PDA

View Full Version : Information Overload!!!

ShadeWraith
05-11-2011, 11:57
Hi Everyone, only found out a new version of Shogun was out yesterday so having now just bought the game am wondering what I have got myself into.....age has robbed me of several million brain cells since last time I played a TW game...prob around 2003. Heres me assuming I would just get the game and instantly drop online for a quick MP game...a rather huge learning curve ahead methinks :)

Anyway if I do ever manage to actually work out what the hell Im doing I may see some of you guys online sometime. Maybe I should just stick to the UMP 45 with red dot sight...or is that a weapon upgrade in STW2 that I havent discovered yet? :)

Wraith

Sp00n
05-11-2011, 12:47
Welcome back Wraith, theres plenty of us me included who have returned from 2003, there is a learning curve although I'd say S2 is the closest online experience to S1 and VI since VI.
Enjoy its getting better and better with each patch :).

ShadeWraith
05-11-2011, 12:57
Hi Sp00n..its been a while :) I was kind of hoping I may have some transferable skills..time will tell I suppose...Im presuming spears still kill cav and swords kill spears...I can remember that much :) Is there a lot of clan activity in this version of the game?

Wraith

Zarobien
05-11-2011, 13:13
Anyway if I do ever manage to actually work out what the hell Im doing I may see some of you guys online sometime. Maybe I should just stick to the UMP 45 with red dot sight...or is that a weapon upgrade in STW2 that I havent discovered yet? :)

I havent played much so this is all questionable but better than nothing I guess;

- The avatar campaing has a old shogun capaing map; when you win battles in the provinces that have buildings you unlock units. Those make huge difference; for example Great Guards beat up the other cavarly like dummies.
- Ashigaru units have really low morale. I think my first 10 battles whent by watching when they runned at the sight of the enemy.
- When some of your units do well in battle; they gain elite status and you can upgrade them in army management screen. Using them after gives them more xp and you can upgrade them futher.
- When you put upgrade point you cant take it off and it raises the price of them. So watch what you put on them.
- Nodatchi samurais arent made like they used to; they have extremely low armor and they do take beating quite often. I'd say katana samurais are better.
- Auto skrimishing is extremely weak; it runs of to enemies among other things... You have to manual it and therefore you cant have too much of it going on.
- You will get matched to ridiculously better players... Witch can be anoying but you still get xp for your units on those.
- Arrows are very effective. My first 4 elite units where ashigaru archers; my 4 next ones where ashigaru spears guarding them.
- I'm unsure about loansword ashigaru... i have 4 of those and they exell at running... I cant remember a battle they hold the line; even with rally and inspire.

But you learn this all by playing better.... I took a beating at the start and now I'm taking a beating from the 10 star generals but have good win change against my lvl.

ShadeWraith
05-11-2011, 13:59
Thanks for the info Zarobien...nice to see people are still helpful :) Like you say I'll just have to dip my toe in the water and hope I dont come out with a bloody stump! :)

Wraith

Sp00n
05-11-2011, 16:46
Hi Sp00n..its been a while :) I was kind of hoping I may have some transferable skills..time will tell I suppose...Im presuming spears still kill cav and swords kill spears...I can remember that much :) Is there a lot of clan activity in this version of the game?

Wraith

Theres definately a lot that will feel familiar to the original game, spears do kill cav and onthe whole swords kill spears. Cav are slightly different spear cav tend to dominate and cav archers arnt the force they were in 1.

Jochi Khan
05-11-2011, 17:26
Hi ShadeWraith

As sp00n says there is a learning curve but patience is a good thing.

Gameplay a lot similar to Shogun1 now that the new Patch2 is out.

The Avatar system gets a little getting used to at first. Something totally different to other TW games.

A lot of players you will probably know are playing the game.

ShadeWraith
05-11-2011, 17:53
Hmm, patience isnt one of my strong points but I'll try...if I have half the fun I did in shogun one it will be good :) Im looking forward to meeting up with some of people from the original shogun...not sure about game name though as it appears to be linked to my steam account in which I use another game name...shall have to see if its possible to change it.

Wraith

Jochi Khan
05-12-2011, 12:00
You have the option to change your name in your Steam.. Your Profile.

ShadeWraith
05-13-2011, 11:20
Thanks for that Jochi, I worked it out myself...I was just being lazy asking on here :) Finally managed to play a game online yesterday a 2v2 and got a hell of a beating...note to self dont join 10k battles when you cant spend anywhere near that amount. Maybe I should learn to beat the AI before I venture online :) I do find it a bit of a strange system where your playing at a big disadvantage as a newcomer...or thats the way it appears to me...I always sucked at low koku battles so it doesnt fill me with confidence having Ashis as the foundation of my army.

It seems a huge learning curve at the moment and the easier option appears to be to forget all I knew about stw1 and immerse myself in being a complete noob player :)

Wraith

Jochi Khan
05-13-2011, 13:59
Added you to my friends list and an invite to our group.

Enjoy the game, it is so much fun. There are players who will help you to 'settle in' to the new system.
10k battles.... funds can be spent.

ShadeWraith
05-13-2011, 16:35
Thanks Jochi...I'll look out for the invite, one thing is anyone experiencing hosting and joining game issues? About one game in three I get to actually get into and every time I try to host it just freezes the game, just wondered if this is common before I start tinkering with the P.C :)

Wraith

Sp00n
05-13-2011, 16:52
2v2 upwards are very buggy with the match making mode, 1v1s not so bad I doubt its your PC :).

Zarobien
05-20-2011, 19:19
I'm playing with 6x3,2GHz prosessor, 8gb 1600Hz memories and directX11 ready 1gb vid card... I have very little freezes or crashes and about 100% of the time I am waiting others to load up the game.
On the other side; I'm in 1/0,5mb ADSL line... I do lose connection quite often and I dont think thats even near enough to host 2vs2 or beyond.

I'm guessing the game isnt so demanding aslong as you got decent dx11 vid card. But it does seem to use lots of bandwith or it has low ping tolerance.

10k games are cool if you dont have all the units but have some. I myself do better against the 10 stars on 14k games than the 1 stars on 5k games... My army fills the 14k fine but 5k is too little... Theres a key to happines there somewhere.