PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to turn off (or down) certain interface sounds?

RedKnight
05-28-2011, 02:42
Hi folks,

Would anyone know -

Is there a way to turn down (or off) the "drum pound" sound that happens if you use the cycling button to cycle through units/provinces/etc. or if you bring up or close down the menu?

There are several sound Options (speech, effects, music), and obviously this is effects. But I don't want to turn down all effects' volume, just these ones. A.k.a. when it's late at night, I don't mind a battle being loud, but if I'm constantly cycling, it is tiresome. The cat that sleeps on my printer would probably agree. The wife upstairs also might.

Thanks if you can help!

RK

Kurisu
05-31-2011, 14:53
I think I've identified the sound you're talking about. Can you confirm that the attached wav is correct? The file is located in sound.pack. Specifically it's \sfx\hud\campaign\emp_hyb_campaign_popups_set_v1.00_gme.wav . It should be possible to edit the file to lower the volume and include it in a mod pack file. Haven't tried replacing UI sounds before.

edit: Whoops, just checked in game and that wasn't quite the right sound (very close though). I'll keep looking and post back.

Attachment removed :oops:

edit: OK, found the correct sounds. There's actually 2 or 3 sounds for cycling/selecting items on the campaign map. The sound I believe you're talking about is for buildings. There's a separate sound for characters/armies which is less percussive (sounds like sticks) as well as a more subtle drum for simply mousing over a city. These could all be normalized, but it sounds like the buildings clip is the one giving you grief. I'll refrain from posting the clips since they're technically unedited CA originals, but if you'll confirm which ones are bothersome, I can either post a mod lowering them or instructions on how to do so.

RedKnight
06-04-2011, 01:00
Thanks very much Kurisu, I will have to break out the unpacker to see which one it is... It's been a busy week (busy month!), so I will post something here as soon as I find it.

Thanks again! - RK

Kurisu
06-05-2011, 10:32
Sure thing. The file is \sfx\hud\gamewide\stw2_lib_button_select_building_v1.00_gme.wav . Strange thing though, when I tested replacing it with the mouseover_soft clip, the game will play one of the other button click sounds instead of the replacement. So it worked, but not as intended. Quite puzzling.