PDA

View Full Version : Campaign map

KLAssurbanipal
07-22-2012, 21:06
I think that we can see the old map (RTW1) and the new map (under it):

https://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6415/nc6ddre6r.jpg (https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/228/nc6ddre6r.jpg/)

cunctator
07-22-2012, 21:26
The text in the infobox says the extent of the Rome II map is still unclear. However James Rusell from CA smiled and answered "we will see" when they asked him if India will be included. The map below the old vanilla R:TW map looks like the EB 1 map. They link to the old Mundus Magnus mod for R:TW, which uses an old version of the map that would evolve into the EB 1 map. At least in 2005, don't know if there was ever another version of Mundus Magnus released.

quadalpha
07-22-2012, 21:27
I think it's more likely to be a random map of the area rather than the actual campaign map. I don't see why the magazine would cover up most of the new campaign map if they had it, since it would be a big scoop.

Arjos
07-22-2012, 21:28
So basically Rome 2 is CA learning to do their job from EB? :D

But I would agree that's just a speculative map ^^

Ibn-Khaldun
07-22-2012, 21:58
So basically Rome 2 is CA learning to do their job from EB? :D

But I would agree that's just a speculative map ^^

Haha.. So R2TW is actually EB3? :laugh4:

Philadelphos
11-10-2012, 19:44
As could be expected, the mapping thread has dropped to lowest interest. I'm afraid this will be reflected even in Rome Total War 2 with map accuracy still on low standard.

I'd love to see something different this time, a map that would be really stunning for accuracy and detail, maybe like this one:

I have been working on this map for four years and it has reached unprecedented detail in almost every part.
Here you have Greece and Asia Minor with every minor island in the right place. Consulting your atlas you can name them all.
And the best thing is that there are lots of land bridges to speed up the action.

If anybody is interested I can post more of this, maybe starting with Italy.

Brennus
11-10-2012, 21:10
EBII is actually a mod set in the Thirty Years War, all this talk of Gauls and Romans is just an elaborate bluff. Long live Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden!

Philadelphos
11-11-2012, 00:53
Are you kidding? Please give me a link where I can check the current state of EBII.

Anyway, here comes Italy.
You may note the following improvements:
- Sicily is bigger with more accurate hills, towns and ports.
- A land bridge from Rhegium to Messana makes sure that Rome actually goes to encounter the Carthaginians in Panormus.
- Better design for ports of Tarentum and Brundisium (yet to build)
- Regional borders in Italy are as close as possible to historic (and modern) borders (actually there has been little change over 2000 years). Especially the problem in southern Italy (where cities didn't correspond to regions) has been solved in a satisfying way: Bruttium - Rhegium; Lucania - Tarentum; Apulia - Brundisium; Magna Graecia (or Calabria) - Croton.
- The road system is as close as possible to Roman roads. You can find Via Appia, Via Valeria, Via Salaria, Via Cassia, Via Aurelia, Via Flaminia, and Via Aemilia.
- more accurate design of places like Gulf of Naples, Elba, Lagoon of Ravenna and more.
- Accurate design of the islands in the Adriatic Sea. Corresponding ports in Iader, Pharos, Rhizon, Epidamnus, Corcyra. Islands like Pharos and Corcyra sometimes took me days to get them as accurate as you can see them now.

Philadelphos
11-11-2012, 00:57
Sorry, my post was intended to be illustrated by a view of southern Italy, but I uploaded the wrong file.
Nothing bad about it. I guess you will note other improvements in the north.

Here is Sicily with southern Italy:

ReluctantSamurai
11-11-2012, 03:47
Many people don't realize the impact maps have on a game. I make maps for a very old SSI wargame called Pacific General, and I can tell you how much the maps dictate game-play....and how long good ones take to create.

So kudos and keep up the good work.

Arjos
11-11-2012, 09:55
I like your work, seen it already in few sub-fora...
Northern Italy still has only the Garda lake, so meh :P

As for the low interest about R2TW's map, without any to discuss, there isn't much to say...
But I agree, that a map (especially one with realistic choke points), makes for a better gameplay imo ^^

Brennus
11-11-2012, 17:55
Are you kidding? Please give me a link where I can check the current state of EBII.

Here we go:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?235-Europa-Barbarorum-II

I will say no more on EBII. Back to Rome 2.

Lemur
11-12-2012, 17:43
I think that we can see the old map (RTW1) and the new map (under it):

https://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6415/nc6ddre6r.jpg (https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/228/nc6ddre6r.jpg/)
So the campaign map for Rome II will be a broken image link? CURSE YOU CA!

Myth
11-19-2012, 09:45
Many people don't realize the impact maps have on a game. I make maps for a very old SSI wargame called Pacific General, and I can tell you how much the maps dictate game-play....and how long good ones take to create.

So kudos and keep up the good work.

Dude, I had played a demo of this game years ago and I had long since forgotten the name but I remember having lots of fun with it. I wanted to find it numerous times but never could remember the name. Thanks!

Kocmoc
11-19-2012, 14:30
The basic game is "Panzergeneral 4". There is a strong fanbase out there, with pretty good MP gaming and tons of mods and better units.
If you like PG, you probably will love this link:

http://www.rayy.de/raiders/

To the topic.

In any of the TW games, the map itself doenst matter at all in SP gaming. If you consider, that the majority of the SP are failing badly to play any good at the battles,
you can imagine, what they could achieve, if they got any battle-skills.

This said. Maps are a lot less important than the battles itself.

ReluctantSamurai
12-17-2012, 15:33
If you like the Panzer General series, this site has most of the new modding going on:

http://panzercentral.com/forum/

Yours truly is the moderator of the Pacific General Forum:bow:

This said. Maps are a lot less important than the battles itself.

I would have to respectfully disagree. Maps are very important at the campaign level in dictating how the game is played, and equally so at the tactical level in determining what terrain features are available for either side to take advantage of, and, I might add in determining player interest (how many times have you simply auto-calc a battle because you were tired of marching up a hill in a corner).

B-Wing
12-17-2012, 20:41
Not to insult your mapping skills in the least, Philadelphos, for they are quite good, but I don't think you'll ever see a Total War game with that many cities clustered into such a small area. Most players prefer field battles to siege battles, and one goal of R2TW (as I understand it) is to make field battles more common and more significant, hence having provinces with a single settlement divided into multiple districts which can be captured without any sieging (again, if I understand it correctly). Nice detail, though!

wumpus
12-24-2012, 13:44
Well, this opinion is open for debate. You can't control a region without controlling its towns and cities, but yes--some gamers prefer field battles to siege battles while others enjoy battles with a lot of catapults, breaking walls, street hand-to-hand fighting, or just simply racing the clock to be able to overwhelm the plaza before time runs out; so that's a nice topic to debate [and maybe have a poll] on. Hawooh.

lars573
12-24-2012, 18:42
Not to insult your mapping skills in the least, Philadelphos, for they are quite good, but I don't think you'll ever see a Total War game with that many cities clustered into such a small area. Most players prefer field battles to siege battles, and one goal of R2TW (as I understand it) is to make field battles more common and more significant, hence having provinces with a single settlement divided into multiple districts which can be captured without any sieging (again, if I understand it correctly). Nice detail, though!
In empire when you fought a pitch battle outside a provincial capitol and won all opposing forces retreat. Including those in the city, leaving it undefended. Then you march in and crush the armed citizenry.

And the multiple districts in a provinces could very well be based around control of a secondary city or town.