PDA

View Full Version : RometotalWar & Hameleona's foundry

Asgaroth
05-03-2012, 21:22
Here RomeTotalWar,our second 3D artist who is novice in 3D modeling will make weapons,armor,helmets for our units and eventualy hameleona will help him a little in giving any advice because hameleona has the master skill for 3D art.

He will be given work in advance so when hameleona and me get to those units hameleona will just have the job of implementing the already done weapons and in that way wwe will be faster.

Second job :

Make a Illyrian spear. Take your time to make it look good.

Make the first one from the left. The biggest one. So this is just the sharp part of the spear.

hameleona
05-03-2012, 22:25
I'll make the helmet (it's easy). Don't know about the sword. I can do it, so no problem in that.Just tell me where does it point towards the welder or against him.
The shields are easy to. But, i want to see what RTW (;)) will say and what can he do. I can take the complex things and let him glue the units or something.

Asgaroth
05-03-2012, 22:36
Ok. I will post work tomorrow.But first you need to touch up the last phalangite unit you have done.I told you how to do it.

RomeTotalWar
05-03-2012, 23:19
hi all, I'm glad to be back, anyway I have abit of experiance in 3ds max, here is a pic of a WIP model I was doing for my mod which now on hold, 5419 also I have only just got Photoshop so I have no experience in skinning, but that will come in the future,

I don't understand what you have put here, sorry

On the first picture make the one at the right end.In the second picture,the one one the left end.So one shield.That are just two examples of one of the same shields.

hameleona
05-03-2012, 23:37
hi all, I'm glad to be back, anyway I have abit of experiance in 3ds max, here is a pic of a WIP model I was doing for my mod which now on hold, 5419 also I have only just got Photoshop so I have no experience in skinning, but that will come in the future,

Seen that... i think i'm actually the underdog in the modeling team :lol:

RomeTotalWar
05-03-2012, 23:43
Seen that... i think i'm actually the underdog in the modeling team :lol:

what do you mean??

hameleona
05-04-2012, 08:35
You are way better than me. I mostly edit the existing stuff, cutting, pasting and so on. I don't really make a lot of stuff from scratch.

RomeTotalWar
05-04-2012, 08:40
well I'm not here to steal anyones thunder, so I think that we should still keep our roles, and I'm sure that the current roles are working fine for the mod

Asgaroth
05-04-2012, 15:43

No mater just make the sjield.That is important.

So to be clear on your jobs :

Hameleona-makes units,eventualy helps in advice to RTW

RTW-makes weapons,armor,helmets,etc.

RomeTotalWar
05-04-2012, 17:25
I made this quickly, also I made two versions one thinner and slightly curved, and the other one wider, what else needs to be added for the throwing weapon on the shield??

and do will you need some strap on the back to hold the shield

lastly on the thinner shield how do you remove the black mark, will it show up ingame or affect skinning???

Front

Back

P.S it would help if you heavily criticise this as i want it to be exactly as you want, the same for every model I make

Asgaroth
05-04-2012, 18:56
All I can say that the shapes are not good.

the throwing weapon on the shield

What are you talking about ?

will you need some strap on the back to hold the shield

Yes.Make it look real from inside as it looks real from the outside.

And I will reskin the shield,don't worry about that.

And last,take your time on the shield,don't make in 5 minutes,give your efforts on it a bit,make it look as best as you can for the mod,that is why I have given you work in advance.

RomeTotalWar
05-04-2012, 20:18
the throwing weapon on the shield

I thought the unit would have a secondary weapon such as a javelin or pilum

Asgaroth
05-04-2012, 20:43
Make one without the pilum and make one with the pilum then.Now I got what you were trying to say.Thanks !

RomeTotalWar
05-05-2012, 23:11
Here is the shield , its done unless you want something changed

Front

Back

Here is the helmet, i am currently working on it, but i am finding it hard to make both side of the helmet the same as you can see in the front pic

Front

A slight side view, its not on its full side,

Also I tryed the sword before I started on the helmet and I am having trouble on how to start it, I mean what shape is best to use to model the sword?? anyway I will have another crack at it when the helmet is done,

Asgaroth
05-05-2012, 23:44
Here is the shield , its done unless you want something changed

Now it is great ! It is done obviously.

Here is the helmet, i am currently working on it, but i am finding it hard to make both side of the helmet the same as you can see in the front pic

Very nice.Take your time as you did with they shield and it will end up fine.

Also I tryed the sword before I started on the helmet and I am having trouble on how to start it, I mean what shape is best to use to model the sword?? anyway I will have another crack at it when the helmet is done,

I don't know,hameleona will give you a quite good advice I am sure. Nice to hear that !

I am having an exam on monday,so I didn't make anything these week.I am currently trying to find out what is the problem with the symbols I am implementing as they twice as big from the vanilla ones ingame.After I find out I will implement the symbols.

RomeTotalWar
05-06-2012, 00:35
I am having an exam on monday,so I didn't make anything these week.I am currently trying to find out what is the problem with the symbols I am implementing as they twice as big from the vanilla ones ingame.After I find out I will implement the symbols.

we could send a file to someone who knows stuff like this, not saying that you don't know about symbols but just some help. unless you can solve the problems

Asgaroth
05-06-2012, 01:50
we could send a file to someone who knows stuff like this, not saying that you don't know about symbols but just some help. unless you can solve the problems

I asked at the TW forums and there was no luck.

RomeTotalWar
05-06-2012, 17:01
updated helmet, I still think there is abit more to work on, what do you think?

front

side

now going to try the sica sword, hopefully I will succeed

Asgaroth
05-06-2012, 22:08
updated helmet, I still think there is abit more to work on, what do you think?

Yup. I also think you need to work it a little bit.

From the side it looks nice.

RomeTotalWar
05-06-2012, 22:23
Sica sword, what do you think,

side

Hamata
05-07-2012, 01:48
Nice models! do you take requests? i may have a few ideas in mined pm me!

RomeTotalWar
05-07-2012, 09:34
Thanks, depending on the type of model you want created and the time to make it, I will make a requested model.

Asgaroth
05-07-2012, 11:13
Nice models! do you take requests? i may have a few ideas in mined pm me

I told you.Do not make your own mod on this thread.

And why did you stop making banners and portraits ?

Sica sword, what do you think,

Very nice and imaginative work.

It is clearly done.

Just touch the helmet a bit,and I will give you next jobs.

Hamata
05-07-2012, 12:46
i was not making my own mod here. and i will get to doing the banners eventualy.

RomeTotalWar
05-07-2012, 12:59
Ok, with the helmet do you want me to add those circles on that image in the OP

Asgaroth
05-07-2012, 16:27
Ok, with the helmet do you want me to add those circles on that image in the OP

If you can.Add them please.

i was not making my own mod here. and i will get to doing the banners eventualy.

I will also need you for something else later.Now if can make the symbols.

RomeTotalWar
05-07-2012, 17:22
i was not making my own mod here. and i will get to doing the banners eventualy

I tell you what, if you make finish the portraits and banners for this mod I will make some requested models, I think that is fair as I will get something in return. But seriously I shouldn't be doing this as it is your job to make them, and I have seen some of the banners etc and they look great by the way.

Asgaroth
05-07-2012, 18:07
The point is I don't know why did he stop making banners and portraits at the first place.

They are great.

RomeTotalWar
05-07-2012, 21:14
updated helmet, still a WIP, just wanted to show it with circles, however I think they might be to small, also overall i just think the helmet looks terrible so i might start from scratch again.

Asgaroth
05-07-2012, 22:47
the dots around look very nice.However the top of the helmet isn't as the one from the picture.

Take your time.We are not in a hurry.

Hamata
05-07-2012, 22:53
them, and I have seen some of the banners etc and they look great by the way. thanks man

RomeTotalWar
05-07-2012, 23:24
"the dots around look very nice.However the top of the helmet isn't as the one from the picture.

Take your time.We are not in a hurry."

Well in the pic with the greyed helmet in OP you can see a two lines sticking up at the top of the helmet, but if you want I will remove them

hameleona
05-08-2012, 00:48
I do have something to say to Asgaroth, tho - i cant use those models, before you show us a picture of them on units. Does not matter from game or painting (stone-craving or statue from the period are awesome to), so that when i actually make the units using them, i can know how big the sword/shield/helmet/other_stuff should be.

And a question to RTW - can you post a screen of the uvw map?

Asgaroth
05-08-2012, 16:42
Well in the pic with the greyed helmet in OP you can see a two lines sticking up at the top of the helmet, but if you want I will remove them

No leave them. They are great.

I do have something to say to Asgaroth, tho - i cant use those models, before you show us a picture of them on units. Does not matter from game or painting (stone-craving or statue from the period are awesome to), so that when i actually make the units using them, i can know how big the sword/shield/helmet/other_stuff should be.

Scroll down and you will find it on the Illyrian heavy swordsmen.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?67414-Hegemonia-City-States-Faction-Preview-The-Illyrian-Tribes

RomeTotalWar
05-08-2012, 17:12
And a question to RTW - can you post a screen of the uvw map?

what is it, and how do i get it, also do you want it for the helmet

hameleona
05-08-2012, 21:43
The UVW map is how the texture is implemented on the models in rtw. This is why i don't like making something from scratch - the UVW maping is something i have never mastered.

more info here:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49570

RomeTotalWar
05-08-2012, 22:15
Updated helmet, hopefully this is the one, if not it can be changed,

So I added all of those circles around the bottom of the helmet to the the arc where your ear goes, also i made a clone and get rid of those things on top of the helmet to see which one you liked,

The UVW map is how the texture is implemented on the models in rtw. This is why i don't like making something from scratch - the UVW maping is something i have never mastered

oh ok, well I do everything from scratch as it feels like it is my own work, instead of using something of the internet as a base model to build off like some people do, but sometimes i do import a rtw model and edited them if it is needed, however that is rare.

here is an image of the helmet with it UVW map, I did what it said in that tutorial, but I don't know if this image is right but it is what I got.

hameleona
05-08-2012, 22:21
ok, sorry, but no one can make a texture for that.
I like your work, but modeling for rtw has it's problems. And the UVW maps are one of them. I'll see how can we get around the problem...

RomeTotalWar
05-08-2012, 23:02
ok, sorry, but no one can make a texture for that.
I like your work, but modeling for rtw has it's problems. And the UVW maps are one of them. I'll see how can we get around the problem...

hmm well what should we do? continue with the models or find a different way to create them so you can add textures?

RomeTotalWar
05-10-2012, 06:50
Hmm anyone?

hameleona
05-10-2012, 12:39
Asgaroth is having a lot of exams, so he may not answer as often as expected.
I still have no idea, how to UVW map the new objects in a way, they will work.

RomeTotalWar
05-10-2012, 14:36
When I said anyone I mean't anyone on this site not just the team, sorry I should have been clearer

I still have no idea, how to UVW map the new objects in a way, they will work

hmm well we will see what Asagaroth thinks if it, I mean the only two options I can think of is to start again the proper way, or find a way to solve it by asking other modellers on the org and twc

hameleona
05-10-2012, 15:00
Try mapping it from the side and show the result if it's not a problem? I think that is the only possible solution.

Asgaroth
05-10-2012, 15:01
What seems to be the problem guys ?

Can you explain me as I don't know much about 3 D moddeling,I don't have a clue to be more clearer !

hameleona
05-10-2012, 15:12
The maping for the textures is getting bad with new models.
Assigning a 2d texture to a 3d model is tricky from the start, but the way i see it nether i, nether RTW have that mapping experience we need :lol:
With weapons and shields is easy, but other stuff is hard.

