PDA

View Full Version : Faction Reveal 7: Pahlava!

KLAssurbanipal
03-07-2013, 14:29
7. PARTIA

https://i.imgur.com/yqgKfpm.jpg

“Tolerance, justice, profit”

The ascension to power of Arsaces, leader of the Parni tribe, assured them victory against the Seleucid protectorate of Parthava, who had been weakened in their attempts to break free of Greco-Macedonian rule. Thus began the rise of Parthia, an eastern empire comparable to the Achaemenid dynasty of old and one of the few who came close to matching the power and wealth of Rome.

A confederation of tribes, Parthia is famed for its horses, nomadic horse-archers and heavy cavalry, the latter developing distinctive bronze or iron scaled armour which covers both horse and rider. For its infantry it relies on ethnic Persian/Iranian hillmen, spear and skirmisher units and sometimes mercenaries, armed and drilled in the Seleucid fashion.

Blending Persian, Hellenistic and local cultures, Parthia’s religious practices and philosophies include veneration of both Greek and Iranian Gods, and the practice of Zoroastrianism. Over time, a noble elite has developed, holding key areas of agricultural land upon which the economy is based, while trade via the emerging Silk Road enables its agents to move easily throughout the ancient world.

As an Eastern faction, Parthia profits from the rich heritage established by the Persian Empire both in its capacity for trade and in its cultural strength. A degree of tolerance for foreign cultures further eases Parthian conquest of new lands, but their Zoroastrian practices mean an aversion to slavery, which is detrimental to both the economy and to public order. In battle, their great marksmanship and mastery of cavalry makes them a force to be reckoned with when fighting on open ground.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Parthia_Faction

https://i.imgur.com/r6uQBHE.jpg

The Outsider
03-07-2013, 14:40
Oh yes oh yes! This is just what I was waiting for. I love partia. And I must say those horse armours look perfect! Thanks for sharing buddy!

Lemur
03-07-2013, 16:38
Whew. I was worried we were only going to begin with Western factions, and all of the Eastern ones would be DLC.

This is good news.

johnhughthom
03-07-2013, 16:45
:charge:

Arjos
03-07-2013, 17:14
Whew. I was worried we were only going to begin with Western factions, and all of the Eastern ones would be DLC.

Thought the same, this was a most welcomed surprise :)

BTW what is Susa doing there? Unless I'm much mistaken, it should be on the edges of Mesopotamia :S

The Outsider
03-07-2013, 17:56
By the way, I cant help but notice the detail of the city in the back ground. It looks very nice.

andrewt
03-07-2013, 19:03
Yes! I loved this faction in Rome.

Barkhorn1x
03-07-2013, 19:39
Very nice and I must state that things are progressing nicely in terms of what we know so far.

So Egypt last then?

The Outsider
03-07-2013, 20:04
Very nice and I must state that things are progressing nicely in terms of what we know so far.

So Egypt last then?

Yep. Thats what it looks like. I guess no selecuids for us.

Ca Putt
03-07-2013, 22:11
BTW what is Susa doing there? Unless I'm much mistaken, it should be on the edges of Mesopotamia :Sthat's Susia, modern day Tus, Iran. Their choice of Province capitals is really strange if you ask me.

btw: has anyone noticed the dark part east of Baktria? I'm pretty sure that's the end of "ye known World"

johnhughthom
03-07-2013, 22:16
Further east than I expected, to be fair.

Rhyfelwyr
03-07-2013, 22:32
I've been really impressed with how the units look, in terms of being more historical and just looking nice.

Oene
03-08-2013, 00:30
Hell yes! Parthia FTW!

Monk
03-08-2013, 03:58
CA is doing a fantastic job making these faction previews. It's a bit hard not to get a little hyped, of course it probably helps that I enjoyed the last game a great deal. :yes:

Good to see Parthia made the initial 8, really would have hated to see them slip to minor faction status. Can't wait to see who is the last reveal.

rickinator9
03-08-2013, 14:09
Good to see Parthia made the initial 8, really would have hated to see them slip to minor faction status. Can't wait to see who is the last reveal.

It better be Seleukeia. You can't label the faction that holds most of the east 'minor'.

Myth
03-08-2013, 14:15
Bot the Seleucids and the Ptolemies would be a joke if labelled as minor factions... :shrug:

Ishmael
03-08-2013, 14:48
It better be Seleukeia. You can't label the faction that holds most of the east 'minor'.

That's actually what makes me think that the Seleucids won't make the cut. If you look at the factions so far most of them are pretty small - Carthage is the largest with 5 provinces, then Rome with 4, Macedon with 3 and the rest with 1. It seems CA wants the player to build their own empire (which I prefer, to be honest), and the Ptolemies seem to fit that concept better.

Arjos
03-08-2013, 15:21
The way I see the only criterium adopted was: did it directly influence and fought against Roma? :P
Thankfully they decided to put the Pahlava in...

I agree that both Seleukidai and Ptolemaioi should be a must and I expect only the latter to make it...
But now for example, as playable factions go, Iberia is empty (since the Karthadastim don't even have colonies, by the preview), the whole eastern Europe and the steppes are empty, same goes for that reknowed pacific and stagnant place called Asia Minor (:P)...

I mean sure we are going to see the famous 40+ factions (or was it 80), I wonder how much research went in them at this point...
Maybe they started big and after 8, said "oh the hell with this!" XD

I don't understand this trend of going with fewer and fewer starting factions. Sincerely hope that each DLC pack will have at least 8 well researched factions, unlocked, otherwise CA can even keep this...

btw: has anyone noticed the dark part east of Baktria? I'm pretty sure that's the end of "ye known World"

Sure looks like and seems to fit with Nikator's empire, hint for the Arche? :D

The Outsider
03-08-2013, 16:22
well you are right. How ever, thats exactly what they did with muhgals in empire. Eventhough starting from scracth is challenging and all, conrolling a large empire can be quite a challange as well. We all saw this in barbarian invasion. So i think the main reason for limited factins got nothing to do with game play. Its all about dlc sales.

Wow. I cant help but notice that this is my 100th post in 8 years. I sure am going fast

Cvetko
03-08-2013, 16:22
Allow me to post some RETARDED ROOSTER!!!

The anticipation is killing us, CA and PARTHIA are walking SWAG!!! :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32PqB2fdIs

The Outsider
03-08-2013, 16:45
So you are persian afterall? :yes:

Monk
03-09-2013, 00:56
well you are right. How ever, thats exactly what they did with muhgals in empire. Eventhough starting from scracth is challenging and all, conrolling a large empire can be quite a challange as well. We all saw this in barbarian invasion. So i think the main reason for limited factins got nothing to do with game play. Its all about dlc sales.

Wow. I cant help but notice that this is my 100th post in 8 years. I sure am going fast

I was actually thinking the same. Seleukeia may not make the cut purely so they can serve as the nemesis of any eastern ambitions the player might have, just as the Mughals did in Empire. I'd actually be okay with that!

Myth
03-10-2013, 19:59
Cvetko is a Bulgarian name. Cvqt (Цвят) means blossom in this case, though it doesn't sound so powerpuff-y in Bulgarian. He could also be Serbian since some names overlap, like Nevena for example.

The Outsider
03-10-2013, 22:55
Intereseting info mate. thanks for soothing my curiosty :bow: