PDA

View Full Version : The Sengoku Jidai League Discussion Thread

TinCow
06-03-2011, 13:39
https://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3449/logostw2.jpg

The Sengoku Jidai League

Welcome to the Sengoku Jidai TWS2 Multiplayer League!

Season 1 is now open for play. It will close on Monday, July 18th at 00:01 GMT.

Information on the League and how to join can be found in this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?135915-The-Sengoku-Jidai-League-Rules-and-Information). Do not begin playing matches yet! We need a good base of players before play commences, so the League will be open for sign-ups only for a little while (perhaps one to two weeks). An announcement will be made when this sign-ups only period is over, and play commences. The season will then last one month from that date.

Please go out and recruit your friends and clanmates to join this League. The League will only be as good as the players in it, so getting quality players is essential. If you know anyone that you would want to compete against, tell them about the League and try and get them to sign up. We need players who are not only skilled and mature, but also active. Players must be capable of playing at least a couple matches per week. If you are only capable of playing a few matches per month, this is not the League for you.

Rules are semi-finalized, which means that I am happy with their current state and feel comfortable running the League with them as they stand. However, there is still time before play actually begins. If you would like to see further tweaks to the rules, please do discuss them now so that the changes can be made before Season 1 play begins.

If you have any questions this is also the place to ask them. I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

AggonyKing
06-03-2011, 17:07
well I'm ready :knight:

servezza
06-04-2011, 11:57
rdy here!
:iloveyou:

Marshall Louis-Nicolas Davout
06-04-2011, 18:27
I'm ready

Emperor Arcturus Mengsk
06-13-2011, 13:45
Joined and created the 1st open challenge for the opening day of the ladder,

are you ready?? YEAAAH!
Let's go!

:)

TinCow
06-15-2011, 15:31
Direct access to Steam IDs has been added to the ladder's rank display to make it easier to find your opponents. On the ladder (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/ladders.php?do=view&id=12), simply click the steam icon (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/images/misc/im_steam.gif) next to a player's name to get a pop-up which will let you access their Steam profile.

Please note that the following players have not added their Steam IDs to their accounts:

Jack The Snake
AggonyReborn
][GERUDO][ Harba
Zilverzamp

We will not accept any matches played by these people until they are properly registered. If anyone knows the proper Steam IDs for these people, you can PM it to me and I will add it in manually.

AggonyKing
06-15-2011, 17:58
i can tell reborn ^_^

AggonyReborn
06-15-2011, 20:26
added steam link

TinCow
06-15-2011, 22:19
Direct Challenges can now be made directly through the utility, they do not have to be done via the Gamemasters. This information has been added to the tutorial section (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?135915-The-Sengoku-Jidai-League-Rules-and-Information&p=2053321887&viewfull=1#post2053321887), but I will repost it here as an additional notice:

To Create a Direct Challenge:
Go to the Ladder that corresponds to your current tier. For all players in Season 1, that Ladder can be found here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/ladders.php?do=view&id=12).
Left click on the name of the player you want to challenge. You will see a pop-up box that looks like this:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/images/tourntut/laddertut4.jpg
Click the Challenge Player option.
You will now see something that looks like this:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/images/tourntut/laddertut5.jpg
Fill in each field with the proper information as you see fit.
Challenger: This is you, you cannot change this field.
Opponent: This is the person you challenged, you cannot change this field.
Date: Enter the date and time you are available for the match here. This is not set in stone, you can negotiate it with the other player later and there is no penalty if it is not fought at exactly that time. This exists mainly to make scheduling with others easier. It is highly recommended that you discuss the date and time with the person you challenge over the Org Forums or on Steam.
Proposed Changes to Rules 9 to 15: If you are interested in modifying anything between Rules 9 and 15, you can state so ahead of time in this field. For example, if you are interested in using Veterans instead of just Classic Mode, you could write, "Will fight with Vets". The person you challenge does not have to agree to these rules, but this is a way of letting that person know in advance that you would be willing to do something different.
Hit Challenge Player. (Bottom right corner.)
If you look at the Upcoming Matches tab, you will now see your Direct Challenge listed as a scheduled match against the person you challenged.

TinCow
06-17-2011, 13:59
A request was made to be able to start match play a few hours early due to time conflicts over the weekend. Since we're less than 12 hours away from the start, this seemed like a reasonable request. As such, I hereby declare Season 1 of the Sengoku Jidai League to be open! Let play commence. Season 1 will close on Monday, July 18th at 00:01 GMT.

As always, contact a Gamemaster if you have any questions or problems. Good luck!

AggonyKing
06-17-2011, 17:25
^_^ anyone that wants to challenge me, please know I'll be on vacation on the next 2 weeks and out of the country, so after July 3rd, then we can play.

thats if anyone wants to challenge me ;)

TinCow
06-17-2011, 20:39
A lot of people seem to be a bit confused by the time/scheduling system that the automated ladder utility uses. To be clear, you do NOT have to fight you battle at the exact time specified in the challenge. I expect there will be a lot of issues with arranging times to play due to the fact that we have players from all over the world. Do not worry about completing a battle at the precise time listed. If you have to, you can fight the battle even weeks later, as long as you're making an honest attempt to schedule the match. After all, you can fight as many matches as you like whenever you want, so there's nothing wrong with delaying one match due to scheduling problems. You're still capable of fighting other matches while waiting for that one to complete.

In addition, there's been a (rather intelligent) request to make the challenge system offer a bit more information about when a person is available to play. I cannot change the actual time/date listing mechanism, so instead I have added an additional comments field to the challenges. The field is titled Extra Time and Date Details, and it works just like the Proposed Changes to Rules 9 to 15. Simply enter whatever information you want about the time/date you are available to play. I'm not sure if this field will be available for challenges that have already been listed, but at a minimum it should appear for new challenges that you make.

JCDC
06-20-2011, 16:39
I have made an open challenge, and got no customers yet, nobowdy wanna fight me?:no:

also, aggonyking, have no fear, i wish to challenge you.

literally, have no fear, i dont play classic battles much.:help:

TinCow
06-20-2011, 17:23
I have made an open challenge, and got no customers yet, nobowdy wanna fight me?:no:

Several SJL players seem to hang out in the STW2 MP Foyer group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/STW2MPFOYER) chat on Steam. It's become a sufficiently standard gathering area that I tend to idle there as well when I'm online. I recommend that all SJL player hang out there while on Steam; if we all gather in one spot while we're online, it will be much easier to set up a match.

JCDC
06-21-2011, 00:27
Lol, made that post too early, i got swamped with battles today.

i was on the wrong end of some the results :(, but i had a lot of fun, way more than i would have in MM. Im really impressed with this league so far, i think the atmosphere is so much more like it should be, players chat to me and are polite before the game, wait until everyone is ready to start and other small courtesies missing in MM usually. the games were seriously competitive, and the tactics were honourable if really nasty sometimes! in the one instance where one of my opponents did something unintentionally that may have infracted the rules, he paused the game and rectified it voluntarily, never seen that before.

And then after the game, regardless of the result people are polite and complimentary and in all cases have stayed around for a steam chat to discuss the results and swap friendly advice and points. all in all, this is how competitive games should be played and are in real life so its great to see it here.

Congrats and respect to all my opponents, defeated and victorious, and to the guys who took the time to make the league.

EDIT. oh one thing, rice fields, we need to expand our horizons, i know its the fairest map, but god is it dull when you have to play on it all day!!!! i know the rules allow people to choose, and that is excellent, but people so far invariably choose rice fields...... its literally putting me off rice.

TinCow
06-21-2011, 01:05
EDIT. oh one thing, rice fields, we need to expand our horizons, i know its the fairest map, but god is it dull when you have to play on it all day!!!! i know the rules allow people to choose, and that is excellent, but people so far invariably choose rice fields...... its literally putting me off rice.

LOL. Well, we may have a tool to help people pick more interesting maps in the near future... but it's still in development at the moment.