Asgaroth
05-10-2012, 15:28
So you want to say that the helmets are hard to do and the shields and weapons are easy ?

hameleona
05-10-2012, 16:10
texture-wise - Yeah. I made the falca/kopis after all. ;)

Asgaroth
05-10-2012, 16:48
It will be wierd with adding all the historical weapons and shield but not the helmets.

But if you can't do it, then ok. I won't pressure you. Just do what you can. Do the weapons and shields then.

RomeTotalWar
05-10-2012, 16:58
but,,, if we import a rtw model from the texture file couldn't we clone it and edit it into a helmet? beacuse the model can be textured, so as long as the model is there it can be textured? right?

hameleona
05-10-2012, 17:12
Just upload the helmet somewhere, and i'll see what can i do.

RomeTotalWar
05-10-2012, 18:02
here, so would that idea work?? 5525

hameleona
05-12-2012, 14:27
Aham... can't even open it. Gives some strange error.

RomeTotalWar
05-12-2012, 16:48
hmm, try putting it in your scene folder and access it from in the software

hameleona
05-13-2012, 22:54
Didn't work. Try attaching it to a unit and exporting it to a .cas file like that.

rickinator9
05-16-2012, 01:16
I don't really get what you don't understand about UVW mapping. Do you not understand the concept of UVW mapping or doesn't any of you have an artistic talent?

RomeTotalWar
05-16-2012, 23:25
I don't really get what you don't understand about UVW mapping. Do you not understand the concept of UVW mapping or doesn't any of you have an artistic talent?

there is no need to be like that, not everyone who models knows what UVW mapping is and based on what you said is it really true that everyone artistic talented person knows what UVW mapping is? I didn't think so, anyway if we needed help i am sure we will ask, but at the moment this has nothing to do with the public until we need it to be, the only reason it is open to the public is to get attention for the mod, not to have the public beat us down just beacuse we or I don't know what UVW mapping is.

hameleona
05-16-2012, 23:41
I've played with the UVW maps these days, and i think i can do them. Ignore the pleasant friend above. Just please try exporting the stuff attached to something in .cas format, so that i have no problem opening it.

rickinator9
05-17-2012, 00:21
Sorry, but I was trying to help and I have got to acknowledge that my words for it were ill-chosen.

hameleona
05-17-2012, 00:55
Sorry, but I was trying to help and I have got to acknowledge that my words for it were ill-chosen.

Nah, don't bother. And i don't think it's so much an artistic thing, as it is grunt work - get the mapping, brake the parts, manage to put them in the right place. I'm getting quite good at it, after discovering the hot water (as we say in Bulgaria) and fixing the mapping by faces and not vertexes. :lol: so simple, so simple...

And yeah, we are quite low on manpower.

RomeTotalWar
05-26-2012, 09:05
Sorry I haven't been round here for a while, I am doing the spear as you said, but I just got my first part time job!! :) so just been abit busy with it. However they will be shorting my shifts so I will be able to have more time modeling. So expect to see the spear shown here by today or tomorrow.

Asgaroth
05-26-2012, 12:51
Sorry I haven't been round here for a while, I am doing the spear as you said, but I just got my first part time job!! :) so just been abit busy with it. However they will be shorting my shifts so I will be able to have more time modeling. So expect to see the spear shown here by today or tomorrow.

I am glad that you are back. I was worried that you quited on us.

Great news for the job. A little money aside doesn't hurt.

Ok for the spears. Every weapon that is 100 % completed just tell hameleona to download it as he will be adding it to the units.

RomeTotalWar
05-28-2012, 15:26
sorry about how long this took!!!!!, anyway enough about that,

here are is the spear
do you think it needs improvement??

Asgaroth
05-28-2012, 18:13

1.In the read circled part you can see that it shouldn't look like that. Make it look like the ipper partz isn't put just over the stick,make it look like it is attached to the stick.

2. Make the stick round rather then squared. And use a more natural color of wood to paint it.

RomeTotalWar
05-29-2012, 07:39
I will upload the preview when I am back from college

RomeTotalWar
05-29-2012, 19:42
Here is an updated verison? I still think there are some more improvements needed

Asgaroth
05-29-2012, 21:37

This whole red part needs to be replaced with the metal part of the spear.

RomeTotalWar
05-29-2012, 21:44
the only reason I made that visual is beacuse in the OP the spear pic has the shaft of the pole going into the spear head at an angle which makes its stick out abit.

as you can see in the red circles on the pic.

do you still want me to change it?

hameleona
05-30-2012, 13:31
Asgaroth that is not a textured weapon, my friend - just the model, made from two parts if i don't mistake what i see. The actual material that will be seen in the game changes from the texture, not the model ;)

Asgaroth
05-30-2012, 15:32
Hameleona is right. I messed up the texture.

Then the spear is ready RTW,just give the link to hameleona so he can download it to his pc.

Did you give him the download link for the sica sword you made and for the shield ?

RomeTotalWar
05-30-2012, 19:02
not yet, so do I just upload the files like I upload the pics??

Asgaroth
05-30-2012, 19:20
not yet, so do I just upload the files like I upload the pics??

No.

When you reply to a message you select go advanced then scroll down and you will see manage attachments. And you will figure it out from then.

RomeTotalWar
05-30-2012, 19:46
hameleona here are the Illyrian sword, shield, spear. Plus I added the helmet even thought it has that UVW problem!

RomeTotalWar
05-31-2012, 07:47
What is the next job? Also I have to go now as I have college but I will be back around 2pm English time

hameleona
05-31-2012, 09:09
i have a request. This:

The thracian romphaia. It's different from the dacian flax that RTW has, in the fact it's straight. Don't rush about it - i'm still ill so i don't really have the... mood should i say? for moding and stuff.

RomeTotalWar
05-31-2012, 13:24
Well I will start on it now, and get well soon.

Asgaroth
05-31-2012, 13:46
The thracian romphaia. It's different from the dacian flax that RTW has, in the fact it's straight. Don't rush about it - i'm still ill so i don't really have the... mood should i say? for moding and stuff.

we will need that further ahead,yes.

Nice thinking hameleona.

RomeTotalWar
05-31-2012, 20:45
Asgaroth you know what celtic axe you told me to make, well i ages ago I was messing around and create a sort of celtic axe and I forgot all about it. So I changed it around a bit to make it look a bit celtic and below is a screenshot of what it looks like.

Asgaroth
05-31-2012, 21:45
Holy s... It looks awesome. I will look very nice ingame.

Very good work !

RomeTotalWar
05-31-2012, 21:56
Holy s... It looks awesome. I will look very nice ingame.

Very good work !

haha :laugh4: I guess that one is ticked off then, now off to do the long sword, plus the thracian romphaia for Hameleona

Hamata
06-02-2012, 17:50
@ rome total war as you said it would be better if i post my model request here i will do so..

I need a vanila style pezhetori model but using historical weapons and a lynthorax

here is a picture

any one of these guys would do

http://www.livius.org/a/1/greece/phalanx.jpg

RomeTotalWar
06-02-2012, 18:49
I wont be doing full scale models as a request, only weapons or shields as it will take me ages to do when I will need to be using that time for this mod.

Also the deal was that you had to do the banners first and I haven't seen any new ones!!!!!

Hamata
06-02-2012, 20:10
I wont be doing full scale models as a request, only weapons or shields as it will take me ages to do when I will need to be using that time for this mod.

Also the deal was that you had to do the banners first and I haven't seen any new ones!!!!! i meant use one of those dudes for the weapons armor stuff just use vanila model as a base

RomeTotalWar
06-02-2012, 20:15
ok, I will make it, but I wont give you the file unless you make all the banners. It was the deal.

Hamata
06-02-2012, 20:41

ptolomaics

Romans

Atropatane
greeks

more later i'm taken a break

RomeTotalWar
06-02-2012, 20:59
Why post banners that are done. If you want peoples help you have to earn it. Oh and that request, you can shove it up your arse.

RomeTotalWar
06-02-2012, 21:51
hameleona I have started on that weapon you asked for, I wanted to know what are those marks in the black circle??

Asgaroth
06-02-2012, 22:41

ptolomaics

Romans

Atropatane
greeks

more later i'm taken a break

The Ptolemaic one you have already made.

The Roman one is good.

The Atropanene one- Take a look at the symbol I made for the and make the banners according to the symbol

The Greek Banner you have already made.

Make :

1. The Atropatene one according to the symbol

2.The German one according to the symbol

3.The Numidian one according to the symbol

Hamata
06-03-2012, 01:02
i wanted to make a new version of the ptolomaic since i thought it looked more historical

Hamata
06-03-2012, 02:13
Britons
Atropatien
Celts

Selucid

Numidia

Iylrria
Bosphorus

Germanics

Norcrim

Might get the rest done by the end of this weekend or even tonight if i have enough energy :Zzzz:

Asgaroth
06-03-2012, 14:57
FINALY !!!

Very nice !

Thanks !

Hamata
06-03-2012, 15:10
a couple more i've done today except for carthage which was done yesterday but i forgot to post it :clown: same goes for the sarmatians well most of em where done yesterday but i ran out of tme

Pontus
Sarmatia
Armania
Carthage
Iberians
Nabatau

Hamata
06-03-2012, 15:41
INDEPENDANTS

BANERS ARE DONE!!:bounce: http://www.myspaceanimations.com/images/fireworks2.gif

I'll upload them soon

RomeTotalWar
06-03-2012, 18:01
STOP POSTING THEM HERE, and well done

RomeTotalWar
06-03-2012, 20:27
hameleona I have started on that weapon you asked for, I wanted to know what are those marks in the black circle??

the celtic longsword
Having trouble with this one, but just showing that I am still doing the work, still a WIP obviously

Asgaroth
06-03-2012, 20:54
The sword you are making rules !!!

RomeTotalWar
06-03-2012, 21:13
why have you made this thread, Pharaohs banner paint shop, I dont want his banners in here, this thread is only for me and hameleona's models. Beacuse Pharoah will be talking about his banners when I will need to speak to hameleona. Also it just makes everything neat and tidy. I am abit OCD and I would like to in the future sort out our forum as it is messy and everything is everywhere.

Hamata
06-03-2012, 21:18
Fine i'll rename it back to normal as it was only temporary

Asgaroth
06-03-2012, 21:22
why have you made this thread, Pharaohs banner paint shop, I dont want his banners in here, this thread is only for me and hameleona's models. Beacuse Pharoah will be talking about his banners when I will need to speak to hameleona. Also it just makes everything neat and tidy. I am abit OCD and I would like to in the future sort out our forum as it is messy and everything is everywhere.

You are just like me,but forums are like that,so it will never be tidy.

RomeTotalWar
06-03-2012, 21:32
Pharaoh rameses II how did you do it when it was Asgaroth who created it?

sorry, I have been a member for a while and I still don't know half the stuff you can do here :D

Hamata
06-03-2012, 21:54
just go into advanced go where it says thread title and change the name of the thread there just as simple as that

RomeTotalWar
06-04-2012, 20:56
Celtic Longsword done, unless you want something changed:

Pharaoh rameses II I am going to start on your requested model, I wont be able to texture it as I don't know how to at the moment, could you send me some more information on what you want done, but send it in PM thanks

Hamata
06-04-2012, 21:26
ok just got back home from school .

ps nice sword