PDA

View Full Version : Commentarii de Bello Gallico

Pages : [1] 2

Franconicus
07-07-2011, 12:50
„Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam, qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur ...“

Gallia is divided into three parts, Belgae, Aquitani and Celtae. In former time a realm ruled by a Celtic King, it now resolves into hundreds of tribes and clans. Each tribe or clan has several noble families competing for the reign. Every leader depends on his support base, which grows or decreases depending on his personal skills, for example his sense for justice, his strength, his financial power, his visions and so on. Is this base eroding, another nobleman may gain the support of the tribe and the former leader will loose his office – and maybe his life.
But even as long as he is chief, his power is limited. There is no such thing as a standing army. To repel an invasion, the warriors of the tribe have to be called to arms. If the chief wants to invade foreign territories, he has to motivate the warriors, as the service is voluntary. So it is plain to see that a chief should be inspirational.
Celtic warriors are known for their fighting furore, often causing panic amongst their enemies. They are wild and strong men, but you should not expect things like discipline, steadfastness or patience. The chance for easy prey may enthuse them, but hunger may dispirit them rapidly.
Between the tribes there is a system of patronage: clans and smaller tribes try to get under the patronage of a mighty tribe, which protects them and supports their interests. The stronger a tribe is, the more smaller tribes gather under his patronage and more grows his power base.

During the last decade, the three strongest tribes tried to dominate Gallia: the Aedui, the Arverni and the Sequani. The Sequani, allied with the Arverni, needed help in their fight against the Aedui and found allies on the other side of the River Rhenus. A king of the Germanic Suebes and his followers crossed the river and helped them to reprehend the Aedui. However, they had to give almost one third of their territory to reward the Suebes, and today many Sequani wonder how to get rid of these allies.

The Aedui were allied with the small Roman colony in southern Gallia, called “The Province”. However, the Romans did nothing to help them in their struggle against the Sequani, Arverni and Suebes. Romans were mainly known as traders, especially on the route to the British Islands. Romans were smaller than then the Celtics and weaker. Their soldiers normally did not dare to fight man against man, they preferred to hide in close formations. Nevertheless, Romans are hard to fight. But during the last years, conflicts were rare, as the Romans did not care what was going on in the north.
This changed, when Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus and Aulus Gabinius were Consuls at Rome and the Province got a new proconsul named Gaius Julius Caesar. The Helvetii decided to leave their home in the Alps and to move to Gallia. For some reason Ceasar decided to prevent this, he followed them. After a military victory he slaughtered many of the Helvetii and sent the rest home.
All augurs agree that this campaign will have big impact on the balance of power at Gallia. However, the intentions of the Roman proconsul are still uncertain.

Franconicus
07-07-2011, 12:54
The first phase of the game begins. Pick up the faction you would like to play and send a post, telling everybody, that you are the chief now. You will receive info and rules later.

Remi (Swordsmaster)
Nervii (Warluster)
Aedui (Azunti)
Arverni (AggonyDuck)
Sequani (AI)
Venetes (KingKurt)
Sotiates (Mr Stuka)
Suebes (ELITEOFKWARMAN88GINGERBREADMAN)
Allobroges (Ignoramus)
Catuvellauni (Arjos)
Eburones (King Jan III Sobieski)
Romans (Kagemusha)

REMI

The Remi were a Belgic tribe of north-eastern Gaul (Gallia Belgica). They occupied the northern Champagne plain, on the southern fringes of the Forest of Ardennes, between the rivers Mosa (Meuse) and Matrona (Marne), and along the river valleys of the Aisne and its tributaries the Aire and the Vesle.
Their tribal capital was at Durocortum (Reims, France) the second largest oppidum of Gaul on the Vesle. Allied with the Germanic tribes of the east, they repeatedly engaged in warfare against the Parisii and the Semones. They were renowned for their horses and cavalry.
A founding myth preserved or invented by Flodoard of Reims makes Remus, brother of Romulus, the eponymous founder of the Remi, having escaped their fraternal rivalry instead of dying in Latium.

Nervii

The Nervii were an ancient Germanic tribe, and one of the most powerful Belgic tribes; living in the northeastern hinterlands of Gaul, they were known to trek long distances to engage in various wars and functions.
Julius Caesar considered them the most warlike of the Belgic tribes. He says that their culture was a Spartan one: they would not partake of alcoholic beverages or any other such luxury, feeling that the mind must remain clear to be brave. He also says they had no trade or merchant class of any kind, which would lead to the assumption that they had no currency, and were probably not a very rich or economically developed people.

Aedui

The country of the Aedui is defined by reports of them in the ancient writers. The upper Loire formed their western border, separating them from the Bituriges. The Saône formed their eastern border, separating them from the Sequani. The Sequani did not reside in the region of the confluence of the Doubs into the Saône and of the latter into the Rhône, as Caesar says that the Helvetii, following the pass between the Jura Mountains and the Rhône southwards, which belonged to the Sequani, plundered the territory of the Aedui. These circumstances explain an apparent contradiction in Strabo, who in one sentence says that the Aedui lived between the Saône and the Doubs, and in the next, that the Sequani lived across the Saône (eastward). Both statements are true, the first in the south, and the second to the north.
According to Livy (v. 34), they took part in the expedition of Bellovesus into Italy in the 6th century BC.

Before Caesar's time they had attached themselves to the Romans, and were honoured with the title of brothers and kinsmen of the Roman people. When the Sequani, their neighbours on the other side of the Arar, with whom they were continually warring with, invaded their country and subjugated them with the assistance of a Germanic chieftain named Ariovistus, the Aedui sent Diviciacus, the druid, to Rome to appeal to the senate for help, but his mission was unsuccessful[

Arverni

The Arverni were a Gallic tribe living in what is now the Auvergne region of France during the last centuries. Their most important stronghold was Gergovia, near the present-day commune of Clermont-Ferrand.
The Arverni had once been the most powerful tribal hegemony in Gaul during the 3rd and 2nd centuries BC under their king, Luernios, but when his son (or grandson) Bituitus was defeated by the Romans in 121 BC, their ascendancy passed to the Aedui and Sequani. Unlike the Allobroges, who were brought under direct Roman rule as a result of the Celtic wars of the 120s, the Arverni negotiated a treaty that preserved their independence, though their territory was diminished. No further Arvernian kings are mentioned in the historical record, and they may have adopted a constitutional oligarchy at this time. However, there were at least two later attempts to re-establish rulership. The defeat of the Arverni led directly to the establishment of Gallia Narbonensis as a Roman province, referred to simply as the Provincia so often that a part of the ancient region is today known as Provence.
The King Luernios was mentioned in writing by the Greek ethnographer Posidonius. Luernios was known to have scattered gold and silver coins to his followers while riding in his chariot. Under Luernios, the Arverni was at the head of a formidable Gallic military hegemony which stretched from the Rhine to the Atlantic coast.

Sequani

Sequani, in ancient geography, were a Gallic people who occupied the upper river basin of the Arar (Saône), the valley of the Doubs and the Jura Mountains, their territory corresponding to Franche-Comté and part of Burgundy.
Before the arrival of Julius Caesar in Gaul, the Sequani had taken the side of the Arverni against their rivals the Aedui and hired the Suebi under Ariovistus to cross the Rhine and help them (71 BC). Although his assistance enabled them to defeat the Aedui, the Sequani were worse off than before, for Ariovistus deprived them of a third of their territory and threatened to take another third, while subjugating them into semi-slavery.

Veneti/Venetes

The Veneti were a seafaring Celtic people who lived in the Brittany peninsula, which in Roman times formed part of an area called Armorica
Other ancient Celtic peoples historically attested in Armorica include the Redones, Curiosolitae, Osismii, Esubii and Namnetes.

The Veneti inhabited southern Armorica, along the Morbihan bay. They built their strongholds on coastal eminences, which were islands when the tide was in, and peninsulas when the tide was out. Their most notable city, and probably their capital, was Darioritum (now known as Gwened in Breton or Vannes in French), mentioned in Ptolemy's Geography.

The Veneti built their ships of oak with large transoms fixed by iron nails of a thumb's thickness. They navigated and powered their ships through the use of leather sails. This made their ships strong, sturdy and structurally sound, capable of withstanding harsh condition of the Atlantic.

Sotiates

The Sotiates were a Celtic people who lived in Aquitania.

Suebes

The Suebi of Julius Caesar's De Bello Gallico live in 100 cantons of arable land, of which each canton retains ownership, parceling farm lots to individuals to use for up to one year. They wear animal skins, bathe in rivers, and prohibit wine. They allow trade only to dispose of their booty and otherwise have no goods to export.

They are of a military disposition, drafting yearly 1000 men per canton for service of one year. With these troops they raid Gaul on the other side of the Rhine river frequently, thus involving Gaul's protector, the Roman Republic, whose agent in the field is one of its greatest generals, Julius Caesar. Lacking a central government and disrespecting all authority, they rely on the services of war chiefs, who in the age of migrations will become Suebian kings.
As to their location, they live next to the Cherusci, which places them between the Rhine river and the middle Elbe river. Their innermost refuge is Silva Bacenis, "Beech Wood", which various authors take to be some section of the Hercynian Forest, such as the Thuringian Forest, the Harz Mountains or the Black Forest. In ancient times Germany was heavily forested and these three forests were more or less continuous. They could not have farmed the forests, however, leaving the Main River bottom and the upper Elbe as the only possibilities.
Before the arrival of Julius Caesar in Gaul, the Sequani had taken the side of the Arverni against their rivals the Aedui and hired the Suebi under Ariovistus to cross the Rhine and help them (71 BC).

Catuvellauni

The Catuvellauni were a tribe or state of south-eastern Britain before the Roman conquest. Their territory was bordered to the north by the Iceni and Corieltauvi, to the east by the Trinovantes, to the west by the Dobunni and Atrebates, and to the south by the Regnenses and Cantiaci.

The Catuvellauni may be related to the Catalauni, a people of Belgic Gaul attested in the region of Châlons-en-Champagne. The name itself is derived from the Old Brythonic catu - wellauni meaning "battle chieftains" or "battle leaders". This ultimately derives from the Proto-Celtic "catu", battle, and "wali", to lead.

Allobroges

The Allobroges were a Celtic tribe of ancient Gaul, located between the Rhône River and the Lake of Geneva in what later became Savoy, Dauphiné, and Vivarais. Their cities were in the areas of modern-day Annecy, Chambéry and Grenoble, the modern departement of Isère, and modern Switzerland. Their capital was today's Vienne. The first recorded reference to the Allobroges is from the Greek historian Polybius in 150-130 BC. He tells how they unsuccessfully resisted Hannibal when he crossed the Alps in 218 BC.
In 123 BC, the Allobroges gave shelter to king Tutomotulus (or Teutomalius), of the Salluvii tribe Rome had conquered and refused to hand him over. Rome declared war and moved against them. On August 8, 121 BC legions of Quintus Fabius Maximus defeated them and forced them to submit; Maximus earned a moniker Allobrogicus for this feat.

Skullheadhq
07-07-2011, 13:18
„Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae...“
Where are the strongest then?

Franconicus
07-07-2011, 13:52
Remi and Nervii are tribes of Belgae. :bow:

AggonyDuck
07-07-2011, 14:08
I will take over the Arverni, if that is fine with everyone.

Kagemusha
07-07-2011, 16:47
I, Gaius Julus Caesar, proconsul of Rome and Governor of Gisalpine Gaul,Transalpine Gaul and Illyricum, salute all of you my friends.May there be peace and good relationship between the Senate and Republic of Rome and you all. If you have any problems of any sort.Do not hesitate to contact SPQR, as Rome will always help their friends.

Caesar

Peasant Phill
07-07-2011, 18:29
I wanted to claim the Nervii as it's the only one I know on that list.
Because of this comic (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cIeQz-6iHs8/TO1Ii-BZWHI/AAAAAAAAAHo/Yp07KlLvhfs/s1600/69+nerviers.jpg)

I'll settle for the Remi, as the other 'Belgian' tribe.

Azunti
07-08-2011, 04:29
May I have the Aedui please?

Peasant Phill
07-08-2011, 11:24
Welcome Azunti, it's great to have a new member at these parts. These IH's always seem to draw from the same pool of members.

More blood for the blood god and all that.

King Kurt
07-08-2011, 12:12
Put me down as the Ventes - I shall strike like the wind

King Kurt
07-08-2011, 12:19
Franc

I assume that you mean the Veneti from Britany? - I have just Wikied them and I am trying to work out how I managed - with no knowledge what so ever - to choose the only Gaulish tribe to take on Ceasar on the sea!!

I must just be subconsciously drawn!!

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
07-08-2011, 14:51
Who the hell are the Suebes? :laugh4:

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :book:

Azunti
07-08-2011, 15:08
Phil: Thanks! Im excited to play!
Kurt: I believe so.
Warman: The Suebi are Germans from across the Rhine that gave Rome a lot of trouble, but basically the story goes: the Arveni and Sequani attacked the Aedui and the Suebi helped them in exchange for some of the Sequanis land. Then, they slowly encroached upon the Sequani until Rome had to do something about it...

I have no idea what the Sotiates are, though.
Franconicus: Disclaimer: Before you go making me a historian or something, I only know most of this for spending about an hour and a half reading wiki articles.

07-08-2011, 17:37
Guess I have to buy Caesar's memoirs now. :laugh:

Franconicus
07-08-2011, 18:28
Welcome Azunti! It is good to have a humble historian here.:clown:
Not every player would be so smart to look at Wiki :book:

More blood for the blood god and all that.
Yes - I WANT MORE BLOOD!

More players are needed. More, more, more!

Kage-san, you as a content manager, can you tell me whom to ask for an announcement i the whole org?

all: Anybody here willing and able to help me with maps. Not a lot to do, but I am totally unable :stare:

Peasant Phill
07-08-2011, 18:45
Sure, what is it you want exactly?

07-08-2011, 20:00
I be back on Monday by the way :yes:.

The Celtic Viking
07-08-2011, 22:11
May I jump in as the Sequani?

07-08-2011, 23:08
I will take over the Arverni, if that is fine with everyone.

There goes the neighborhood. :laugh4:

I, Gaius Julus Caesar, proconsul of Rome and Governor of Gisalpine Gaul,Transalpine Gaul and Illyricum, salute all of you my friends.May there be peace and good relationship between the Senate and Republic of Rome and you all. If you have any problems of any sort.Do not hesitate to contact SPQR, as Rome will always help their friends.

Caesar

:creep::sweatdrop:

Mr. Stuka
07-09-2011, 05:51
I'll jump in as the Sotiates- whoever the hell they are. A google search only came up with: "Defeat of the Sotiates: 56 B.C." ...grim tidings m'lord

Prince Cobra
07-09-2011, 07:47
GAH! I fell in love with this IH the moment I saw it. But I will probably be heartbroken because I do not have the time to particpate. I must bury myself in a cave for that! I will follow the IH, though, and you can rely on me if you need some advertisement around the Org. ~:) :bow:

Franconicus
07-09-2011, 13:01
Welcome on bord, Celtig Viking and Mr Stuka! :bow:

Kagemusha
07-09-2011, 17:12
I have posted an advertisement about the game in the news section.:bow:

Here is also a map. Do we need something better then this? It shows where the tribes are and key locations also.

https://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6797/mapgalliatribestowns.th.png (https://img708.imageshack.us/i/mapgalliatribestowns.png/)

Arjos
07-10-2011, 19:53
If there are still spots left, I'm in as the Katuwellaunoi ^^
Ready and waiting at Uerlamion (should be Wheathampstead, but dunno its Keltic name XD)...

Mr. Stuka
07-10-2011, 21:09
heh, kinda hard to find myself on that map :tongue:

Kagemusha
07-10-2011, 21:29
British isles:

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/images/ukmap_large.gif

Gauls and Germans:

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/images/gaul_large.gif

Ignoramus
07-11-2011, 04:49
Allobroges!

Franconicus
07-11-2011, 15:38
Alright, I guess there are enough players to begin. I put some info at post #2 about the factions. I am still working on rules and goals, but I think you can already begin to negotiate about coalitions and hostilities.

Sure, what is it you want exactly?
I think we need a map with the three parts of Gallia, plus southern Britannia and the Roman Provincia. All factions should be marked as well as citties, rivers and if possible, roads.

Arjos
07-11-2011, 16:40
Kassiwallaunos, Bren of the Katuwellaunoi, ordered to intensify hostilities against the Trinovatoi, leaving on his chariot with a mighty host...

Before departing he entrusted prominent men of the tribe, bards and druids, to enter negotiations with the Atrebatoi, in a kinship spirit between Belgai: wishing for them to act as mediators with the mainland brethrens to consolidate trade and offering a Pan-Belgic alliance, promising to assist against any foe soon as the Trinovatoi were to fall...

The Bren also sent his most distinguished diplomats to set sail with merchants towards the land of the Uenetoi (KingKurt), offering an increase to trade and a naval military pact of co-operation...

07-11-2011, 21:38
I need info of the military :clown:.

Arjos
07-11-2011, 22:24
I'll skip the roman one as I think is quite known...
Just few infos about Germanic and Celtic warfare:

The common view for the germanic tribes regarding military actions was centered on the raid, it was conducted by small bands from villages each with its own leader...
They all usually responded to the warband chief, who was also the tribe's chief; the goal of the raid was to acquire loot and gain fame within the tribe and among all tribes...
Also when the tribe moved for an open battle, the women, the elders and children followed...
When the germanic folks engaged in battle they resorted to infantry wedge formations, with the chiefs always up front; they also opted for series of ambushes by day or night in forest areas...
Cavalry was limited, but by this time started to abandon its skirmisher role for a heavy shock troop...

The Celtic world, especially in the mainland, on the other hand was starting to get more and more urbanized: oppida developed once again and people gathered in a single huge settlement, where administrative and economic life took place...
This affected the military bringing more troops in the form of levies, this brought more influence on the spear and less "champions' confrontations"...
But as a tribe gained wealth and a more solid organization, it could muster superior noble forces, better equipped, on foot and mounted...
These troops, even though capable and highly trained, couldn't be replaced within one generation time...

Insular Celts, still had a less urbanized society, which respected, and sometimes worshipped, champions and heroes...
Open warfare was characterized by cattle raids and aristocratic champions, usually moving on chariots, which engaged in smaller forces...
The south of Britain, had by this time developed into a more organized society, similar to the continent's, but it still held those ancient values of heroic warfare...

Mind you all this is my very limited knowledge, I'm by no means an historian...

As an overall these 3 "world" were quite similar and shared a common ancestry, they were regional evolutions of the same values and concepts...
In a way the germanic way represented the primordial step of chiefs caring for the family and by extension the tribe, leading by example; the insular's was the mid step towards urbanization and the continent's one was the very beginning of this last phase...

Franconicus
07-12-2011, 15:42
:yes:

By the way, Brennus passed away! He had to go on a personal raid through Gaul.
Warluster will take his tribe. :creep:

07-12-2011, 16:05
Yay, Warluster is back!!

Kagemusha
07-12-2011, 18:21
AVE!

With the reacent turbulence in Gallia, caused by the attempt of mass migration of Helvetii. I Gaius Julius Caesar, proconsul of Rome, invite all the Chief´s and Warlord´s of Gallia, Germania and Britain to conference at Gallia Transalpina. The conference will be held at city of Narbo Martius.
Caesar bid´s you all wellcome there to negotiate, so the future of us all will be a better one and peace at Gallia can be guaranteed.

Caesar

https://img398.imageshack.us/img398/1843/spqr7or.jpg

Kagemusha
07-13-2011, 13:55
To add something. If you do not trust your safety to come in person, please send a representative and please publically announce if you are coming or not.

- Nameless Roman scribe.

AggonyDuck
07-13-2011, 14:36
The Arverni will participate to hear what the Romans have to say.

Chief Vergincetorix

07-13-2011, 15:42
The Suebi will participate in such a meeting.

Chief Ariovistus of the Suebi

Arjos
07-13-2011, 16:05
Kassiwalaunos will not attend and finds it outrageous to gather in roman territory...
Assemblies were always held on sacred grounds, under druids' supervision, asking to come to Narbo, in complete negligence of tradition, is something no free Kelt could bring himself to do!

Franconicus
07-13-2011, 18:05
First of all, happy birthday, Caesar! :balloon2:

Second: I hope to give you numbers and rules at the end of the weekend. Just one comment before: At the time of J.C. (Julius Caesar) modern communication means were not commenly used. One feature will be, that you have to meet someone, if you want to discuss things or send him a messanger. :creep:
The meeting innitiated by JC is the first phase of the game and a good chance to get to know each other :clown:

Arjos
07-13-2011, 18:21
Well guess those diplomats sent to the Uenetoi, can go and hear what he has to say, but the Bren in person is out of the question...

Azunti
07-13-2011, 19:06
Diviciacus will attend this meeting on behalf of the Aedui.

King Kurt
07-13-2011, 19:53
The Lord of the Venti is pleased to annouce that he will be sending envoys to the Roman council. Besides diplomacy, they will be acredited to discuss trade with all those peoples with access to the great sea who wish to strike up trding relationships with us - the Lords of the foamy brine.

Mr. Stuka
07-13-2011, 21:20
Representatives of the glorious Sotiates will attend this gathering.

Arjos
07-13-2011, 21:40
Kassiwalaunos, Bren of the Katuwellaunoi, ordered to intensify hostilities against the Trinovatoi, leaving on his chariot with a mighty host...

Before departing he entrusted prominent men of the tribe, bards and druids, to enter negotiations with the Atrebatoi, in a kinship spirit between Belgai: wishing for them to act as mediators with the mainland brethrens to consolidate trade and offering a Pan-Belgic alliance, promising to assist against any foe soon as the Trinovatoi were to fall...

The Bren also sent his most distinguished diplomats to set sail with merchants towards the land of the Uenetoi (KingKurt), offering an increase to trade and a naval military pact of co-operation...

Gotta bump my other post, important matters there :P

Warluster
07-13-2011, 22:21
Unarmed messengers of our tribe will participate freely in this assembly of warlords. We would warn this Roman warlord himself that any act of violence against any man of Gaul and its tribes will be viewed extremely negatively, without exemption.

We will also send a messenger to inquire as to the nature of a 'pan-Belgic' pact, as described by the warlord of the Catuvellauni.

Boduognatus of the Nervii,

07-14-2011, 00:45
Unarmed messengers of our tribe with gifts to our friends will also attend the meeting. I fully trust that Julius will protect our messengers during this great meeting. We will also send men to see about any trade deals with fellow tribes. No acts of aggression though can be put against our men however.

Chief Ariovistus of the Suebi

Arjos
07-14-2011, 14:28
The Katuwalaunoi envoy reported the Bren wishes for the alliance as follows:

All members must recognize Kassiwalaunos' authority over the Isles, while at the same time he respects the mainland's chiefs, declaring he'll never expand in other lands.
This will confer to any Belgai tribe in Pritannia the status of protected tribe; as for the mainland the Bren hopes to form a war council made of all the members' chiefs, which will elect annually among them a Kingetorix (warriors leader), to whom every chief must answer.
All administration will remain untouched and every community is free to organize itself; the foremost goal of this alliance is to protect all its members.

Once there'll be a common acceptance to this pact, Kassiwalaunos hopes every chief will swear an oath to the gods in a nementon (sacred grove), where the first council will take place.

Franconicus
07-14-2011, 16:00
The free peoples of the Trinovantes and Cantiaci sign a treaty of friendship. Both are not able to attent the conference, but they send gifts of friendship to the people of Rome and their Porconsul.

The most noble and mighty Belgian tribe of the Eburones is not going to join the conference.

The Menapii declare, that they haven't heard of any Caesar and they do not care about what is going on in the south!

The Attrebates will send agents from both clans, from the island and the continent.

The chiefs of the Carnutes, Namnetes, Parisii and Treveri will attend the meeting.

Kagemusha
07-14-2011, 18:59
AVE!
Roman Senate and people are happy that such a large number of Gallic, Briton and Germanic Lords are coming to our meeting. We are missing only few tribes and their responses. Namely: Remi, Sequani and Allobroges. If you would be so kind to inform us about your participation, so the rest of us may begin the talks.

Roman messenger

Ignoramus
07-15-2011, 02:06
The Allobroges will be at Narbo Martius. We welcome this chance for discussion between the tribes.

Chief Catugnatus.

Peasant Phill
07-15-2011, 11:20
The Remi are wary about these talks. Nevertheless, an influential member will attend.

Kagemusha
07-15-2011, 18:17
One missing.

Roman messenger

Franconicus
07-16-2011, 10:56
From the warlord of the Treveri:

Where are the Sequani? Are they already eaten up by their Germanian allies?

And what by Teutates are the Allobrogoes doing at the confernece. I thought this was a meeting of free Gauls, not Canes Romanis.

Arjos
07-18-2011, 00:01
We need rules Franconicus ^^

Franconicus
07-18-2011, 14:53
Rules:
1) There are four turns per year: spring, summer, autumn and winter.
2) You send me your orders at the beginning of each turn.
3) You can do your diplomacy with other warlords, make treaties, declare war etc. You can announce things in the thread or keep it secret.
4) You play not as a tribe, but as a historical person. This means that you can go on playing, even if your people is wiped out. You lose, if you die, even if your army is victorious.
5) You win if you fulfill the conditions for victory. Each player gets some. They are similar, with minor differences.
6) You are not a dictator. All tribes have a the political concept of oligarchy. At the moment, you are on top. But things can change. So you better keep your people satisfied.
7) With the exception of the Romans, the players do not have armies. If there is war, you have to call your warriors to arms. If you are attacked, you can count on them. If you want to invade, you have to motivate your men to come and fight. You cannot rely on full strength.
8) Money has not much importance for the Gauls. Some of them, which are trading with Rome, know the pleasure of Mediterranean whine, others do not care at all. Money may keep your people happy, that is all. Of course, things are different for the Romans. The income is the income of the tribe, not of the chief. If you take all, they may look for another chief.
9) Food: Of course, food is essential for the happiness of your people and for the moral of your army. Keep an eye on this.
10) Communication: Ancient Gaul did not have means of modern communication. Therefore, I would like to build hurdles in this part. Every player can communicate directly only with others if they are at the same place. However, there are two other options. The player can send letters, but only one per turn. Or he can send agents, which he must hire from the org.-people. These can visit other tribes and discuss with them.
11) You will soon find out that the game is unjust, esp. against you. This is a basic law in Interactive History, not personal! And it has nothing to do with the ignorance or fiendishness of the moderator. So be brave and do or forget that it is misery, that discovers the genius of the commander.

Info about your strength and your goal is in progress! :creep:

Arjos
07-18-2011, 15:55
I'm new to the interactive history play, how long is a turn in RL time? And how is decided the outcome of a battle?

Franconicus
07-18-2011, 18:10
The time for a turn variies, depending on how active the players are and how much time they need.
Before the first round there is this meeting, which is very important for the game, because it gives you the chance to communicate without limitations - so get to know each other and make friends and enemies. I think this event will give the game its direction. So chose your friends and enemies and work on your strategy.
The battles: They will be done according to the setup and the orders of the players, decision will be made by me, depending on my own secret calculation plan and my current mood.
If there will be a good chance and a big battle, I wonder if I try to make the battle also round based with more influence for the players.

I know that you still need the numbers (population, warriors etc). I am busy working on that. However, I caught a bad cold, got loads of rl work and my computer is getting slower and slower. :dizzy2:

Peasant Phill
07-18-2011, 19:32
It all looks pretty standard except:

[B]... Or he can send agents, which he must hire from the org.-people...

Does this mean we have to find another member to act as a diplomat or am misinterpreting?

Arjos
07-19-2011, 02:01
Don't worry Franconicus, I'm just curious and excited lol
Take your time and take care of yourself ^^

The Celtic Viking
07-20-2011, 17:06
So this Roman, Julius Caesar, wants all the 'all the Chiefs and Warlords' of Gaul, Germania and Britain to meet him, unarmed, on Roman soil, all at once? Makes one stop to think.

Still, if all else will be there, the Sequani would not be the ones to shy away. I will be there on my tribe's behalf; lets just hope his intentions are as clean as he makes them out to be.

Kagemusha
07-20-2011, 18:39
Conference of Narbo

The talks begin. Caesar enters the hall,accompanied by several other Roman. In the hall the representatives of various tribes have gathered, in wait for the talks to begin. Caesar sits down at the end of the table and begins his opening speech:

"Warlords and Chieftains, Ave!

Rome welcomes you all to this meeting and i have to say that i am personally very glad that so many of you have decided to honour us with your presence. No matter how the meeting will end and how you reply to our suggestions, Caesar will guarantee that your personal safety is guaranteed and that you will have safe return to your home.

"Before we start. I would like to introduce you some of my Legion commanders to you:

Titus Labienus, aka Fisherking , commander of Legion X Equestris

Quintus Tullius Cicero, aka Csargo, commander of Legion XI Claudia

Publius Licinius Crassus, aka Andres, commander of Legion VIII Augusta

Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus, aka GeneralHangerchief, commander of Legion VIIII Hispana

Quintus Titurius Sabinus, aka Husar, commander of Legion XII Fulminata

After the reacent Helvetii disturbance (1). I have thought of ways how to present a resolution to many problems in Gaul and why not in Britain and Germania. I am about to give you all an offer and before i do so. I would like to make it clear that this offer is an open one, so if you cant accept it now.You may reconsider it later.

As many of you know. In the Roman province of Gallia Transalpina, many Celtic tribes live inside the realm of SPQR. Some of those tribes are present here also now. As first and foremost upon them are the Allobroges, ruled by our good friend, Chief Catugnatus. They live under the protection of Rome and the term we use for it. Is a protectorate. Similar arrangement will be made for the remnants of Helvetii also, as we do not wish for them to perish completely even while they erred against Rome. Such is the leniency of the People and Senate of Republic of Rome.

Now what does a protectorate mean, you might ask? Being a Roman Protectorate will mean that you will get an trade agreement with Rome. Thus all the products of Rome and mediterranian will be available to you. Second. Rome will guarantee your safety against any invaders. Third. When you go to war as allies of Rome and send warriors to us, as Auxilia.Rome gives you full share of the loot and bounty to you, based on the number and strength of the warriors you send for our aid.

Thus.If you will become a Protectorate of Rome. You will become rich from loot, wealthy from trade and you do not have to live in fear as Rome will protect your lands.

Now, what Rome wants in return? Each protectorate will pay tribute to Rome, so we can better provide security and build roads and other so the trade will flow better. Protectorate will allow Roman Legions to camp on their land, while Legions will pay them a market prize for any supplies they need. When called upon, each protectorate will send Auxilia troops to help Rome in war. This usually means that the War is near to you already. What else? Nothing.

You will continue govern your lands as you please, like Allobrages and dozen or so other Celtic tribes are doing at Gallia Transalpina and Rome will not interfere your internal affairs unless those matters threaten Rome.

This is all. How say thee? Now the word is free for you to use.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/image.php?groupid=160&dateline=1310667733
(1)= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bibracte

Arjos
07-20-2011, 21:03
Quite a fine display of cunningly forcing one's rule to people, without earning the right to...
The Katuwellaunoi's embassy is here merely as observers, if Roma wishes to trade, then so be it, but free Keltoi shall rule themselves with no restrictions!

Kagemusha
07-20-2011, 21:19
To the representatives of the Catuvellauni:

"This is a fair opinion you have. If you do not need the help of Rome. We will not force our help to anyone."

Caesar

07-20-2011, 22:27
To Casear:

This sounds great on paper but what is stopping you from taking us over if a war breaks out and we assist you and your forces march though our lands to get to the foe? That is the primary concern. However, I would be more then happy to trade with your people.

Ariovistus of the Suebi

Warluster
07-21-2011, 02:45
Great warlord Caeser,

Your finely spoken words will be a sharp relief for much of Gaul - your words of peace and prosperity are heartening for such a war-torn land. We would request that we take time to consider your proposal, considering it is a momentous and tempting decision. We do have some queries for both the Caeser and the Senate.

As has been mentioned by other representatives how can you promise us fair rule, and justice within our lands? The grand armies of Rome would find some enemies abroad, and the promise of having our lands untouched and not ravaged would be heartening - and add to your weighty proposal. Having a council of Roman advisors/observers who reside in the capital would add to our confidence in these promises.

Secondly the Auxillia bands we would promise to send you - these men have grown up within our tribes and we hold each life dearly. A similar promise of respect would have to be granted and kept to, as well as minor steps backwards, such as having our own commanders in some of these bands and perhaps independant companies within the grand army?

Once the Republic has answered these questions, we would request time to consider this proposal, as warlord Caeser must surely sympathesize with. Meanwhile we would embrace the offer of trade warmly and offer open borders and gates to any Roman who happens to wander as far north as us.

Messenger of the Nervii tribe
Representing Warlord Boduognatus

Azunti
07-21-2011, 05:29
Procounsul Caesar,

The Aedui and Romans have for a long time lived in harmony. Rome has protected and traded with our people for generations, and in return, we have sent our own men to aid you as well. Furthermore, we thank you for intervention against the tyrant Orgetorix, who led his people astray. As such, an agreement would be on a natural course with our current relations. However, we would like to hear more before we commit ourselves to any agreement. How many troops would we be required to provide? How much tribute, and in what form of payment? And we would also like to make sure that, should our lands house a Roman Legion, they would not sap our resources so thin as to endanger our own people.

Lastly, one more thing catches us off guard. In your agreement, you state that our troops would only be called upon if "the War is near to you already." However, you also claim we will become "rich from loot." Although raids are a source of income, I would by no means call it "rich." One would be lead to believe then, especially due to your choice of the word, "war,"
that you would believe that a full scale war would be coming to Gaul soon. Now, as far as I see, we Gauls are content without large scale engagements. I hope you merely misunderstand our culture due to your run in with Orgetorix, who seemed intent on migrating all of the Hevetii peoples. Otherwise, I might fear a forthcoming Roman invasion.

On behalf of the Aedui people,
Diviciacus the Druid
(I will actually be playing as Dumnorix, I just figured it would be more accurate to send Diviciacus to this council.)

Franconicus
07-22-2011, 11:25
Numbers at the beginning of the game:

A) Foodproduction in 1.000t grain per year
B) Total Population
C) Infantry
D) Cavalry

Remi...........A) 21....B) 70.000...C) 30.000...D) 500
Nervii..........A) 12....B) 40.000...C) 15.000...D) 200
Aedui..........A) 40....B) 120.000..C) 45.000...D) 5.000
Arverni........A) 40....B) 120.000..C) 45.000...D) 5.000
Sequani.......A) 15....B) 50.000....C) 19.000...D) 1.000
Venetes.......A) 20....B) 50.000....C) 20.000...D) 0
Sotiates.......A) 18....B) 40.000....C) 15.000...D) 0
Suebes........A) 18....B) 90.000....C) 39.000...D)1.000
Allobroges....A) 10....B) 25.000....C) 8.000.....D) 2.000
Catuvellau....A) 21....B) 70.000....C) 29.000...D) 1.000 (chars)[/B]

Suessiones....A) 30...B) 100.000...C)39.000...D) 1.000
Atrebates Bel.A) 7,5..B) 25.000.....C) 9.500....D) 500
Viromandui....A) 4,5..B) 15.000.....C) 5.000....D) 0
Eburones .......A) 21..B) 70.000.....C) 30.000..D) 0
Menapii..........A) 4,5.B) 15.000.....C) 5.000....D)0
Aulerci...........A) 6,6.B) 22.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0
Carnutes........A) 12...B) 40.000.....C) 13.000... D) 2.000
Namnetes.......A) 7....B) 22.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0
Parisii.............A) 12..B) 40.000.....C) 15.000....D) 0
Treveri............A) 21..B) 70.000.....C) 28.000...D) 3.000
Veragri/Seduni..A) 21.B) 70.000.....C) 30.000...D) 0
Cautil...............A) 6...B) 20.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0
Trivobantes.......A) 14.B) 35.000.....C)14.000...D) 1.000
Mandubii...........A) 4...B) 12.000.....C) 5.000....D) 0
Segusiavi ..........A)4....B) 12.000.....C) 4.000...D) 1.000
Senones............A) 4...B) 12.000.....C) 5.000...D) 0

This is the complete list of all tribes in this game. Please note that the Mandubii, Segusiavi and Senones are friends of the Aedui. Eburones are protected by the Treveri.

[B]Peasant Phill, could you please make a map with all of them?:balloon2:

Food: This si your annual production in a grain unit. Every person consumes abot 300 kg per year. If there si not enough, people will become unhappy!
For campaigns or garrisons abroad, this is what you have to supply for soldiers:
6 kg per week for soldiers, 70 kg per week for barbarian cavalry, 90 kg per week for Roman cavalry. Before the new harvest, all old grain is reduced by 50%. The remaining part can be used in the new year. The numbers can be reduced by bad weather, destruction etc..
Money: I decided to keep money simple: There are some tribes with some income, mainly from the trade with Rome. These are: Allobroges, Arverni, Aedui, Sequani, Senones, Parisii Veneti and Catuvellau. The Suebes have some money from the tribute they get from Aedui. These tribes spend their money in better arms and luxury (oh this red wine!). If you really need money, you can either make more trade, invade your neighbors or sell slaves. But money does not matter much for the Gaul/Germanians/Britons). It is a diffrent story for Rome and I will send Kage special conditions.
By the way, selling a slave (grown up, not too old, good condition) will bring 500 sestercii. A Roman soldiers costs 100 sest. per year payment. Recruitment and equipment takes 500.

Franconicus
07-22-2011, 12:52
At this point, a dark haired warlord of the Suessiones stood up to make his speach. His words come slowly and it seems as if he has more experience with his battle axe than with speaches:
My Roman friend, I am glad to be at this meeting and hope that the good friendship of Romans and Celtii will lead to a new age of wealth. We, the mighty tribe of the Suessiones, would welcome this. Which does not mean that we forgot how to fight - if it is necessary.
Next speaker is a priest of the smaller tribes of the Carnutes. He seems to be more experiences in rhetoric:
"Celtii, Bretonii, Belgii and Auitanii, we all heard the words of the Roman and we, the Carnutes, were pleased, when he talked of peace and wealth. Because we like the idea of a free Gallia, with a common peace and wealth for everyone. And therefore, we were very curious of the idea of this foreign man. Then he began to talk about protection, military service and prey. Now his words began to taste different, a tatse of war and slavery. This made us worry. Therefore I would like to say to this Roman, that we would love to hear more about his peace and wealth, and we would like him to explain where the prey should come from in this vision of peace."
At the end of this day, many chiefs meet to discuss informal and to drink huge amounts of apple wine. At this occasion, the tongue of the Suessioni warlord becomes quicker and quicker as he begins to tell tales of the proud Gaulish campaigns against Rome. Further more there was some fighting between men from Aedui and Suebes, but the Roman guard ended them quickly.

Kagemusha
07-22-2011, 13:24
After few hours absence from the negotiations.Caesar returns to the hall. Checks with his scribes and starts to talk after few minutes od trying to get attention from the now bit toxicated crowd:

My friends,

The custom among the tribes is if i am not completely misundersttod your ways, for men to join strong clans, Clans joining strong tribes and tribes joining strong confederations. Have i understood this perfectly wrong?

I ask you my friends. Which is a stronger tribe then The Senate and People of Rome? The lands of Rome stretch from the sunrise to sundown. Still do we raid our samller Celtic neighbours? No we do not. Our goal is for men to live in peace and prosperity, not war. But like we have shown few times. Rome is ready for a brawl if someone will break the peace, we hold so dear.

To those who ask why i talk about military service, loot and blunder. I ask you men: Is there peace at Gaul? Has there ever been peace at Gaul? Maybe one of the druids can tell me if there is an record of peaceful days at Gaul, Germania or The Isles?

I am not bringing war to Gaul. The war is here already. I am an practical man and want peace, but i am prepared for War. I know that the Helvetii , will not be the last ones to threaten Roman peace, so if i would offer you a dream of peace and peace only. Would i not be lying to you? What i offer is friendship and protection both during peace and War. That makes me practical, not a warlike.

Can you see my point in this?

Franconicus
07-22-2011, 15:53
The warlord of the Suessiones roars:
What comes to your mind, cock of a Roman? Do you think we are powerless wrecks, like the dogs of Allobroges at your side. Since you defeated some homeless tribes from the mountains you think you can act the big shot? Never forget Brennus, who defeated your capitol. There are many like this hero and you we can teach you a lesson whenever we like to.
I tell you one think, boy from Italy, go back to Rome, where you belong to and where you are out of danger. Do not dare to talk with men any longer. Run and flee your misery, foolish Roman. Run and leave Gallia!

Kagemusha
07-22-2011, 16:36
Caesar burst into a laughter and yells to the servants:

"Bring that man best wine we have! Chief of Suessiones has just proven my words right!Chief, will you be King of Gaul? Would you like to be one? I like you Celts.You say what you think and never back down. You have spine. The same thing i look at when i choose my Legates. Some are optimates, but some are not. To Caesar ability is lot more important then bloodline. Chief of Suessiones, will you drink a toast with me? Men like you i would always like to call my friends!"

Arjos
07-22-2011, 17:01
A Pritanoi Druid, accompanying the Katuwellaunoi, took the word:

"Noble Caesar, as a carrier of history I must speak to you, there's war in Gaul true, but that's the nature of things. I recall great turmoil in your Republic aswell, brothers killing eachother in your most sacred capital too! Romani brought war into what you call Narbonensis few generations back, do not twist the past and the presence, otherwise the gods' wrath will descend upon you"

07-22-2011, 17:07
As a sign of good will to all, my fellow tribes and the Romans, I wish to give everyone a gift to take home with them to not only remember that the Subei tribe can be friendly as well as strong, but to remember this great meeting!

Art. of the Subei

Mr. Stuka
07-22-2011, 17:51
The representatives of the Sotiates sit, huddled in a corner. They whisper as they discuss Caesar's words and their fellow tribe's actions. A decision is made:
"The mighty Sotiates have no need of you Roman's warriors or trade. We rule ourselves, and will no foreign tribe put their warriors in our lands! And this trade, you just seek to spread your influence among us, softening us. Our mighty tribe must refuse your proposition Caesar." The representative sat down.

Arjos
07-22-2011, 18:37
Kassiwalaunos, as the meeting in Narbo took place, marched towards Camulodunon with 20.000 foot warriors and 500 chariots...
Keeping close to the Tamesas, the war host was ready to meet with the Trinovantoi in open battle!

Azunti
07-22-2011, 19:25
Ariovistus,

You can take your "gift" back where you got it. Its likely poisoned anyhow, you son of a she-dog! Begone, for there is no place in the lands of Gaul for you!

Diviciacus the Druid

Procounsul Caesar,

As my fellow Gauls have confessed, we resent your claim that we are inferior to Rome. We Gauls are mighty and always have been! And the alliance between the Aedui and Romans has been mighty as well. Still, the Aedui people do not wish to take such a step as suggested by you. We are a strong, proud people, and are capable of handling ourselves. Still, I wish not to sour relations with Rome. Our upcoming fight against Ariovistus and the tribes that have fallen under his sway is a fight Id like to see Romans alongside our proud warriors.

Diviciacus the Druid

Azunti
07-22-2011, 20:00
The Suebes have some money from the tribute they get from Aedui.
OOC: Wait a sec, has the Aedui-Suebi/Sequani/Arverni conflict already happened? If so, most of what I had said would be different.

Kagemusha
07-22-2011, 20:08
Caesar, looks with interest towards the druid representing Aedui and says:

"So you wish not to to be our friend and protectorate, but you would like us to help you fight Suebi, who has gained a title from Roman senate, a friend of Rome. What do you mean?"

"Where did i say you were inferior to us? Roma does not think Celtii as inferior.Rome is just not anymore the village Brennus sacked. Everyone must take a stand. Now you have an opportunity for it.That is what i am representing to you all."

"To Sotiates. That is a honest word of a honest man and like said before.If you reject our offer, no harm will come to you from it."

"Catuvellanous. If some of the British tribes will claim protectorate of Rome. You will not conquer them, or you will have war with us. If we had the naval forces to defeat Carthage.Do you think your naval power will stop my legates from coming into British isles?"

Arjos
07-22-2011, 20:22
As Azunti said, can we have a time frame of when we are atm please? :)

Kagemusha
07-22-2011, 20:32
This is not official but how i understand the date is just after the Roman defeat of Helvetii, im sure this is so complex, that franc has hard time creating everything, but i agree.we need dates.

The Celtic Viking
07-22-2011, 21:53
OOC: Yes, a date would be good. Whether Caesar has defeated Ariovistus yet is obviously of great importance to me as the Sequani, and influences my response here.

07-22-2011, 21:58
OOC: Wait a sec, has the Aedui-Suebi/Sequani/Arverni conflict already happened? If so, most of what I had said would be different.

Um Yeah, I'll give you some time to figure that stuff out :yes:.

07-22-2011, 23:38
Ariovistus,

You can take your "gift" back where you got it. Its likely poisoned anyhow, you son of a she-dog! Begone, for there is no place in the lands of Gaul for you!

Diviciacus the Druid

Procounsul Caesar,

As my fellow Gauls have confessed, we resent your claim that we are inferior to Rome. We Gauls are mighty and always have been! And the alliance between the Aedui and Romans has been mighty as well. Still, the Aedui people do not wish to take such a step as suggested by you. We are a strong, proud people, and are capable of handling ourselves. Still, I wish not to sour relations with Rome. Our upcoming fight against Ariovistus and the tribes that have fallen under his sway is a fight Id like to see Romans alongside our proud warriors.

Diviciacus the Druid

Diviciacus,

Are you that desperate to destroy my tribe? Are you that desperate that you will try to get Rome to attack me in conjunction with your armies? What is next? The Arvenni and the Sequani? And by the way, get your information correct you pig before you start speaking rubbish.

Ariovistus of the Suebi

Arjos
07-23-2011, 06:59
I've found a blank map, with basic geography, which looked nice to fill in for political boundaries...
Only problem, I don't know why, colours got altered and are a bit weird :D

Also, Franconicus, can you tell me what tribe is this? So I can add it to the map...

Cautil...............A) 6...B) 20.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0

The map is to give a general idea of the territories, I tried to be as accurate as I could...

https://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9349/debellogallico.gif

If Phill can make a better one, I will remove this asap...
It's handy because I can refill borders at any time, but I only have paint sorry ^^

Edited with all tribes, get more players so we can add more! :D

AggonyDuck
07-23-2011, 10:04
The Arverni representative speaks up:

We are a proud people and cannot accept the terms presented by the Roman proconsul. We are warriors and can defend ourselves against any threat. It would shame us all to cower behind the legions of Rome. If Rome wants our friendship, then Rome should be willing to treat us as equals.

Franconicus
07-23-2011, 15:00
The story begins right after Ceasar's victory against the Helvetii. This victory marks not only the beginning of Caesar's campaign, it also demonstrates the military power of the Romans. The Romans killed hundred thousands, men and women and tought a lesson to all Gaul.
After the battle, the historical Caesar invited all Lords to a meeting to show that the balance has changed and that he was willing to care for Gaul and that every further change would have to be approved by the Romans.
I thought this was a good starting point.
Caesar went on making war right after the conference. Some of the Gauls were his allies, some were his enemies, some were neutral.

Anything else you need?

Arjos, thank you for the map. It will be very helpful!

Arjos
07-23-2011, 16:12
No problem, also if I got the year right, it should be around 58 BC, so it's correct to have the Suebi established in part of the Sequani territory...
Let me know if you need me to add any other tribe, and if you can please tell me who are the Cautil :)
If anyone, with a better knowledge about boundaries than me, finds an error I'll fix it straight away...

Franconicus
07-23-2011, 19:24
Sorry, I meant the Cantii or Cantae, a Briton tribe near Kent.

Azunti
07-23-2011, 23:32
Ariovistus:

Your tribe is encroaching on our lands, you tyrant. Go back across the Rhine where you belong, and leave the Gauls alone. I would wish you no harm if you didnt have your eyes on the lands of Gaul to be your own! Begone from here! You are no friend of the Gauls, only a bully come with his own overly ambitious claims!

Diviciacus

Procounsul Caesar,

We wish to be your friend and ally of course, like we have had for generations. The Aedui are very grateful of the friendship we share and both sides have benefited from the alliance through the years. The only thing is, we wish not to become a protectorate.

We would hope that, despite your recent declarations of friendship with Ariovistus, that our long lasting alliance would be of more import to you, and thus you would help us defend our lands from the encroaching tyrant. After all, it is they who plot to attack us and break the power balance of Gaul, not the other way around. The Aedui would gladly welcome Rome's warriors, who would gain much of the spoils in return. I should surely hope that Rome would honor its previous agreements and join us in defense of our peoples. Am I wrong in believing they would?

Diviciacus

Warluster
07-24-2011, 03:37
Warlord Diviscicus and Warlord Ariovistus,

As a observer of this arguement I would ask both parties to keep their aggression in check. The harsh words exchanged have more a chance of stirring up war then ambition ever would. I applaud Caeser's attempts to deal peace to Gaul, and would remind all fellow warlords, in the spirit of tribal comradeship, that encouraging anyone to raise war would not be advantageous to any party.

Warlord Boduognatus,

Franconicus
07-24-2011, 08:38
Besides the official part of the conference there is a new rumor, telling that thousands of Suebi from Germania cross the Triboci (Rhine) to join their brothers at Gallia.

The Celtic Viking
07-24-2011, 16:19
The Chief of the Sequani, who had sat down quietly listening, now finally arose to speak.

Boduognatus speaks sense here, or rather he would have, if he had not forgotten that war is already in Gaul. As we speak, Ariovistus and his men are occupying our land, raping our women, stealing our food and our wealth, and have reduced many of my people into slavery. As long as he stays in Gaul there will be war, whether someone calls for it or not! For there to be peace, Ariovistus must either leave of his own accord, or be made to leave by force. Seeing how he has brought thousands of more warriors into Gaul just recently, I don't think there is much hope for the former, so it would appear that the only way to secure peace is, ironically, by means of war.

Finding myself in sharp agreement with Diviciacus and the Aedui should be evidence enough for anyone of how serious this situation is. Caesar, prove to us all that peace is really what you want for Gaul, and get Ariovistus out. The Sequani will of course aid you in this, with warriors and supplies, and we will be your allies and continue our trade with you which has been so prosperous for us both. But we have no more intention to become your protectorate than the Aedui do.

Arjos
07-24-2011, 17:55
"Full Deployment in Pritannia"

While the continent is still uncertain on what actions to take, war rages in Britain...

Kassiwalaunos with the main army of 20.000 warriors and 500 chariots, heads towards Camulodunon of the Trinouantoi; close followed by a smaller force of 9.000 and 500 chariots, marching south towards Durouernon of the Kantioi...

With Agrona, the river goddess of carnage, the Bren is eager to meet his enemies!

07-25-2011, 15:49
Edited as per request of Kagemusha.

Kagemusha
07-25-2011, 18:00
I can confirm that The Suebi has accepted becoming protectorate of Rome, thus they will have what we have offered. The same offer is reached to others as well. The decision is yours.

Caesar

07-25-2011, 18:53
To the surprise of many, Ariovistus has made the long journey in secret to the meeting site and has just entered the room surrounded by bodyguards,

To the Warlords of the Aedui and the Sequani,

Yes, we have accepted Rome's Offer. We have did it not only to increase the prestigious nature of our clan, but to protect ourselves also. I have received word that a attempt was made on the Nervii Warlord Boduognatus. One of his guards was killed but he was unharmed. The assassin was a Treveii assassin I was told in conjunction with what my own people have found out on their own. I am shocked that someone who borders me would do it to a friend of our clan.

What are you planning on doing Sequani and Aedui? I do not want war. I do not want to fan the flames of anything. I am trying to secure the peace of my people. I will defend my land with all my might and will not make offensive war if needed to take over someone because we feel like it, only defensive war to protect my people.

Ariovistus of the Suebi leaves the room with his bodyguards.

Azunti
07-25-2011, 22:25
As Diviciacus closed the missive that was given to him moments before, his demeanor changed. But, between Ariovistus' encroachment into Gaul and Rome backing him up, war was indeed coming. The message was right. Something had to be done.

Immediately, he began scrawling a message for one of his attendants to take post-haste on horseback to Warlord Dumnorix in Bibracte. Making sure he knew to travel with the utmost speed, he turned his attention back to the forum. Taking a moment to gain his strength from his ancestors, Diviciacus stood up and began to speak.

Gauls! Great warlords and druids of our people! We are in danger!

It has become apparent to me that, with the Suebi falling under Rome's sway, that Gaul is in danger from outsiders! Right now, Ariovistus is violating the lands of Gaul with his Germanii, stealing from the mighty Sequani. And, instead of supporting their long-lasting allies, the Romans now support this tyrant. Such an alliance could topple the very way of life of the Sequani and of Gaul itself. The Gauls must stand together!

I have received a missive from another Gaulic Warlord present today, and his advice is wise. We Gauls are not Romans, nor should we pretend to be. Although the Germanii will sell themselves to them, we can stand mighty, a culture united against foreign influence- and we must, or we will fall swiftly, divided as we are, to the foreigners.

And so I propose a counter-agreement to Rome's offer. One also of peace and trade, but additionally one without a far-off foreign government having domain over us. I propose the Gauls unite!

Each of our tribes have a republic of their own, so why not expand on the idea? We should form a Gaullic League; a group of like-minded Gaulic tribes offering free trade, open borders, and a defensive alliance headed by an elected Warlord.

What say you, mighty leaders of Gaul? Will we let the outsiders conquer us one by one? Or will you stand with the Aedui against these invaders?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As Diviciacus completed his speech, intently waiting on a response, his messenger made all haste to Bibracte- carrying an important note in hand for the Warlord of the Aedui, Dumnorix...

My great lord Dumnorix,

Ariovistus has become a Roman lapdog. With the union of these two powers, I have suggested a Gaullic League to counter-balance this power bloc of foriegners. I send you this message just in case I am retained at Narbo. Prepare our warhost- a war could very well be coming.

Your loyal Druid,
Diviciacus

Arjos
07-25-2011, 23:18
The Katuwellaunoi appreciate Diviciacus' resolve, seeing how the Aeduoi were friends of the Romani...
The Bren welcomes such League and wishes to inform that Pritannia will supply grain; military help will be considered after our internal quarrels were to be brought to a conclusion...
Finally the embassy left Narbo with these words, giving a special look towards the Swebozez: "Be ware of the Divide et Impera"

Kagemusha
07-26-2011, 11:36
Caesar listens the words of the Aedui druid with interests and replies:

"The representative of Aedui. Your words do not make sense to me.

As far as i understand it was the Sequani and Arverni who called the Suebi to Gaul to fight Aedui in not too distant past as part of their war effort against Aedui. It was the Suebi who turned the tide of war in favour of Sequani and Arverni. As the victors of that war, Suebi claimed third of the Aedui land. Placing themselves between Aedui and Sequani. Now the Aedui and Sequani have joined hands to attack Suebi. Which side is the agressor here, The Aedui and Sequani who want to attack Suebi, or Ariovistus and Suebi who want to protect their new lands? And one last question. How will protection of Rome towards the Suebi against agressors, will make this a problem of whole of the Gaul?

How i see this is that the problem is the agressive standing of Aedui and Sequani. They seem to be the agressors in this case, not the Suebi trying to protect their lands.

The speech of Catuvellauni representatitve does not surprise me one bit either. At the same breath he accuses Rome of being a threat to Gallia, while they are attacking their own neighbours at the same and were demanding Belgae tribes to become their vassals.

To me it is the problem makers that are trying to pose SPQR as threat to Gaul, while is it not quite obvious that the major threat is actually coming from those very people themselves?

Azunti
07-26-2011, 18:03
(OOC: Wait wait wait, I thought that conflict had not happened yet.)

Kagemusha
07-26-2011, 18:11
(OOC: The Aedui versus Arverni, Sequani and Suebi conflict happened apparently before Caesar became the governor of Gallia Transalpina, so im quite sure it has happened. The Caesar´s war against Suebi started when Ariovistus defied his authority, while it seems things are going into completely opposite direction at this one. ;))

Arjos
07-26-2011, 18:31
We, Katuwellaunoi, demanding tribes to become vassals? HA!
The only one treating others as inferiors it's you Caesar, our offer to all the Belgai brothers, which is still open, was to be equal and respect eachother's domains...
How you have turned a freedom loving folk like the Swebozez in subordinates, saddens us all!
Moreover it appears that a learned man such as yourself, can act only in the shadows, deceiving everyone; farewell...

Kagemusha
07-26-2011, 18:44
Caesar.Watches as the Catuvellauni leave, without answering to their insults. Only mutters few words to a scribe.

Azunti
07-26-2011, 18:50
(OOC: Well poop. I was under the impression they happened at the same time... Ill have to figure out how to reply after work.)

Kagemusha
07-26-2011, 18:53
(OOC: Dont worry as this is only the starting conference for the game. You can change your decisions.Nothing has been set to stone as of yet.)

07-26-2011, 19:25
I think my Roman friend has said everything that could be said. We help you, and this is how Suebi is repaid?

Ariovistus of the Suebi

Caesar listens the words of the Aedui druid with interests and replies:

"The representative of Aedui. Your words do not make sense to me.

As far as i understand it was the Sequani and Arverni who called the Suebi to Gaul to fight Aedui in not too distant past as part of their war effort against Aedui. It was the Suebi who turned the tide of war in favour of Sequani and Arverni. As the victors of that war, Suebi claimed third of the Aedui land. Placing themselves between Aedui and Sequani. Now the Aedui and Sequani have joined hands to attack Suebi. Which side is the agressor here, The Aedui and Sequani who want to attack Suebi, or Ariovistus and Suebi who want to protect their new lands? And one last question. How will protection of Rome towards the Suebi against agressors, will make this a problem of whole of the Gaul?

How i see this is that the problem is the agressive standing of Aedui and Sequani. They seem to be the agressors in this case, not the Suebi trying to protect their lands.

The speech of Catuvellauni representatitve does not surprise me one bit either. At the same breath he accuses Rome of being a threat to Gallia, while they are attacking their own neighbours at the same and were demanding Belgae tribes to become their vassals.

To me it is the problem makers that are trying to pose SPQR as threat to Gaul, while is it not quite obvious that the major threat is actually coming from those very people themselves?

07-26-2011, 19:26
(OOC: Well poop. I was under the impression they happened at the same time... Ill have to figure out how to reply after work.)

(OCC: Don't worry, I made similar mistakes in my first IH years ago!)

The Celtic Viking
07-28-2011, 14:12
Like the Katuwellaunoi, I will not waste my time and degrade myself as well as my tribe by continue to partake in this charade. No, we are not willing to exchange one oppressor for another, and would rather die fighting as men. At least that way we will pass into the afterlife with our honour intact.

Before I go, though, I think I should announce my support for this Gaullic League, and I encourage all tribes to join it for the sake of our common survival.

The Sequani chief leaves.

Andres
07-28-2011, 15:05
Publius Licinius Crassus is listening very carefully to the debates, from time to time looking at Caesars' back and nodding almost unnoticed.

07-28-2011, 16:03
How long will this stage last Fran, by the way :)?

Azunti
07-29-2011, 00:30
Where you misunderstand, Caesar, is that this alliance never said it intended to attack the Suebi or anyone. In its very terms, it states it is a defensive alliance, simply meant to preserve the Gaulic way of life from any foreign influence. Many Warlords across Gaul have contacted me, including the Sequani, and they realize that they made a mistake to invite Ariovistus to our lands.

As it stands now, Ariovistus has not only invaded my lands but seized the lands of the Sequani, who they called an ally. They are wrongfully usurping any lands they decide they want, and they are supported by you now. Though we will not make war, we Gauls will unite should you, Ariovistus, or any other foreigner attempt to violate lands or our way of life in the future.

I cannot speak for the Sequani or Catuvellauni, Caesar, but I will not leave this forum so I may speak on my peoples behalf. We mean you nor Rome any harm, this alliance is merely to prevent violation of Gaulish ways. The Gaulic League is content with peaceful relations, but we will have no toleration from any further foreign encroachment, and will fight like beasts if provoked to defend our homes.

It is to you, Caesar. Shall it be peace? Or war?

Arjos
07-29-2011, 01:36
How long will this stage last Fran, by the way :)?

Yes, give us bloooood please XD

07-29-2011, 14:44
Oh, my dear Sequani and Aedui. I do not make war willingly on anyone. My tribe prefers to be left alone.

I,Ariovistus, am also heading back to the relative safety of my tribe. However, before I go, I will leave gifts for everyone, including even the Aedui and Sequani. You two will get special bear furs I have had my hunters harvest for you. The Romans,Caesar, will receive a variety of great gift. The Nervii Warlord/diplomats will receive special gifts as well for the trade and military agreement that was formed between our tribes. I also hope their leader recovers from the attempt on his life by the treached Treveii assassin.

As you can see, I am a peaceful person. I have made friends with Casear and the Nervii, I reach my hand out in friendship to other tribes, even the Sequani, but if it is only you,Aedui, and the Sequani that wishes to be hostile, so be it.

Good day gentlemen!

Ariovistus

Ariovistus leaves with his bodyguard leaving only 2 emissaries.

Franconicus
07-29-2011, 17:23
1) We can end the meeting as soon as you finished your job. At the end of the conference, every player should have a strategy and the coalitions he needs. Kage is the host, so he may end the conference!

2) Every barbarian faction gets the same condition for victory:

You win if you control Celtae and two other provinces out of Belgae, Aquitani and the Roman Province.

3) Next turn is 3rd quarter of the year when Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus and Aulus Gabinius were Consuls at Rome. Later, historians will call this Autum of the year 58 before Jesus Christ, but that is far from now. So the harvest is in and you could do some campaigning before winter.

When this turn begins, you have to decide, where your leaders goes to. This will have concequnces on the diplomacy and the moral of your troops. And you can announce the names of your (human) agents - like the Roman already did.

4) Is there anybody who would like to help me with calculations? :book:

Franconicus
07-29-2011, 17:58
The chief of the Atrebates from the island stands up:
I watched this for a long time, maybe too long. It seems to me as if everybody is cooking and nothing is in the pot. I want to talk about a real threat and I mean the island. Catuvellauni are about to start a war and I urge them to stop. This is not the way to unite our people!

Finally the leader of the Suessiones stands up. He shakes his head and says:
All this talking is vane, I say. I just want to warn everyone here, Romans, Germanians and Celticae. If anybody should get ambitions to disturb the peace at Belgae, he will regret it. We will assist every Belgian tribe that needs our help!:stare:

Arjos
07-29-2011, 22:44
The disguised member of the Katuwellaunoi, who remained at Narbo, reached the Atrebates to report the Bren's thoughts:

Since the tumultuous times in the past, when Belgai moved to Pritannia in search of new life, journey that you Atrebatoi took aswell, tribes from the isle opposed us and disrupted an otherwise peaceful coexistence...
As warriors we must respect their decision and meet them in the open; to the gods the decision of who is the strongest and fittest to rule in order to bring wealth to the people...

- Ignoramus, please clear space in your PM box, need to send you one :)
- Franconicus, I can help you with calculations, also I wanted to ask: how can we interact with the "non-playable" factions? Will you decide on your own or we can speak to you in their behalf?

Kagemusha
07-29-2011, 23:05
The disguised member of the Katuwellaunoi, who remained at Narbo, reached the Atrebates to report the Bren's thoughts:

Since the tumultuous times in the past, when Belgai moved to Pritannia in search of new life, journey that you Atrebatoi took aswell, tribes from the isle opposed us and disrupted an otherwise peaceful coexistence...
As warriors we must respect their decision and meet them in the open; to the gods the decision of who is the strongest and fittest to rule in order to bring wealth to the people...

- Ignoramus, please clear space in your PM box, need to send you one :)
- Franconicus, I can help you with calculations, also I wanted to ask: how can we interact with the "non-playable" factions? Will you decide on your own or we can speak to you in your behalf?

Catuvellauni

Even writing to my protectorate will be viewed as act of war.Do you want challence the Roman might treacherous islander?

Kagemusha
07-29-2011, 23:12
Caesar stands up.

"Ave! We have talked many days. Now i want to have real answers from every tribe present.Will you accept Roman proposition or not?There are different terms decided on private, but say your words to the one who saved you from helvetii,or leave.

In the same time Caesar asks for all the tribal chiefs now bit hungover to the balcony,where they can see thousands and thousands roman legionaries completely still and with movement of caesars arm they start to march, line after line. their feet sounding like thunderstorm.

Arjos
07-29-2011, 23:20
Is that what being a roman vassal means? Total lack of freedom, that won't allow people even to communicate?!
You can rest assured that we had no intention of writing to the Allobroges, we were sending an emissary to speak to them...
You may not know that at Viennai, their oppidon, there's a major healing sanctuary dedicated to Borvo, the Bren's druids wish to visit it one day in the future; to make it a centre of medical learning...

07-30-2011, 02:00
I think it's best not to anger Caesar! :balloon2::stare:

07-30-2011, 02:09
I am going to be gone for a few days. When I come back..........

Cya next week sometime!! :yes:

Franconicus
07-30-2011, 18:59
- Franconicus, I can help you with calculations, also I wanted to ask: how can we interact with the "non-playable" factions? Will you decide on your own or we can speak to you in their behalf?

The non-playable factions are lead by me. You can get in contact with them, you can ally with them or attack them. They will behave in an appropriate way to defend their interests, but they will not be very active. They do not have the goal to rule the world - err - Gallia.
If you want to negotiate, just contact me.

Arjos
08-01-2011, 03:38
"Samonios closing by"

The year is ending and to celebrate the birth of the new one, the Bren would like the Carnutai to hold a general assembly of free Keltoi, in which we can all discuss the roman intervention and to give voice to every tribe's feelings on the matter...
Obviously Kassiwalaunos will attend to speak freely to all the chiefs...

This is to be held at the very beginning of the new turn...

08-01-2011, 18:23
Ariovistus is asking that all of the Germanic tribes come to the capital of the Suebi for a conference with the Suebi regarding the future of the Germanic clan, which is now under threat by the Treveii and it's vassal. All Germanic tribes please pose if you are attending.

Franconicus
08-01-2011, 18:26
The Druids from the Carnutes refuse to host the meeting Bren suggested.
The Carnutes see no reason to offend their Roman neighbors.
Furthermore, it seems to them, that the threat does not come from the Romans, but from Bren`s agression against his neighbor on the island - free Keltoi like himself! :no:

Arjos
08-02-2011, 02:25
Well no offensive action took place yet, and that was a display of prowess...
Seeing the Ogmioteriam Odemorix (The Great Gallic Council) cancelled, serves just to show how we Keltoi can't unite unless threatened...
As a Keltos I must look forward unity, should this not come, as a Bren I must provide for my tribe...
My utmost desire is for all tribes to make that leap of faith, should that happen we Katuwellaunoi will not step out of our borders...

08-02-2011, 16:54
So... how's everything. :book:

Franconicus
08-05-2011, 18:15
Alright, let's start the massacre!

First turn starts at Monday. It is autumn 58, then.
Please post if your player will not be at home. Agents, if not introduced already, should be announced then.

Please note also, that during this turn, you may only send one PM to each other player or AI-tribe.

Once you are ready with diplomacy, send me your orders.

To speed up the game: There are rumors that someone tried to murder Ariovist, the leader of Suebii. Ariovist blames the Treveri, which deny. However, there are also rumors that the assassination was tried by aan internal rival of Ariovist. Lately, opposition grew rapidly as many noble Suebii think that the Suebi receive tribute, but never pay it!

Arjos
08-05-2011, 19:42
Good news ^^
Is it a problem if you are agentless? :D

08-06-2011, 00:05
Alright, let's start the massacre!

First turn starts at Monday. It is autumn 58, then.
Please post if your player will not be at home. Agents, if not introduced already, should be announced then.

Please note also, that during this turn, you may only send one PM to each other player or AI-tribe.

Once you are ready with diplomacy, send me your orders.

To speed up the game: There are rumors that someone tried to murder Ariovist, the leader of Suebii. Ariovist blames the Treveri, which deny. However, there are also rumors that the assassination was tried by aan internal rival of Ariovist. Lately, opposition grew rapidly as many noble Suebii think that the Suebi receive tribute, but never pay it!

I'll be back on Monday or Tuesday :yes:.

Franconicus
08-06-2011, 13:05
not for the others. No, seriously, if you do not want to do a lot of diplomacy, you do not need agents.

Franconicus
08-07-2011, 18:36
Due to the threats of the Suebii the chiefs of the Treveri call all warriors to the arms. Messengers are sent to the allies. :creep:

King Jan III Sobieski
08-07-2011, 19:58
Can I take Eburones???

Franconicus
08-08-2011, 16:40
Can I take Eburones???

Sure

08-08-2011, 17:25
Welcome brother :yes:.

Arjos
08-09-2011, 07:55
Can we send orders? And should they be via PM or?

08-09-2011, 14:25
All I know I need (most) people to start responding to my PM's....

:dizzy2: :stare: :yes::yes:

08-09-2011, 15:18
Due to the threats of the Suebii the chiefs of the Treveri call all warriors to the arms. Messengers are sent to the allies. :creep:

Artvitiousus of the Suebi decides to make a announcement to his villagers and warriors about the threat from both the Treveri and potentially from the Sequani/Aedui alliance.

PEOPLE! We, the mighty Suebi, the mighty tribe of 90,000 citizens.... are UNDER THREAT!!! The former allies of our clan, the Sequani are demanding freedom. What freedoms? Are they not free? They are! It puzzles me why they make threats against us. Was it not THEM who hired US to help them fight the Aedui? It was. Now they allied with the Aedui, but they accuse me and you of raping their women and have an alliance with Rome. What hypocrisy on their part!

PEOPLE! The leader of the Nervii was nearly assassinated and now the Treverni were planning on a attempt on my life? Why? I don't understand. They will pay a deep price for any assault on our lands! We will fight to the bitter death and I will do everything I can to defend my homeland!

PEOPLE! We are surrounded on at least 2 sides by enemies! We must stand firm with our Roman and Nervii allies! We must not loose faith. Together, we will defeat anyone who challenges us! I am asking every able body Suebi and every able bodied Germani male to come to my banner at this moment to defend our homelands! If war is inevitable, so be it!

LONG LIVE THE SUEBI!!

The crowd roars as Artvivoiusts walks though the crowd back to his tent.

OOC: Can I send my decisions in tomorrow or on Saturday at the very latest,Franconicus?

Franconicus
08-09-2011, 18:25
Can we send orders? And should they be via PM or?

Things of public relevance like declaration of war, position of the leader, call to arms etc. should be posted here. Orders about campaigns please to PM to me.
Campaigns should be detailed and do not forget the supply with food!

Does everybody know what to do? How much time is needed?

Arjos
08-09-2011, 19:18
"Towards a New Era"

On the move! The touta, the tegoslugoi and up front the arioi with Kassiwalaunos...

http://www.kernunnos.com/culture/warriors/belgae.jpe

Numbering 20.000 infantry and 500 chariots, it was time to remove any doubts and to come to a decision between the Katuwellaunoi and the Trinouantoi!

The Bren, closing to the border, started to appeal to anyone near the Tamesas: Let us join into a mighty tribe! Or let the gods decide who is to prevail!

At the border guarding the crossing, all the southern warriors, 9.000 men and 500 chariots, assembled to celebrate samonios, but also to make sure the Kantioi wouldn't move from their land...

08-09-2011, 20:13
Things of public relevance like declaration of war, position of the leader, call to arms etc. should be posted here. Orders about campaigns please to PM to me.
Campaigns should be detailed and do not forget the supply with food!

Does everybody know what to do? How much time is needed?

Is it ok if I send my orders in on Saturday? I be offline until then anyhow. I still need certain people to respond to me.... :dizzy2:

Franconicus
08-11-2011, 17:09
Does everybody know what to do?
I have already received the moves from the Brits and Germans, I am still waiting to hear from the Romans and Gauls!

Can I put deadline to the end of next week, July 19th?

Fisherking
08-11-2011, 17:36
Does everybody know what to do?
I have already received the moves from the Brits and Germans, I am still waiting to hear from the Romans and Gauls!

Can I put deadline to the end of next week, July 19th?

I think it is already Aug. ;)

Azunti
08-12-2011, 00:07
(OOC: Im still not entirely certain how this works, no. But Ive also been busy so unable to reply to anything- I will be soon.)

08-12-2011, 15:50
I'll send my official orders in tomorrow... I'm not waiting any longer for certain people to contact me, I'm to eager for the chapter!! :balloon2:

Franconicus
08-12-2011, 16:25
I think it is already Aug. ;)

:dizzy2:Sometimes I feel so tired! :dizzy2:

Right, deadline until August 19th. I have to have the orders of the Romans at least!

Peasant Phill
08-12-2011, 16:26
My involvement in this IH has been exactly zero. I found/find it hard at the moment to motivate myself to study a bit on this topic and participate. Like most of you I have enough other things on my mind which for me are now more important. As such, I must drop out of this IH.

My apologies to you all and have fun.

08-12-2011, 17:09
:dizzy2:Sometimes I feel so tired! :dizzy2:

Right, deadline until August 19th. I have to have the orders of the Romans at least!

I have never seen a IH been so low on motivation and roleplaying, especially with some of the names we have in this game and the time that has elapsed. . :dizzy2:

No problem Phill.

Arjos
08-12-2011, 17:50
Orders for the Romani are easy: they realized how they were ruining the world and committed suicide ahahahahahahah ^^

08-12-2011, 18:28
:laugh: :laugh:

08-12-2011, 21:32
Suebi, prepare! The new year will be much trouble to us! We are facing potenial invasions from foes, we must be ready to fight and prevail!

King Jan III Sobieski
08-12-2011, 22:33
The Treverni have nothing to fear with me on their side! You people - the Subei and the Nervii - will face destruction if you dare attack us!

Warluster
08-13-2011, 09:00
Already you act as if we are your enemies - but to this point my people have spoken of nothing but peace. We feel betrayed by our fellow Belgic tribes, a deep betrayal made worse by the recent knowledge that, according to sources who I trust beyond doubt, you have acted in a hostile manner in relation to the hiring and use of spies and scum, or to be more accurate, despicable men who have no aim but to bring death to certain individuals. If we had brought death upon your leaders and people, Eburones leader, would you not burn with a sense of justice and, to the side, of confusion? As fellow Belgic tribesmen, our sense of culture will perhaps unite us long enough to investigate this horrid issue on neutral grounds, and solve it permeantly, lest war brings unwanted ruin upon all our lands.

Once again, what we ask for is peace. Another sense of justice which is also misplaced, I suspect, but we question the Eburones leader and his motives and reasons for ill-wishing upon my people and our culture? If need be, we would happily, as a anxious and concerned people, ask that a third party be brought in to investigate the rumours that my would-be assasain is a stooge of your leaders, though this investigation is not a form of accusation but rather worried curiosity. Would not one of the famed Aedui or Roman generals grace our capitals for several days and investigate this matter?

08-13-2011, 18:41
Already you act as if we are your enemies - but to this point my people have spoken of nothing but peace. We feel betrayed by our fellow Belgic tribes, a deep betrayal made worse by the recent knowledge that, according to sources who I trust beyond doubt, you have acted in a hostile manner in relation to the hiring and use of spies and scum, or to be more accurate, despicable men who have no aim but to bring death to certain individuals. If we had brought death upon your leaders and people, Eburones leader, would you not burn with a sense of justice and, to the side, of confusion? As fellow Belgic tribesmen, our sense of culture will perhaps unite us long enough to investigate this horrid issue on neutral grounds, and solve it permeantly, lest war brings unwanted ruin upon all our lands.

Once again, what we ask for is peace. Another sense of justice which is also misplaced, I suspect, but we question the Eburones leader and his motives and reasons for ill-wishing upon my people and our culture? If need be, we would happily, as a anxious and concerned people, ask that a third party be brought in to investigate the rumours that my would-be assasain is a stooge of your leaders, though this investigation is not a form of accusation but rather worried curiosity. Would not one of the famed Aedui or Roman generals grace our capitals for several days and investigate this matter?

:yes:

And would anyone else who owns me responses please reply to me (Thank you Warluster) because I be off for a few days and I won't be back online until Thursday, the day of the deadline.

Azunti
08-14-2011, 04:46
If need be, we would happily, as a anxious and concerned people, ask that a third party be brought in to investigate the rumours that my would-be assasain is a stooge of your leaders, though this investigation is not a form of accusation but rather worried curiosity. Would not one of the famed Aedui or Roman generals grace our capitals for several days and investigate this matter?

The Aedui will gladly take up this call. I will personally march north and investigate these strange happenings. Let it be known, too, Ariovistus, that I will be bringing troops with me... so your wanton aggression into Gaul will not be tolerated! This is what the Gaulic League is about!

08-17-2011, 15:58
Whatever floats your boat Aedui :laugh:.

Everyone have their orders in? I know my brother (Ebunoes) will send his in ASAP today :yes:.

Franconicus
08-17-2011, 19:02
Nothing is going on without the Romani!

Well, I will be gone for holiday from Monday for two weeks. Completely offline!! Hope I can have a look on your orders before I leave!

08-17-2011, 21:25
I hope so! I'm getting inpatient for Chapter 1 already! :laugh:

Franconicus
08-18-2011, 15:14
I am still waiting for orders from
Arverni (AggonyDuck),
Sequani (The Celtic Viking),
Sotiates (MrStuka),
Allebroges (Ignoramus)
and all Romans (Kage and legates)

Kagemusha
08-18-2011, 16:26
Franc, you will be getting Roman orders on saturday the latest. There has been quite the thought process going on as off late, before i can make my moves.

Ignoramus
08-19-2011, 02:07
OOC: How do I conduct diplomacy again? I believe I have to recruit diplomats from other Org members, is this correct?

Arjos
08-19-2011, 11:05
That or one PM per turn...

08-19-2011, 15:04
That or one PM per turn...

How about Steam? :dizzy2: :laugh4:

I just can't wait for the chapter 1, that's all. :yes:

The Celtic Viking
08-19-2011, 17:11
I'm sorry guys, but I haven't had much time over for this game, and I will have even less time over now that my responsibilities elsewhere have unexpectedly increased. I'm going to have to pull out of this; I hope this doesn't cause you too much problem. (And I apologize once again for the delays I've already caused.) :shame:

Franconicus
08-19-2011, 17:52
So we lost the chief of the Remi and the Sequani. (Sigh!)

08-19-2011, 18:43
Maybe it's a good thing I lost one of my rivals :laugh: :laugh:!

08-23-2011, 21:45
Fran on vacation now I guess :sad:?

09-06-2011, 16:04
When will the chapter be up Fran?

Kagemusha
09-06-2011, 16:06
Im sure he is on vacation.I have long since sent my orders and i hope everyone else has done the same.

09-06-2011, 16:19
He logged into sometime Kagemusha, so hopefully the chapter will be hot off the presses soon :clown: :yes:!

Franconicus
09-06-2011, 18:42
I returned from my trip to the sunny Mediterranean Sea to the rainy forrests of continental Europe.
The bloodbath can start. I already began to write. The dices are thrown, just wait a moment and you will see how they fell!

09-06-2011, 22:32
God help me!

09-09-2011, 00:50
I'm going to be gone until Monday morning! Please be safe all! :laugh4:

Franconicus
09-13-2011, 17:58
From now on the Remi shall be ruled by Swordsmaster.
SM is wellknown for beiing an excellent strategist! So better watch out!

Arjos
09-13-2011, 18:02
Hail to the new Remi Chief!

Franconicus
09-13-2011, 18:12
Autumn 58

Traditionally, autumn is the time of harvest and warfare. And also this autumn, after the harvest was done, several chiefs mobilized their warriors to go on the war path. However, war did not exceed normal level.

Britannia

The young chief “The Bren” of the Catuvellauni burned from ambitions. All summer long he had been announcing his intentions to invade the Trivobantes and started his campaign as soon as the harvest was done. Trivobantes had enough time to prepare themselves, making a pact with their southern neighbour, the Cantae, or Cantii, how they were sometimes called. In a hard campaign with two battles, the Bren succeeded to submit his enemies, see extra post. He controls the southeast of Britannia now.
Although not all Catuvellauni were enthused by the war, victory raised the popularity of the Bren to 130% (100% is the initial value, a value which represents a solid power base).

Southern, Central and Eastern Celtica

Suebi caused a war against the Treveri, in which many other tribes were involved. The Suebi blamed the Treveri for murdering their agents and prepared for war. The Treveri had enough time to gather their army and to negotiate with other tribes.
Finally Ariovist began to invade the country. However, the Suebi force was rather small and the Suebi King divided his troops along the entire frontier. Therefore, the Treveri decided to attack him even before their allies, the Eburones, would arrive. The Suebi suffered a hard defeat and had to rush home. When the Eburones finally arrived in the combat zone, they broke their pact with the Treveri and attacked them without warning. When reinforcements arrived, they retreated and marched home again. Later, Arverni troops arrived helped Treveri to keep order.
While Ariovist was still fighting the Treveri, the Sequani took the chance to invade the Suebi territory, which they still see as Sequani land. After some initial victories, the Sequani were repelled by a Suebi army.

Aedui
Aedui call all Celtic tribes to an alliance. Although the interest is low, so far, the Suebi war could change this rapidly.The careful engagement in the war pleased the tribesmen. Popularity grew to 110%.

Arverni
Arverni kept passive this turn. Although most of the tribesmen supported this policy, the Arverni are worried about what is going on around them. Popularity of their leader decreases to 95%.

Suebes
Many tribesmen were not pleased about the alliance with the Romans. Most supported the campaign against the Treveri, but it was executed deficiently. This lead to the first defeat of Suebi troops on at Celtica. Although the invasion of the Sequani could be repelled, the territory of the Suebi is now encircled by enemies and food is running short. First families already decided to cross the river and to return home.
Popularity dropped to 75%.

Belgica

The war of the Suebes at the southern border of Belgica attracted also the attention of the tribes here. All besides the Eburones kept passive, though. The Suessiones declared that they will support the Treveri in case that there will be more hostilities.

Eburones
Although casualties were only moderate, the campaign against their former allies was a complete disaster. Popularity fell to 85%.

Remi
Remi did not care about the wars in the south. They were busy electing a new chief. First action of the new chief was to call the senate and introduce reforms like having a permanent army, duties for all farmers regarding providing armed horsemen, setting up a permanent personal guard for the king. Senate listened to his plans, many seemed to be furious and some even put their hands on their swords. When the new chief talked about his plans about the size of the army and its equipment, the senators burst out laughing. An old senator with much influence raised and called for silence. Then he said: "Young chief, when I listened to your talking, I thought that you were truly trying to violate the right of our free warriors. I was just about to remind you, that we are not slaves like the Romans, and that you are only first among equals. But when I finally hear about your plans to equip our soldiers, I realized, that you were fooling us. In the whole world there is not enough metal for all this armour. Nor horses for your plans. I have to admit, that you fooled all of us and want to congratulate for your sense of humour."
Again, laughter raised and the senators left the meeting and returned to their villages, telling stories about the foolish new chief.
Popularity: 95%

Nervi
At the great meeting the chief of the Nervi was the only Celtic chief to show support for the Suebi. After the meeting, he also blamed the Treveri for killing his agents. Nevertheless, he did not declare war nor mobilized his army.
Instead he began to build a huge large hut in his tribal capital and invites the Atrebates, Menapii, Viromandui, Remi and Eburones to discuss the issues of a military and trade pact, as well as issues surrounding the Belgic lands.

My final request is to have a fantastic, large hut created within the tribal capital, where I will host a meeting of all Belgic tribal leaders (on invitation) where we will Invited will be the Atrebates, Menapii, Viromandui, Remi and Eburones. We will be discussing open borders, free trade and the idea of a informal military alliance - also the strengthening of tribal bonds is hoped for!

I mainly intend not to completely invade the Treverii, though Warman does, but once the plot to kill the messenger is completed I will only stir internal controversy and question it publicly - once this is all over hopefully a large majority of Eburones land will be mine, and I will intend to pursue stronger ties with the Gauls.

Provincia Narbonensis

J.C. called his troops back to their home bases, where they prepared for the winter.

Allobroges
Allobroges were glad that they were not involved in any fighting. Popularity raised to 105%.

Aquitani, Western and Northern Celtica

Venetes
Their ships opened up their trade with the Romans to the south. Venetes were far from the trouble of the north or west. Popularity 105%.

Sotiates
Sotiates were far from the trouble of the north or west. Popularity 105%.Details about the campaigns will follow. As well as numbers of food!

Franconicus
09-13-2011, 18:13
Ariovist
During summer, worrying news came from the River Rhenus: thousands of German Suebes were crossing the river with their families. This, of course, alarmed their neighbors, as the Sequani were the example, how fast one could lose his country even if one is allied with the Suebi. Soon it came out, that none of the Celtic tribes was willing to cooperate with the Suebi, only the Nervii, also with German roots, showed some sympathy. Therefore, it was a logical consequence of the Suebi King Ariovist to look for another strong ally and he found it in the Roman proconsul.
This alliance was accompanied with threats against the Treveri, and when Ariovist blamed them for murdering a Suebi agent, the Treveri knew that it was time to prepare for war. They send diplomats to all Belgian tribes as well as to the southern neighbors.
Now it is autumn and with the first falling leaves comes the message to the Treveri capitol, that the Suebi crossed the borders and invade the land. The Treveri, though, are well prepared and ready to field 30,000 men, among them 2,000 men of the finest cavalry. Also they send messengers to the Eburones, their friends and allies, which already gave the promise to help them in case of an invasion.
Treveri cavalry is send out to investigate the deployment of the enemy. They reported that the Suebi had about 16,000 men spread in small groups all along the frontier. These groups distribute fear and dead on their way, foraging off the Treveri land, killing any able body male over 21 and sending the captured women and children to the land of the Suebi.
Hearing this, the warlord of the Treveri decides to change his plans and to attack the Suebi before his allies arrived. Chances are good, as the battle force of the Treveri is twice as strong. The Treveri leave 4,000 at their capitol. Their plan is to hit the Suebi before they can gather their force. So they move as fast as possible against the enemy and soon the Suebi groups in the centre are faced with a mighty Treveri battle force. They try to find their sake in flight and so the two wings of the Suebi were isolated. Treveri divide their warriors in two equal troops, each attacking one group of Suebi. Outnumbered, isolated in small groups and constantly attacked by the superior Treveri cavalry, the Suebi have no choice but to retreat homewards. Ariovist, their King, tries to coordinate the warriors, but the Treveri cavalry cut off all communication lines.
After the victory against the Suebi, the Treveri stopp to wait for the Eburones allies. Those come two weeks later, 11,000 men under their chief marching along the Rhenus and finally hitting the camp of the northern Treveri battle group. Those are happy to see their allies coming, but then happens what seems to be the most heinous betrayal men has ever heard of. The Eborunes attack their unsuspecting allies and slaughter them during night. Some escape, though, and alarm the southern group, which comes in a forced march. However, when they approach the battle field, the Eburones are already gone. As soon as they heard that the Suebi are defeated and had to return home, they turn around and run home as soon as possible. The Treveri cancel their planned campaign against the Suebi. They gather their troops at their capitol and lick their wounds.
However, that is not all, that happens in the west. A force of Audui warriors marches along the Suebi border. When they march through the Vosges, they find the way blocked by 5,000 Suebi warriors. Although the Aedui have superior numbers, their leader decides to avoid combat and returns home.
The Sequani also mobilize their army and invade the Suebi territory with about 20,000 warriors. A small force of some thousand Suebi tries to slow their advance but is soon defeated. The Suebi mobilize their reserves as soon as possible and are finally able to field an army of 15,000 just in time to stop the Sequani from capturing their capitol. In a furious battle the Suebi manage to repel the Sequani army, which returns home, burning every farm and field on their way back home.

09-13-2011, 18:30
I was just thinking about this last night about holes in my plan. Oh dear lord. Is of no matter. :yes:.

Warman is just full of supirses! :knight: (:laugh:)

Arjos
09-13-2011, 18:31
OoC: Nice readings! Ouch for the Swebozez...

09-13-2011, 18:44
In the catipoil of the Suebi,Ariovist has just arrived home with a few hundred warriors of his advance guard. They are utterly shocked by the faliure of their once believed strong battle plan. They are disappointed that the Nervii did not help in the invasion although Ariovist figured they would not help anyhow in the actual attack until much later if it succed. He gathered by his main tent and a crowd of war weary people gathered to him him Speak.....

Ariovist; PEOPLE OF THE SUEBI!!!! DO NOT WORRY!!!! Yes, we are deafeted in battle.... but only for now! Yes.... The Nervii did not help take the pressure off of us by attacking the Treverni, but the Ebunoes killed a great deal of our foe! They, like the Romans, are worthy of our respect! We will bounce back to destroy these Treverni pigs and these Sequani dogs! They think they can kill our families? THey do.... But what they don't know is we are the SUEBI. We do not surrender easily, and I will never give up on my people. I was serving with your sons,fathers,brothers,uncles out in the field....

I ask you all not to leave the tribe.... Do you think you are safer out there then in the tribe? The chances of all being killed or injured is much greater. Stay here my people, we will rise up, and come Spring.... replant our farms and kill the enemy!

(The crowd chants Ariovist's name as he goes into his tent for rest)

Kagemusha
09-13-2011, 19:06
OOC: Great Chapter Franc!

09-13-2011, 23:06
So when will the deadline be?

09-13-2011, 23:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsW3i9rY58k

At this!

The Sequani also mobilize their army and invade the Suebi territory with about 20,000 warriors. A small force of some thousand Suebi tries to slow their advance but is soon defeated. The Suebi mobilize their reserves as soon as possible and are finally able to field an army of 15,000 just in time to stop the Sequani from capturing their capitol. In a furious battle the Suebi manage to repel the Sequani army, which returns home, burning every farm and field on their way back home.

Franconicus
09-15-2011, 13:05
The Bren

It is autumn on the island. Harvest is brought in and the period for military campaigns begins.
So, Bren, the chief of the Catuvellauni, throws down the gauntlet and calls his warriors to arms against the Trivobantes, his neighbors in the east.
Although there does not seems to be any other reason for this but the ambition of the young chief and his war lust, most of his men follow the call and so he gathers an armed force of 26,000 men. Among them are 1,000 chariots with the elite of the tribe.

As soon as his army is ready, the Bren gave the order to decamp and the trek moves slowly eastwards. A big baggage accompanies the 27,000 warriors to carry along supply and to transport the expected prey.
Following the rules of a Celtic nobleman the Bren already sent messengers to announce his campaign against the Trivobantes and now he leads his army eastwards, straight to Camulodunum, the capitol of the enemy.
Soon he is told that the enemy is close, good news for the chief who is eager to fight.
Two nights later he stands on top of a hill. In front of him 26,000 warriors of the Catuvellauni as well a 4,000 warriors from other clans which decided to follow his call, too. Behind him, at the rear of the hill, there is his elite troop, 1,000 chariots, under the command of Glen, his cousin. Glen was glad about this chance to earn honor, but the Bren knows pretty well that Glen is also his most dangerous rival and he would not hesitate one moment to betray him should the battle fortune let him down.
31,000 warriors, a mighty army in deed. In the east, a tiny glow announced the new day, the new day that will see the shifting of the balance of power on the island. It will see Bren’s victory, which will give him the dominance over the Celtic tribes on the island, and make the Bren one of the most powerful chiefs of the Celts. And who knows, maybe one day the Bren will unite the Celtic nation and lead it to a better place, a place were the sun is shining every day.
The glowing in the east is getting lighter. Still the hill is enveloped by fog, but the morning wind is raising and suddenly there is a gap in the foggy clouds and the Bren sees the hill on the other side of the valley. And he sees the warriors there, more than 8,000 for sure. His men begin to shout, angry, furious, shouting curses and offences. But the Bren knows that the time for combat hasn’t come. Between the two hills there is a valley, maybe one kilometer wide. Although it is still covered with fog, the Bren knows that a small beck is curling down there. No trees, just some copse. The hill on the other side is not very high, with smooth flanks. On the right side it is covered with wood.
The fog in the valley finally dissolves. Soft rain begins to fall. The posts from the flanks are already returning. Time to begin the butchery.
Then two things happen, that make the Bren hesitate for a moment. From the opposed hill there are coming three men with the signs of negotiators. From the left flank, there comes the message that a band of warriors approaches, 10,000 men with the war paint of the Cantae.

The Bren decides quickly. He sends Glen together with the chariots and another 10.000 men against the Cantae. Then he orders the 4.000 allies from other tribes to the right side, from where they are supposed to approach the enemy through the woody hillside.
As soon as the redeployment is done, the Bren takes his sword and raises it into the air. His warriors stop shouting. Then the Bren lowers his sword and pints to the enemy on the other side of the valley. Immediately, wild roaring begins while his battle force is running down the hill. Nothing is going to stop them. They reach the valley and cross the beck.
Further and further they run, no upwards. The Trivobantes are throwing rocks, but this does not slow down the Catuvallauni. The Trivobantes panic, they turn around and run uphill as fast as they can to escape the furious Catuvallauni warriors. The Bren shouts and waves to drive his men, but he could as well tried to drive the falling rain. The first Catuvallauni are only few steps behind the running Trivobantes. The Bren sees that his battle force is stretched a bit and that his right wing is still hanging in the wood.
Then all hell breaks loose. At the moment they reach the top of the hill, the Trivobantes turn around and jump against their chasers. A second battle, hidden on the backside of the hill, now assaults too. The advance of the Catuvallauni is brutally stopped. Step by step they are pushed back and the first ones begin to turn and run away. The Bren tries to stop them and to build a solid line of defense. His right flank is still somewhere in the wood, many warriors are still climbing up the hill while the first are already running down, again. Then the Bren sees chariots at his left flank. For a moment he thinks that it is Glen, who finished the Cantae, but then he hears cries of wounded and dying warriors and he realizes that the Trivobantes’ cavalry is about to attack his flank and his rear. Attacked from two sides, panic catches the Catuvallauni. The Bren tries to make his men retreat to the right side, to the wood. This is the only free side, now. Men are falling on his left and on his right, but the Bren manages to reach the edge of the forest and gathers his men there. Here, the allied warriors join the main force again.
As the Catuvallauni realize, that they have at least even numbers now, they face the enemy and stop the assault of the Trivobantes. All over the sudden, the Trivobantes seem to loose the interest and retreat. The Bren and his men follow them with caution, peppered by the chariots of the Trivobantes, which cover the retreat of their infantry. When the Bren reaches the top of the hill again, the army of the Trivobantes is already out of reach. From here he sees, what caused the retreat of his enemies: Glen returns with the chariots of the Catuvallauni. His cousin quickly reports, that the Cantae stopped their advance as soon as they were attacked by Glen. They retreated into a forest, where the chariots could not follow them. Glen ordered the men to dismount and to attack together with the infantry. It began a close combat in a very confusing battle field, but it seemed as if the Catuvallauni gained upper hand. Glen decided to leave the battle, as his chariots were not effective there and to return to the main army.
The Bren decides to look how the battle against the Cantae is going. When he and his men arrive there, the fighting is already over. The Cantae left the battle ground.
The Bren decides to camp, so that his men find rest and care for the wounded. After all the casualties are not so severe, 1.000 warriors and 20 chariots. However, the moral of his men has decreased.
Next morning the Cantae and the Trivobantes send messangers, which offer to negotiate. The Bren accepts a meeting, but the Cantae and Trivobantes are not willing to accept his demands. So the Bren calls his men to get ready for battle again.
His enemies, now united in one battle force, retreat and move toward the capitol of the Trivobantes. The Bren hurries his men to reach the enemy as soon as possible. In the afternoon, the chariots with Glen reach a group of about 1,000 enemies at a river crossing. Glen orders to cross the river and attack immediately. The frightened enemies run to the near forest as fast as they can, but the Catuvallauni cavalry is faster. Then, all over sudden, the war cry of the Trivobantes comes from the woods and thousands of warriors storm against the Catuvallauni. Glen orders to turn around immediately and to get back across the river again, but the Trivobantes are already close and an awful combat begins. The outcome is certain, too strong is the force of the enemy and the Catuvallauni try desperately to gain the other bank. Glen himself and a couple of followers try to strike against the centre of the enemy to gain some space for the rest of the chariots. Is it fortune or the help of a god, suddenly Glens chariots runs straight against a warrior in full bronze armor - the chief of the Trivobantes. He is thrown through the air and lands right among his warriors. Immediately, the shouting stops. The warlord does not get up again. Confused the Trivobantes retreat in the woods.
When the Bren arrives, he orders to follow the enemy as fast as possible. Again and again the army meets small groups of enemies, which are rapidly overwhelmed.
Next morning, the Bren receives news, that the Cantae returned home and that the Trivobantes are begging for peace.

Arjos
09-15-2011, 13:13
The omens are good! ^^

The gods smile upon us!

09-15-2011, 13:31
The omens are good! ^^

The gods smile upon us!

Of course, you beating up on weaker oppnoets! :laugh:

Franconicus
09-15-2011, 13:38
A) Food stock (in t of grain)
B) Total Population
C) Infantry
D) Cavalry

Remi...........A) 15,8....B) 70.000...C) 30.000...D) 500
Nervii..........A) 9,0......B) 40.000...C) 15.000...D) 200
Aedui..........A) 31,0....B) 120.000..C) 45.000...D) 5.000
Arverni........A) 31,0....B) 120.000..C) 45.000...D) 5.000
Sequani.......A) 11,3....B) 50.000....C) 17.000...D) 900
Venetes.......A) 16,3....B) 50.000....C) 20.000...D) 0
Sotiates.......A) 15,0....B) 40.000....C) 15.000...D) 0
Suebes........A) 9,3......B) 90.000....C) 33.000...D) 500
Allobroges....A) 8,1.. ..B) 25.000....C) 8.000.....D) 2.000
Catuvellau....A) 15,8....B) 70.000....C) 27.000...D) 800 (chars)
Eburones .....A) 15,8....B) 70.000....C) 30.000..D) 0

Suessiones....A) 22,5...B) 100.000...C)39.000...D) 1.000
Atrebates Bel.A) 5,6....B) 25.000.....C) 9.500....D) 500
Viromandui....A) 3,4....B) 15.000.....C) 5.000....D) 0
Menapii..........A) 3,4...B) 15.000.....C) 5.000....D)0
Aulerci...........A) 5,0.. .B) 22.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0
Carnutes........A) 9,0 ...B) 40.000.....C) 13.000... D) 2.000
Namnetes.......A) 5,4...B) 22.000.....C) 10.000...D) 0
Parisii.............A) 9,0 . .B) 40.000.....C) 15.000....D) 0
Treveri............A) 14,8..B) 70.000.....C) 24.000...D) 2.800
Veragri/Seduni..A) 15,8.B) 70.000.....C) 30.000...D) 0
Cantae.............A)4,5.....B) 20.000.....C) 9.000....D) 0
Trivobantes.......A) 11,4.B) 35.000.....C)10.000...D) 800 (chars)
Mandubii...........A) 3,1...B) 12.000.....C) 5.000....D) 0
Segusiavi ..........A)3,1....B) 12.000.....C) 4.000...D) 1.000
Senones............A) 3,1...B) 12.000.....C) 5.000...D) 0

Arjos
09-15-2011, 13:43
I lost 200 chariots? 20 in the first battle and 180 in that river crossing? Tough life XD

09-15-2011, 15:32
I lost 200 chariots? 20 in the first battle and 180 in that river crossing? Tough life XD

Welcome to Interactive Histories :laugh:!

09-15-2011, 15:39
I lost half my cavarly as well! :dizzy2::inquisitive::stare::stare:

Franconicus
09-15-2011, 16:18
I lost half my cavarly as well! :dizzy2::inquisitive::stare::stare:
And rescued your own life! (maybe I was just a bit too generous!)

Of course, you beating up on weaker oppnoets!
Always a good strategy :bow:

09-15-2011, 16:20
And rescued your own life! (maybe I was just a bit too generous!)

Always a good strategy :bow:

Indeed on the second point.

And quite happy on the first point!! Although my orders wasn't extacly follow but there is always next turn!!

Arjos
09-15-2011, 16:24
Are we in the next turn now? :)

Franconicus
09-15-2011, 16:30
Yes Gentlemen. It is up to you to exchange your diplomatic notes and then send me your orders for the winter season.
One order package per player is sufficient, does not have to be 15 pms!

09-15-2011, 16:47
God help me then!

King Jan III Sobieski
09-18-2011, 22:48
Greetings and Salutations,

Rumour has it that the Ebunoes and Romans shall be making an alliance.

09-19-2011, 00:23
Statement from Artv. of the Suebi soon!

SwordsMaster
09-19-2011, 12:40
Hey Franc,

Is there any way to have all the tribes on a map? Is there a link to such a map with sufficient zoom detail? I'm vaguely familier of where I am geographically, but have no idea who my neighbours are and can't really follow the military movements...

I'm sure there is a link you are using somewhere?

Cheers
SM

ALL: Apologies for delay lately, internet connection is playing up and work is getting in the way. Will rectify soon

Arjos
09-19-2011, 12:43
https://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9349/debellogallico.gif

I made this map, colours are silly due to paint, but gets the job done :P

SwordsMaster
09-19-2011, 14:56
Thanks, Arjos! That works.

AggonyDuck
09-19-2011, 16:05
I'm mostly interested in what lies in the white areas of the map.

Arjos
09-19-2011, 17:20

Other tribes not in this game :)

09-19-2011, 18:13

What Ducky really means by this is....

"How easy can they die by my hordes of Duckie Tribesmen?"

:laugh:

:bow:

Franconicus
09-19-2011, 18:39
White areas in this game are regions with few pop. Yu cannot invade it, but you can cross it, if you want to.

By the way, there is a statement from the druids of the Carnutes:

The Gods will not forgive the behavior of the chief of the Eburones. He will be punished. No one shall folow him any longer!

09-19-2011, 20:25
From the Suebi Chief and his people;

OOC: A brief song showing the bravery of our forces, please use your imagination here!

(1:15 on)

The burden lies upon us
Surrender is not an option
We are the army and if we break, the Suebi captioal crumbles we could lose the war

(5:15 on)
We'll know what we're made of
The burden lies with us
When up against all odds we hold our line against the Sequani and the Aedui!
We can't fail
For the cause that we so love
We must hold at all costs
With courage in our hearts
When our tribe the Suebi needs us, We'll stay the course
We won't fail
For the Suebi we so love
We must hold at all cost!!

http://www.ancient-battles.com/catw/suevi/suebi_ridanz.png

09-21-2011, 18:29
Fran, you should double check with everyone to see who is still with us in the game. :yes:

Arjos
09-22-2011, 15:10
"The Belgai turmoil"

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuchc4GOb4hlDsLDHtGZ63hroMRB39aZo9u7s-hi0wYCc_0OxI0A&t=1

While celebrating the new year, news came from the continent to Kassiwalaunos: the Treueroi were betrayed and found themselves surrounded by treacherous tribes...

The Bren was wondering if the words of great korionoi, would turn into actions:

We will assist every Belgian tribe that needs our help! :stare:

The Gods will not forgive the behavior of the chief of the Eburones. He will be punished. No one shall folow him any longer!

09-22-2011, 15:53
"The Belgai turmoil"

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuchc4GOb4hlDsLDHtGZ63hroMRB39aZo9u7s-hi0wYCc_0OxI0A&t=1

While celebrating the new year, news came from the continent to Kassiwalaunos: the Treueroi were betrayed and found themselves surrounded by treacherous tribes...

The Bren was wondering if the words of great korionoi, would turn into actions:

The Suebi Chief Warlord has heard the words of the druid person and the tribe Susessinoes. The Suebi Chief is not distubered by such words. Invade us,kill our people and we will seek to it that your tribe is destroyed by our pwoerful Germanic armies thought the Chief. Leave us along and be in peace.

Franconicus
09-22-2011, 16:32
From the Suebi Chief and his people;

OOC: A brief song showing the bravery of our forces, please use your imagination here!

(1:15 on)

The burden lies upon us
Surrender is not an option
We are the army and if we break, the Suebi captioal crumbles we could lose the war

(5:15 on)
The burden lies with us
When up against all odds we hold our line against the Sequani and the Aedui!
We can't fail
For the cause that we so love
We must hold at all costs
With courage in our hearts
When our tribe the Suebi needs us, We'll stay the course
We won't fail
For the Suebi we so love
We must hold at all cost!!

http://www.ancient-battles.com/catw/suevi/suebi_ridanz.png

The warriors of the Suebes listen cluelessly to the singing king. When they hear the line We must hold at all cost!! the first leave the place to get to their families and pack their bags.
An old aristocrat with much influnce is talking to another: "The defeat must have been bitter to our king. I fear, it shook his mind. Maybe he should have some rest. Maybe t is better, if someone else leads our people in such troubled times.

09-22-2011, 16:36
The Suebi chief calls out to his soliders not to rush him. "Men, that song was men to insipire you, to show that we DO HOLD THE LINE, not to mean we should rush back to our families now. Do I need rest as the good adviosr saids... yes I do! But we ALL need rest right now. Let us rest good men, and tomorrow we be ready to fight the enemy, protect our families and return to peace like it was before the Treverni,Sequani and Aedui started to make threats aganist us!

Arjos
09-22-2011, 16:49
OoC: Ah ah not a good day for Ariovistus :P
How are we set with orders Franconicus, is winter coming? :)

09-23-2011, 00:35
I will have my orders in Tuesday Morning. I won't be back until Monday morning and I need until Tuesday to finalize my plans.

Franconicus
09-24-2011, 14:01
Deadline for the winter season is Friday!

The Celtic Viking
09-26-2011, 00:22
Okay, due to popular request (well, okay, Arjos and my deadly foe, the Warman of Milk), I have - thanks to the ending of KotN - been given time for this game. If possible I would like to do the Jesus thing what with the second coming (or was that the female thing? Oh well, never mind) as the Sequani.

Arjos
09-26-2011, 01:24
Good man ^^

09-26-2011, 14:16
Okay, due to popular request (well, okay, Arjos and my deadly foe, the Warman of Milk), I have - thanks to the ending of KotN - been given time for this game. If possible I would like to do the Jesus thing what with the second coming (or was that the female thing? Oh well, never mind) as the Sequani.

Good, your tribe is still going to die anyhow. :laugh4: :2thumbsup:

SwordsMaster
09-26-2011, 14:45
Orders sent!

09-26-2011, 14:51
Still waiting on Kage for his replies to me!!

The Celtic Viking
09-26-2011, 19:26
Good, your tribe is still going to die anyhow. :laugh4: :2thumbsup:

If Steiner attacks, everything will be alright. ~;)

09-26-2011, 20:09
Eh What?

The Celtic Viking
09-26-2011, 20:19
Eh What?

*Facepalm*

I just took it for granted everyone else knew that scene (or, as well as me, at any rate). Silly me. It's a reference to this (http://youtu.be/t7PmzdINGZk).

09-26-2011, 20:29
:laugh4::laugh4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZxiHWPrZ4&feature=autoplay&list=FL1izONK55vyHXjQGuScooOw&lf=autoplay&playnext=4

We all be seeing sadness in your eyes in the upcoming turns!!!! :2thumbsup: :knight:

09-27-2011, 16:31
Artviostus leaves his tent and walks to the center of his captial with his bodyguards. Station there is a few hundred soliders lotering around, talking, drinking, clearing their weapons,awaiting the next fight. There are some civlians there, wondering what will happen to them, in both the upcoming winter AND the spring. They all are afraid if the winter doesn't kill them, a potenial massive Enemy Assaut may do so in the Spring time.

"Gentlemen.... and Ladies in attedance also!..... Do not be afraid!...... This will be my last speech for awhile..... If you may know why it is because Words mean NOTHING without actions. I will not make another speech unless we are in a heavy battle or until we are victorius, then, and ONLY THEN, will words mean ANYTHING! People.... I know you all want easy prey.... I know your faith has sunken in me with our losses.... But do you think war is easy, like hunting a rabbit? It is not! Do you think the great Julis Caesar has not loss at some ponit or at least suffer bad times? People, We must hold out. The Treverni and the Sequani may have beaten us but..... one, if we can scare the Aedui away with ONLY 5,000 men, we can scare anyone! And Secondly..... They may have the win now, but when WE win the war.... They be the ones begging US for mercy during the winter.... And I have two good generals here who did well in battle..... Warmanius or Warman as I call him help led a consderiable size of you to beat back the Sequani and Jagiius was with me and did a fine job with a good fighting retreat with his men. Him and Warman are good friends.... We will push on!!Long live the Suebi!!"

Crowd cheers as Art goes back to his tent with his bodyguards.

Arjos
09-27-2011, 18:50
Do you think the great Julis Caesar has not loss at some ponit or at least suffer bad times?

OoC: As of 58 BC, the great JC, was just an indebted man escaping trial :D

09-27-2011, 22:03

:clown: See? Bad times for him! :laugh:

I'll get my orders in on Thursday morning, I promise :yes:.

:bow:

Franconicus
09-28-2011, 16:08

Welcome Home!
I hope you will not gp on leaving the fighting up to me!

09-29-2011, 16:36
I will get my orders in a few hours :yes: :yes:!!

Kagemusha
09-29-2011, 18:08

Yes.The misery of it all.

The Celtic Viking
09-29-2011, 18:22
Welcome Home!

Thank you.

I hope you will not gp on leaving the fighting up to me!

What, I thought you were doing a good job? :clown:

No, I will take care of it myself. Sink or swim, learn and win.

... what? That almost works.

09-29-2011, 18:33
Thank you.

What, I thought you were doing a good job? :clown:

No, I will take care of it myself. Sink or swim, learn and win.

... what? That almost works.

But you must remembering you facing a IH Legend.... me.... and Kage! 2 actually! :2thumbsup:

:knight:

09-29-2011, 23:39
My orders are now in!

10-01-2011, 18:46
My orders is in. How much longer do we have to wait! :laugh4::2thumbsup:

Franconicus
10-04-2011, 08:40
Still waiting!

The Celtic Viking
10-04-2011, 12:19
For whom? I do hope it's not me, because I sent you a PM with questions about it a while ago. Did you not get it?

Arjos
10-04-2011, 15:22
Who dares going all lurker on us?! XD

10-04-2011, 15:50
I really don't care as long as it isn't Rome (Kage).....

I JUST WANT MY CHAPTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Franconicus
10-05-2011, 16:50
These gentlemen - err brutal barbarians - passed their orders.

Rome
Eburones
Arverni
Sequani
Aedui
Venetes
Remi
Catuvellauni
Suebes

Still got some questions to be answered. Then I will turn on the bog simulation machine.

King Kurt
10-05-2011, 20:39
These gentlemen - err brutal barbarians - passed their orders.

Rome
Eburones
Arverni
Sequani
Aedui
Venetes
Remi
Catuvellauni
Suebes

Still got some questions to be answered. Then I will turn on the bog simulation machine.
Franc
Couldn't you just use the standard default order of when in doubt, attack the Suebi??:laugh4::laugh4::laugh4:

10-06-2011, 12:50
Franc
Couldn't you just use the standard default order of when in doubt, attack the Suebi??:laugh4::laugh4::laugh4:

How nice of you KK!! :laugh4::laugh4:

Kagemusha
10-06-2011, 14:12
Brutal Barbarian? That is no way to address a Civitate.:stare:

10-06-2011, 16:26
Brutal Barbarian? That is no way to address a Civitate.:stare:

I know, try me/us nice :laugh: :laugh:!!

Arjos
10-06-2011, 17:25
Anyway, should we put up a "wanted" for the Sotiates, Nervii and Allobroges for the orders? XD
Possibly alive, but I think we can work it out with dead too :P

10-07-2011, 15:16
Anyway, should we put up a "wanted" for the Sotiates, Nervii and Allobroges for the orders? XD
Possibly alive, but I think we can work it out with dead too :P

I just want my Chapter by the time I come back on Monday morning, that's all! :book2::book2::2thumbsup::yes:

Azunti
10-07-2011, 19:17
Wow I missed out on a page and a half of posts because I didnt get my email notifications. Thank god I got a PM.

KrooK
10-08-2011, 10:59
Hello everyone.
Can I play?Tribe Suessiones seems very interesting.

10-10-2011, 13:10
Welcome to the game Krook! :2thumbsup:

Now does everyone have their orders in? :dizzy2:

Franconicus
10-10-2011, 15:40
Hello everyone.
Can I play?Tribe Suessiones seems very interesting.

Welcome KrooK! I suggest you start as soon as the new chapter is out.

10-10-2011, 21:23
Welcome KrooK! I suggest you start as soon as the new chapter is out.

Amen to that! :2thumbsup::balloon2:

KrooK
10-11-2011, 09:30
Ok - I don't want disturb.

10-12-2011, 15:01
HURRY FRAN HURRY! :laugh: :yes: