PDA

View Full Version : Cavalry charges revisited

Grim Fiddler
03-06-2012, 13:48
I'm not having any success with massed (several units) cavalry.

I form up on high ground, , I wait, my infantry is engaged with the target. My cavalry strolls into the enemy. Sometimes. Sometimes they charge.

I've been reading on this in the forum, and it's a lot, and some is old, but is there a final verdict on the best way?

Is it better to use all the same kind of unit? Or do them individually?

Vladimir
03-06-2012, 19:26
I suppose it depends on what version of the game you're using. Lined up perfectly on level ground, cavalry charges beautifully with a single click on the enemy.

Grim Fiddler
03-08-2012, 15:12
I am playing the Third Age LOTR mod to MTW2, and it does not work consistantly.

Sacred Band
03-24-2012, 18:23
Try to press alt when you charge to enemy with cavalry. That should force cavalry use lances instead of swords (which ruins the whole charge).

Flavius Merobaudes
03-29-2012, 12:37
Try to press alt when you charge to enemy with cavalry. That should force cavalry use lances instead of swords (which ruins the whole charge).

The opposite is true. Pressing Alt forces the unit to use its secondary weapon - in this case swords.

To OP: It is almost impossible to have two or more cavalry charge the same target simultaneously and from the same direction. Reason: To perform the charge with lowered lances, the unit has to be in an orderly formation. It's pretty realistic too - you can't have two unit of knights charge without piercing each other.
So I suggest you manage your cavalry units individually. Formation is everything...:charge:

Cecil XIX
08-12-2012, 19:38
Try practicing with quick battles, such as a single unit of Mailed Knights against a full stack of peasants. That should help with gaining an intuitive understanding of how they work.