PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay slider pace of unit movement kill rates etc

total relism
09-26-2012, 15:57
On twcenter forum, I saw a thread, with the idea of adding gameplay sliders to total war. I think this would be a great idea. To be able to adjust how fast units move, or how fast they kill. I would love to be able to slow down how fast battles happen, or to be able to add more moral etc.

Kocmoc
09-26-2012, 16:04
No.

End of story. this just comes from people who simply fail to understand how complex the game is already and how it works.

The game has already way to many options and setting, this has to get reduced to give it at least a small chance to get some MP attention.
How this should be done anyway? I agree or just accept it?

The money you can choose from is already an indicator or adjustment to the speed of killing.

Since I see some posts from you going in the same direction, you should just create one good tread and put it together.
All I can say is, that apart a handful (maybe 2 handful) player, the rest simply fail to understand most parts of the game.

Koc

ReluctantSamurai
09-26-2012, 16:38
And there were ways to modify the games to slow down unit movement/turning speeds, and other ways to modify unit stats to change how the game was played. No need for a 'speed' slider, IMHO.

One aspect of the games also ignored, IMO, were the 'cookie cutter' maps. Battle maps have a very large impact on how battles are fought and good maps allow for more maneuvering prior to engaging in pitched battle......

total relism
09-26-2012, 16:42
No.

End of story. this just comes from people who simply fail to understand how complex the game is already and how it works.

The game has already way to many options and setting, this has to get reduced to give it at least a small chance to get some MP attention.
How this should be done anyway? I agree or just accept it?

The money you can choose from is already an indicator or adjustment to the speed of killing.

Since I see some posts from you going in the same direction, you should just create one good tread and put it together.
All I can say is, that apart a handful (maybe 2 handful) player, the rest simply fail to understand most parts of the game.

Koc

Maybe so, but how is it that mods are able to adjust speed of units,kill rates etc.

ReluctantSamurai
09-26-2012, 17:04
Visit the Scriptorium in the RTW forum. There are 7 pages of all kinds of ways to modify vanilla RTW and some of the other RTW spin-offs. In particular, this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?71243-Allowing-unit-to-attack-faster-slower-in-melee

GFX707
09-26-2012, 18:04
"That can be modded in later" is just a totally worthless reply. You can use that reply to dismiss a huge range of bugs, cut features, game breakers and shortcomings that should have been sorted out and it's really just the equivalent of burying your head in the sand.

If you don't like these hypothetical sliders, you could always just....not touch them. That way all you torch wielding peasants who fear change can remain blissfully ignorant with the default settings, while the rest of us who don't like the silly arcade fast battles of the last few TW games can slow things down to a "realistic" pace, more like STW and MTW.

Sp4
09-27-2012, 08:23
Someone should mod a good AI =p

ReluctantSamurai
09-27-2012, 14:36
If you don't like these hypothetical sliders, you could always just....not touch them.

You have one additional option.....don't purchase the game if you don't like the features~;)

GFX707
09-27-2012, 16:27
Hey! Here's a better option still. We could all just stick our fingers in our ears, close our eyes, and sit here going "La la la la".

My option caters to everyone. Yours caters to....you. It's OK. I understand. You are scared of change.

You could always mod the silly fast paced killing speed back in later though, right? You could "mod out" the sliders that terrify you later too? It can be modded out later after all!!!! There are 7 pages of all kinds of ways to modify vanilla RTW in the scriptorium, I'm sure that eventually there will be a tutorial on how to mod R2TW sliders that frighten people that are happy with the unrealistic kill speed and movement rates of the last few CA offerings out of the game, I mean, THERE'S SEVEN PAGES after all. It can be modded out later!!!!

total relism
09-27-2012, 17:54
Visit the Scriptorium in the RTW forum. There are 7 pages of all kinds of ways to modify vanilla RTW and some of the other RTW spin-offs. In particular, this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?71243-Allowing-unit-to-attack-faster-slower-in-melee

I was thinking more just unit stats. So like take down all atacking skill 5-10 etc.

total relism
09-27-2012, 17:57
"That can be modded in later" is just a totally worthless reply. You can use that reply to dismiss a huge range of bugs, cut features, game breakers and shortcomings that should have been sorted out and it's really just the equivalent of burying your head in the sand.

If you don't like these hypothetical sliders, you could always just....not touch them. That way all you torch wielding peasants who fear change can remain blissfully ignorant with the default settings, while the rest of us who don't like the silly arcade fast battles of the last few TW games can slow things down to a "realistic" pace, more like STW and MTW.

Hey! Here's a better option still. We could all just stick our fingers in our ears, close our eyes, and sit here going "La la la la".

My option caters to everyone. Yours caters to....you. It's OK. I understand. You are scared of change.

You could always mod the silly fast paced killing speed back in later though, right? You could "mod out" the sliders that terrify you later too? It can be modded out later after all!!!! There are 7 pages of all kinds of ways to modify vanilla RTW in the scriptorium, I'm sure that eventually there will be a tutorial on how to mod R2TW sliders that frighten people that are happy with the unrealistic kill speed and movement rates of the last few CA offerings out of the game, I mean, THERE'S SEVEN PAGES after all. It can be modded out later!!!!

that was that was beautiful.

ReluctantSamurai
09-28-2012, 22:41
I was thinking more just unit stats. So like take down all atacking skill 5-10 etc.

You can certainly do that. But....that will leave a whole slew of units with no attack value and will not get you what you want~;)

that was that was beautiful.

Not really. If you want to bash CA, then you can do that. If you want to complain about RTW and all of its' shortcomings, you can do that too.

I have no clue where you got that idea from~:confused: A poster was asking how to change the pace of an eight year old TW game and I simply pointed him in the right direction. RTW certainly had its' flaws, and there were many. But...with an hour or two of file modification, a player can correct a whole slew of RTW shortcomings that perhaps could have been avoided, or you can play one of the many fine RTW mods that are available. That said, CA has moved on to produce much, much better games and beating the proverbial dead horse is rather pointless, IMHO.

Again, my advice is that after RTW2 is released, wait for opinions from veteran players before buying it. If you don't like what you hear, keep your money in your pocket and buy something else.

Kocmoc
10-02-2012, 10:00
Maybe so, but how is it that mods are able to adjust speed of units,kill rates etc.

Well, I didnt say, that it isnt possible to adjust the killing speed or movement speed, actual almost anything is adjustable.

All I said is, that most people have no clue how things effect each other. To bring some small example:

If you remember the start of S2, you probably noticed those steroid units, like monks, who got flanked, reared and fronted. The same time,
this units fought till end of days and all mens of the unit got killed. Now I didnt took the time, till the monk units got killed, bout it surely took way too long.
This said, there you got units who could hold for a long time, too long…, all feareffects who lead to a rout was present, but the routingpoint was too high
and other effects, like supporteffects was too high.

In the end it was a mix of many effects, the circle of influence of the gen got reduced and some flank/reareffects go raised,
Im not 100% sure, how the routingpoints got changed…

Fact is, that there you got units who didnt got killed quick. Now that effect was not caused by a slider or whatever.
Many effects (also the high moral of the units itself) took place and has a combined effect.
There are tons of infos out there and from experience I can tell you, that adjusting and working around with stats is some hardcore work.

Thats why, again. No. Adjustments can be easy made by the present stats, there is no need for an extra slider.
Only people who lack knowledge of the mechanics of TW will ask for this.

Koc

ReluctantSamurai
10-04-2012, 00:36
There are tons of infos out there and from experience I can tell you, that adjusting and working around with stats is some hardcore work.

This.:hail: