his Bow-Cav was highly upgraded. So if I attacked him I would get decimated first, and then engaged by his even more so superior meele cav, and in the end lose my cav to nothing.

Yes, he microed his Bow-Cav poorly, and this is what upsets me. That someone which such a bad micro and a no-skill army can win a game only because proper rules were neglected.

Also, you can't "pressure someone from all sides" if you have the mobility, i.e. cav, disadvantage.

Swoosh So
05-08-2011, 01:35
Train harder in doing what? Picking imba armies and hope my opponent doesn't pick the counter army? Well, If I wanted to play rock-paper-scissor I would play rock-paper-scissor and not Shogun 2 Total War. Someone who makes such statement must be either massing bow-cav or matchlock camping himself.

But since you are so eager in judging my skill, I think you wont mind a game, would you? With mirror vanilla armies on Ricefields? Just a plain test of skill, on a plain field, without any forests, or hills, or anything? Do people like you even have the skill to win a game that is not won by army composition? No, they don't. And I shall prove it by wiping the Ricefields with your face. Ok? Because else everything you say are just empty words.

Angry boy is angry.

Meataus
05-08-2011, 01:36
Idk about the whole conflict u had, but what I find a bit dissapointing is that we'll have played one playround over the whole weekend.. I was expecting to at least play 3-4 rounds this saturday.. If it continues like this it will be a 6 week event.. I mean a deadline for sunday 24.00 that is 29 hours to play one round..

Hopefully as the no show players get removed it'll speed up. I mean if you win your next game, there's no reason we cant play our game anytime during the week. Dont have to wait till next weekend.

It's a world wide tournament with people in all time zones. There's only so much the admins can do, a lot of the responsibility rests with us players to communicate with our opponents and play the match.

That being said, I really think the cutoff for the first round could have been at end of day today, instead of tomorrow. There's no excuse for not showing up at least once on the opening day. Too late to change now, though.

OUT4BLOOD
05-08-2011, 01:39
Sorry oda, but that game wasn't a really good example of rock-paper-scissors. As mentioned by a lot of people here,there are a lot of better things you could have done, and I think the fact that your immediate response was to run away and hide in a forest somewhat betrays your inexperience.

AggonyKing
05-08-2011, 01:55

man someone is grumpy :)

btw rice fields has forest...so go out there and find a plain map with no forest, hills, or anything and maybe I'll bother to do this. For the record, I only use 1-2 guns in my army. Also for the record, I beaten all types of spam army with this build, 2 bow monk, 4 loan swords, 3 yari cav, 2 ashi guns, 3 ashi spears, 2 nani monks. Also also for the record, this game doesn't have a "this is the must use build" learn to beat any build and stop complaining.

the real problem here though, you keep complaining about your opponent's tactic. Why didn't you adapt? why didn't you take advantage of knowing your opponent was going to probably use the same tactic again?

Meataus over there had no problems, so why did you?

Swoosh So
05-08-2011, 01:56
So many problems would be sorted with an attack defence game 1 attack 1 defence and if still a draw go head to head on ricefields.

Oda
05-08-2011, 02:02
Sorry oda, but that game wasn't a really good example of rock-paper-scissors. As mentioned by a lot of people here,there are a lot of better things you could have done, and I think the fact that your immediate response was to run away and hide in a forest somewhat betrays your inexperience.

You see, it is always easy to criticize other people for not following your imaginary scenarios. As a matter of fact however, bow-cav armies devastate inf armies on the open field that are inferior in firepower. This was the very reason why bow cav was strictly regulated in all previous TW titles. But if you are really convinced that your theories are true and your decision making is superior to mine, we can practically prove it in a game. If not, then don't waste my time with your fantasizing.

@Swoosh So:
This is what I would have agreed to. But my enemy didn't, and the admin was too incompetent to intervene properly and force such a game.

@AggonyKing:
The forest is only on one side of the map. So it is possible to fight on Ricefields without being obstructed by the forest, which is obviously the reason why I mentioned it explicitly.

1. Your build is very weak to archer spam.
2. I don't care what your build looks like.
3. " why didn't you take advantage of knowing your opponent was going to probably use the same tactic again?" - This is by far the dumbest assumption I have ever heard in the last few months.

If you are as good at this game as you are at the calculus of probabilities (strictly speaking game theory), then wiping the floor with your face will be a breeze. Also, add me on steam and let's play, I have no interest in talking to you.

OUT4BLOOD
05-08-2011, 02:05
You see, it is always easy to criticize other people for not following your imaginary scenarios. As a matter of fact however, bow-cav armies devastate inf armies on the open field that are inferior in firepower. This was the very reason why bow cav was strictly regulated in all previous TW titles. But if you are really convinced that your theories are true and your decision making is superior to mine, we can practically prove it in a game. If not, then don't waste my time with your fantasizing.

Actually bow cav wasn't restricted in all other TW games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DISKy5nPZqc

Meataus
05-08-2011, 02:14

@Swoosh So:
This is what I would have agreed to. But my enemy didn't, and the admin was too incompetent to intervene properly and force such a game.

Half the fun of this game is building your army with enough rocks, scissors and papers that you can stop anything too crazy. If every game was rice fields with the same exact armies it would be a pretty boring tournament.

Even if this your game went to the 3rd game, rice fields still has forests, so we'd be in the same situation, with no clear rules on how to decide a winner when someone doesn't want to attack into a forest.

Bow cav aren't overpowered, even in great numbers. They're actually reducing their price on Monday.

CanCritter
05-08-2011, 03:58
should be a 4 unit limit to keep it fair and fun..as for the calv army woulda stayed in trees and mooned him..play your game..not theirs

Gregoshi
05-08-2011, 04:56
May I suggest we stay away from accusations of incompetence on the part of players or admins and stick to the issue.

Also, keep in mind this is one of the first (the first?) TWS2 tournaments so there are bound to be some rough spots along the way. There will be lessons learned for future tournaments. Lastly, everyone involved (players and admins) is in it for the fun and spirit of competition. You are playing for some nice prizes but nothing that will give you cause to quit your day job. So, strap on your armour, sharpen your sword, roll with any adversity and have a good time. :bow:

Motep
05-08-2011, 05:26
May I suggest we stay away from accusations of incompetence on the part of players or admins and stick to the issue.

Also, keep in mind this is one of the first (the first?) TWS2 tournaments so there are bound to be some rough spots along the way. There will be lessons learned for future tournaments. Lastly, everyone involved (players and admins) is in it for the fun and spirit of competition. You are playing for some nice prizes but nothing that will give you cause to quit your day job. So, strap on your armour, sharpen your sword, roll with any adversity and have a good time. :bow:

Good words to live by, I think. It makes a good learning experience, if nothing else, and the advice on this thread is worth at least trying against a buddy, to see if it works. Also, arrogance is not the key, here. I hope you are quickly humbled.

AMP
05-08-2011, 05:49
Well it's just like MM no restrictions and no attacker or defender, so if you played lots of MM games you should know before hand facing a build like that is possible. The best thing to do is try to think of a build good enough to have a chance to beat any build you come across.

The thing that is missing of course is sometimes in MM you get key buildings, which do help in my games sometimes in MM as people tend to sit back or I end up pushing someone off a key building and they run back into woods to hide.

It's best of 3, so you can push yourself to attack first game and 2nd game if your opponent plays the run away from you again deal I'd just pick a spot and park it if I couldn't play the tag your it game, since the first match I already did the aggressive attacking. If it's a 3rd match on rice fields I'd just go to the middle of the map and park it there and not try to hunt down someone camping in the back unwilling to move forward.

Sadly this game is more about builds unlike the old days and Odas did look abit weak to face what was infront of him. The worst thing you can do though of course is sit there letting yourself get shot up which I saw happen in the replay, you should always charge and keep charging while you can and use what cav you have to try and tie down some of his long enough so your foot can join the fight. Lots of long lines of foot in loose formation backed up by your missile units behind them.

You can't put blame on the admins when you knew the rules before hand and should have known the possibilities of facing such an army.

Saspi
05-08-2011, 07:50
What is the Tosa Cup position on using the red line?

Oda
05-08-2011, 13:09
@CanCritter:

I can't wait in the woods forever. My opponent was some desperate noob who would have waited his entire life just to get a win. I had him in the friend list from before, and he is always on on steam and plays some random games. The guy has no rl. He even tried to snipe my gen when I was afk.

@Gregoshi:

It was clear that issues like this would occur since they usually occur in MM. Furthermore I doubt anybody plays because of the prices; a shirt, a game you already own, and 50$ for some random game (I myself already own all games I would play). What is even more ridiculous is that Org, a fan forum, sponsors this tournament more than CA, who is owned by SEGA, a company that makes a turnover of more than a billion USD per year. I was here because I wanted to kick some ass of some high-ranking and highly-reputable players.

I think I already mentioned that an army that would counter mass cav, would be weak to rush armies. The only thing that "counters all" is a mass bow monk/matchlock spam and camping (as we saw in the Sabre games).

@AMP: Yes, I have played a lot of MM. But in MM people have the dignity to accept that they put the burden of the aggressor on themselves when they pick mass cav. There is no build good enough to beat any build you come across. Yep, the key buildings would have helped a lot, I agree with that. I myself never had problems with people camping in the woods on plain ground, they surrender their maneuverability and I usually win easily.

If you charge your cav against vetted bow cav, you will get picked to pieces, they will retreat, and if you chase too long after them, you will get overwhelmed by their superior meele cav. So charging bow cav when you are inferior in the meele cav department is only a way of getting yourself hit by arrows.

OUT4BLOOD
05-08-2011, 15:21
@CanCritter:

What is even more ridiculous is that Org, a fan forum, sponsors this tournament more than CA, who is owned by SEGA, a company that makes a turnover of more than a billion USD per year.

CA donated 2 of the prizes, the Org 1

Hunter KIng George
05-08-2011, 15:54
@AggonyKing...funny how we had this chat yesterday about this. It's a tough issue, I know everyone says an all cav army is beatable and it is certainly possible, but when u face a very experience player with an army like that it's very tough and almost impossible. I do believe it is unfair BUT it is what it is right now. The tourny has started there is no way rules should be changed. As Gregoshi stated...it is a lesson learned for future tournaments.

AMP
05-08-2011, 16:12
If you charge your cav against vetted bow cav, you will get picked to pieces, they will retreat, and if you chase too long after them, you will get overwhelmed by their superior meele cav. So charging bow cav when you are inferior in the meele cav department is only a way of getting yourself hit by arrows. Yeah that's why I have so much trouble beating heavy bow cav armies in MM when I face them, thanks for the insight...

There is no build good enough to beat any build you come across. And you know this for a fact? If this is true I haven't had this problem with my standard build in my 400+ 1v1 MM games. I would like to face a build that I know I can't beat 0% chance with my standard build in 14k games.

I'll say this again... sitting there getting shot to pieces won't help you beat a bow cav setup like that, that's for sure. And at the start of the match leaving your 4 archers away from your main body makes no sense at all.

Nigel
05-08-2011, 18:17
Hmm, I have the impression we are discussing 2 different questions now:

A: Are the tournament rules good?
B: Are spam armies overpowered?

For A I think we can say that the rules are “pretty good but can be improved”, or perhaps they are “not really good and can be improved” but I think the difference between those is personal preference. In any case there should be lessons learned.

For B perhaps this could be the topic of its own thread, not related to the tournament at all.

Swoosh So
05-08-2011, 19:04
Hmm, I have the impression we are discussing 2 different questions now:

A: Are the tournament rules good?
B: Are spam armies overpowered?

For A I think we can say that the rules are “pretty good but can be improved”, or perhaps they are “not really good and can be improved” but I think the difference between those is personal preference. In any case there should be lessons learned.

For B perhaps this could be the topic of its own thread, not related to the tournament at all.

I thought we were discussing Oda's ego?

Oda
05-08-2011, 19:05
Yeah that's why I have so much trouble beating heavy bow cav armies in MM when I face them, thanks for the insight...

And you know this for a fact? If this is true I haven't had this problem with my standard build in my 400+ 1v1 MM games. I would like to face a build that I know I can't beat 0% chance with my standard build in 14k games.

I don't know what your build is nor do I care. If you are too archer/yari heavy, you will get destroyed by a loansword/katana cav rush army. If not, then you are weak to bow cav spam. The only alternative to have an army that is "good against everything" is to spam matchlocks and camp.

I'll say this again... sitting there getting shot to pieces won't help you beat a bow cav setup like that, that's for sure.

No ****, Sherlock?

And at the start of the match leaving your 4 archers away from your main body makes no sense at all.

It makes sense for me. If you can't understand why, then it's your problem.

OUT4BLOOD
05-08-2011, 19:19
I'd love for you to explain why the archers were there, maybe we can learn something

AMP
05-08-2011, 23:47
I don't know what your build is nor do I care. If you are too archer/yari heavy, you will get destroyed by a loansword/katana cav rush army. If not, then you are weak to bow cav spam. The only alternative to have an army that is "good against everything" is to spam matchlocks and camp.

Where is this coming from and who mentioned the build had to be archer/yari heavy? I disagree matchlock spam is very much beatable and isn't good against everything. All it takes is ranged bows to constantly bait and pull, so that = not good against everything. Infact that bow cav army would dominate a matchlock spam, lol.

Well you say no **** sherlock, so why then did you just sit and made no effort?

It makes sense to you yeah sure, but not to many other people I bet. Leaving your bows away from your main body only to have your main body get pecked at... yeah that makes tons of sense. Wait no you're gonna scare them away with your vanilla matchlock guns 100 range to 150 and 2 vs 6 mhmm.

Oda
05-09-2011, 10:55
Where is this coming from and who mentioned the build had to be archer/yari heavy? I disagree matchlock spam is very much beatable and isn't good against everything. All it takes is ranged bows to constantly bait and pull, so that = not good against everything. Infact that bow cav army would dominate a matchlock spam, lol.

Well you say no **** sherlock, so why then did you just sit and made no effort?

It makes sense to you yeah sure, but not to many other people I bet. Leaving your bows away from your main body only to have your main body get pecked at... yeah that makes tons of sense. Wait no you're gonna scare them away with your vanilla matchlock guns 100 range to 150 and 2 vs 6 mhmm.

You must feel very intelligent when pointing out the obvious, don't you? A matchlock spam usually implies spamming 200 range monks too. So mass bows do NOT work to counter matchlock-spam, unless you want to pick a bow-heavy army, which is useless against a meele spam.

I rush my archers to the forest because 80% of the time I am inferior in the archer fight. Lining them up and getting them shot to pieces is not an option. If I keep them in the forest however, I can skirmish out of it and either

a) win the archer battle although inferior, or
b) take the plateau and use the space advantage to maneuver my superior meele/cav army to victory, or
c) force my opponent to engage in the forest and win the meele.

In any scenario, I have won 100% of the time when I used this strategy. Avoiding the enemy where he is strong, striking him where he is weak, this is the art of war.

And regarding the battle against cav-spam:
If I had my archers up front there, I would have lost them all, and had no chance of winning even if camping the forest. Sacrificing some matchlock ashigaru, who were useless in the upcoming skirmish, and bailing out my archers was by far the best and only way to deal with this. So I had an chance of fighting back, even if outgunned.

chrisj
05-09-2011, 15:01
I don't know why you're quoting Sun Tzu when you're talking about a battle where you've done the exact opposite of the quote.

xploring
05-09-2011, 15:47
I have never played MP because I'm rubbish, but I thought something like the Armageddon rule in chess could be used to break the deadlock of two camping parties. In chess, if the score is even after an even number of games between two players, sometimes the Armageddon game is used to decide the winner. White who has the first move, would get 5 minutes for the game, and Black only 4 minutes, but White has to win and Black would only need to draw to "win" the match. Who gets white or black is decided by flip of a coin, or something similar.

That could apply to MP too by giving the two players different amount of money but making the richer player attack. The money difference can initially be decided by "auctioning" the attack position by raising the attack budget incrementally, then later aggregate the results after a number of games has been played and find the average gap for a fixed budget... Anyway, just an idea...

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
05-09-2011, 16:38
You people take this game way to serisouliy, some of you guys need to get a life :laugh:.

AMP
05-09-2011, 17:02
You must feel very intelligent when pointing out the obvious, don't you? A matchlock spam usually implies spamming 200 range monks too. So mass bows do NOT work to counter matchlock-spam, unless you want to pick a bow-heavy army, which is useless against a meele spam.

I rush my archers to the forest because 80% of the time I am inferior in the archer fight. Lining them up and getting them shot to pieces is not an option. If I keep them in the forest however, I can skirmish out of it and either

a) win the archer battle although inferior, or
b) take the plateau and use the space advantage to maneuver my superior meele/cav army to victory, or
c) force my opponent to engage in the forest and win the meele.

In any scenario, I have won 100% of the time when I used this strategy. Avoiding the enemy where he is strong, striking him where he is weak, this is the art of war.

And regarding the battle against cav-spam:
If I had my archers up front there, I would have lost them all, and had no chance of winning even if camping the forest. Sacrificing some matchlock ashigaru, who were useless in the upcoming skirmish, and bailing out my archers was by far the best and only way to deal with this. So I had an chance of fighting back, even if outgunned.

Well then you should've said matchlock spam with range 200 monks as well, so what excatly is this build then, all guns and bows that is unbeatable? Like I said I never faced an unbeatable build, but I'd sure like to just to see what it consists of. Inspire and Rapid Volley are getting nerfed, so will this build which you didn't tell me 100% what it consists of still be unbeatable?

You're an art of war master just not against cav-spam? Bummer dude.

Sitting there feeding him your troops little by little was the 0% chance way of winning...

Gregoshi
05-09-2011, 18:49
This thread appears to have lost its way and has devolved into an invigorating run on a hamster wheel.