TinCow
06-22-2011, 13:54
We've been made aware of a bug which could potentially impact the League, and I'd like to discuss it. As reported to me, in classic battles, if you pay for one chevron, it actually gives you two without charging for the second one. Then, paying for two chevrons doesn't give any extra benefits above and beyond one chevron. So, paying for one chevron is giving more of an advantage than it should, and paying for two is actively wasting money. A couple points on this:

1) Is this true? I cannot find any discussion on it elsewhere (though the .com has been down for a while) and have not had time to go and test it myself.
2) If so, what should be done about it, if anything? One solution is to ban the use of 1 chevron, which would nullify the impact of the bug. However, that seems very nitpicky and this is also an exceptionally minor bug. It would be very easy for someone to forget this rule and get themselves in trouble for using a single chevron and gaining what is, at most, an extremely minor advantage. Another solution is to simply make sure everyone is aware of it when building their armies. If we all know that one chevron gives the benefits of two, and that two chevrons is a waste of money, then presumably everyone would be on even grounds again without the need for an additional rule.

Thoughts?

AggonyDuck
06-22-2011, 14:18
Two cents. 1) Chevrons are generally rather ineffective considering their price and getting two for one is only making chevrons a viable option, not breaking the game. 2) You don't really have to do anything about it. Players are aware of it and the advantages if there are any are minimal.

Bobba-Job
06-22-2011, 20:38
Really good job on this ladder fellas, an excellent system =)

TinCow
06-22-2011, 21:06

Thanks! Now we just have to get more of those 0 game people active so that I don't have to purge them.

UglyJun
06-22-2011, 22:43
what are Chevrons ???

TinCow
06-22-2011, 23:46
what are Chevrons ???

They're the symbols that are used by the game to represent veteran status. One chevron is the equivalent of one 'rank' of veteran status, and the stats of the units improve with each chevron added. They are commonly used in many military organizations to demonstrate rank:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/US_Army_E-2.svg/120px-US_Army_E-2.svg.png

Cu'Roi
06-23-2011, 21:47
this isn't a criticism but shouldn't there be a default game type for ladder matches? if there is one already then sorry i'll try reading better next time.:yes:

if not though may be good to set something to default, and to also include the proposed game type in the challenges.

also, what stops people from just dodging someone by declining their challenges? like accepting all others but declining from specific players? at least maybe when someone declines someone it should be made very obvious to others IMO.

i accept all challenges and will play any game-type, but not all players play like me :).

i also agree that the chevron thing hardly matters, i'm not sure it is a bug btw, i don't really know i never use them, but in ETW and NTW the first chevron would give a morale increase the 2nd wouldn't, the third would.

TinCow
06-23-2011, 22:18
this isn't a criticism but shouldn't there be a default game type for ladder matches? if there is one already then sorry i'll try reading better next time.:yes:

Rules (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?135915-The-Sengoku-Jidai-League-Rules-and-Information&p=2053321886&viewfull=1#post2053321886)

I think what you are talking about is covered by rules 8 through 15 of the SJL rule set.

also, what stops people from just dodging someone by declining their challenges? like accepting all others but declining from specific players? at least maybe when someone declines someone it should be made very obvious to others IMO.

Players cannot decline a Direct Challenge. Not only is it impossible to do inside the utility, the rules specifically state that players do not have the option of refusing a Direct Challenge:

Direct Challenges - Players may challenge a specific person in the same tier. The other player cannot refuse to fight the battle, though negotiations on scheduling are permitted.

If a player uses scheduling issues to dodge a Direct Challenge (and it is clear it's an attempt to avoid the match instead of real time problems), the other player will receive a technical victory. This is also in the rules:

Inactivity - The lack of effort to arrange and complete Battles before any assigned deadline will result in a forfeit of the Match. The competition's Gamemaster(s) will evaluate effort according to the available evidence of attempts to arrange the battle, including posts anywhere on the Org, PMs, logs of Steam chat conversations, etc. A technical victory will be awarded to the team which made a greater effort, or both teams could be forfeit, if neither is considered to have done enough. An extension will only be awarded if both teams show good efforts to arrange the battle, and it is likely to be fought in the near future.

Cu'Roi
06-23-2011, 23:35
i see you are on top of things :)

excellent.

by the way very impressed how the ladder system takes steps to automate the actual scheduling process itself. I haven't been using that but it is very good, and will be worth a great deal if/when the .org begins to host team tournaments. although it could be modified to be better by making time ranges for every day of the week for each player, and possibly repeating (as week to week many players will have the same period free) as a starting point.

like basically i have a rough draft of a step by step method for rationalizing a scheduling process among any given number of participants. which is useful (and in some cases pretty essential) towards getting games scheduled among people in possibly different parts of the world in the most efficient and hassle free way possible.

among adults willing to put in the effort and with a little common sense and living generally in close time zones with one another in 1 v 1, a methodical approach to scheduling is hardly needed. but you start to remove some of those assumptions or increase the format to 2s and 3s games, and a streamlined process becomes more useful.

JCDC
06-24-2011, 00:17

Not surprised you like it, you are bloomin winning!!! and the only one who defeated me 2-0..... :(

Miotsu
06-24-2011, 19:21
Indeed, the structure, the automated system.. it all makes for a ladder that progresses itself with little Admin involment.. .so no hand holding by anyone.. well done.!!!

I agree with the "hang out on steam"... rather than go through the scheduling etc... I have changed my online name to "Miotsu Jidai league" just for the purpose of letting everyone know I'm in the league and quickly identifiable. I also friended everyone in the league so they can also see me as a league player in their friends list.

So many positives about the league but if I had to pick one negative and this isn't a league issue.. it's a game issue..... it's having to play against the same faction. Once melee starts, good luck differenciating between your units and those of your opponent. If they would have had a "quick banner colour change" option.. it'd have helped a lot.!!! maybe not my game.. lol. but at least the appreciation of knowing who's on what side.

Thanks again TinCow for all that you do...

*bows*

TinCow
06-26-2011, 19:27
As per this post on TWC (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=9827491#post9827491), how would people feel about changing the 'default' map every week, to keep things a bit more interesting? Something like:

Week 1: Rice Fields
Week 2: Alpine Hills
Week 3: Wood Settlement
Week 4: Flood Plains

angelofwar12
06-26-2011, 19:28
i think there is a bug in the ladder when 2 player submit score about the same time the system somehow bug out and 1 player need to submit the score again

TinCow
06-26-2011, 19:37
I'll look into it. In the meantime, if you think a score has been bugged like this, just tell any GM. We can all submit the scores manually, which will fix the problem.

AzureTotalWar
06-26-2011, 19:39
I like it. New map a week is cool.

Sense this is ladder, I think we should do best of 1 game. Best of 3 is to keep tournaments fair and balanced. I dont think it is necessary in a ladder where you can just play again. If someone has a problem with losing that one game, play another game and have both count.

I bet more games would be played in this format too ;)

TinCow
06-26-2011, 19:43
I like it. New map a week is cool.

Sense this is ladder, I think we should do best of 1 game. Best of 3 is to keep tournaments fair and balanced. I dont think it is necessary in a ladder where you can just play again. If someone has a problem with losing that one game, play another game and have both count.

I bet more games would be played in this format too ;)

That's a fair point. The easiest option on this might be making the number of matches to be played another one of the 'changeable' rules. 3 would be default, but 1 (or 37) would be fine by agreement.

Cu'Roi
06-27-2011, 12:32
i think he has a good idea, variety in maps is good for more than 1 reason.

TinCow
06-27-2011, 14:33
Alright, well I have yet to hear any disagreement with the rotating default maps idea. I'll set a tentative start date of this Friday for the default map change to start. That will give people more time to note the change and discuss it, plus it will also be two weeks from the start date, so it'll keep the rotation on a normal 1-week schedule, which it wouldn't be if I did it sooner.

Any more thoughts about also making the number of games another 'default' setting that can be changed with player agreement?

spicykorean
06-27-2011, 20:08
We're only allowed one match against the same player in a week. Is the week considered Sunday to Saturday, or Monday to Sunday? Or something else?

TinCow
06-27-2011, 20:10
We're only allowed one match against the same player in a week. Is the week considered Sunday to Saturday, or Monday to Sunday? Or something else?

A week is 168 hours (24 hours x 7). The utility is set up to automatically block challenges between two players until 168 hours have passed since the last one, so if you want to know if you can re-challenge someone, just try and do so. If the utility lets you add it, you're good to go.

TinCow
06-28-2011, 14:01
Ok, as there's still been no single protest, I'm going to make the 'default' map changing an official rule. The actual rule itself has been changed from:

Map - All battles in each match will be fought on the same map, with the choice of map up to the players. If no agreement can be made regarding the map, the map will be Rice Fields.

to:

Map - All battles in each match will be fought on the same map, with the choice of map up to the players. If no agreement can be made regarding the map, the map will be the default map as specified for each Season.

The default maps will then be listed by date and Season, with each map getting about one week of play. As we're already well into week 2 for Season 1, we'll keep the first map in rotation for two weeks instead of one, just to keep the schedule on a relatively stable weekly schedule. The defaults for Season 1 will be as follows:

Friday, June 17 to Thursday, June 30 - Rice Fields
Friday, July 1 to Thursday, July 7 - Alpine Hills
Friday, July 8 to Sunday, July 17 - Wood Settlement

There is still time to change the upcoming default map rotation, so if you would prefer to see maps other than Alpine Hills and Wood Settlement as default, please speak up.

JCDC
06-28-2011, 17:05
rotating the default map. I really like this idea, one of my only gripes with this ladder was the repetitiveness of playing a ladder always on rice fields. so this is a great idea as agreeing on a map choice with your opponent can be hard. i had taken to issuing my challenges with a 'pls not rice fields' condition to aviod it.

i also think the bo1 default might be a good idea too, it certainly will make matches easier to organise as it requires less time, and since its a ladder, you get to play people up to 4 times a month anyway so you really dont need to do bo3 which is afterall only designed to make the results of single showmatches fair. in a league format you are likely to play people 3 times anyway. however, if the level of participation stays at current levels, which i hope it doesnt, bo3 might be good becuase most people wont play more than once each season against a given opponent.

so my stance on the bo3/bo1 thing is to let the season run through with bo3, and review it at the end to see how much people play each other, if they play each other a lot, change it to bo1, if they only play each other once on average, leave at bo3. i think a rule that major shouldnt change mid season anyway. for example i would be 3-2 up if it was bo1, but im 3-2 down. so it is significant to the results.

][GERUDO][ Harba
06-28-2011, 18:53
I think best out of 3 is needed to keep it balanced. Since it is more or less rock paper scissors in selecting your army, and If you select "wrong" and the enemy has a good counter you wont have a chance to redeem yourself in just one match.

spicykorean
06-29-2011, 21:33
[GERUDO][ Harba;2053335079']I think best out of 3 is needed to keep it balanced. Since it is more or less rock paper scissors in selecting your army, and If you select "wrong" and the enemy has a good counter you wont have a chance to redeem yourself in just one match.

The more games, the better. You only get to play an opponent once a week, so make the most of it. :)

AggonyKing
07-04-2011, 17:21
hmm am I doing something wrong? I create an open challenge for anyone but after a while it just disappears :?

TinCow
07-04-2011, 17:29
hmm am I doing something wrong? I create an open challenge for anyone but after a while it just disappears :?

I think it disappears if no one has accepted it when the scheduled time has passed.

AggonyKing
07-04-2011, 18:08
hmm well I just made a new one, will keep track of when it disappears.

TinCow
07-11-2011, 21:59
We are entering the last week of Season One. As per the Rules, after the season is done we will have a one week break. As of this moment, we have a total of 24 players who have completed at least one match. I do not think that is enough to split up into tiers. If we split into tiers, we would end up with 12 in each tier, which will be way too few players available for people to find someone to play. So, the plan for the moment is to keep Season Two as a single ladder just like Season One. If you disagree with this plan, please speak now.

We will also need a new four map rotation for the next set of defaults. If you've got any preferences on this matter, post what you'd like to have included. As always, please do go out and recruit other players. This League will only be as good as the group of players we've got in it, so it's crucial that we increase the number of active competitors. The more active players we have, the easier it will be to find matches.

TinCow
07-18-2011, 15:13
Congratulations to ][GERUDO][ Harba, who has won Season 1 of the SJL with a very impressive record of 12 and 4.

Unfortunately, activity levels have dropped off a cliff over the last two weeks. This whole League is pointless if no one is going to play any games. If you are interested in continuing play into Season 2, please post here and help us figure out how we can return activity levels to what they were during the first two weeks.

AzureTotalWar
07-21-2011, 19:45
Yes. Lets do best of 1 and make the league last 1-2 weeks.

Cu'Roi
07-22-2011, 01:39
you won't be able to return the activity levels of the start of the leagues, it's the life cycle of the game. it's the same reason there is no point in using the foyer, no point in televising matches, and no point in starting team tournaments any longer. i hate to rain on the parade, but if you want a longer game life a lot needs to be done with the base game.

having 6-8 active players at this point would be very good success IMO, so something more along those lines should be the goal.

one way to do this would be to change the default mode from classic to avatar, that could net a couple new players. regardless of the merits of classic (and i believe it does have merits for sure) most players play avatar, by a wide margin. so to me it seems logical to make avatar, not classic the default mode if you goal is more players.

speaking for myself one of the reasons i took my name out of the league was because nobody would play me in avatar, and i don't have the practice/game knowledge to play classic in such a competitive format as the level of play in the league is extremely high (that and i got tired of being asked to play 1 v 1 all the time when i tend to only play 1 v 1s when i feel like it these days).

but i'm not going to rejoin the league due to the reasons i mentioned above, so make what you will of my suggestions. i'm in my MPC phase of the game now heh.

TinCow
07-22-2011, 13:42
Switching over to avatar mode defeats the purpose of the League, which is to provide as close to a level playing field as possible for people to compete. Avatar battles will always be unbalanced, no matter what rules we slap on top of them. If people want unbalanced games, there are plenty of places for them to go to find them. The reason we created the SJL was because it seemed like there was a need and a desire for a competitive format which was based purely on skill.

spicykorean
07-22-2011, 20:46
you won't be able to return the activity levels of the start of the leagues, it's the life cycle of the game. it's the same reason there is no point in using the foyer, no point in televising matches, and no point in starting team tournaments any longer. i hate to rain on the parade, but if you want a longer game life a lot needs to be done with the base game.

having 6-8 active players at this point would be very good success IMO, so something more along those lines should be the goal.

one way to do this would be to change the default mode from classic to avatar, that could net a couple new players. regardless of the merits of classic (and i believe it does have merits for sure) most players play avatar, by a wide margin. so to me it seems logical to make avatar, not classic the default mode if you goal is more players.

speaking for myself one of the reasons i took my name out of the league was because nobody would play me in avatar, and i don't have the practice/game knowledge to play classic in such a competitive format as the level of play in the league is extremely high (that and i got tired of being asked to play 1 v 1 all the time when i tend to only play 1 v 1s when i feel like it these days).

but i'm not going to rejoin the league due to the reasons i mentioned above, so make what you will of my suggestions. i'm in my MPC phase of the game now heh.

I like classic mode and the quality and attitude of players that I got to meet through the SJL and the foyer was outstanding.
There are many clans out there doing regular avatar tournaments, so I think that the SJL feels a needed niche.
My personal reason for quitting the league is that I got bored of playing Uesugi monk spam armies. It felt like every battle was the same army on the same map, and that simply didn't make me look forward to the next match.

Btw what does MPC mean?

TinCow
07-22-2011, 22:18
MPC = Multiplayer Campaign

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
07-22-2011, 22:57
What is the award to this tournament again? :clown:

Cu'Roi
07-22-2011, 23:14
MPC = the greatest innovation in TW since the switch to 3d map :).

yes the attitude + level of play + professional hosting makes the SJL pretty much perfect. the problem is the greater activity levels with the game itself... i don't really see what can be done about that.

what you could do is everyone who wants to support the league put it in their signature on the forums here, at twc, at CA, and on steam. then you sort of have persistent advertising that coupled with the way they are discounting this game could sustain the league, albeit with rather low activity levels.

then you just bide your time until CA makes a new release, whereupon you get 300 new players to the ladder...

m0j0mann
07-28-2011, 03:20
CuRoi's idea seems pretty good. Also, I'm sure there are more decent players out there who would be willing to join. A bit more advertising around the clan forums wouldn't hurt. Secondly, you might want to consider changing the format to increase popularity/activity. From what I hear, most people prefer some form of avatar mode over classic, although I might be wrong on this point.

Lastly, this:

What is the award to this tournament again?

You got any photoshoppers handy making a victory award/sig/graphic for Season 1? If not, I can put together an award template myself....

TinCow
07-28-2011, 04:23
CuRoi's idea seems pretty good. Also, I'm sure there are more decent players out there who would be willing to join. A bit more advertising around the clan forums wouldn't hurt. Secondly, you might want to consider changing the format to increase popularity/activity. From what I hear, most people prefer some form of avatar mode over classic, although I might be wrong on this point.

Well, the rules do allow for avatar mode, it just needs to be agreed upon by both players beforehand.

I don't know the clans very well, do we have some volunteers who are willing to do some advertising rounds?

You got any photoshoppers handy making a victory award/sig/graphic for Season 1? If not, I can put together an award template myself....

All of our artists have been AWOL for a while. I would love you forever if you created something.:love:

m0j0mann
07-29-2011, 01:19
Alrighty then:

https://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff513/m0j0mann/sengokuharba2.png

TinCow
07-29-2011, 14:44
That's superb, thanks!

Would you, or anyone else, be willing to do some rounds to the various clan forums and drum up some interest in Season 2?

AggonyKing
07-30-2011, 20:26
can use the power of steam groups as well, not just going around to different forums :P

m0j0mann
08-05-2011, 02:08
That's superb, thanks!

Would you, or anyone else, be willing to do some rounds to the various clan forums and drum up some interest in Season 2?

Sorry for taking a while to reply, I don't check .org often. (inb4 heresy, blasphemy etc.)

I think I can drum up some substantial interest in season 2. There aren't many active tournaments at the moment (only 2 that I know of) and no new ones on the horizon. Speaking for GERUDO, we have a lot of new members interested in taking part in leagues/tournaments, but there aren't any to join.

I also know people who know people in other clans, and I'm sure they can help as well.

Seriously though, you need to change the rules from classic mode. Almost all the players who I know of that are active in tournaments at the moment do not like classic mode. I would reccomend avatar mode, with possibly some restrictions on vets, and definitely some restrictions on retainers (World Weary etc.).

TinCow
08-05-2011, 13:42
Again, Avatar mode defeats the purpose of the Sengoku League, which was designed (and advertised) as a league for balanced play where player skill alone was the deciding factor. I do not like the idea of doing the opposite with the League.

That said, there's no reason we can't just change the name and do a new league along the lines that you're thinking of. Our automated utility is available for anyone who wants to do it, so if you'd like to get an avatar mode league going, we can do that. I can give you the ability to administer the system like the GMs in the SJL and I'll help you organize it and run it. You're also free to use any portion of our the SJL rules that you would like, and I'll help you restructure the text if that needs to be done. The thing we really need at the moment are people who are interested in taking the lead on running it. I can assist with everything technical and structural, but I'm not an artist and I don't know the community well enough to know who wants what, where to advertise, etc. If you're willing to do some work in organizing it, you can have whatever kind of league you would like.

m0j0mann
08-05-2011, 14:00
Ok, I'll come up with a name/ruleset, and then I'll start to talk to people who might be interested in being GMs.

m0j0mann
08-06-2011, 02:47
Just wondering - is there any way to alter the ladder system so you are only able to make a certain amount of challenges per week?

TinCow
08-06-2011, 04:59
Not with the automated system. All we can do is limit the amount of time between repeat challenge between two people. Anything can be limited in the rules, but something like that would require independent enforcement.

m0j0mann
08-06-2011, 17:23
I see. Thx.

Here are the rules I'm thinking of at the moment:
- No art (Rockets, Cannons, Magonels, Hand Mortars)
- Max 5 veteren units
- Max 6 of the same unit
- No "World Weary" retainer.

I don't see a reason to ban heavy gunners; CA said they are getting a nerf soon anyway. Even in their present form, they are a good counter to loan sword rushes and force players to think more about taking archer units.

Universal rules:

- Best of 1 (unless agreed otherwise by the players(
- Max 5 challenges per week
- Inactive for two weeks = kick

The "max 5 challenges" is to ensure that the tournament doesn't simply reward the player(s) who have the time to play the most battles. It'll also make people think hard about who to challenge. Best of 1 ensures that games proceed quickly, and players who have less time on their hands can participate as well.

Feedback pl0x.

spicykorean
08-06-2011, 20:02
Hmm, if you suggest a max of 5 vets, then why not allow World Weary?

Darren_Shan
08-10-2011, 07:37
yeah, if its ony max 5 vets, ww should be allowed

m0j0mann
08-10-2011, 23:26
Ok that is a good point. CWB seems to function fine with WW and max 4 vets after all.

I'm a bit busy at the moment but I will have everything ready by this weekend hopefully.

Darren_Shan
09-04-2011, 07:19
lol