PDA

View Full Version : Units That Must Be Omitted

ahowl11
08-07-2011, 04:48
Here is a list of units in RTW that I believe must be omitted from the game to free up space for newer units.. if any of you disagree or think I left out any units please post below

Arcani
Incendiary Pigs
Wardogs
Desert Axemen
Nile Spearmen
Pharaoh's Guard
Pharaoh's Bowmen
Desert Cavalry
Nile Cavalry
Egyptian Chariots
Egyptian Cavalry General
Egyptian Chariot General
Egyptian Chariot Archers
Onagers
Heavy Onagers
Ballistas
Repeating Ballistas
Scorpions
Druids
Screeching Women
Beserkers
Night Raiders
Head Hurlers
Head Hunting Maidens
Scythian Noble Women
Bull Warriors

Also I believe Peasants and Gladiators should be for Rebels only (for revolts)

Daco-Roman
08-07-2011, 08:50
So are you positive from historical research that non of these units existed?

Macedon1an
08-07-2011, 11:46
In my opinion these unit need to stay:

-Ballistas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista)
-Desert Axemen can be used as Egyptian Natives in the AOR with lowered stats
-Scorpions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpio_(dart-thrower))
-Night Raiders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harii)
-Beserkers - maybe change the name, but Germania needs to have big blood-thirsty fanatical warriors
-Bull Warriors - change the name, they represent the elite warriors of the Iberians

ahowl11
08-07-2011, 18:37
I got alot of it from the orgs wiki page.. and i'll post it.. but most of these units were long gone (egyptians) or rarely used (wardogs)

Some of the units are ahistorical as well. The arcani, portrayed as in the game as heavily armoured pseudo-ninjas, are probably based on a group of agents provocateurs and spies known as areani in Roman Britain hundreds of years after the game takes place. Also, units of the Roman army such as the Urban Cohort and Praetorian Cohort are much more widely used for combat in the game than they ever were in the Roman Republic or Empire.
The Romans are not the only factions with ahistorical units. Druids, like those used in-game by the Barbarians, were in fact excused from military service in Celtic culture, being vital to the operation of organized village life.<ref>Goldsworthy, Adrian Caeser: The Life of a Colossus p. 242</ref> A totally invented unit is the British Head Hurlers, who hurl decapitated heads coated in quicklime. Severed heads were a valuable trophy in Celtic culture, and would never have been used as ammunition. The phalanx formation which the Germans employ in the game is also ahistorical, since Roman authors are emphatic that the only military formation employed by the Germani was the wedge, and the idea of pikes as Germanic weapons is contradicted by archeology as well as Tacitus (Germania Ch.6). The huge armored war elephants with howdahs, although perhaps the most spectacular unit in the game, were never used by Carthage; historic sources and depictions on coins all document small (perhaps 2.5 m/8.35 ft at the shoulder) North African Elephants with only a mahout. Also, the Bull Warriors of Spain did not exist.
The Egyptian military and culture is heavily influenced by the ancient Egypt of the New Kingdom than that of the Ptolemaic Egypt. Culture would have been of a Greek style with soldiers being identical to those of the other Diadochi and Macedonia.
Some units, such as wardogs and flaming pigs, were used on rare occasions, but not to the extent with which they can be used within the game. Also, Berserkers were not around during the time setting of the game. Berserkers were only used by the Vikings during the Viking Age, although they may represent some of the more ferocious Germanic tribes.
Furthermore the Macedonian "Royal Pikemen" are depicted wearing a shield with a lambda upon it. In fact the Spartans wore the lambda on their shield as it stands for the region Laconia where they came from. The Macedonian faction emblem also has a lambda upon it.

Skull
08-07-2011, 22:36
Ummm...Yeah it's true that heads where thropys in celtic culture BUT some british warriors whoud take a few heads with them and throw them at the enemy...

Macedon1an
08-08-2011, 12:25
Ummm...Yeah it's true that heads where thropys in celtic culture BUT some british warriors whoud take a few heads with them and throw them at the enemy...

We could make some of the Briton units throw a head just before charge...like the Romans with the pilums...

Skull
08-08-2011, 14:44
We could make some of the Briton units throw a head just before charge...like the Romans with the pilums...Yeah...Good ieda...:yes:

Lord President of Gallifrey
08-14-2011, 22:34
Quick note, Onagers were used by the Romans

Nicknamed wild asses because of the way they worked

Hamata
08-15-2011, 04:38
Dacian axe men yes i'm on the side of valkar:yes:

Skull
08-15-2011, 09:33
Dacian axe men yes i'm on the side of valkar:yes:
See Daco-romans history of Dacia...:yes:

Magneto
08-15-2011, 09:36
Quick note, Onagers were used by the Romans

Nicknamed wild asses because of the way they worked
Where do they fit in your description of the roman military system?

08-15-2011, 15:41
Where do they fit in your description of the roman military system?

Well I updated the Roman Military description in the Historian thread, and there is a small part on onagers now.

An example of onagers being mentioned would be at the siege of Masada, where they were going to be used except the defenses were too high.

ahowl11
08-15-2011, 16:55
i say get rid of them as they were not widely used

08-15-2011, 17:11
i say get rid of them as they were not widely used

I guess. There are far more mentions of Ballisatas than onagers.

Maybe we can make them a "siege only" weapon?

ahowl11
08-15-2011, 17:16
thats an idea but i dont know if it would work.. check your profile at TWC

Magneto
08-15-2011, 17:37
I guess. There are far more mentions of Ballisatas than onagers.

Maybe we can make them a "siege only" weapon?
I doubt that will work. Unlike the other siege only equipment, onagers need a special crew - so basically, even if you get them to siege only equipment (which could be quite hard, if not impossible), you could just use them if you got a normal siege weapon
in your army - its crew could shoot they own equipment empty first, then go to the onagers. But I am not certain if that works with crew of different siege equipment. So, thats not a sollution.

We could make 1 type of ballista firing greater shots with more power.

ahowl11
08-15-2011, 18:26
i think its easier to just get rid of them guys.. lets get it done

08-15-2011, 20:24
I doubt that will work. Unlike the other siege only equipment, onagers need a special crew - so basically, even if you get them to siege only equipment (which could be quite hard, if not impossible), you could just use them if you got a normal siege weapon
in your army - its crew could shoot they own equipment empty first, then go to the onagers. But I am not certain if that works with crew of different siege equipment. So, thats not a sollution.

We could make 1 type of ballista firing greater shots with more power.

That's true,

And I think the regular ballista was the most powerful. There were also Scorpio-Ballistas (which were smaller) and the torsion Oxybelles (also smaller). However I think we should only have 1 maybe 2 types of Ballista.

Ahowl's suggestion of removing Onagers is the best

If we get rid of them, maybe the AI will put some proper troops in replacement. (in RTW, there were too many stacks of onagers and light troops)

Magneto
08-15-2011, 20:26
If we get rid of them, maybe the AI will put some proper troops in replacement. (in RTW, there were too many stacks of onagers and light troops)
I realy never fought an army with more than 1 onager, and even those were absolutely rare.

ahowl11
08-15-2011, 20:34
but the ai always fights with them

08-15-2011, 20:51
I realy never fought an army with more than 1 onager, and even those were absolutely rare.

Perhaps I'm getting confused with Medieval 2 Total War?

In any case, Ahowl is probably right in removing these units

Magneto
08-16-2011, 06:47
Removed.

Magneto
08-16-2011, 09:04
Agree to omit them.

Hmm? I don´t understand.

Magneto
08-16-2011, 09:17
Ok.:laugh4: That was pretty weird now.

I´ve implented the archer texture of carthage, but wasn´t sure it works. I make a custom battle with them, press Start Battle,
and everything went BLACK! In my whole house the electricy was gone!!! I was like "WTF!" But after a few seconds it was back again.:yes: Never was so happy about having a notebook, so I didn´t lost anything. I´m going to upload the current version of the files, just in case.
It´s called desktop, but it is a zip-archive of my current work. I´ll keep it updated.

Ludens
08-16-2011, 09:33
Hmm? I don´t understand.

Is merry a team member? His only other post seems to flog a screencapture program.

Magneto
08-16-2011, 09:36
Is merry a team member? His only other post seems to flog a screencapture program.
I don´t know, I´m a new team member myself. And my post was just, that I didn´t know what he meant.

08-16-2011, 16:35
For the Ballistas issue.

I say we keep the Ballista for now and remove the rest to streamline the siege artillery.

And the repeating Ballista did apparently exist

Magneto
08-16-2011, 16:37
For the Ballistas issue.

I say we keep the Ballista for now and remove the rest to streamline the siege artillery.

And the repeating Ballista did apparently exist
Keeping Ballistas and repeating ones, remove all the rest - Done!

Macedon1an
08-16-2011, 16:40
Keeping Ballistas and repeating ones, remove all the rest - Done!

Scorpions?

Magneto
08-16-2011, 16:48
Scorpions?
Ah well, I can implent them back in in a minute, so they aren´t gone forever - but at least for the alpha I make that way now.

I just made a battle: Macedionian Pike Phalanx against Egypt ones:
Look at the shields - pretty small. I highly doubt that they would have been of any use in a battle.

Magneto
08-16-2011, 17:27
Macedon experienced and well-equipped heavy peltasts beat the shit out of their fresh recruited seleucid counterparts:

Skull
08-16-2011, 18:23
Hmm...nice...
What else have you made?

ahowl11
08-16-2011, 18:41
sorry about the files.. im very busy as im two days away from going to college.. will send you them today.. also Primo, download the Additional Units Pack from RTW Heaven and i'll give you a list of units that i want from it

Magneto
08-16-2011, 18:43
Hmm...nice...
What else have you made?
Well, the posted units. Or do you mean the texture? They aren´t mine. I got them from this thread here in the org, with the unused units.

Magneto
08-16-2011, 18:43
sorry about the files.. im very busy as im two days away from going to college.. will send you them today.. also Primo, download the Additional Units Pack from RTW Heaven and i'll give you a list of units that i want from it
Link plz?

Hamata
08-16-2011, 18:56
Scorpions? romans did indeed use scorpions so I sugest we keep them

Skull
08-16-2011, 18:57
Link plz?

I will post it.:yes:

Magneto
08-16-2011, 19:02
romans did indeed use scorpions so I sugest we keep them
And I suggest that we will stop disscussing till we release the alpha.

@Skull: Thanks

Skull
08-16-2011, 19:04
Here is the link. (http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=t&fn=36)

08-16-2011, 19:13
And I suggest that we will stop disscussing till we release the alpha.

I've sorted that issue out in the Roman Army post with the new edit.

Magneto
08-17-2011, 09:07
I made a Greek Cities Companion Cavalry:

ahowl11
08-18-2011, 01:01
You can skin?????????? I need you more than ever now! Those look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However im not sure the greek cities had companion cavalry..

Magneto
08-18-2011, 07:44
You can skin?????????? I need you more than ever now! Those look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However im not sure the greek cities had companion cavalry..
Well, thanks. But that isn´t mine, I found it Ingame. But I´m tryieng to learn skinning.

Magneto
08-18-2011, 13:43
Well, My first skinned Unit: Roman Slingers. They aren´t perfect, but ok, I think.

Magneto
08-18-2011, 15:05
Brown Slings now, as I think they are more historical as those shiny white ones.
Try to make a unit card now.

ahowl11
08-18-2011, 15:45
I like it Magneto.. you know what we are doing for skins isnt too hard.. all you have to do is re-color the textures to fit the faction:) try giving the ptolemaic empire peltasts:)

Magneto
08-18-2011, 15:53
I like it Magneto.. you know what we are doing for skins isnt too hard.. all you have to do is re-color the textures to fit the faction:) try giving the ptolemaic empire peltasts:)
That would be my next one. But first I make this unit card. I´m almost done.

Magneto
08-18-2011, 17:41
I´m done with the card. It isn´t as good as I want it to be, but it isn´t as bad as I thought it will be.
Greek Egyptian Peltast now.

Magneto
08-18-2011, 21:55
Done with both normal and Heavy Peltasts for Egypt:

Skull
08-18-2011, 22:34
Nice work,but...
There alredy was a Roman slinger...:yes:

Also,that egyptian does not work...=(

Magneto
08-18-2011, 22:41
Nice work,but...
There alredy was a Roman slinger...:yes:
Yes, discovered that an 2 hours ago, too. :(

Also,that egyptian does not work...=(
What do you mean?

Skull
08-18-2011, 22:50
Yes, discovered that an 2 hours ago, too. :(

But yours look great.:D

What do you mean?

The attachments are invalid :yes:

Magneto
08-19-2011, 06:08
Reloaded
In Picture 3 4 Peltasts Unit rout 2000 Town Watchs. Sometime we will have to highen the moral.

Skull
08-19-2011, 11:45
Reloaded
In Picture 3 4 Peltasts Unit rout 2000 Town Watchs. Sometime we will have to highen the moral.

Oh my god,look at that shielde...
:cheesy:
Sooo crative...:bow:

Magneto
08-19-2011, 12:03
Oh my god,look at that shielde...
:cheesy:
Sooo crative...:bow:
Thanks! Which shields do you mean? Both?

Skull
08-19-2011, 12:34
Thanks! Which shields do you mean? Both?
At the peltast ones{not heavy peltast}

ahowl11
08-20-2011, 00:49
nice work magneto, just instead of white outlines on the heavy peltast's shield make it a black outline to match their colors

Magneto
08-20-2011, 06:09
nice work magneto, just instead of white outlines on the heavy peltast's shield make it a black outline to match their colors
Ok.

Valkar
08-20-2011, 12:59
Announcement

As Co-leader of this project i must tell that im not really happy with what is happening know. Many units and reskins that are done are far from Historical, and many units added to certain faction are neither.
Please, Skinners and Modellers, keep to the schedulal, and don't go berserk in doing stuff. I like you efforts, input, but if we want to finish this, we need order and structure.

ahowl11
08-20-2011, 13:13
agreed.. like i said greek cities didnt have companion cavalry.. please no spear cohorts.. lets stick to the original unit schedule and release this

Magneto
08-20-2011, 13:21
agreed.. like i said greek cities didnt have companion cavalry.. please no spear cohorts.. lets stick to the original unit schedule and release this
Done. And I read that with the spear cohorts in a thread here, and thought It was supposed to be that way.

Skull
08-20-2011, 13:48
Why not spear cohorts?
The look awsome and give the romans a deacent spearmen unit

Valkar
08-20-2011, 13:59
its isn't historical. The romans used Auxilias as counter cavalry and support.

Macedon1an
08-20-2011, 15:15
The urban cohorts were a police force, they were something between Town Watch and Legionaires... That's why they were made spearmen... Now, either we remove them from the game or we are going to make them be a stronger type of Town Watch recruitable only in Rome.

Magneto
08-20-2011, 15:33
The urban cohorts were a police force, they were something between Town Watch and Legionaires... That's why they were made spearmen... Now, either we remove them from the game or we are going to make them be a stronger type of Town Watch recruitable only in Rome.
Dito.

Macedon1an
08-20-2011, 15:37
Dito.

What? :huh::confused:

Magneto
08-20-2011, 15:39
What? :huh::confused:
Well, that´s supposed to mean "I´m your opinion."

Macedon1an
08-20-2011, 15:42
Well, that´s supposed to mean "I´m your opinion."

Ohhhh OK :)

Magneto
08-20-2011, 15:51
Ohhhh OK :)
Well, sometimes one can notice how we all are from different countrys.

ahowl11
08-20-2011, 21:44
i know dito:) but ya just take urbans out

Magneto
08-21-2011, 06:00
i know dito:) but ya just take urbans out
Completely now? Ok.

ahowl11
08-21-2011, 14:16
yup, thanks buddy

Caesar15
08-30-2011, 02:48
Urbans histroically garrisoned cities in the empire, not just in rme and they had spears anf chainmail, but the empire is a little towards the end of the game so...

08-30-2011, 20:11
Urbans histroically garrisoned cities in the empire, not just in rme and they had spears anf chainmail, but the empire is a little towards the end of the game so...

That's true, but wouldn't the Urbans be redundant with the town watch already in place (in the game)?

Hamata
08-30-2011, 21:11
We could some how script the town watch to disapear with the marian reforms?

Macedon1an
08-31-2011, 00:00
Historically Urban Cohorts were formed in just 3 cities: Rome, Carthage and Lugdunum... All the other cities had Town Watch...

08-31-2011, 18:33
Historically Urban Cohorts were formed in just 3 cities: Rome, Carthage and Lugdunum... All the other cities had Town Watch...

After reading up on the Urban Cohorts, they didn't replace the Town Watch. Rome still had the Town Watch for lighter duties. However, only Rome should have them in our game, for the Provincial Urban Cohorts did not start until Emperor Vespasian .

This leaves several options.

1) Take them out
2) Keep them in Rome, either as a separate unit or an upgrade of Town Watch (Kudos to whoever though of that idea first)

ahowl11
08-31-2011, 21:07
lets just have them be an upgrade of townwatch

Hamata
10-30-2011, 23:33
lets just have them be an upgrade of townwatch Yeah i was kinda thinking that too,merging the two units together

Iolaos
10-31-2011, 21:57
Hey with the Vigiles (town watch), can we script them so that their presence lowers the damage done by disasters, since that their job (equally important as maintaining peace)?

Macedon1an
11-01-2011, 20:52
Hey with the Vigiles (town watch), can we script them so that their presence lowers the damage done by disasters, since that their job (equally important as maintaining peace)?

That would be awesome !

Domen
07-12-2012, 04:11
-Bull Warriors

These guys existed and was called Coe.... (?) something. I don't remember the Latin name at the moment - but I remmeber reading about them.