PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO $6 to $6000 MORE!!!

solypsist
11-20-2000, 13:47
a quick castle seiging tip: if you're playing against the AI and attacking a castle, you've noticed the computer never leavces the castle, no matter what.
you can move your missile troops right up to the gate and shoot right at those pesky guarding ashigaru! but the angle of the approach is not conducive to missile fire, so my suggestion is to take your men off 'skirmish' mode and select 'hold formation'. this lets your men get much closer and sometimes over the slope so they can fire point blank into an enemy that will not move to attack them.

http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif
like the title?

IRONLUNG
11-20-2000, 13:53
NO!

=)

Tachikaze
11-20-2000, 15:45
Not only do they stand there and take bullets from gunners practically rubbing noses with them, the AI ashigaru will die to a man. It tends to tire out your teppos.

Once, a unit did leave the castle. I thought it would engage my gunners, but it marched past them and wandered around the map. After circumnavigating the castle twice, it re-entered and stood right back where it had started.

Did I win $6 or $6000? I'll take a check (cheque).

The Daimyo
11-20-2000, 18:36
Alright, just what in God's name is going on around here?

Gregoshi
11-20-2000, 21:02
Tachikaze,

Maybe they were just inspecting their defenses. And what were you doing while they were walking around the castle (twice!)? http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Gregoshi

solypsist
11-21-2000, 03:23
Hmm...i think somethink like that happened to me too. I had killed everyone in the castle but the game didnt end, only then did i notice some enemy archers had somehow escaped and were hiding around the hill.

and yes, the shooting at castle defenders thing only works for a while since gunners tire easily and not much damage is done considering...which is why archers are preferable.

Tachikaze
11-21-2000, 05:18
Your question made me laugh, Gregoshi.

It was a small siege, and my arquebusiers were firing at a yari ashi unit standing in the gateway (or was it a dell?). There was another yari ashi unit inside. I had a yari ashi unit of my own, waiting to pounce on anyone who dared pass through the gate.

So, my teppos are firing, doing very little damage, getting hungry and homesick, when the second enemy yari unit starts heading towards them, passing through the one under fire. I readied my teppos to fall back, and my yaris to hit their flank.

But as soon as they emerged, they turned right, and headed on down the hill. I started to laugh. I considered charging them from behind, but it seemed best to let them stroll around the countryside while I fought a little two-on-one versus the remaining ashis. By this time, my objective was to take the castle with no losses.

Anyway, by the time the mall walkers had returned, there were only four of their friends left standing at the gate. I watched the walkers pass right by my blokes and reposition themselves precisely where they had been.

My regret was that I wish I had eliminated the first ashi unit before the others returned. I could have occupied the castle, and given the previous residents the boot when they arrived at home.

------------------
A murky puddle becomes clear when it is still.