PDA

View Full Version : I played my first TW MP game ever

Andres
06-06-2011, 08:41
And I had fun :2thumbsup:

Last Saturday, I thought I'd give it a try.

So, I clicked on a "only lower than 6 stars" game, hosted by a guy named "skynet". He had 4 or 5 stars. A nice fellow, friendly, helpful; very different feeling from the usual FPS "n00b!!!" stuff :laugh4:

Played two games against the fellow. I lost, of course. First game I really played bad; I think the AI on normal would have beaten me just as easily. The fact that he had warrior monks, yari cavalry and katana samurai against my ashigaru didn't help either.

Second game was far more interesting. I let him waste his time to take the buildings on the map (what do they do, btw? is it really important to catch them?) and positioned myself on high ground. My archers were ready to butcher his army.

But a human being is not the AI... His bow monks had further reach, so he could shoot at my archers while being out of reach. Grrr.... I used an ashigaru unit to tempt him to waste his arrows on them. The trying to bait each other to move closer, constantly moving troops to gain an advantage took 10 minutes or so. It was pretty intense and interesting. My opponent was pretty patient and so was I. When the skirmishing was finally over, he split his army to attack my position on the high ground from two sides. My ashigaru were no match for his samurai, but all in all, it was a very intense and interesting battle.

The chatting before and after the battles went well. Very friendly, civilised, helpful.

All in all, this was a very pleasant and interesting experience.

A pity RL doesn't allow me to really get into MP, but I'm pretty sure I'll play some more MP games in the near future.

So, if you're looking for easy victories and an easy way to gain some experience points for your avatar, Barondres is my steam name and I'm always available to get spanked by more experienced players :grin:

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
06-06-2011, 18:03
The KoS is coming for you!! :knight: :laugh:

FasT
06-06-2011, 18:55
Best way to learn is plAy the best players/ vets . Get spanked and find ur plAy style and then try to counter and read ur opponents.Whilst improving ur macro and overall game control..
After around 100 games u should b twice as good by then.. ;)

Papewaio
06-07-2011, 09:03
Started playing MP this week. I've got to say that saving close games or ones in which you get thrashed and then reviewing them are a good way to train.

I notice with most of my games I'm micromanaging a few, and the rest are standing around scratching their butts. That and I have a tendancy to send in waves of units. Unfortunately that is waves of singular units at matchlock monks.

FasT
06-07-2011, 10:26
Well, kocmoc trained me 10 years ago! :p
And I learned to use my cav more effective by watching lots of replays of the best ever cav player magyar khan!!! but then again most clan members will help u and give u tips.. ;)
If ur new stick with it.. And get a nice pool of friends to play with.. Unless u want just mm.
Still waiting on next patch could b make or break for many..!!

FasT
06-07-2011, 10:27
And I learned to use my cav more effective by watching lots of replays of the best ever cav player magyar khan!!! but then again most clan members will help u and give u tips.. ;)
If ur new stick with it.. And get a nice pool of friends to play with.. Unless u want just mm.
Still waiting on next patch could b make or break for many..!!

xploring
06-07-2011, 10:48
And I learned to use my cav more effective by watching lots of replays of the best ever cav player magyar khan!!!

Any idea where I can watch those replays? Don't know if I will ever play multi-player because I don't handle losses well, but would still like to watch and learn from the best.

Andres
06-07-2011, 11:12
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but last night, I saw nothing on the battle list. Is this a bug or has this something to do with me living in a small country (Belgium).

I read somewhere (don't remember where exactly) that changing your Steam server (to e.g. Germany or U.S.) could help. Is that true? It's pretty frustrating wanting to play and then not seeing anything on the battle list.

RTKAbu
06-07-2011, 11:51
Hmm, mine is on the benelux aswell and i see a huge battlelist every evening, the bug of regions should have been fixed, i see more games then i ever saw tbh, must be a bug on your system, but of course you could try to change youre downloadregion and see if it changes something.

Jochi Khan
06-07-2011, 16:15
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but last night, I saw nothing on the battle list. Is this a bug or has this something to do with me living in a small country (Belgium).

Andres, this happens quite often. Sometimes just waiting for a few seconds will fill the screen with games.
It has been erratic like this since day one but has been steady now for me for some time.

I read somewhere (don't remember where exactly) that changing your Steam server (to e.g. Germany or U.S.) could help. Is that true? It's pretty frustrating wanting to play and then not seeing anything on the battle list.

That just puts you in another Region where you will see different players listed. (the Steam server is split up into multi regions) Even in the UK we have three regions that I know of. :juggle2:

Have you set up a friends list yet? If so add me ^Jochi Khan^ or put your steam player name here and I will look for you online. It is another option for getting into games by Invite.

Barondres does not show up in a steam search.

Andres
06-07-2011, 16:17
Would that be my Steam friends list or do I need to make a list specifically for S2?

My steam name is Barondres. At work right now, so not online to play at the moment ~;)

EDIT: I take it I can invite my friends from all over the world to play no matter on what steam server I'm currently at (e.g. I'm on Benelux but want to play against a U.S. friend; I just need to invite that friend and off we go?).

EDIT2: there's that public chat thing, but I assume only those on the same region server as me are in that public chat?

Jochi Khan
06-07-2011, 16:43
Would that be my Steam friends list or do I need to make a list specifically for S2?.

Your Steam friends list.

My steam name is Barondres. At work right now, so not online to play at the moment ~;)

Barondres does not show up on a Steam search.
I am normally online from about 21.30 hours UK time or later.

EDIT: I take it I can invite my friends from all over the world to play no matter on what steam server I'm currently at (e.g. I'm on Benelux but want to play against a U.S. friend; I just need to invite that friend and off we go?).

Yes. Just click on add a friend find their name in the dropdown window put a tick in the box and click to accept.

EDIT2: there's that public chat thing, but I assume only those on the same region server as me are in that public chat?

Yes. If there are any names showing in the player list window on the right hand side of the chat windows.
Very often I find that only my name appears in the list. A bug.

Andres
06-07-2011, 16:46
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Barondres/

Or maybe you can't see it because it's a private profile? I'll add you to my friend list once I get online at home. Thanks for the helpful answers :bow:

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
06-07-2011, 20:16
AntiWarmanCake88

Add me.

:yes:

00owl
06-08-2011, 00:58
if you want a chat go to http://steamcommunity.com/groups/STW2MPFOYER and join their group then enter their chat. Lots of good players from this board and others.

Andres
06-09-2011, 09:20
AntiWarmanCake88

Add me.

:yes:

Done :bow:

if you want a chat go to http://steamcommunity.com/groups/STW2MPFOYER and join their group then enter their chat. Lots of good players from this board and others.

Jochi Khan
06-09-2011, 17:38
Added you to my friends list and sent an invitation to join our Steam Group.
Saw you online last night but didn't get a chance to play a game with you.