View Full Version : New Faction Revealed

dge1
01-18-2013, 13:37
The third faction has been announced.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Factions

Macedon

edyzmedieval
01-18-2013, 14:54
Those shields look beautiful! Quite interested to play as Macedon, it offers something a bit more special because of their proximity to Athens and Sparta. Plus, if you get the economy going, you can easily expand.

Beskar
01-18-2013, 22:05
I have to admit, at least it makes a change from announcing a faction we know for sure will be in the game. (Like Gaul)

Macedonia wasn't even playable without mods in the original game.

Monk
01-18-2013, 23:05
[...]

Quite interested to play as Macedon, it offers something a bit more special because of their proximity to Athens and Sparta. Plus, if you get the economy going, you can easily expand.

Ask for thyself another kingdom, for that which has been left for you is too small.

edyzmedieval
01-19-2013, 02:08
Something like the Dacians? ~D

Or perhaps a minor tribe, or the Ptolemies in Egypt. Or Baktria.

Alexander the Pretty Good
01-19-2013, 03:30
It would be pretty fantastic if CA did more with client states instead of just "paint the map my color" conquest.

SalmonSoil
01-19-2013, 05:08
Yesssss I was worried that the playable faction in the Greece area would be something akin to 'Greek City States'. Also I really like the succesor state bonus they seem to have, but it makes me worry a little that they may be the only succesor state playable. Hopefully we get at least Egypt as well.

My predictions for the next 5 factions: A Gallic tribe (Probably the most dominant/famous), A Germanic tribe, Egypt, Seleucia and maybe Scythia or Parthia.

Beskar
01-19-2013, 14:39
It would be pretty fantastic if CA did more with client states instead of just "paint the map my color" conquest.

By the looks of the description, it had heavy emphasis on client states and it sounded like Macedonia had a bonus for having client states as well. Would be nice to have a good vassal feature, many games really don't do these with any justice.

Moros
01-19-2013, 22:56
They look rather pleasing indeed, especially the rather fancy and historically accurate shields. :yes:

The Stranger
01-20-2013, 00:01
I have to admit, at least it makes a change from announcing a faction we know for sure will be in the game. (Like Gaul)

Macedonia wasn't even playable without mods in the original game.

it was? but you just had to unluck it, right? or am i mistaken now? i thought every faction in rtw was playable without cheats or modding except the senate and rebels.

Moros
01-20-2013, 00:38
it was? but you just had to unluck it, right? or am i mistaken now? i thought every faction in rtw was playable without cheats or modding except the senate and rebels.

Nope more than half the factions weren't playable. Macedon was one of them, just like Spain for example.

Muecke
01-20-2013, 13:06
They look fantastic!
I hope they will add Epirus, but they probably won't :shame:

Arjos
01-20-2013, 13:14
I hope they will add Epirus, but they probably won't :shame:

Playable from the start seems very improbable, but as an NPC why not...
Most likely it will be part of a pricy DLC in the future :P

Muecke
01-20-2013, 13:24
Most likely it will be part of a pricy DLC in the future :P

I think a pricy DLC is still better than not playable. Can't wait to play this game :yes:

DaciaJC
01-22-2013, 02:06

Certain factions, the Roman ones, were available from the get-go. Others, like Gaul, were unlocked after completing a Roman campaign. Yet others, like Dacia, remained unplayable unless you made a small edit in the descr_strat.txt file.

Unfortunately, I don't think gaining access to nonplayable factions in Rome 2 will be as simple as editing a text file as in RTW.

The Stranger
01-22-2013, 18:27
Nope more than half the factions weren't playable. Macedon was one of them, just like Spain for example.

macedonia was definitely playable tho?

edyzmedieval
01-22-2013, 19:05
macedonia was definitely playable tho?

It was, you just had to edit the text file and that was it.

Beskar
01-22-2013, 21:52
As playable as Pagans are in CK2.

Myth
01-24-2013, 09:26
Interesting indeed. But to summarize:

Good infantry
Good cavalry (two hight tier units mentioned)
Bad archers by virtue of omission (perhaps reliant on mercs)
Bad navy
Bonus fighting Greeks, Seleucids, Ptolemic Egypt and friends
Bonus fighting "barbarians" (so basically anyone bar other Hellenistic states, Romans, Carthagenians and Pontus?)
Bonus pop growth
Bonus happiness
Negative diplomacy with Hellenistic factions (who needs diplomacy anyway)

SalmonSoil
02-01-2013, 11:30
Certain factions, the Roman ones, were available from the get-go. Others, like Gaul, were unlocked after completing a Roman campaign. Yet others, like Dacia, remained unplayable unless you made a small edit in the descr_strat.txt file.

Unfortunately, I don't think gaining access to nonplayable factions in Rome 2 will be as simple as editing a text file as in RTW.

I know there is a way to make all nonplayable factions in Shogun 2 playable, so I assume someone will figure something out eventually.

Oene
02-07-2013, 23:56
I hope Parthia will be one of the 8

SkySonata
02-08-2013, 12:52
I'm so excited about this.
Probably would even get my PC updated to really feel the game.

It so cool they added Macedonians - their contest of the world is for some reason more appealing to me than the Roman one. The Romans were to cocky :)