PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of the Green Dragon

TinCow
10-10-2011, 19:17
http://totalwar.org/lotgd/2.png (http://www.totalwar.org/lotgd/)

Welcome to The Org's Legend of the Green Dragon server!
http://www.totalwar.org/lotgd/

So what's this all about then?
Well, the Org is a forum and we do a lot of forum gaming here. So, now we have an automated browser-based RPG of our very own. LotGD is a browser-based port of an old BBS game called Legend of the Red Dragon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Red_Dragon). In short, it's a text-based multiplayer RPG where each player has a character with stats and equipment. Every game day, players have a certain number of actions they can perform, including adventuring, leveling up, buying weapons/armor, etc. Players can also fight each other and interact in various social manners, such as creating and joining clans. It's very old-school, but also very fun. We hope it will provide some additional entertainment for all of the Org forum-gaming community.

To start playing, all you need to do is go to the Org's LotGD server, create a character (the link is in the top left corner), and log on. If this is your first time playing, I highly recommend that you read the FAQ first to help you get oriented. It's a relatively simple game, but there are a lot of options which can be slightly overwhelming when you first start playing. Do not hesitate to ask questions; we'll do our best to give you answers.

For ease-of-reference, here is the in-game FAQ:

Welcome to Legend of the Green Dragon

You wake up one day, and you're in a village for some reason. You wander around, bemused, until you stumble upon the main village square. Once there you start asking lots of stupid questions. People (who are mostly naked for some reason) throw things at you. You escape by ducking into a nearby building and find a rack of pamphlets by the door. The title of the pamphlet reads: "Everything You Wanted to Know About the LotGD, but Were Afraid to Ask." Looking furtively around to make sure nobody's watching, you open one and read:

"So, you're a Newbie. Welcome to the club. Here you will find answers to the questions that plague you. Well, actually you will find answers to the questions that plagued US. So, here, read and learn, and leave us alone!"

New Player Primer
The village square
Legend of the Green Dragon (LotGD) is turning out to be a fairly expansive game, with a lot of areas to explore. It's easy to get lost with all that there is to do out there, so keep in mind that the village square is pretty much the center of the village you start in. This area will give you access to most other areas that you can get to, with a few exceptions (we'll talk about those in a little while). If you ever get lost, or are not sure what's going on, head to the village square and regain your bearings.

Your first day
Your first day in the world can be very confusing! You're presented with a lot of information, and you don't need almost any of it! It's true! One thing you should probably keep an eye on though, are your hit points. This is found under "Vital Info." No matter what profession you choose, in the end, you are some kind of warrior or fighter, and so you need to learn how to do battle. The best way to do this is to look for creatures to kill in the forest. When you find one, check it out, and make sure that it's not a higher level than you, because if it is, you might not live through the fight. Keep in mind that you can always try to run away from something that you encountered, but sometimes it might take several tries before you get away. You might want to buy armor and weapons in the village square in order to give yourself a better chance against these creatures out in the forest.

Once you have defeated a creature, you'll notice that you're probably a little hurt. Head on over to the Healer's Hut, and you can get patched up in short order. While you're level 1, healing is free, but as you advance, it becomes more and more expensive. Also keep in mind that it's more expensive to heal 1 point, then later heal 1 point again than it is to heal 2 in one shot. So if you're trying to save up some money, and you're barely hurt, you might risk a fight or two while you're a little hurt, and heal the damage from several fights in one shot.

After you've killed a few creatures, you should head back to the village, into Bluspring's Warrior Training, and talk to your master. Your master will tell you when you are ready to challenge him, and when you are ready, you should give him a shot (make sure you're healed up first though!). Your master won't kill you if you lose, instead he'll give you a complimentary healing potion and send you on your way.

Death
Death is a natural part of any game that contains some kind of combat. In Legend of the Green Dragon, being dead is only a temporary condition. When you die, you'll lose any money that you had on hand (money in the bank is safe!), and some of the experience you've accumulated. While you're dead, you can explore the land of the shades and the graveyard. In the graveyard, you'll find Ramius the Overlord of Death. He has certain things that he would like you to do for him, and in return, he may grant you special powers or favors. The graveyard is one of those areas that you can't get to from the main Square. In fact, while you're dead, you can't go to the village square at all!

Unless you can convince Ramius to resurrect you, you'll remain dead until the next game day. There are 4 game days each real day. These occur when the clock in the village square reaches midnight.

New Days
As stated just above, there are 4 game days each real day. These occur when the clock in the village square reaches midnight. When you get a new day, you'll be granted new forest fights, interest on gold you have in the bank (if the bankers are pleased with your performance!), and a lot of your other statistics will be refreshed. You'll also be resurrected if you were dead, and get another chance to take on the world. If you don't log on over the course of an entire game day, you'll miss your opportunity to partake in that game day (this means that new game days are only assigned when you actually log on, being away from the game for a few days won't grant you a whole bunch of new days). Forest fights, PvP battles, special power usages and other things that get refreshed on a daily basis do NOT get carried over from one day to the next (you can't build up a whole bunch of them).

PvP (Player versus Player)
Legend of the Green Dragon contains a PvP element, where players can attack each other. As a new player, you are protected from PvP for your first 5 game days or until you accumulate 1500 experience, unless you choose to attack another player. Some servers might have the PvP aspect turned off, in which case there is no chance that you'll be attacked by any other players. You can tell if the server you play on has PvP turned off by looking in the village square for "Slay Other Players." If it's not there, you can't engage (or be engaged) in PvP.

When you are attacked and die in PvP, you only lose gold you had on hand, and 5% of your experience. You won't lose any turns in the forest, or any other stats. If you attack someone else in PvP, you'll get 10% of the experience they had, and any gold they had on hand. If you attack someone else and lose, however, you'll lose 10% of your experience, and you'll lose any gold that you had on hand. If someone else attacks you and they lose, you'll gain the gold they had on hand, and 10% of their experience. You can only attack someone who is close to your level, so don't worry that as a level 1, some big level 15 player is going to come along and beat on you.

If you buy a room in the inn when you decide to quit the game, you'll protect yourself somewhat from casual attacking. The only way for someone to attack you when you're in the inn is for them to bribe the bartender, which can be a costly procedure. Quitting to the fields means that someone can attack you without having to pay money or gems to the bartender. You cannot be attacked while you are online, only while you are offline, so the more you play, the more protected you are ;-). Also, if you are attacked and die, no one else can attack you again until you log on again, so don't worry that you'll be attacked 30 or 40 times in one night. Logging back into the game will make you a viable PvP target again if you've already been killed today.

Ready to take on the world!
You should now have a pretty good idea of how the basics of the game work, how to advance, and how to protect yourself. There's a whole lot more to the world, so explore it! Don't be afraid of dying, particularly when you're young, as even when you're dead, there's yet more stuff to do!

General Questions:
1. What is the purpose of this game?
To get chicks.
Seriously, though. The purpose is to slay the green dragon.

2. How do I find the green dragon?
You can't.
Well, sort of. You can't find her until you've reached a certain level. When you're at that level, it will be immediately obvious.

3. How do I increase my level?
Send us money.
No, don't send money - you increase your experience by fighting creatures in the forest. Once you've gotten enough experience, you can challenge your master in the village.

Well, you can send us money if you want (see PayPal link).

4. Why can't I beat my master?
He's far too wily for the likes of you.
Did you ask him if you have enough experience?
Have you tried purchasing some armor or weapons in the village?

5. I used up all my turns. How do I get more?
Send money.
No, put your wallet away. There *are* a few ways to get an extra turn or two, but by and large you just have to wait for tomorrow. When a new day comes you'll have more energy.
Don't bother asking us what those few ways are - some things are fun to find on your own.

6. When does a new day start?
Right after the old one ends.

7. Arghhh, you guys are killing me with your smart answers - can't you just give me a straight answer?
Nope.
Well, okay, new days correspond with the clock in the village (can also be viewed from other places). When the clock strikes midnight, expect a new day to begin. The number of times a clock in LotGD strikes midnight per calendar day may vary by server. Beta server has 4 play days per calendar day, main server at LotGD.net has 2. Other servers depend on the admin.
This server has 4 days per calendar day.

8. Something's gone wrong!!! How do I let you know?
Send money. Better yet, send a petition. A petition should not say 'this doesn't work' or 'I'm broken' or 'I can't log in' or 'yo. Sup?' A petition *should* be very complete in describing *what* doesn't work. Please tell us what happened, what the error message is (copy and paste is your friend), when it occurred, and anything else that may be helpful. "I'm broken" is not helpful. "There are salmon flying out of my monitor when I log in" is much more descriptive as well as humorous, although there's not much we can do about it. In general, please be patient with these requests - many people play the game, and as long as the admin is swamped with 'yo - Sup?' petitions, it will take some time to sift through them.

9. What if all I have to say is 'yo - sup?'?
If you don't have something nice (or useful, or interesting, or creative that adds to the general revelry of the game) to say, don't say anything.
But if you do want to converse with someone, send them an email through Ye Olde Post Office.

10. How do I use emotes?
Type :, ::, or /me before your text.

11. What's an emote?
Farmgirl AnObviousAnswer punches you in the gut.
That's an emote. You can emote in the village if you want to do an action rather than simply speaking.

12. How do you get colors in your name?
Eat funny mushrooms.
No, put that mushroom away, colors are given out by a site's admin for a variety of reasons -- for example it might signify that the character was integral to the beta-testing process - finding a bug, helping to create creatures, etc, or being married to the admin (*cough*Appleshiner*cough*). Check with your admins to find out how they grant colors.

13. Sup dOOd, iz it cool 2 uz common IM wurds in the village? Cuz u no, it's faster. R u down wit that?
NO, for the love of Pete, use full words and good grammar, PLEASE! These are not words: U, R, Ur, Cya, K, Kay, d00d, L8tr, sup, na and anything else like that!

14. Does that Curious Looking Rock have a purpose?
Of course it does! It confuses newbies!
Seriously, a wise man once said, "Good things come to those who wait." This should also be applied to the Rock.

15. Wow, there are mounts AND familiars in the stables! Can I have one of each?
(Oh for the love of... [we get this question a lot])
No! Not! Nix! Nada! You can only have one creature at a time. Not two. Certainly not three. Four is right out. Five? You must be joking! Now all together now, HOW many companion creatures can you have at a time?

16. Why not?
Because we're big meanies. Actually, the game's code just doesn't allow for that right now. It might in the next version, then again it might not. Please stop asking!

17. What's with the <clan> thingies before peoples' names?
<clan> Clan Member ClanMember strikes you with the flat side of his weapon.
"You dare claim ignorance of my clan's famous deeds? I am ClanMember, a member of the mighty clan CLAN, which is short for Completely Ludicrous And Nonsensical! We have performed many a deed after having planned it in the privacy of our Clan Hall. Our leaders and officers are among the mightiest in the land. Bolstered by the support of our friends and clanmates, we prevail!"

18. I am so confused! What is going on in the village square/Garden/Inn/etc.?
A hubbub.
The fact is that because there's so many people, there can be several conversations happening at once in any given area. Also, the thing to understand is that not all the comments are posted immediately, and that sometimes a person won't press the refresh or add button for several minutes, during which time more comments could have been said that the person missed while they were typing their own. Not to worry, though. Don't be shy, join in!

General Questions with spoilers:
(Warning, the FAQs below might contain some spoilers, so if you really want to discover things on your own, you'd be better off not reading too far. This is not a manual. It's a self-help pamphlet.)
1. What are gems for?
Gems are magical portals into the future. Gaze into the depths of a gem and you can see that which is to come.
Gullible? We sure hope not!
Lots of people love those little gemstones and are willing to trade things for them. Your local bartender is something of a gemologist.

2. How do you get gems?
To the mines with you!!
Actually, you can't mine them. (Well, you can, but only if you get lucky and find the mine. Warning though, mines can be dangerous.) Gems can be found in the forest during 'special events' that happen randomly - if you play often enough, you're bound to stumble across one at some point. Gems can also be gained very occasionally from a forest fight.

3. Why do some people seem to have so many hitpoints at a low level?
Cause they're bigger than you.
No, really, they *are* bigger than you. You'll be big too someday.

4. Does that have something to do with the titles that people have?
But of course!
Indeed, every time you kill the dragon, you return to level one. If you kill the dragon enough times, you get a new title. So low level players with titles have had opportunities to embiggen themselves. (see Hall of Fame)

5. What's a buff?
It's what we use to shine our shoes.
Did you think it was some sort of temporary or permanent effect which affects your stats in a positive or negative manner? Hah!

6. Why does that old man keep hitting me with an ugly/pretty stick in the forest?
You look like a piñata!
It's a special event that can add or remove charm.

7. Well, what's the point of charm?
To get chicks (or guys).
Well, actually, that *is* the point. Visit some folks at the Inn, and you ought to be able to figure this one out. The more charm you have, the more successful you'll be at wooing said folks.

8. Okay, I saw the man in the forest and he hit me with his ugly stick, but it says I'm uglier than the stick, and I made it lose a charm point. What's going on?
You're clearly the least charming person on the planet. And if you're the person who actually *asked* this question, you're also the dumbest. Use a little power of inference, wouldja? No. Really.
Okay, we did say you were the dumbest, so: it means you currently have zero charm points.

9. How do I check my charm?
Take a peek in the mirror once in a while.
We jest - there's no mirror. You'll have to ask a friend how you look today - the responses may be vague, but they'll give you a clue how you're doing.

10. Who is the Management?
Appleshiner, Foilwench and Catscradler are in charge of this FAQ, but if something goes wrong, blame MightyE or Kendaer. They're in charge of everything else. To get ahold of them, or one of their trusty helpers, use the Petition for Help link.

11. How did they get to be so darn attractive, anyway?
Lots of at-home facials, my dear!! MightyE especially enjoys the Grapefruit Essence Facial Masque.

Specific and Technical Questions:
1.a. How can I have been killed by another player while I was currently playing?
The biggest cause of this is someone who began attacking you while you were offline, and completed the fight while you were online. This can even happen if you have been playing nonstop for the last hour. When someone starts a fight, they are forced by the game to finish it at some point. If they start a fight with you, and close their browser, the next time they log on, they will have to finish the fight. You will lose the lesser of the gold you had on hand when they attacked you, or the gold on hand when they finished the fight. So if you logged out with 1 gold on hand, they attack you, you log on, accumulate 2000 gold on hand, and they complete the fight, they will only come away from it with 1 gold. The same is true if you logged out with 2000 gold, and when they completed killing you, you only had 1 gold.

1.b. Why did it say I was killed in the fields when I slept in the inn?
The same thing can happen where someone started attacking you when you were in the fields, and finished after you had retired to the inn for the day. Keep in mind that if you are idle on the game for too long, you become a valid target for others to attack you in the fields. If you're going to go away from your computer for a few minutes, it's a good idea to head to the inn for your room first so that you don't risk someone attacking you while you're idle.

2. The game tells me that I'm not accepting cookies, what are they and what do I do?
Cookies are little bits of data that websites store on your computer so they can distinguish you from other players. Sometimes if you have a firewall it will block cookies, and some web browsers will let you block cookies. Check the documentation for your browser or firewall, or look around in its preferences for settings to modify whether or not you accept cookies. You need to at least accept session cookies to play the game, though all cookies are better.

3. What do
Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/lotgd/public_html/dbwrapper.php on line 82
and
Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/lotgd/public_html/dbwrapper.php on line 54
mean?
It's a secret message from your computer telling you to stop staring at a screen and to go play outside.
Actually, it's a common temporary error, usually having to do with server load. Don't worry about it, just reload the page (it may take a few tries).

4. Nothing is responding for hours now - what should I do ?
Go outside play a bit in Real Life (tm). When you get back it will work again - if not it's a serious problem. Any server problems are caught less then 5 minutes after occurring, so if there is a problem, it's known - and we are working on it. Every mail and ye olde mail reporting the same problem is just making it harder for us to work.

5. Why is the site giving me so many popups?
Please turn off your popup blocker. These aren't ads.
We use popup windows in the game for the following purposes:
a) To file a petition.
b) To write and receive Ye Olde Mail.
c) To make sure you see our newest Message of the Day (MoTD).
That last one is very important, since until you've viewed it the window will continue to try to open on every page load. These messages are for server announcements such as outages, current known bugs (which you really don't have to petition about, since we already know of them), and other things that the staff think you need to know about right away.</clan></clan>

Additional Info about the Org Server:
Races - Here are the races currently available on the Org server, with an explanation of the benefits of each one:
Human - Receive 2 extra turns per day.
Elf - Received a defensive bonus.
Troll - Receives an offensive bonus.
Dwarf - Receives extra gold after each battle.

Some races may also have specific advantages or disadvantages on special encounters, but those are for you to find out for yourself...

Specialties - Here are the specialties currently available on the Org server, with an explanation of the benefits of each one:
Dark Arts - Cast spells which are generally offensive/damaging in nature.
Mystic Powers - Cast spells which are generally defensive/healing in nature.
Thieving Skills - Use stealth-based abilities in combat... and perhaps elsewhere.

There is also a fourth specialty, but what it is, what it does, and how to unlock it is information which remains secret...

More races and specialties may be added as time goes by. We plan to gradually introduce more content as the game progresses to keep things a bit new and provide for surprises and developments.

Have fun!

Beskar
10-11-2011, 07:45
I am surprised you didn't add the typical "Warrior Class"

Also, how did you get level 7 so fast? I smell cheats!*
This comment is said in jest.

Death is yonder
10-11-2011, 11:31
Simple, yet strangely addictive :dizzy2:

But now I know who to shoot! :stare:

*aims down LazyMcCrow with his sights*

LazyMcCrow
10-11-2011, 11:48
Whenever you've got that tomato off your face, my friend, come back for some more

Fisherking
10-11-2011, 12:54
I am surprised you didn't the typical "Warrior Class"

I don’t know what words you left out of the first line but it isn’t making perfect sense.

Also TC installed and tested the game earlier this week. I tried it out a bit too.

He was at 5th level when I logged in an has risen two levels since.

As you can see, there are 4 days in the game for every real 24 hour day so it can go fairly quickly at the lower levels.

Anyway, TC has done more than a little work on this project and makes some changes daily to events and such.

I think there is a lot to the game we have not seen as yet.

Thanks TC for all the entertainment!

TinCow
10-11-2011, 13:26
I am surprised you didn't the typical "Warrior Class"

I do plan on adding more specialties to the game, as well as races. Fear not, you will not have to create a new character to take advantage of new specialties. There is already a way to change your specialty in the game, though no one may have discovered it yet. (And I'm not telling! :laugh4:)

Yeah, some of the staff members have been playing for several days as part of the testing process. We're all really low level in the scheme of things though, as no one has even killed the dragon yet. In this game, power tends to get measured in DKs (Dragon Kills). Your individual levels between DKs are a bit less important.

Death is yonder
10-11-2011, 14:21
Ah, a specialty changing one exists!

For interested and parties disgruntled with their diminutive stature or pointy ears or otherwise , there's also a way to change your race, so no need to create a new character too :wink:

Beskar
10-11-2011, 14:38
I missed the word "Add"... evil early mornings.

TinCow
10-11-2011, 15:12
One thing I would like to mention... pretty much everything in the game is customizable. The current names of everything, including the village, NPCs, monsters, mounts, equipment, masters, etc. are default names. It might be fun to give the game some Org-specific flavor by changing things to Orgish names. If anyone has some suggestions for such a thing, please post them.

Fisherking
10-11-2011, 15:49
Well now, Ser could run the inn and froggy could be the withchy woman in the forest.

That should start it off.

TheLastDays
10-11-2011, 16:25
I have player LoGD quite a lot a few years ago. Both pretty "vanilla" ones like the version on this server and heavily modified ones with custom events and the strangest of things happening... In the end it took too much of my time which is why I'm going to opt out of this one but it can be a lot of fun, so good luck killing the dragon(s) :tongue:

Beskar
10-11-2011, 17:25
The hero, MightyE should be renamed Sasaki Kojiro.
Crazy Cat Lady can be Secura (she has cats)
The gambling guy who takes all your money should be Askthepizzaguy, the Dark Horse Inn should be renamed "The Tavern"

TinCow
10-12-2011, 21:13
To make the fights a bit more interesting, I have added new monsters at the higher levels of the game. Unlike normal monsters, these ones will not just sit there and bash on you until you die. No, they will do all kinds of interesting and horrific things that may well get you killed when you encounter them. I'll let you discover what this nastiness is for yourselves, but here are the names of the new monsters and the levels they will appear in:

Level 7 - Goblin Boxer
Level 8 - Soul Fiend
Level 9 - Robin Hood
Level 10 - The Black Knight
Level 11 - Regeneration Slime
Level 12 - Killer Bee Queen
Level 13 - Goblin Shaman
Level 14 - Horrifying Slime
Level 15 - Changeling

Some of these creatures will only show their true power to veteran dragon slayers.

In addition, all bats have been given a new power. Bats of various kinds appear on every level from 1 to 12.

I'm not 100% certain that the scripts that run these new monsters are completely bug-free, so if you encounter them and they seem to be buggy for some reason, please tell me what you observed that seems wrong.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-12-2011, 21:26
I killed a small child with a rake :stare:

TinCow
10-12-2011, 21:35
I killed a small child with a rake :stare:

Better than using your fists, I suppose.

LazyMcCrow
10-12-2011, 22:07
I killed Someone's Grandfather with a Garden Hoe :)

Beskar
10-12-2011, 22:30
Annoying, if I hit any mobs my level or higher, I just die. Have to restort to "Slumming It", even then, nothing is guarenteed as they still crop up and it is impossible to run. Farm for abit "Just one more win for that upgrade...." bam, dead.

LazyMcCrow
10-12-2011, 22:48
Have you got yourself some decent weapons and armour yet?
(eg. I am lvl 5 and have weapon that adds 6 and armour that adds 5 so combined = 11 attack and 10 def.)
And I don't lose.

Montmorency
10-12-2011, 23:07
The best strategy would be to accumulate 20000 gold as Lvl 1 and then beat everyone up with the best weapons.

Beskar
10-13-2011, 02:53
The best strategy would be to accumulate 20000 gold as Lvl 1 and then beat everyone up with the best weapons.

Hah, I kept getting this random level 5 mob one-shotting me almost as a level one. I haven't a clue why. Though at the moment, I am level 4 (I think) and anytime I get any money, I end up in a really bad match up and simply lose all of my cash. I had 700 gold on me before my last death. I might consider simply just despositing it in the bank after every fight, at least then, I don't lose the money.

Edit: Congrats on our first Green Dragon kill! Haven't a clue who it was though. "gurgeh"

Also, DIY, attacking me on your main and your alts. Though what disturbs me is how much better your gear is! I only have the Adze and you got the Hedge Trimmers! No wonder I am doing so badly, my gear is really awful.

Montmorency
10-13-2011, 02:55
Ha, worst I fought was a Lvl 2. Would have kept at it if I hadn't accidentally beaten my master.

Fisherking
10-13-2011, 09:09
To make the fights a bit more interesting, I have added new monsters at the higher levels of the game. Unlike normal monsters, these ones will not just sit there and bash on you until you die. No, they will do all kinds of interesting and horrific things that may well get you killed when you encounter them. I'll let you discover what this nastiness is for yourselves, but here are the names of the new monsters and the levels they will appear in:

Level 7 - Goblin Boxer
Level 8 - Soul Fiend
Level 9 - Robin Hood
Level 10 - The Black Knight
Level 11 - Regeneration Slime
Level 12 - Killer Bee Queen
Level 13 - Goblin Shaman
Level 14 - Horrifying Slime
Level 15 - Changeling

Some of these creatures will only show their true power to veteran dragon slayers.

In addition, all bats have been given a new power. Bats of various kinds appear on every level from 1 to 12.

I'm not 100% certain that the scripts that run these new monsters are completely bug-free, so if you encounter them and they seem to be buggy for some reason, please tell me what you observed that seems wrong.

I can tell you now, if you find the black knight it may be better to run. The experience points you get for the fight are just not worth it. And the money is not all that good either.

You only get 22 Eps for the fight, if you live and the money is only in the 150 range.

It should be 10 to 20 times that amount, seeing all you have to go through.

White_eyes:D
10-13-2011, 09:20
Also, DIY, attacking me on your main and your alts. Though what disturbs me is how much better your gear is! I only have the Adze and you got the Hedge Trimmers! No wonder I am doing so badly, my gear is really awful.Dwarfs get extra money from fights and it shows, since DIY just started that guy. Humans get the extra turns for more xp thing. Elves get passive defense bonus and it stacks per 5 lvls. Trolls....I have no idea yet.

Death is yonder
10-13-2011, 10:30
Hah, I kept getting this random level 5 mob one-shotting me almost as a level one. I haven't a clue why. Though at the moment, I am level 4 (I think) and anytime I get any money, I end up in a really bad match up and simply lose all of my cash. I had 700 gold on me before my last death. I might consider simply just despositing it in the bank after every fight, at least then, I don't lose the money.

Edit: Congrats on our first Green Dragon kill! Haven't a clue who it was though. "gurgeh"

Also, DIY, attacking me on your main and your alts. Though what disturbs me is how much better your gear is! I only have the Adze and you got the Hedge Trimmers! No wonder I am doing so badly, my gear is really awful.

After a series of near misses and an actual death in level 1 and 2 I've taken to literally depositing all my gold after healing up every fight. That way I have no fear if I find some mine, unless of course I have plenty of turns remaining!

And I don't think I attacked you on my alt Beskie, but anyway it should be deleted already, as per my request to Tincow.

I can tell you now, if you find the black knight it may be better to run. The experience points you get for the fight are just not worth it. And the money is not all that good either.

You only get 22 Eps for the fight, if you live and the money is only in the 150 range.

It should be 10 to 20 times that amount, seeing all you have to go through.

Not sure about it, but in my experience the rewards from fights are typically greatly varied. As a level 5 dwarf a while back, I had the same mobs giving me a range from 20+ gold to 400+ gold. But perhaps its fixed for these special ones.

Dwarfs get extra money from fights and it shows, since DIY just started that guy. Humans get the extra turns for more xp thing. Elves get passive defense bonus and it stacks per 5 lvls. Trolls....I have no idea yet.

I was actually wondering how much more, and was greatly surprised to see a very very tangible difference when I played the first three levels as a human on a testing alt.

Curious who gurgeh is though, that fellow has nerves of steel. Apparently he gambled his way to massive riches :laugh4: and I thought the games were rigged!

Visor
10-13-2011, 10:58
Played this ages ago on another site.

Needs Until End button in fights.

TinCow
10-13-2011, 14:38
The Black Knight does indeed appear to be bugged. It is consistently handing out less exp and gold than other creatures of the same level. I have not been able to figure out why it is doing this or how to fix it, so I have disabled the creature.

Fisherking
10-13-2011, 18:36
Played this ages ago on another site.

Needs Until End button in fights.

Wouldn’t that rule out using some powers or running away if things go south?

I’ll just keep punching “F” if it is all the same.

TinCow
10-14-2011, 01:29
An additional Forest Special has been added.

Csargo
10-14-2011, 02:13
I've become a blob!

Populus Romanus
10-14-2011, 02:30
:bigcry: I attacked .Orgstaff and got killed instantly! I should have had at least some warning of the beat down I was about to recieve. It said they were only level 1!:laugh4:

Montmorency
10-14-2011, 02:37
The darned bankers are keeping me down with artificially low interest rates!

Fisherking
10-14-2011, 06:04
:bigcry: I attacked .Orgstaff and got killed instantly! I should have had at least some warning of the beat down I was about to recieve. It said they were only level 1!:laugh4:

You should see what he can do to a troll. :yes:

I've become a blob!

I bet that dose wonders for your charm points. :laugh4:

Will it ware off?

Do you know how to change back?

I can tell you for a small fee…:deal2:

Ishmael
10-14-2011, 06:16
Do you know how to change back?

I can tell you for a small fee…:deal2:

Don't pay him! All you have to do is examine the stocks!

Fisherking
10-14-2011, 10:17
Don't pay him! All you have to do is examine the stocks!

Just remember that advice is worth what you pay for it. :evil3:

Advice like that will only get you haunted mercilessly. :sneaky:

Visor
10-14-2011, 10:26

:laugh4: I did the exact same thing.

TinCow
10-15-2011, 13:52
As Halloween is only about two weeks away, I have added a large amount of Halloween-themed content to the game. The majority of this can be found in a special town called Esoterra. You can get there by buying a ticket from Vernon's Trade Stall, then riding the caravan. Have fun!

A side note: in order to activate Esoterra, I had to enable a 'multiple cities' module of the game. As a result, Orghalburg is now the 'Capital', with four additional villages which can be reached by traveling. You can no longer access the Forest from Orghalburg itself. To fight, you must now travel to one of the four villages. Everyone gets a total of 4 free travels per day, with 1 free travel being used up with each direction you travel to. In essence, you get two free round trips from Orghalburg to one of the villages per day. You can travel more frequently than this, but if you do not use a free travel you risk being attacked along the way. Be aware of this when determining how long you stay out in the villages fighting. At the moment, the villages themselves are relatively small and there's not much to do there beyond fight. However, some do have a few extra features that cannot be found in Orghalburg, so do check them out. The villages themselves will get more content later.

Fisherking
10-15-2011, 17:11
When I was on earlier, I viewed kill players, or what ever it is called.

I was disturbed to see low level players sleeping in the fields, who should have been safe from slaying.

I left the alone, and I hope the rest of you do too, until things get worked out with the changes.

TinCow
10-15-2011, 18:10
When I was on earlier, I viewed kill players, or what ever it is called.

I was disturbed to see low level players sleeping in the fields, who should have been safe from slaying.

Players become killable whenever they meet any of these requirements: (1) More than 1500 experience, (2) Have existed for 5 or more game days, (3) have tried to kill someone. I have not seen anyone show up as killable who did not meet one of these requirements.

Fisherking
10-15-2011, 21:31
Players become killable whenever they meet any of these requirements: (1) More than 1500 experience, (2) Have existed for 5 or more game days, (3) have tried to kill someone. I have not seen anyone show up as killable who did not meet one of these requirements.

I did. 4 of them Levels 2 & 3. I am pretty sure they all didn’t try to kill some one but maybe it was just a momentary glitch.

Beskar
10-16-2011, 01:25
Haha, everyone and their grand-mother is attacking me and defeating me.

Though, I feel sorry for Johnhughthom, only person to combat me and get defeated, then decided to Haunt me from the underworld in revenge.

johnhughthom
10-16-2011, 10:04
Haha, everyone and their grand-mother is attacking me and defeating me.

Though, I feel sorry for Johnhughthom, only person to combat me and get defeated, then decided to Haunt me from the underworld in revenge.

I attacked you with half health, I went to the healer just beforehand and must not have clicked the heal properly. It was still a close run thing.

TinCow
10-16-2011, 13:02
I did. 4 of them Levels 2 & 3. I am pretty sure they all didn’t try to kill some one but maybe it was just a momentary glitch.

What were the character names?

TinCow
10-17-2011, 14:23
Two special encounters are now possible while traveling.

I also have a clan warfare module ready to activate, but it is useless with fewer than two clans. Accordingly, it will only be turned on once a second clan has been formed.

[edit] A new mount has also been added, the Old Blind Nag. It does not provide any additional forest fights, but it gives a defensive buff, allows access to the Dark Horse Tavern at any time, and has a chance of saving your life in one specific forest special.

In addition, all horses now provide 2 extra free travels per day.

Kagemusha
10-17-2011, 16:04
There is a new troll in town! ;)

Ishmael
10-17-2011, 20:49
There is a new troll in town! ;)

Ishmael happy to see other troll. People pick on Ishmael because they use words like so-phee-stee-cay-ted and Ishmael don't. Other troll help Ishmael beat them into bloody stains on the ground.

TinCow
10-18-2011, 14:48
Hooray! Clans have a purpose now!

The Clan Pyramids system has been activated. This is essentially a clan warfare/competition system. There are three pyramids which are accessible to clan members from the village square. Clan members can enter them and battle through them to gain control of the pyramids for their clan. Kills in the Clan Pyramids are tracked as part of a competition to determine a monthly winner for boasting purposes. In addition, if a single clan controls all three pyramids simultaneously, they will receive a buff during forest fights. Clans can also spend gold to improve the defenses of pyramids they control and (I think) their ability to fight inside pyramids.

Kagemusha
10-18-2011, 15:00
Ishmael happy to see other troll. People pick on Ishmael because they use words like so-phee-stee-cay-ted and Ishmael don't. Other troll help Ishmael beat them into bloody stains on the ground.

Gah! All the palefacelongears,longfeetbignoses and midgetsbeards should be da stomped!Go Troll or go home!

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
10-18-2011, 16:32
I KEEP DYING!!

:sad: :sad:

johnhughthom
10-18-2011, 16:36
I KEEP DYING!!

:sad: :sad:

I kept dying too, until I discovered that equipment is more important than level. And that having a grizzly bear to soak up damage is an auto win button.

10-18-2011, 16:40
How do I get such a thing?

johnhughthom
10-18-2011, 16:53
There is a place called the bestarium (I think) in one of the villages, and a grizzly costs 600 gold and 4 gems. It can be healed in the healers hut, though it's pretty expensive, and it seems to level up with you. It doesn't take part in pvp fights though.

Fisherking
10-19-2011, 20:13
It is in the dwarf village. But you can get good mercenaries right in the main town at the mercenary camp.

I think you can have more than one but it dose cost more to heal them than it dose to heal your self.

Also you can have a mount and that will help with travel and for a short while with your attack/defense.

Beskar
10-20-2011, 10:47
Can you change it so symbols can be used for Clan tags? I came up with the best idea ever, and Frogeggbeast rejected it!

http://www.edlazorvfx.com/ysu/html/ascii.html

There are tons of things like the "White Horse" so you could be the 'White Knights' with the horse as your symbol, for example.

johnhughthom
10-20-2011, 13:26
Is there anyway to stop myself being in very low spirits every single day and losing two fights, thus making the game even more of a grind.

TinCow
10-20-2011, 13:34
Can you change it so symbols can be used for Clan tags? I came up with the best idea ever, and Frogeggbeast rejected it!

http://www.edlazorvfx.com/ysu/html/ascii.html

There are tons of things like the "White Horse" so you could be the 'White Knights' with the horse as your symbol, for example.

I have no idea, but I'll look into it.

Is there anyway to stop myself being in very low spirits every single day and losing two fights, thus making the game even more of a grind.

Your daily spirits are randomly determined, between very low (-2), low (-1), neutral (0), high (+1), and very high(+2). If you're getting very low every day, it's because you've had a string of bad luck.

johnhughthom
10-20-2011, 13:39
There isn't a racial modifier, is there? Being a dwarf makes you naturally gloomy or something.

TheLastDays
10-20-2011, 14:42
It's bad karma because of your sig :clown:

Beskar
10-20-2011, 15:35
There isn't a racial modifier, is there? Being a dwarf makes you naturally gloomy or something.

Get the Stallion, more turns that way. My character is more often low spirits then not as well.

10-20-2011, 16:10
I'M STUCK IN THE FORBIDDEN PYMARID, PLEASE HELP ME!!

TinCow
10-20-2011, 16:11
I'M STUCK IN THE FORBIDDEN PYMARID, PLEASE HELP ME!!

Conquer the throne room, or move to square A1 to exit.

10-20-2011, 16:13
Conquer the throne room, or move to square A1 to exit.

How do I do the first?

TinCow
10-20-2011, 17:27
How do I do the first?

The throne room is at the center of the pyramid. Move there and you'll figure it out.

Ishmael
10-21-2011, 01:05
I moved to the throne room, but there were no extra options apart from the 'north south east west' movement ones.

EDIT: nevermind, it's probably because my clan controls all the pyramids already.

Montmorency
10-21-2011, 06:20
You chose to live by the sword. You shall die by the tree branch.

johnhughthom
10-22-2011, 00:11
Gah, I forgot to go to the bank before logging off and some evil Tech Admin, rumour has it he is bureaucratically efficient, killed me and stole 6500. We trust this guy with our beloved org?

Montmorency
10-22-2011, 02:38
If you want to fight against him and his ilk, then join the Org clan: they can give you protection.

Beskar
10-22-2011, 21:49
You have encountered Rabid Mother-in-Law which lunges at you with TinCow's Y-Fronts!

:laugh4:

johnhughthom
10-22-2011, 21:50
Don't let Scienter see that one.

Beskar
10-23-2011, 05:50
Don't let Scienter see that one.

I wonder if there is a story to that one, like an in-joke. TinCow was staying over and his Y-fronts myseriously turned up somewhere, which made her cross and she found him to fling them at him or similar.

Also, is there anything I can do with this money? I have 100000 gold and everything I can buy wants it in the form of gems.

Montmorency
10-23-2011, 05:52
Withdraw it all and allow me to kill you.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-23-2011, 05:53
I wonder if there is a story to that one, like an in-joke. TinCow was staying over and his Y-fronts myseriously turned up somewhere, which made her cross and she found him to fling them at him or similar.

Also, is there anything I can do with this money? I have 100000 gold and everything I can buy wants it in the form of gems.

As far as I can tell the only real thing to do with it is join a clan and put it in the war vault...then it's spent on clan attack and defense points which help in the pyramids.

Montmorency
10-23-2011, 05:55
Ah, you bet me. :bow:

Beskar
10-23-2011, 06:09
Ended up spending some gems so I cannot form a clan now, doh.

Fisherking
10-23-2011, 12:17
Join a clan then before you go over. DeOrgs are good and will make you an officer (shameless plug)

That gives you more rights than normal members, by the way.

almost like founding your own.

Ishmael
10-24-2011, 08:11
I've had a bit of a problem - whenever I try to force the door in the Orghulburg stables, I get an error message. Is there a way I can fix this?

Montmorency
10-24-2011, 08:25
No, you lousy PKer! Your stolen goods are forfeit.

Beskar
10-24-2011, 18:44
Join a clan then before you go over. DeOrgs are good and will make you an officer (shameless plug)

That gives you more rights than normal members, by the way.

almost like founding your own.

Accept my application then!

Sasaki Kojiro
10-24-2011, 18:54
Let's make an interclan agreement to spend money on attack rather than wall hp...less time spent bashing walls!

TinCow
10-24-2011, 20:24
Two new Forest Specials have been added, one potentially very nice, one potentially very nasty. The Old Cemetery has also been added to Esoterra.

[edit] Two new companions have also been added to the Beastarium.

Fisherking
10-24-2011, 22:16
Accept my application then!

done

Montmorency
10-24-2011, 22:49
Two new Forest Specials have been added, one potentially very nice, one potentially very nasty. The Old Cemetery has also been added to Esoterra.

Bandits?

Populus Romanus
10-25-2011, 02:15
I have noticed that when I try to force the door at the stables a message appears saying there has been a programming error.

Ishmael
10-25-2011, 02:37
It's not just me then. That's good to know.

TinCow
10-25-2011, 14:20
I have noticed that when I try to force the door at the stables a message appears saying there has been a programming error.

This bug has been fixed.

Fisherking
10-25-2011, 17:42
Yep, I saw that the criminal activity. The rascals got pinched. Now off to the stocks!

TinCow
10-28-2011, 14:17
Hitchhiking has been enabled. If you find yourself out of Travel points in one of the villages, you can now hitchhike back to Orgahalburg. There are risks and consequences to this, though.

TinCow
10-30-2011, 16:29
Player-owned dwellings have been added to the game. You can now build dwellings in Orghulburg and any of the villages, except Esoterra. Dwellings can be named, slept in, and have coffers that allow for private storage of gold and gems. The larger dwellings can also offer sleeping space for multiple people, and the owner can give keys to anyone they want to have access to the dwelling. However, there are significant costs and risks to owning a dwelling. First, there is an initial expensive in gold, gems, and turns to build the dwelling. Initial costs do not have to be paid immediately, but can be done on lay-away over the course of multiple gamedays until all expenses are met. Then there are upkeep costs, also in gold, gems, and turns, to maintain the dwelling every once in a while. If upkeep is not paid, the dwelling is put up for sale. In addition, dwellings are not completely secure. Players can break into dwellings and steal from the coffers and kill sleeping players. To counter this, players can stand guard over their coffers and can hire guards to watch them while they sleep. Standing guard over coffers costs turns though, and hiring guards is expensive. In addition, all dwellings cost 20% more in Orghalburg, due to higher real estate prices in the main city.

The dwelling system can be accessed from the Local Dwellings link, which will be under the City/Village Gates category.

The available dwellings are as follows:

Shack
DK Requirement: 1
Cost: 2,500 gold, 5 gems, 10 turns
Upkeep: Every 12 gamedays, must spend 5 turns, 150 gold, and 2 gems.
Sleeping Space: 1 person, owner only
Coffer Max Size: 10,000 gold and 10 gems
Coffer deposit/withdrawal limits (per level per transaction): 100 gold, 2 gems
PvP Guard Cost: 10,000 gold and 10 gems for 14 gamedays of protection.

Farmhouse
DK Requirement: 5
Cost: 20,000 gold, 10 gems, 20 turns
Upkeep: Every 12 gamedays, must spend 5 turns, 1000 gold, and 5 gems.
Sleeping Space: 3 people, guests allowed
Coffer Max Size: 20,000 gold and 20 gems
Coffer deposit/withdrawal limits (per level per transaction): 500 gold, 2 gems
PvP Guard Cost: 20,000 gold and 20 gems for 14 gamedays of protection.

Castle
DK Requirement: 10
Cost: 100,000 gold, 100 gems, 50 turns
Upkeep: Every 12 gamedays, must spend 10 turns, 5000 gold, and 10 gems.
Sleeping Space: 8 people, guests allowed
Coffer Max Size: 50,000 gold and 50 gems
Coffer deposit/withdrawal limits (per level per transaction): 1,000 gold, 2 gems
PvP Guard Cost: 30,000 gold and 30 gems for 14 gamedays of protection.

This is a very complex system, and I have not been able to test and balance every single aspect of it. Please report any bugs you encounter or any balance issues with the system.

Fisherking
10-30-2011, 18:33
Ok, so are turns=forest fights?

Why are upkeep and protection so expensive? Surely that can be gotten around to can’t it?

Are the coffers thief proof?

What happens when you don’t have the cash or gems to pay the upkeep?

Even coming up with 15 gems every time you kill the dragon or every other time would keep you pretty broke.

Fisherking
10-30-2011, 18:40
I agree, the upkeep is too expensive especially when you can sleep in the tavern for 300 gold at max level.

The obvious benefits are the coffers.

They allow you to keep gold when you kill the dragon!

But the deposit/withdrawal limits sort of limit that benefit. It is not clear if you can sit and deposit/withdraw as many times as you like or just once in 24 hours like money transfers.

The gold is what you need at first level and if you can’t get to it, then it is worthless having it, even if you can get it all out when you are 10 level and then you don’t need it.

Fisherking
10-30-2011, 18:41
Double post

Beskar
10-30-2011, 18:47
I agree, the upkeep is too expensive especially when you can sleep in the tavern for 300 gold at max level.

TinCow
10-30-2011, 19:03
Upkeep is expensive because of the coffers, which allow you to save gold between DKs, which is otherwise impossible in the game. I am willing to tweak upkeep and coffer withdrawals a bit after we've had some experience with them, but I do not want coffers to give every player level 15 equipment at level 1. That would completely ruin game balance.

Protections are expensive because they are in addition to the usual fight mechanics. Your attacker still has to actually defeat you to kill you, even if you are undefended.

The coffers are not thief-proof, though stealing is not easy. You can also defend your coffers personally by standing guard over them.

Please be aware that castles and, to a certain extent, farmhouses, may be very difficult for a single person to afford on their own. This is intentional. Houses can be used by multiple people, all of whom can sleep, stand guard, etc. If you want a castle, and all the benefit that go with it, you might want to find a few friends willing to share the cost. 10 gems every 12 gamedays is expensive for one person, but it is cheap for 10 people.

TinCow
10-30-2011, 19:09
Note: Something has happened to the installation. The entire dwelling system has somehow disappeared from the server since I installed it. I am investigating now.

Problem fixed.

Fisherking
10-30-2011, 20:47
Then you need to tell us how we can share gems and money.

Right now there is no system for it.

Kagemusha
10-30-2011, 21:04
Gah! You transfer all your money to headsoup and thats it!Me promise to find yooo a niiiiss castel!

Beskar
10-30-2011, 21:10
Who is interested in doing a Castle with me? (Prefer DeOrgah's)

Montmorency
10-30-2011, 21:19
We should all have one castle as a clan. See hall chat.

Fisherking
10-30-2011, 21:34
You need 5 dragon kills (DK) for a farm house and 10 for a castle.

That is not counting the 100k in gold and 100 gems and another 50 forest fights.

It will take a whole lot of people to afford buying one and the upkeep is steep too.

12 game days is only 3 days real time.

For 8 people it is 12 gems each 12,000 gold with another 6 or 7 fights each and I’ll have to do 10 dragon kills just to get us in the ballpark.

That is when TinCow tells us how to share the expense.

Montmorency
10-30-2011, 21:44
Well, hey, that's what, another month? Home ownership is a long-term investment.

Do you need to have 10 kills to stay at a friendly castle?

Fisherking
10-30-2011, 21:51
I get the idea that the official owner gets 8 keys and can pass them out to friends, at least 7 of them.

Also guard duty means less hitpoints and fights in the morning.

Beskar
10-30-2011, 23:17
Well, 8 can sleep, but apparently more can use the castle?

Might be an idea to make a clan one, if we can pull the resources. I am sure the gems and gold exit from the "coffers" when needed.

Though I know TinCow has already nerfed it, but having it start cheaper then raise in price overtime for balancing might be best, as with a few buildings up, it might attract more attention and there aren't that many players as of yet. Especially to iron out any bugs or issues, and there is already a limit on "Withdrawals", but the biggest worry is the affording of upkeep.

Or an alternative, perhaps a Clan Chapter House as another building ?

Fisherking
10-31-2011, 12:33
Well, so far it costs 20,000 more than stated along with another 20 gems and I see no way that others can contribute to its building. Who knows about upkeep.

I don’t know about turns…is that days to build?

One might think a new building would need little or no maintenance for the first 6 months to a year anyway. LOL

TinCow
10-31-2011, 13:42
I have received some questions about the housing system. I'll answer them publicly so that I don't have to repeat myself.

upkeep is due every 12 game days.(3 days RL) What happens when the owner is away for a RL week or two but others are using the house? It could be that most are absent for a time, leaving that burden on just one or two people!

I'm pretty sure that upkeep can be automatically taken out of the coffer, so you can ensure the payment by keeping enough money in there.

Dose everyone get to use the coffer, or only the owner?

Everyone, though the owner can ban people from accessing it.

Dose the upkeep come from the coffer or is it paid some other way?

As stated above, I think it gets drawn from the coffer. I will try and confirm this though.

How do others contribute to the building and upkeep?

For the building, they need to transfer money and gems to the person who is going to build it. I will look into the options currently available on this. For upkeep, they simply need to drop it into the coffer.

I did establish a castle. It tells me that 120 gems are needed and not just 100.

You must have tried in Orghulburg. I specifically said that building in Orghulburg costs 20% more. If you want a cheaper castle, build it in one of the villages.

------------

Again, I want to emphasize that there are a lot of balancing issues still to be worked out with this system. I am very, very wary of ruining game balance with the coffer system, so I am starting out with this on the extreme conservative side. Starting on the liberal side will simply ruin the game, because it risks some people becoming vastly more powerful than others if they can exploit the system before it gets into balance. It's far better to lock the system down tightly and slowly loosen it up than vice versa. If you do not think the housing system is a good investment at current prices, then you should not use it.

TinCow
10-31-2011, 22:21
There is a bug in the Dwellings PvP module. Activating it does something that prevents the "Slay Players" list from showing where PvP-able players are located. I have deactivated the Dwellings PvP system until I can fix this.

Montmorency
10-31-2011, 23:18
For the building, they need to transfer money and gems to the person who is going to build it. I will look into the options currently available on this. For upkeep, they simply need to drop it into the coffer.

Couldn't the system be modified as follows:

Dwelling owner can during financing authorize certain individuals to "interact" with the construction project. As in, authorized players can contribute their own gems, gold, and turns directly. Otherwise, it becomes very difficult to transfer gold, and any gem transfer would likely be one per day, correct?

Death is yonder
11-01-2011, 02:23
There is a bug in the Dwellings PvP module. Activating it does something that prevents the "Slay Players" list from showing where PvP-able players are located. I have deactivated the Dwellings PvP system until I can fix this.

Actually if people are still interesting in slaying players in the meantime, they can manually go to the "List Warriors" thing, and just browse for people who are +/- 2 levels near them and their locations.

Edit: TC seems to have fixed the bug already :yes:

Fisherking
11-01-2011, 13:24

Anything on this yet?

TinCow
11-01-2011, 13:39
Couldn't the system be modified as follows:

Dwelling owner can during financing authorize certain individuals to "interact" with the construction project. As in, authorized players can contribute their own gems, gold, and turns directly. Otherwise, it becomes very difficult to transfer gold, and any gem transfer would likely be one per day, correct?

That sounds great, but I can't do it. Please understand that I did not create this game and am simply installing modules and add-ons to give it more variety and customization. Anything that requires me to change the game code is beyond my abilities. I already tried to make the AI for the Dark Horse Tavern dice game smarter, but I couldn't get the new code to work. I simply don't have the programing knowledge to do these kinds of changes.

Anything on this yet?

There are some options available but I have not had time to add them yet. I'll try and remember to do it this evening.

Death is yonder
11-02-2011, 08:35
The browser shows that I've pressed the H button over the course of this session 3300+ times, I wonder if that's healthy... :thinking:

Darn it "Cathbran", you wasted all my time :cry:

TinCow
11-02-2011, 13:51
Alright, I'm made some changes to help make group purchasing of dwellings a little easier. First, I've tweaked the bank's gold transfer system to allow for players to receive more money per day from others. Players can now transfer and receive 100 gold per level, up from the previous 25. Players can also receive 5 transfer per day now, up from the previous 3. To help avoid this being abused to help out really low level characters, the level requirement to receive transfer is now 5, up from 3. So, if you want to receive a lot of gold from people, get yourself to a high level and sit there for a while so that other people can transfer a lot to you. With multiple players at level 15, it is theoretically possible to transfer 7500 gold to one person each day. That's more than enough to get any dwelling paid for.

As for gems, Clans now have Clan Vaults. These vaults are currently heavily locked down, and are only useful for transferring small numbers of gems. The vaults can hold up to 10 gems at a time, which can be withdrawn by Clan Leaders.

Kagemusha
11-02-2011, 14:44
Is it possible to change the Pyramid system, so the bashing of the walls can be got rid of and for the pyramids to be more like Labyrinths? The bashing of the walls gets rather tiresome very quickly.

TinCow
11-02-2011, 14:47
Is it possible to change the Pyramid system, so the bashing of the walls can be got rid of and for the pyramids to be more like Labyrinths? The bashing of the walls gets rather tiresome very quickly.

Unfortunately, no. There are no built-in options for anything like that and such changes are beyond my abilities to code.

Kagemusha
11-02-2011, 15:05
Ok.Thanks for the info!:bow:

Fisherking
11-02-2011, 16:58
Thanks a lot TC.

As for gems, Clans now have Clan Vaults. These vaults are currently heavily locked down, and are only useful for transferring small numbers of gems. The vaults can hold up to 10 gems at a time, which can be withdrawn by Clan Leaders.

Why is there a limit on withdrawals for the clan vaults? Is it a system thing?

I assume that the owner will be stuck with the whole time/turn requirements but can you look at the security area and see if others can stand guard or give time to the upkeep?

Fisherking
11-02-2011, 18:34
A few questions and comments on housing.

First, how do you fill in names and descriptions?

Second, what do you have to do to set security measures?

Third, the upkeep is steep, even for a group. Could it be set to a different time period. Say a week real time, 28 days game time?

For the PVP protection, could we set those rates the same as the cost of mercenaries.

Say, a cost of 2000 and 6 to 8 gems for a shack, then double and triple that for the larger dwellings?

Those with occupancy of more than one could set additional guards to increase security if need be and put it on a 28 or 30 day window?

And a general question; when dose the new month start for the pyramid wars?

Beskar
11-02-2011, 19:05
Cannot deposit or withdraw cash from the Vault at the moment, only deposit gems to a max of 10.

TinCow
11-02-2011, 19:28
Why is there a limit on withdrawals for the clan vaults? Is it a system thing?

No, it's a setting I implemented. I don't really want the vaults to be there at all, I want people to use the dwelling coffers instead. However, I agree there needs to be a way to transfer gems and this was the easiest method I could come up with. I haven't been able to find a mod that would just let people transfer gems like they can with gold. The reason I've limited it to 10 per day is that I really don't want the vault used for any purpose other than group funding of dwelling construction. So, I want to make it somewhat inconvenient to use.

I assume that the owner will be stuck with the whole time/turn requirements but can you look at the security area and see if others can stand guard or give time to the upkeep?

I'm pretty sure anyone with keys can stand guard.

First, how do you fill in names and descriptions?

There's an option to do so inside the dwelling management area.

Second, what do you have to do to set security measures?

For the coffers, you need to stand guard. The PvP security measures are not implement at the moment because, as I stated earlier, I have had to disable the PvP inside dwellings module because it screwed up the Slay Players list. Since the entire PvP in dwellings module in inactive, the guards to keep you from getting killed are also inactive.

Third, the upkeep is steep, even for a group. Could it be set to a different time period. Say a week real time, 28 days game time?

Yes, I can alter that. I'll try and find the time to think about the proper balance for the upkeep of the dwellings.

And a general question; when dose the new month start for the pyramid wars?

I have no idea. I don't know why it shows the Test clan as the previous winner either.

Montmorency
11-02-2011, 23:03
So no contributing turns? Come on, why shouldn't we be able to use swarms of low-level players to do the grunt work?

TinCow
11-03-2011, 14:58
The modules for the Dice and Stones games in the Dark Horse Tavern are not well written and allow smart players to be able to win consistently, earning them millions of gold. This is inherently unbalancing in the game and I do not have the skill to fix the modules, so I have disabled them.

I am also aware that the Pyramids system is increasingly becoming a chore and not very much fun. I will try and find some kind of alternate clan competition system that is more interesting. The Pyramids will stay online until I find something to replace them.

TinCow
11-03-2011, 17:50
Fisherking will be taking an admin-level role in running this game.

Death is yonder
11-04-2011, 03:39
The modules for the Dice and Stones games in the Dark Horse Tavern are not well written and allow smart players to be able to win consistently, earning them millions of gold. This is inherently unbalancing in the game and I do not have the skill to fix the modules, so I have disabled them.

The C-Pyramid strangely has walls of 270k hp, its related I'm guessing?

TinCow
11-04-2011, 13:37
The C-Pyramid strangely has walls of 270k hp, its related I'm guessing?

Yes.

Fisherking
11-04-2011, 17:19
I did a few minor tweaks.

You will just have to find them.

Riedquat
11-04-2011, 18:48
I did a few minor tweaks.

You will just have to find them.

That include a random mob in the forest who duplicate himself over and over and no matter how many you kill of them you always will end running from him? Or that one was before and I was just lucky? O.o

11-04-2011, 19:07
I'm going to attacking attacking people until I finally kill someone!

I almost kill someone today and they won with only like 12 HP left. :laugh4::dizzy2:

Riedquat
11-04-2011, 19:23
You should be helping your clanmates warman ;)

Oh... just got one of the tweaks Fisherking!! Thank you!! :)

Fisherking
11-05-2011, 09:17
I see WARMAN finally killed someone.

One of the girls of course. No wonder he has girl problems. :no:

Death is yonder
11-05-2011, 13:32
Riddle gnome is no match for the powers of Google-Fu! :boxing:

Fisherking
11-05-2011, 19:27
Maybe we will add a few to stump you. :P You just never know.

There are three new mounts though they are expensive and require several DKs along with the price.

There is also a new Companion. A dog, but you never know how it will behave…you know dogs can sense bad people…

If you go about killing lots of people, or trying to,,,well I just would not recommend it. :laugh4:

Montmorency
11-05-2011, 19:36
So is the dog better than the mercs? Are the mounts better than the stallion?

And why don't I ever get to meet the Forest Gnome or the Inn Fairy?

Fisherking
11-05-2011, 20:06
A dog is a dog… I still like Florenz my self. lol

The mounts are better than the stallion if you can afford them.:yes:

Price is not everything in this game and things are not always the way they appear at first glance.

As to fairies, I am not sure you would always be happy with what their whims and ways have to offer. And be careful what you wish for, it may come true. :laugh4:

Beskar
11-07-2011, 03:41
I find the best companion to be the Bear. It takes all the hits and damage, which allows you to chain up on flawless victories.

Go Go Feral Druid.

(Also, I wish I knew how to unlock the secret class. I played all three of them now. )

11-07-2011, 14:19
I see WARMAN finally killed someone.

One of the girls of course. No wonder he has girl problems. :no:

Actually 2 people :clown:.

And who the hell set that bounty on my head? :stare:

Montmorency
11-07-2011, 14:25
Stop attacking girls, Warman. Any more such provocation and I'm afraid your clan membership will go up for review. :disappointed:

TinCow
11-07-2011, 14:27
(Also, I wish I knew how to unlock the secret class. I played all three of them now. )

I'll give you a hint, pay attention to the moons.

11-07-2011, 14:32
Stop attacking girls, Warman. Any more such provocation and I'm afraid your clan membership will go up for review. :disappointed:

You joking, you never get rid of Mein Hussar!

Fisherking
11-07-2011, 14:47
Actually 2 people :clown:.

And who the hell set that bounty on my head? :stare:

I figure it was someone with a load of money that you killed.

My guess is Lillith, as she is shouting her lungs out in the town square.

You wouldn’t wake up so she could kill you her self, so very likely she put a price on your head.

Not only that but you also caused the Clan a bit of embarrassment and consternation buy trying to whack someone under our protection.

There are only three girls in the game. You have attacked at least two of them.

Can’t you save it for the Dragon? She is a girl too you know.

11-07-2011, 14:48
I figure it was someone with a load of money that you killed.

My guess is Lillith, as she is shouting her lungs out in the town square.

You wouldn’t wake up so she could kill you her self, so very likely she put a price on your head.

Not only that but you also caused the Clan a bit of embarrassment and consternation buy trying to whack someone under our protection.

There are only three girls in the game. You have attacked at least two of them.

Can’t you save it for the Dragon? She is a girl too you know.

And why does it matter who (gender wise) I kill eh?

Fisherking
11-07-2011, 14:49
You joking, you never get rid of Mein Hussar!:laugh4:

That is a one click option and Monty has got the power to do it.:yes:

Fisherking
11-07-2011, 14:59
And why does it matter who (gender wise) I kill eh?

It is a game with some role playing, of course.

You can appear Chivalrous, or you can be a low life serial killer.

In this case I guess you picked on a girl who go upset about being killed in her sleep.

As there are some 30 something guy in the game and only three girls, and you tried to kill two in one night, it leads to some conclusions about you…

Life, even in a game, has consequences.

11-07-2011, 15:32
:laugh4:

That is a one click option and Monty has got the power to do it.:yes:

:laugh4::laugh4:

It is a game with some role playing, of course.

You can appear Chivalrous, or you can be a low life serial killer.

In this case I guess you picked on a girl who go upset about being killed in her sleep.

As there are some 30 something guy in the game and only three girls, and you tried to kill two in one night, it leads to some conclusions about you…

Life, even in a game, has consequences.

And you mistaking me for someone who cares.... I don't. :yes:

Fisherking
11-07-2011, 18:02
I am sure such an attitude will help you win friends and influence people. :inquisitive:

Next thing you know they will all rally to your support, won’t they? :laugh4:

It seems to me you have managed to take a minor misunderstanding, one of shear happenstance, and escalate it into a major battle when a simple sorry might have ended the problem.

Are you sure you don’t work at the US State Department?
:shame:

11-07-2011, 20:28
Jesus people, all this over a stupid Roleplaying game? God help you when you start playing real man's MP. :laugh4::dizzy2:

johnhughthom
11-07-2011, 21:13
real man's MP.

Can you say oxymoron?

seireikhaan
11-08-2011, 09:34
Cool it off, folks. Let's just have fun, neh? ~:grouphug:

11-08-2011, 14:21
Cool it off, folks. Let's just have fun, neh? ~:grouphug:

Try telling them that :laugh: :dizzy2:.

Beskar
11-09-2011, 23:46
Is it possible to raise the upper limit of gold you can deposit in the castle?

Fisherking
11-11-2011, 15:10
Is it possible to raise the upper limit of gold you can deposit in the castle?

Yes but it could unbalance the game. Some things may need to get tougher and not easier.

On another note;

You can all see some things have been added. Some others will show up as you get higher numbers of DKs and there are still some things to play around with.

Beskar
11-11-2011, 20:17
How does Caitbain get a DK every two days? :<

Montmorency
11-11-2011, 20:45
His level of skill is far beyond ours. I usually take 20 days. :(

Fisherking
11-11-2011, 20:49
He has some advantages. Like at the Lodge and a better horse.

TheLastDays
11-11-2011, 23:20
The secret is the first day and level, at least it was in my time :wink:

Beskar
11-12-2011, 00:08
Do horses carry over or similar?

Fisherking
11-12-2011, 09:34
Do horses carry over or similar?

All of the Mounts (Horses and whatnot) stay with you until you give them up or they somehow are killed. But you don’t have to buy a new one each time you see the Dragon.

All of the mounts give some advantage(s). If you don’t have one you are missing out.

Now!

There is a new type of Dwelling.

An Inn

Cost: 10 DK level to build, 25000 gold, 25 gems. It gives you 6 roomswith sleeping space for the owner and you can add more rooms, at a price.
There is a coffer for gold and gems for the owner only, but the money made goes to the bank, so plunderers have to be lucky to find any gold in them.

It is work, though. It costs turns to cook food and brew Ale.
The quality of the Ale can be improved and gives buffs. The food may be tied to the quality of the Inn. It all has different effects than what you find in Orghulburg.

It can have from 0 to 10 stars and that also affects prices.

Cathbran built one in Romar, and it will slow down his adventuring a bit.

The Game gets better the more players we have so tell your friends…there are extra points for referrals (at the Lodge).

Fisherking
11-15-2011, 16:43
If the bad guys keep winning I suggest you get a drink to help steady yourself a bit.

Get a mount if you have the gems, or maybe just take along that old one eyed cat for a while.

Hire some help when you can afford it and of course get the best weapons and armor you can.

You will be killing dragons in no time. :yes:

Beskar
11-17-2011, 02:17
I am loving the automatic turns now in the game! :2thumbsup:

BSmith
11-18-2011, 16:34
I love playing old BBS games! I don’t remember playing this one before, but I am now.

Any of the clans out there need a new recruit?

Fisherking
11-18-2011, 16:44
I would try the Tavern Gang or the JGs. Both only have one member and could use help but the JGs takes a Dragon Kill to join and I don't know that they are still active.

Of course I am sure you would be accepted into either of the other two clans as well.

BSmith
11-18-2011, 18:13
Is there anyway to change your "title" or does that happen as you level up? I wouldn't mind being something other than "farmboy"...

Montmorency
11-18-2011, 18:27
You should join the DeOrg Clan. You get unlimited funds from our extensive treasury.

Fisherking
11-18-2011, 18:39
Is there anyway to change your "title" or does that happen as you level up? I wouldn't mind being something other than "farmboy"...

The titles change as you go up but there is a way to give your self any title you wish. It just requires Joining the JP's Lodge (which means donating money to the site admin. I could be wrong but I think that the other two donation sites are just to support development.) There are quite a few options in the lodge which help you move more quickly. But it is in on way required.

At any rate there is a new title for almost every level...the higher levels keep the same titles longer.

Riedquat
11-18-2011, 18:51

You should join the DeOrg Clan. You get unlimited funds from our extensive treasury.

Join DeOrg Clan! And after you successfully kill your first dragon I personally will help to change your user tittle! :laugh4: :clown:

No, really... what His Royal Majesty Montmorency told you is true we have great amount of gold to share with our comrades! :yes:

Fisherking
11-18-2011, 20:29
Join DeOrg Clan! And after you successfully kill your first dragon I personally will help to change your user tittle! :laugh4: :clown:

No, really... what His Royal Majesty Montmorency told you is true we have great amount of gold to share with our comrades! :yes:

Sorry, BSmith has joined the Tavern Gang and placed his trust and his life in the hands of Lefty, for better or worse.

BSmith
11-18-2011, 20:43
Yeah, I joined before you guys suggested I go with you. I figured I’d try out a smaller clan and help build it up, as opposed to joining an already established clan.

Beskar
11-19-2011, 01:06
Being honest, we need some more clans. The problem is, Cathbran is the one with all the money, gems and dragonkills and what not, so any rival clan would just get trounced by him!

Montmorency
11-19-2011, 01:33
Hey, let's not forget that other DeOrgher, the second most powerful of all warriors in the land.

That would be this guy. :snobby:

And I haven't even killed yet. Any clan steps to us and that might have to change.

Remember the Pentangelis? That's right. :smoking:

Beskar
11-19-2011, 03:53
I remember grrrhrhrhrhrrrgurrgle. What ever happened to him?

Fisherking
11-20-2011, 15:19
State of the Game.

We have 47 Characters of which about half seem to be active.

We have added quite a bit of content and have a few more things in the pipeline.

I doubt that anyone has found everything or if you have, have not figured how best to use it.

Some things are only visible after you reach a given number of Dks so if you don’t see what someone else sees, that could be why

There is a lot to aid character development and to buff them up.

PvPs seem to have slowed down, with all of the inactive or occasional players lying dead in their beds at the inn. For now those sleeping inside of dwellings seem to be safe from PvP attack but not Plunder.

Changing this would make players more difficult to locate but increase the number available. I need to know what you think about implementing this.

With regards to the Clans:

TinCow wanted to find a different clan battles module, other than the pyramids.

If any of you had ever tried to break the walls on the <JG> captured pyramids you would understand why.

Breaking walls of over 100,000 strength is just plane monotonous. Their walls were more than a quarter million points each.

Around 279,000 as I recall. If the server is slow it takes a game day to take just one.

So far we have not found an acceptable replacement. That is because we need more players on line at the same time, than what we have. So until the community grows it may be difficult.

The standup fight modules might be all right for some players but as we stand Cathbran and DiY would dominate the fights they were in. No one wants to fight when only certain death is the only outcome.

At the moment the Clans are still establishing themselves. Getting dwellings and coffers to support their members so they can become more powerful as individuals.

I would suspect that once this happens a series of raids and assignations might occur.

As Christmas is coming soon Clans can busy themselves with Christmas Trees and find some way to reward the best of them.

For those of you who are American & Canadian, we have no Thanksgiving holiday on the server.

Also the Thanksgiving one that they do have at the home site is so bad that we will do like all the stores across the world and start our Winter and Christmas modules a little early.

If there is anything you want to discuss, just post here, pm me or send a YOM (ye old mail) to admin in game.

Death is yonder
11-21-2011, 16:55
PvPs seem to have slowed down, with all of the inactive or occasional players lying dead in their beds at the inn. For now those sleeping inside of dwellings seem to be safe from PvP attack but not Plunder.

Changing this would make players more difficult to locate but increase the number available. I need to know what you think about implementing this.

I think that this would be a better idea, at the moment we here are running out of prey! Poor Veho has been on the receiving end of my affections when I come to visit him at night :tongue:

Oh and interestingly enough, placing the max gold bribe for Ser Clegane didn't seem to work (I tried another time with the same results), I just attempted to go after Veho's head again :creep:

Fisherking
11-22-2011, 18:37
With all of the dragons killed in the last few weeks they seem to be becoming more scarce. You may have to work a bit to find them.

Beskar
11-22-2011, 18:49
I got killed my TinCows mother in law with a pair of his old Y-fronts.. this is embarrassing, I am never going Felye again.

Beskar
12-02-2011, 01:11
Game is so random at times.. I will be there just stomping everything "bam, 1hitko" and I cannot even predict it! Just lost 60k gold because of it too. Very evil.

Riedquat
12-03-2011, 01:27
Game is so random at times.. I will be there just stomping everything "bam, 1hitko" and I cannot even predict it! Just lost 60k gold because of it too. Very evil.

Tell that to me... just lost 100k after casually encountering the green dragon in the forest... :no:

Montmorency
12-03-2011, 05:41
One does not simply walk into the Green Dragon!

Fisherking
12-03-2011, 11:11
Some encounters are just going to kill you no matter what.

Face 6 monsters and die in the first round. It should not happen but it dose.

Riedquat
12-03-2011, 16:37
One does not simply walk into the Green Dragon!

I believed so, experience shows otherwise... I was in the forest and no entering any cave, he appeared in the forest! Of course I was lvl 15 for a couple of days already and perhaps it triggered the encounter... I don't know....

Beskar
12-05-2011, 16:21
I believed so, experience shows otherwise... I was in the forest and no entering any cave, he appeared in the forest! Of course I was lvl 15 for a couple of days already and perhaps it triggered the encounter... I don't know....

It was that.

Yoyoma1910
12-01-2012, 02:51
Anyone still playing this? I've been piddling around with it, but it seems dead.

Cee
12-04-2012, 02:40
Yoyoma, I've been playing but to be honest I found it via google because I was looking for a server that wasn't absolutely insane. Hope you guys don't mind me playing on your server!

Yoyoma1910
12-04-2012, 04:49
~:wave:~:wave:

:2thumbsup:

I don't think anyone will mind. This forum is pretty chill and friendly.

If the mood strikes you swing up to the intro thread and toss a holla'.

TinCow
12-04-2012, 04:51
LotGD is fun, but tends to have a limited lifespan. I think most players gorged on it for a few weeks when I originally put it up. I have no plans on taking it down though, so please do continue to play around with it.

Yoyoma1910
12-04-2012, 05:45
Yeah I actually got back on it after receiving a notice a few weeks ago that I had a character expiring... It reminds me of some of my childhood text based PC games...

TinCow
12-04-2012, 14:03
It reminds me of some of my childhood text based PC games...

That's because that's largely what it is. It's a partial re-creation of a BBS game called Legend of the Red Dragon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Red_Dragon).

Yoyoma1910
01-04-2013, 07:13
Looks like it's down now.

TinCow
01-04-2013, 13:52
Thanks, that was another error caused by the PHP upgrade. I have fixed it.