PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal against campers?

Yesugey
05-29-2011, 13:03
I always thought since STW, the worst part of multiplayer on TW series is the campers. Eventually you face with a noob who just dont go out from the hole he stucked himself and seems like never gets bored.

I always march if I have a higher rank, and I usually wait for the guy to come to me, if he has higher rank. Is that the correct behaviour? Are we count equal no matter what their level is? (Yes they pay more money for their vets, but I think skill, extra trainer and Avatar advantages really messes the balance.)

And what do you usually do against campers? I was all cavalry once, and the guy just walked into river and wait for me to come. I am a guy with no patient, I attacked and lost obviously. Who wins on that situation? Is there a time limit?

Cu'Roi
05-30-2011, 02:41
they took away the time limit, which sort of sucks because sometimes after a 30 min game u battle each other to a stalemate, you're both okay with a draw result, both earned it.

you should be able to offer draw in this game.

there is no real solution for the problem unless u have attacker/defender designations and or you always have ranged advantage.

Miotsu
05-30-2011, 15:05
I guess it's the chance you take by going all calv.... just sayin'...
IMHO.. if he's a camper, there's always of way of luring them down from their purch...

Yesugey
05-30-2011, 15:26
they took away the time limit, which sort of sucks because sometimes after a 30 min game u battle each other to a stalemate, you're both okay with a draw result, both earned it.

there is no real solution for the problem unless u have attacker/defender designations and or you always have ranged advantage.

You are right, there must be "draw" button, or at least someone should be marked as the "attacker". I just cant believe they didnt solved this one.

AMP
05-30-2011, 18:26
I don't mind playing against campers, but I know most do. Key buildings are suppose to help against campers, but aren't always on and some maps only have 1 building. If you pick an unbalanced army it's always a risk... most so compared to stw days.

Would be funny if key buildings once capped granted funds slowly allowing you to bring in new units with a cap of course and you can retreat units to replace them as needed given the situation. It sure would make for interesting matches. :)

I never liked timers because people back in stw days would just run around the map if they could until it ran out. Sometimes if you weren't paying attention to the time you opponent set he would have it at like 5mins the lowest you could have and bring lots of archers, use a bridge map (hoping you didn't know the map), and sit his butt on a hill, lol.

Nigel
05-30-2011, 21:32
Would be funny if key buildings once capped granted funds slowly allowing you to bring in new units with a cap of course and you can retreat units to replace them as needed given the situation. It sure would make for interesting matches. :)

That actually sounds like a cool idea.
Not sure how it would really work in a competitive game, but for fun games it would be pretty interesting and certainly effective against campers. :cool:

AMP
05-31-2011, 01:44
That actually sounds like a cool idea.
Not sure how it would really work in a competitive game, but for fun games it would be pretty interesting and certainly effective against campers. :cool:

Thanks I knew it sounded good when I was thinking of it 10 years ago back in stw days, when they had that king of hill deal, but of course this would be different allowing you to choose your units you bring in when you have enough funds. I think it could work with competitive games and it doesn't hurt to try out non-competitively first of course.

I suggested alot of ideas I thought were cool to CA over the years, but hardly any are noticed. :(

Yesugey
05-31-2011, 07:23
I suggested alot of ideas I thought were cool to CA over the years, but hardly any are noticed. :(

Honestly, I think its CA's loss. Both your ideas, "bringing new units for holding key positions" and "No timer because of runners" are very good. And worse, both are used in different strategy games before, but CA guys just doesnt improve themselves. Its been 12 years, and I still have to deal with campers, or chase two cavalry units with my 12 infantry division for two hours.

CA has a long way to improve itself on multiplayer.

TinCow
05-31-2011, 12:08
Another anti-camping ability would be attrition. Simply start slowly killing men in units that haven't moved for X minutes.

Magyar Khan
05-31-2011, 16:56
dojos which would had slowly men to decimated units would be helpfull.....

Magyar Khan
05-31-2011, 17:01

well what i mostly do is discussing it with the enemy and eventually attack him and give him his win..... it will taste bitter for him in teh end....

jepp21
08-09-2011, 19:33
If i have superior bows, i skirmish the bastard to death.... if not, then i will camp in either an opposite forest ore wait him out. If the forest is big.... attack him from the side ore surround him.... then u would be equal.... but yes.... shame on them

ang btw.... the "slowly get more units" thing will just result in campers camping around that bonus building..lol

NightwindKing
08-11-2011, 14:33
You could always try flaming him out :-)

If it gets down to cavalry runners, it's a matter of encircling him or forcing him off the map, like chess.

If it's a camper in the woods, I'd go for poking at his front lines with some throw-away units, then charge up the back when he comes out to attack the prey. If he's in the water, ya gotta either slog through it or use archers...one option is to get your heavy infantry units in the water 'downstream' from him and slowly push up, so you're on equal footing. That should at least make him move toward you.

Tomisama
08-16-2011, 12:02
How about a morale degrade solution?

Any unit standing too long in one position, begins to loose morale.

The rate could be slow but sure, and eventually end in them leaving the field.

I think that this is practical, and realistic.

"You bring warriors to the battle and won’t let them fight?

It is a disgrace!"

This would also work against long term hiding of units in the woods.

Leave them standing there for 15 minutes, and they start to degrade.

By 30, they have lost 25% (but still could be re-encouraged somewhat by a General's visit)

At 45 minutes they start marching home with very low morale (maybe 50% or at least unretriveable).

The concept is “use it or loose it”, and I think it solves many problems for multiplayer.

Your thoughts?

Edit: I think this kind of an idea was used for heavily armored troops in hot weather in a previous era game, so for sure can be done.

NightwindKing
08-16-2011, 14:33
How about a morale degrade solution?

Any unit standing too long in one position, begins to loose morale.

The rate could be slow but sure, and eventually end in them leaving the field.

I think that this is practical, and realistic.

"You bring warriors to the battle and won’t let them fight?

It is a disgrace!"

This would also work against long term hiding of units in the woods.

Leave them standing there for 15 minutes, and they start to degrade.

By 30, they have lost 25% (but still could be re-encouraged somewhat by a General's visit)

At 45 minutes they start marching home with very low morale (maybe 50% or at least unretriveable).

The concept is “use it or loose it”, and I think it solves many problems for multiplayer.

Your thoughts?

Edit: I think this kind of an idea was used for heavily armored troops in hot weather in a previous era game, so for sure can be done.

I like it! It makes it more game focused and less player focused. IE: the struggle is how to play a good strategy based off decisions made by the game and knowing the game, not having to pray that your opponent is a nice guy. Cus you'll lose on the latter every time.

jepp21
08-16-2011, 19:42
that will just result in campers slowley moving their units around in a limited area... and would also ruin a perfect ambush in some cases.... it wont work for me....

As a matter of fact i dont really think u can do anything to stop the "camping"...... if you face a camper.... i always chat with him and make him feel bad ;)