PDA

View Full Version : CA modding summit

LestaT
06-07-2012, 07:18
Hi guys. Been long time since I've posted here so I do not know where's the correct place to place or someone else have already posted this (couldn't find it though). So moderators feel free to move to appropriate section or delete this if someone or CA already posted this.

There's a fair bit of misinformation flying around here. There's also some fact.

We'd like to hold a modding summit here at The Creative Assembly at the end of July. Maybe we'll hire a venue somewhere. The main thing is we can have these conversations with you ourselves, explain why limitations are in place if they exist, and help if there's any way we can.

If you're a modder yourself and would like to attend, drop me a line at RallyPoint@Creative-Assembly.com - else please pass this onto someone you know who likes to mod our games.

Thanks,

Craig.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=543806

Regards.

Peasant Phill
06-07-2012, 11:14
Thanks for letting us know LestaT. I believe there was already talk about sending a Org representative.

Vladimir
06-07-2012, 14:19
Thanks for letting us know LestaT. I believe there was already talk about sending a Org representative.

Will the Org pay for our travel and hotel accommodations? I don't need business class but I prefer Westin.

Peasant Phill
06-07-2012, 22:02
Will the Org pay for our travel and hotel accommodations? I don't need business class but I prefer Westin.

No, we have barely enough money to support my mojito addiction.

LestaT
06-08-2012, 05:43
Good to know. :-)

Not sure if all those good people since Rome days still active. Great time ahead hopefully.

Cheers !

I_damian
06-08-2012, 11:39
Don't see the point. CA are sold on making their games as un-moddable as possible so they can make money on DLC. In the process they deprive us of the work that hundreds of fantastic modders would do to their games, all so they can sell you a blood pack for 99 cents.

NagatsukaShumi
06-08-2012, 12:15
Good to know. :-)

Not sure if all those good people since Rome days still active. Great time ahead hopefully.

Cheers !

I'll be funding this myself, I may have a nervous breakdown if I have to drive through London again!

Oh, and I am from Shoggy 1 days, so if I am invited I will probe away! Politely naturally, I was going to be a games designer before I became a historian :2thumbsup:

Voigtkampf
06-11-2012, 08:05
Don't see the point. CA are sold on making their games as un-moddable as possible so they can make money on DLC. In the process they deprive us of the work that hundreds of fantastic modders would do to their games, all so they can sell you a blood pack for 99 cents.

Couldn't put it down better myself.

But to add another cynical injection into this conversation and quote CA...

The main thing is we can have these conversations with you ourselves, explain why limitations are in place if they exist

I especially like the "if they exist" part. :on_panda:

Nelson
06-15-2012, 17:54

I find this unfair. Is the expectation that CA should provide us, first and foremost, with a game engine suitable for easy modification by anyone into anything?! They are having the mod summit for some reason. If they wanted to stop mods altogether surely they could.

Remember that LOTS of players refuse to mod their games EVER unless the mod is official from the publisher. They are the same folks that religiously observe speed limits when driving and will never jaywalk. They just dig following rules and playing it safe at all times. They don’t trust mods not to disturb their game. Which a mod just might, as a matter of fact.

My point is that devs need not fear moders as a threat to their business model nor do I believe that CA does. I like mods but many players do not trust them.

I also like DLC even if I must pay for it. What is the alternative to such DLC? Dead end design? Monster games with spectacularly long development in order to include all imaginable features? RotS and FotS are great add ons. I like buying new planes for Rise of Flight, too, because if enough of us didn’t then we would never have them at all, flight sims being the niche that they are.

Play a game enough and you get the cost down to pennies an hour. We really should compare the price to other entertainment choices. This hobby is good for cheap fun.

Gregoshi
06-15-2012, 18:43
Remember that LOTS of players refuse to mod their games EVER unless the mod is official from the publisher. They are the same folks that religiously observe speed limits when driving and will never jaywalk. They just dig following rules and playing it safe at all times. They don’t trust mods not to disturb their game. Which a mod just might, as a matter of fact.
Wow. You just described me Nelson. :bow: