PDA

View Full Version : Greek Tragedy

Franconicus
03-23-2013, 19:51
I N T R O D U C T I O N

Dareios the King, son of Hystaspes, Achaemenid, King of Kings of Persia, Pharaoh of Egypt, King of Babylonia, rules the greatest empire ever seen in history. It covers the provinces Across the sea, Akaufaka, Arabia, Arachosia, Aria, Armenia, Assyria, Babylonia, Bactria, Cappadocia, Caria, Chorasmia, Dahae, Drangiana, 1st Egyptian Satrapy, 2nd Egyptian Satrapy, Eber-Nari, Elam, Gandhara, Gedrosia, Hyrcania, Ionia, Hindush, Libya, Maka, Media, Parthia, Persia, Quadia, Saka, Sardis, Sattagydia, Skudra, Sogdia and Yehud. Hundreds of peoples and tribes in the civilized world owe their lives to Dareios the King. The King himself donates his subjects peace and welfare and he protects them from the barbarian tribes residing at the edges of the great empire.

At the far western border of the realm, at the great satrapy Sardis, there are living the subjects of the Ionian nation. They live at cities, ruled by Ionian lords, appointed as tyrants by the Satrap of Sardis, Artapherus. These cities live mainly from the trade with the Ionian cities in the west.

Sales are slow lately. The occupation of Egypt, the war against Scythians and the destruction of Sybaris at Italy cut off the Ionian cities from their trade partners. Discontent with the Persian rule grew.

About 40 years after the Persian conquest of Ionia, the stand-in Milesian tyrant Aristagoras found himself in this familiar predicament. Aristagoras's uncle Histiaeus had accompanied Darius on the Scythian campaign, and when offered a reward, had asked for part of the conquered Thracian territory. Although this was granted, Histiaeus's ambition alarmed Darius's advisors, and Histiaeus was thus further 'rewarded' by being compelled to remain in Susa as Darius's "Royal Table-Companion". Taking over from Histiaeus, Aristagoras was faced with bubbling discontent in Miletus. In the year 22, Aristagoras was approached by some exiles from Naxos, who asked him to take control of the island. Seeing an opportunity to strengthen his position in Miletus by conquering Naxos, Aristagoras approached the satrap of Lydia, Artaphernes, with a proposal. If Artaphernes provided an army, Aristagoras would conquer the island, thus extending the boundaries of the empire for Darius, and he would then give Artaphernes a share of the spoils to cover the cost of raising the army. Artaphernes agreed in principle, and asked Darius for permission to launch the expedition. Darius assented to this, and a force of 200 triremes was assembled in order to attack Naxos the following year.
In the spring of the year 23, Artaphernes readied the Persian force, and placed his cousin Megabates in command. He then sent ships on to Miletus, where the Ionian troops levied by Aristagoras embarked, and the force then set sail for Naxos.

The expedition quickly descended into a debacle. Aristagoras fell out with Megabates on the journey towards Naxos. The Naxians were able to prepare properly for a siege, and the Persians arrived to a well-defended expedition. The Persians laid siege to the Naxians for four months, but eventually they and Aristagoras both ran out of money. The force therefore sailed despondently back to the mainland.

With the failure of his attempt to conquer Naxos, Aristagoras finds himself in dire straits; he is unable to repay Artaphernes, and has, moreover, alienated himself from the Persian royal family.

PLAYERS:

The Stranger - Aristogoras - Milet
Kival - Pixodarus - Caria
Greyblades - Onesilos - Cyprus
King Kurt - Helespont

Arjos - Ottanes - son-in-law of Dareios
Rickinator9 - Daurises - son-in-law of Dareios

King Kurt
03-24-2013, 23:15
Franc need anybody else?

rickinator9
03-25-2013, 00:50
Franc need anybody else?

I believe there's still a spot for a persian commander.

Arjos
03-25-2013, 08:59
So what has the Tyrranos of Miletos to say?

I'm sure the favored of Ahuramazda, Dârayavauš, Shahanshah, is very much interested in hearing from Aristagoras...

Franconicus
03-25-2013, 14:05
Franc need anybody else?

Want to play Perisa or Greek?

Franconicus
03-25-2013, 14:38
First Chapter - Year 23

A strong wind from the west drives waves and clouds against the beach. It is difficult to decide, where the sea ends and where the sky begins. On the opposite side the first light of day appears, but it is still uncertain if the daylight will overwhelm the darkness of the storm.
At the camp south of Milet, Aristogoras, the tyrant of the city, has been walking up and down the beach, not taking notice of the wind or the clouds. But now as the daylight comes, he knows that he cannot ignore it. It is time to act now.

At night, he received news from his hometown and an agents brought him his money, all he has got. Now, he intends to use it right.

He sees the first hoplite stepping out of his tent, stretching and coughing. Aristogoras calls him and gives him the order to send all military leaders to his tent, immediately. The soldier looks surprised, but he is used to obey and soon the military leaders are gathered. Aristogoras looks into their faces. He sees Ionian hoplites, Crete slingers as well as Phoenician and Egyptian rowers. Most of them fight for money. And in this aspect as well as any other, the campaign has been a terrible failure. Aristogoras knows that the men haven't received their pay for a while and most likely, the satrap of Sardis won't be willing to pay the bills any longer. So Aristogoras makes them another offer, a risky one, indeed, much more dangerous than the expedition against Naxos, but also much more profitable. The men are taken by surprise, they hesitate and argue, but in the end they are overwhelmed by their greed. They welcome Aristogoras as their new commander.
His first order is to arrest the other tyrants from Ionia, which had accompanied the campaign. Then he turns to Milet for the next act.

The city of Milet welcomes their tyrant. When he tells them that he is no longer following the orders of Dareios, people are scared first, but then they are applauding. Only Hecataeus the Historian argues against Arisotogoras. He tries to make people see that it is insane that a single city wants to fight an empire that covers almost the entire world. But Aristogoras' arguments and money convince the people and he is nominated as leader of the military council of Milet.

Franconicus
03-25-2013, 19:13
You all get more details sasp!

The Stranger
03-25-2013, 20:30
A message for the satrap of Sardis

I, Aristogoras, have set Milet free. We demand freedom for all the Greek, Karian and Thracian people you have enslaved beneath your tyrannical Persian rule. We do not wish to claim our freedom at the price of blood, but we shall fight until the death if needed, as all soldiers must. Accept our terms and we shall continue to live in peace and prosperity. Deny them to us and we shall take what is ours. You have until sunrise tomorrow to give us your answer.

Aristogoras.

Franconicus
03-26-2013, 14:57
This is someting I cannot decide. I sent your beg to Dareios, King of the Kings.

Arthaphernes - Satrap of Sardis

King Kurt
03-26-2013, 23:57
Want to play Perisa or Greek?

Greek looks fun I will shine up my hoplon

Greyblades
03-27-2013, 00:23
Well, we're going to need a new king of Amathus shortly.
This is said OOC of course.

Arjos
03-27-2013, 14:16
Aristagoras, people throughout the empire are free: the most magnificent roads and the most efficient waystations system link the known world. Trade has never been better and all religious beliefs are welcomed and respected.
Quit hiding behind masses, misguided by your poisonous demagoguery! Face the consequences of your failed campaign, prostrate to the champion of Ahuramazda and ask for his mercy...
Your own actions are threatening the very peaceful coexistence, the Shahanshah has given to the four corners of the universe!

Utâna

The Stranger
03-27-2013, 19:26
I do not know what you call freedom, but I do not see why we should bow down to a king who sits on his throne with his fattened buttcheeks which threathen to crush the entire world he covets to sit upon. He does not speak our tongue, we have never laid eyes upon his majesty and I doubt the fool even know's where Ionia lies on a map. You have whipped us once before with your strength but you shall not take our honour. I will not take blame for a failure caused by your admiral. I owe you nothing but the tip of my spear. Come and get it if you want.

Aristagoras

Franconicus
03-27-2013, 19:26
Everybody should have infos now. I am waiting for your moves!

rickinator9
03-27-2013, 21:20
A city built by Slaves, maintained by Slaves, taught by Slaves and defended by Slaves is a city destined to fall. Everyone knows what the future is, you can only delay it.

The Stranger
03-27-2013, 23:51
That you refer to us as slaves only adds more authority to our claim. The Gods favor the Righteous!

Greyblades
03-27-2013, 23:52
A city built by Slaves, maintained by Slaves, taught by Slaves and defended by Slaves is a city destined to fall. Everyone knows what the future is, you can only delay it.

...Didnt your side just say we were free? Might want to get your message straight.

rickinator9
03-28-2013, 12:08
You are free, but the thousands of slaves you have are not.

Franconicus
03-28-2013, 12:59
I guess you all noticed that King Kurt now controls the Greek Cities of the Helespont

The Stranger
03-29-2013, 00:35
which cities are those?

rickinator9
03-29-2013, 00:53
I think Sestos and the western coast of the Troad. If this foreigner ruling the area, who calls himself 'King Kurt', will follow your example, he will be dealt with the same way as you.

...Didnt your side just say we were free? Might want to get your message straight.
That comment wasn't aimed at you, Yauna from Kypros.

~ Dahurisa

Franconicus
03-29-2013, 14:14
which cities are those?

Dardanus, Abydos, Percote, Lampsacus and Paesus

Franconicus
03-29-2013, 14:18
I already received orders from Milet, Cyprus and the Persian commanders. Caria (Kival) and Hellespont (King Kurt) are missing.

Deadline is on Wednesday!

Nice holidays!!

rickinator9
03-29-2013, 15:58
Holidays?! There are no holidays in war!

~ Dahurisa

Franconicus
03-29-2013, 17:43
Holidays?! There are no holidays in war!

~ Dahurisa

So isn't it a holiday if the enemy lays finally on the ground?

The Stranger
03-29-2013, 21:35
but in that case war is over :P so hes right, no holidays in war :charge:

Franconicus
03-31-2013, 13:15
I still hope there will be a peaceful solution for all problems :angel:

rickinator9
03-31-2013, 17:24

We would accept peace if the Yauna's submit peacefully.

~ Dahurisa

Greyblades
03-31-2013, 21:11

There are... Will we use em? Ehhh...

rickinator9
04-04-2013, 09:04
So, what's the status on the orders?

Franconicus
04-04-2013, 09:52
Deadline is over and I will try to continue the story on Monday.
Haven't received anything from Caria and Helespont, so I assume these provinces are still quiet.
The Stranger owes me still a speech!!!

King Kurt
04-04-2013, 13:03
Sorry about delay on orders - just sent them in and replied to PMs - just back from my hols!!

By the way, in the interactive, I will be assuming the role of Miltiades, Lord of the Hellespont

The Stranger
04-04-2013, 13:55
Deadline is over and I will try to continue the story on Monday.
Haven't received anything from Caria and Helespont, so I assume these provinces are still quiet.
The Stranger owes me still a speech!!!

oh i thought i had to give u that this turn? sorry misunderstood :P i will send it tomorrow or saturday!

Franconicus
04-08-2013, 13:46
Second Chapter - Fist half of year 24

The Ionian rebellion quickly spreads. The cities of Ephesus, Colophon, Lebedos, Teos, Clazomenae, and Erythrae, and the islands of Samos and Chios join Aristagoras. He gathers his army at Milet and prepares the defense of the town. While his army is exercising, Aristogoras himself sails to the Greek homeland to gather supporters. His journey is not very successful, only Athens and the city of Eritria decide to support him with troops. However, when he returns home, he hears news that other areas of the Persian Empire arose, too.

At Cyprus, Onesilus uses the occasion of the Ionian revolt to capture the city of Salamis and usurp his brother’s throne; he is able to win every city on the island except for the Graeco-Phoenician city-state of Amathus, which stays loyal to the Persians. He calls himself now "King of the United Kingdom of Cyprus"; Onesilus besieges the city to wipe out the last stronghold of the Persians on the island.

At the Hellespont the cities of Dardanus, Abydos, Percote, Lampsacus and Paesus decide to use the opportunity to free themselves from the Persian rule.

By contrast, the cities of Caria Myus, Priene, Mydnos, Helicarnassus remain loyal to Persia.

Until now, the rebelling cities are still waiting for the reaction of Dareios. But has the King of the Kings already realized that the outmost part of his empire revolts? Only rumors arrive at the Ionian coast: One says that the Persian gather a huge army at Phygria with more than 200,000 men. Others say that a mighty fleet of Phoenician and Egyptian warships already set sails to attack Cyprus. Even others swear that they saw an arm
my of at least 150,000 men gathering at Cilicia.

If these rumors are true, the situation may soon escalate.

Greyblades
04-09-2013, 12:22
"Dareios,

You elevated the wrong brother, I have corrected that mistake.

Onesilus"

Greyblades
04-10-2013, 21:37
so... anyone got anything to say?

The Stranger
04-11-2013, 10:52
The time for words has passed, now is the time for spears and shields! I call upon all free men, subdued within the boundaries of this all devouring beast to join our cause. Pick up your sword, pick up your spear or axe, and together we shall bring down this beast and still its hunger once and for all!

Franconicus
04-12-2013, 17:02
You may know that the Persians have their own PFN (Persian Forces Network). So do not expect them to post here. Kival was so scared abou the revolt, that he went into hiding. Or is it because of the reason that two German clubs reached the semi-finals and he cannot stop partying? Hope he will pop up soon, or I will have to take control of his cities. K.K. finally appeared again and he should know the last chapter at least. I think he is still paralyzed about the fact the there is no more English club in the Champions League. What a pity!

I think that violance may break out soon and every party should send instructions for this case, please!

The Stranger
04-12-2013, 22:35
when is the deadline?

Arjos
04-13-2013, 06:17
You may know that the Persians have their own PFN (Persian Forces Network). So do not expect them to post here.

We are reading, but it's not like there's much to say in here :P

Kival was so scared abou the revolt, that he went into hiding.

He hasn't logged since easter, I think he's in some sort of vacation...

Greyblades
04-13-2013, 11:12
We are reading, but it's not like there's much to say in here :P
You silly persian Kingggniggets! I fart on your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

King Kurt
04-15-2013, 06:48
. K.K. finally appeared again and he should know the last chapter at least. I think he is still paralyzed about the fact the there is no more English club in the Champions League. What a pity!

I think that violance may break out soon and every party should send instructions for this case, please!

I shold point out that the only English club worth talking about -Fulham- did OK during their Eurpean adventure reaching the Final and leaving a couple of German teams in tears in their wake!!!!

The Lord of the Hellespont is currently cruising the Blue waters of the sea of Marmara, contemplating his next move - no sign of the Persian dogs. obviously running scared from the serried ranks of Greek spears.

Franconicus
04-15-2013, 17:32
I shold point out that the only English club worth talking about -Fulham- did OK during their Eurpean adventure reaching the Final and leaving a couple of German teams in tears in their wake!!!!

The Lord of the Hellespont is currently cruising the Blue waters of the sea of Marmara, contemplating his next move - no sign of the Persian dogs. obviously running scared from the serried ranks of Greek spears.

Fulham? Isn't that an Arabian club??

Deadline on Friday!
Don't forget to send me the deployments of your troops!

Greyblades
04-18-2013, 00:49
Ug, my kingdom for the ability to create catapults!

rickinator9
04-18-2013, 14:37
Ug, my kingdom for the ability to create catapults!

Why would you need catapults if you continue to cowardly hide on your island drinking wine all day?

rickinator9
04-18-2013, 14:38
Edit: Doublepost

Greyblades
04-18-2013, 14:46
Why would you need catapults if you continue to cowardly hide on your island drinking wine all day?

I have a desperate need to paint a few walls persian red.

Franconicus
04-22-2013, 19:27
I hav received orders from Milet, Cyprus and the Persians.

rickinator9
04-23-2013, 00:43
Perhaps send those players a PM in case they don't check the thread too often.

King Kurt
04-23-2013, 13:06
Orders in - sorry re the delay. We had good weather this weekend - the first since about September so naturally I went to the beach!! Historic note - it was Queen Victoria and Albert's private beach complete with her private bathing machine. No sign of Albert's towel on the sunlounger though!!

Franconicus
04-23-2013, 14:10
Alright, I hope I get the next chapter during the week.

King Kurt
04-23-2013, 18:47
The bards are preparing an epic poem in celebration of Greek success even as you write!!!!

Greyblades
04-23-2013, 20:09
And my bards are trying to scare a city into submission. Yes they are that bad.

Franconicus
04-26-2013, 16:33
Just a short note before the bardes begin their balads: This is a war campaign. Technological developments do nt mean a lot, economy and diplomacy have only monor impacts.

The focus is war. So do what every good commander has to do:
1) Get your troops fit for combat.
2) Become familiar with the strength and weakness of your troops and of those of the enemy.
3) Find the right strategy.
4) Find the right tactics.
5) Win!

Every player should have finished step 4.

Greyblades
04-26-2013, 17:42
If I was allowed a catapult I would have won by now. Bwahahah etc.

Franconicus
04-26-2013, 18:20
If the Persians had nukes ...

Franconicus
04-26-2013, 20:36

Third Chapter - Second half of year 24

As the year goes on, it seems as the conflict makes a break. In the south, Onesilos still besieges the Cyprus city of Amathus. Although the defenders are outnumbered badly, progress is poor. Onesilos' troops keep far away from the city walls, which they do not dare to assault. They begin to dig trenches to the walls, but this takes time. In the meanwhile, Onesilos makes his troops.

The besieger try to weaken the defenders with a marching band, which makes such a noise that nobody is able to sleep. It seems that one day even Onesilos is bored by the slow progress and orders to attack - during night. About 3 o'clock in the morning archers approach the city from different directions, shoot fire arrows into the city and then retreat once they have sent one volley over the walls, regroup and attack a different area. Soon, all the citizens are fighting the fire while the soldiers equip walls. Then, a fire ship approaches from the seaside and attracts the attention of the guards there. A landing stage is destroyed, but as the ships of Amathus are inside the walls, there is no further damage. Many citizens gathered at the walls to watch the burning ship and stage. They see a couple of men trying to intrude from the seaside. The alarmed soldiers can easily overwhelm them.

At Miletus, Aristogoras is forced to gather more funds to pay his mercenaries. Some of the citizens of Miletus and the allied cities seem to think now that it might have been wiser to stay Persian than to lose all the money. Three farmers try to leave the town with their property. They are executed. Aristogoras does not dare to attack Sardis, but he sends troops to pillage the fields around the city. He also tells his fleet to hunt Persian ships. Obviously he is trying to provoke a Persian reaction, something that should not be hard to achieve.

In November news arrives at Miletus that Persian reinforcements arrive at Sardis and that more than 20,000 Persians camp at Cyme to prepare a campaign against Arisotgoras and his followers.

Themistocles imposes a tariff on all ships moving through the Dardenelles. He tries to prepare his army for war. Raises militia, strengthen defences, city walls and stockpiles food from local area. However, he is taken by surprise by the unexpected approach of a Persian army. Over 20,000 Persian soldiers under the command of Ottanes - among them a lot of cavalry - threatens the city of Paesus. The garrison, only 1,500 soldiers, and 50 citizens try to retreat to Lampsacus. However, Persian cavalry catches them and only 500 manage to reach the city walls of Lampsacus. Paesus is now controlled by Ottanes and may be the base for conquering the coast of Troad.

Caria is now controlled by me, at least temporarilly.

Greyblades
04-27-2013, 04:53
Knew it wouldnt be that easy.

Franconicus
04-28-2013, 18:13
May become worse!

Now that the hostile armies are close, I would like to shorten the time steps. So please make your orders for the period of the next months.
I would also like to give you maximum influence. You can give details to the deployment of your troops, basic orders for combat, location etc. In this age, the commander had little influence during battle. Usually he fought somewhere in the battle line.

Please tell me where your character will be!

How much time do you need?

The Stranger
04-28-2013, 19:23
can we have a detailed map then? i looked but couldnt really find a good one, if anyone has can he share it?

rickinator9
04-29-2013, 00:50
can we have a detailed map then? i looked but couldnt really find a good one, if anyone has can he share it?
http://pelagios.dme.ait.ac.at/maps/greco-roman/ seems to be offline, but this one is good too: http://www.hipkiss.org/data/maps/j-m-dent-and-sons_atlas-of-ancient-and-classical-geography_1912_asia-minor_3296_2114_600.jpg

The Stranger
04-29-2013, 21:15
i have exams coming up so i will kinda be unavailabe untill the 11th :S i hope it is not a big problem

rickinator9
04-30-2013, 14:24
http://pelagios.dme.ait.ac.at/maps/greco-roman/ is up again!

Franconicus
05-01-2013, 17:39
i have exams coming up so i will kinda be unavailabe untill the 11th :S i hope it is not a big problem

No problem at all. It gives the others a lot of opportunities to work on the details of their battle plans.
What is the exam about - Clausewitz?

The Stranger
05-01-2013, 22:56
locke and descartes and another one about emotions =_=

Franconicus
05-06-2013, 17:35
French and English philosophers?

rickinator9
05-06-2013, 22:19
Science > Philosophy

The Stranger
05-08-2013, 01:04
Science > Philosophy

you clearly have understood neither very well if you truly believe that :)

Franconicus
05-08-2013, 16:43
Maybe the wrong place for such a discussion, although tought natural sciences were originally a sub-discipline of philosophy.

The Stranger
05-08-2013, 20:02
depends on what you call science ofcourse, but the study of nature etc was part of philosophy. they basically were indistinguishable. the ancienct philosophers untill renaissance basically studied everything. from maths, to physics to ethics but ofcourse its not science as practiced now although many phrases such as atoms, substances etc still remain.

Franconicus
05-09-2013, 09:16
How are your exams going? When can we go on?

The Stranger
05-09-2013, 09:29
i have my last exam on the 11th. im sure i can get my orders in by the 15th. is that ok? sorry for the delay but these are really important, i need to pass them in order to graduate :P

Franconicus
05-09-2013, 10:58
I see: For school we are learning, not for life.

Greyblades
05-09-2013, 11:01
Unfortunately learning war tactics doesnt really pay the bills these days but if everyone went to higher education for purely the ability to make money, life would get boring fast.

Franconicus
05-12-2013, 17:59
Of course you should go to school to improve your personality, your social skills etc. War tactics can be useful in social life as well as in business.

Back to topic:

1) If you make your orders, try to be as precise as possible. One example: If you write "My archers will build a first line and my spearmen a second one behind them" this will be execute as written. Taht means your archers will form one line, a very thin and long one. Better might be to place thim i one row with three elements depth.

2) Do not forget to tell me where you are. The enemy may try to attack the commander of the enemy - you!

Greyblades
05-13-2013, 22:30
Um.. so I kinda forgot that I had an exam on wednesday, I thought it would be on friday and I would have enough time to do a plan and still have time to revise, so I'll have to do it afterwards, sorry for the delay.

Franconicus
05-17-2013, 08:38
So are the Greek gentlemen finally ready to fight?

The Stranger
05-18-2013, 11:35
were ready to fry some persians

rickinator9
05-18-2013, 23:40
So are the Greek gentlemen finally ready to fight?

Did you receive my PM?

Franconicus
05-19-2013, 09:26
Yes!

So rickinator and GB are missing!

rickinator9
05-19-2013, 16:51
Hmm, I didn't get one back. I can only assume Smyrna is traitorous aswell then.

Greyblades
05-19-2013, 21:41
Missing no longer. Orders are in.

King Kurt
05-21-2013, 13:47
My move is in as well - bring on the dead Persians. I'm off to polish my hoplon.

Franconicus
05-24-2013, 13:16
Fourth Chapter - First three months of year 25

- Northern Theatre

After the occupation of Paesus the Persian army under the command of Ottanes is quickly moving further towards the city of Lampasus, which Ottanes finds undefended, too. The Persians march further along the coast and are able to occupy Perkote without meeting Ionian resistance. Once again, all soldiers as well as the families, which support the rebellion, already left the city. The Persians move further to Abydos. They find the town defended, all wells around are poisoned. The Persians get ready to assault the city. From the surrounding hills bands of light infantry try to attack the Persian camps, but they are repelled by Persian cavalry patrols.

- Southern Theatre:

At Cyprus, Onesilos gets tired of the siege and tells his troops to prepare an assault. He sends a message to the defenders and asks them to surrender. Then his men get ready for combat. At the night before the battle two triremes manage to break out of the harbor of the city of Amathus and disappear in the darkness. When the next day break, Onesilos gives the signal to attack. Assault groups try to get over the walls with ladders, while another groups tries to break through the gate. Within an hour, the city walls are under control of the invaders. Most of the defenders throw away their arms and try to find shelter in one of the temples. Only a couple of soldiers make a last stand in the tower of Amathus. However, when they see the overwhelming number of enemies equipped with battery rams, they decide to lay down their arms and accept Onesilos as King of Amathus. He controls the whole island now. However, he has to find out that his enemy, the former King of Amathus, left the city before the assault.

- Central Theatre:

Early this year, Daurises leaves Cyme with about 25,000 men. He is heading south and soon reaches Smyrna, which he finds still loyal to the king. He decides to march along the coast to assault Klazomenai and Teos, but when he gets news that the army of the enemy is devastating the valley between Smyrna and Sardis, he decides to go straight into the main land of the enemy. Soon he arrives Ephesus and occupies the city. Here more news arrive, that a hostile fleet landed at the beaches of Smyrna, which was soon supported by the main army of the Ionian. I the meantime, Caria gathers her army at the sacred sites of Priene.

Greyblades
05-24-2013, 13:35
That went better than I expected. Might have to do something in case of a potential return of the king scenario, but so far I appear to be doing better than the historical Onesilos.

Franconicus
05-27-2013, 16:06
Now it is complete.

GB, yes, you did better! CVongratulation!!

KK, how do you want to bring death to Persians if you hide behind your walls?

While in the north and south there are clear frontiers, in the centre stranger and rickinator seem to do somekind of dance!!

rickinator9
05-27-2013, 17:42
While in the north and south there are clear frontiers, in the centre stranger and rickinator seem to do somekind of dance!!
Stranger sure is strange...

He went North then? If he did that, then Miletos should be fairly badly defended.

The Stranger
05-28-2013, 15:21
IF you surrender now I promise you no harm will come to you and your men, otherwise I can promise only death and shattered shields. And trust me, the bronze shield of the mighty Greek does not shatter easily, so make no mistake as to who will be dead and vanquished at the end when the battle is done and the sky mimics the red earth and will weep tears for the fallen.

The Stranger
05-28-2013, 16:29
http://pelagios.dme.ait.ac.at/maps/greco-roman/ seems to be offline, but this one is good too: http://www.hipkiss.org/data/maps/j-m-dent-and-sons_atlas-of-ancient-and-classical-geography_1912_asia-minor_3296_2114_600.jpg

btw i assume we are using the ancient shoreline as depicted on this map: http://www.hipkiss.org/data/maps/j-m-dent-and-sons_atlas-of-ancient-and-classical-geography_1912_asia-minor_3296_2114_600.jpg

because i noticed the other map (which is much more useful, i agree) has the modern shorelines.

King Kurt
05-28-2013, 19:15
Now it is complete.

KK, how do you want to bring death to Persians if you hide behind your walls?

!

As per normal, I am lulling them into false sense of security. These effeminate Persians will soon tire of the hot dusty plains of the Hellespont and skulk home to their fancy clothes and sweetmeats. For now, we watch and wait to see if they have the courage to face Greek blades.

rickinator9
05-28-2013, 21:26
IF you surrender now I promise you no harm will come to you and your men, otherwise I can promise only death and shattered shields. And trust me, the bronze shield of the mighty Greek does not shatter easily, so make no mistake as to who will be dead and vanquished at the end when the battle is done and the sky mimics the red earth and will weep tears for the fallen.

Someone is feeling the pressure!

The Stranger
05-28-2013, 23:02
but we all agree on the shoreline/map issue?

rickinator9
05-28-2013, 23:32
but we all agree on the shoreline/map issue?

I don't see much of a difference between the shorelines. Please elaborate.

The Stranger
05-28-2013, 23:35
i mean mostly this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Miletus_Bay_silting_evolution_map-en.svg

The Stranger
05-29-2013, 15:03
when is the next deadline?

Arjos
05-29-2013, 17:22
Soon as we have sent orders? :P

Franconicus
05-30-2013, 14:50
I already received one order. Is it possible to get the rest this weekend, or are there any tests ahead?
Orders should cover the next three months.

King Kurt
05-31-2013, 08:02
I should have mine in on Monday

Franconicus
05-31-2013, 10:18
For those of you who want to blitz:

Marching distance

Normal marching distance is 22 km per day, with recreation every 3rd or 4rth day.
Maximum speed is 80km for cavalry and 50km for infantry. This can only be done one single day under good conditions.
For two days the maximum is 100km for cavalry and 70km for infantry.

Larger formation (10,000 and more) may only move 30 km per day.

Of course, travelling by ship may be faster:
Average speed, taken from Xenophon, is about 8 knots over a 236 km distance. Taking "a long day's voyage", that is 16 to 18 hours, counting a midday meal.
Thoukydides records also a non-stop 340 km voyage, in little over a day. But this would tire the men incredibly and they wouldn't be battle-ready.

More about the ships:
Naval warfare is based on the triremes, a ship type well-known for all parties.

The triremes is fast and high maneuverable. However, it is not built to withstand storms and its capacity to carry troops or goods is limited.

Standard crews consist 200 men, including 170 rowers and between 18 marines. Vessels can also carry horses. The more it carries, the slower the ship gets and the more likely it is to sink.

Ships from Athens usually carry 14 hoplites and 4 archers. Persians usually have 40 marines.
Admirals from Athens try to out-maneuver their enemies and sink them by ramming while ships from other regions – Persia or Sparta – prefer to fight with the infantry.

Triremes can also be used as transports, and then they have only 60 rowers. Then they are able to transport up to 100 soldiers.

So a fleet of 200 triremes with 40 soldiers on board of each ship can transport 8,000 soldiers.

The triremes carry food and water for one day. Then they have to stop and get new supply. They also have to look for shelter if there is a storm coming. If a triremes stays in the water for several day, it becomes slow. So it is reasonable to carry them on the beach each night.

For these reasons, campaigns on sea depend strongly on bases, where the ships can find shelter and supply.

The Stranger
05-31-2013, 12:18
thanks!

i want to put forward a motion, since the game is now picking up some pace and things start to get going, can we go to 1 month turns? 3 months is way too much to plan ahead for. the nature of this game i think it will be more fun if the turns were shorter so you can better react to what the other is doing. i have no problem with turning in orders at a bit faster rate if thats neccesary.

does anyone (dis)agree?

rickinator9
05-31-2013, 13:36
I agree. 3 months is just too much time. Basil II would move his army from Constantinople to Antioch in 16 days, so even a month might be too much

Greyblades
05-31-2013, 13:41
It is becoming problematic trying to predict what the situation will be in 3 months time. I agree.

The Stranger
05-31-2013, 14:05
since ricki and i are online at the same time often, and quite often online :P it would also be awesome if we could play our battle out in "real time" with the host present ofcourse. I think there would be less dancing around then :D

Franconicus
05-31-2013, 17:40
Let's say you plan for one moment and have to replan as soon as you cross the enemies path.

Arjos
05-31-2013, 18:14
Those inter-chapter battle PMs, with interactive options, could be a nice way to tackle this, sure :)

As for the one month periods, I have no issue with it, so long as everyone can keep up with the fast pace...

Franconicus
06-03-2013, 08:57
Now I got Arjos and TS. Where is the rest?

Franconicus
06-06-2013, 10:04
Only King Kurt is missing!

King Kurt
06-07-2013, 22:35
Only King Kurt is missing!

Sorry! Will send soon

King Kurt
06-10-2013, 09:58
My orders are in.
Happy Birthday for yesterday Franc!! Consider my orders an early present!

The Stranger
06-10-2013, 10:50
I now dub you, the Late King Kurt of the Hellespont Crossing.

Franconicus
06-10-2013, 16:58
My orders are in.
Happy Birthday for yesterday Franc!! Consider my orders an early present!

:bow:
thank you!

Franconicus
06-10-2013, 16:58
Beginning of April 25 - First five days

- Northern Theatre - Battle of Abydos

Ottanes offers Themistocles to surrender. There is no reply, but the Persians can see that most of the Ionian ships leave the harbor. Finally Ottanes decides to assault the city. However, bunches of light infantry try to attack the rearguards of the Persians and Ottanes has to use his cavalry to defeat them. Then, at the fourth day, the main battle begins. The Persian army forms eight forces of 1.000 sparabara, 1.000 takabara, 375 archers and 125 cavalry, keeping the cavalry as reserve. The forces approach the city walls from different directions and try to climb them with their ladders. The defenders man the walls. The god of war seems to be uncertain which side will receive the price for victory and obviously he needs more blood to decide.

The invaders attack with rams, ladders and arrows, the defenders reply with rocks and javelins. At the western gate, the Persians manage to reach the top of the walls. The defense begins to shake, but Themistocles arrives in time with some reinforcements. There is a brutal close combat on the walls. Just when it seems that the Ionian can drive the Persians from the walls, all over sudden the doors of the gate break and Persian spabaras penetrate. Themistocles calls hoplites to form a new human barricade.
While the battle rages high in the west, another hot spot is the southern gate, where the Persians are commanded by Ottanes himself. Although the Persians suffer severe casualties, they reach the top of the walls and soon one of the towers burns. Themistocles' attention is caught by the fighting at the western gate, where he can finally push back the Persians and build barricades to close the gate. When he realizes the critical situation in the south, masses of Persians stream into the city. Themistocles is forces to call back his troops from the walls. Most of them reach the second line of defense, which includes the Acropolis and the harbor. Night falls and Ottanes decides to wait for the morning to continue the battle.

Themistocles talks to his men and tries to encourage them. With only five ships in the harbor, he tells them, there is no way to retreat. He also sends citizens to the Persians for peace negotiations. Around midnight, Themistocles sees that his men gained there fighting spirit back and he decides to set all on one card, a surprise attack.

So shortly after the middle of the night, the Ionian troops are gathering silently near the west and the south gate. Then after a signal, they begin to assault the night guards of the Persians. They attack in silence and Thermistocles wonders what is going on. Then he hears a signal horn in the west and shortly after this another tune in the south: the gates are secured again. Light troops attack the Persians which are still on the walls

Encouraged by this initial success, the Ionians try to assault the camp of their enemies and to kill Ottanes himself. They reach the camp and in the darkness of the night, a close combat takes place. Although the Ionian wear white signs for identification, more than once friends are killing friends accidentally. The fighting goes forwards and backwards, Themistocles now in the middle of his men, trying to find his opponent. However, the Persian prince cannot be found. With the first light of the day, Persian cavalry appears and decides the battle. The Ionian hurry back into the city walls, preparing for a longer besiege.

During the same night another Persian force under Ottanes himself occupies Dardanus.

- Central Theatre - Battle of Priene:

Daurises leaves a small garrison at Ephesus and makes his army march to the sea, where it follows the coast to Marathesion, where it camps for the night. Next day the Persians leave the coast and turn to Malandros, which they reach in the afternoon. On the morning of the third day, Daurises' army marches southeast towards Priene to unite his army with the Carian force. In the afternoon, when the vanguard reaches Priene, the Carians already left the place. Daurises decides to camp in the city, while patrols try to find the Carian army. On the fourth day, his patrols report that the Carians are near the Panionium, the Ionian sanctuary dedicated to Poseidon. It is placed on Mount Mycone, 750 meters above the sea, an ideal place from where one can watch all sides of the Mycone peninsula. The Carian army itself, 10,000 men in total, block the path that leads to the sanctuary. It is obvious that the Carians are not willing to join the Persian forces.

Daurises calls his 20,000 men to arms and soon his army is ready to decamp. Before he gives the signal to leave, a messenger from the garrison of Ephesus arrives:

"Noble strategos, the commander of your troops at Ephesos sends me. I have to report that at the evening of the second day after your departure a fleet of about 200 triremes appeared at the beach between Colophon and Ephesus and an Ionian army debarked. The enemy is about 15,000 soldiers strong, mainly hoplites. The commander of Ephesus expects the enemy to attack Ephesus next morning."

Daurises decides to clear the situation at Ephesos before he deals with Caria. The Persian army decamps immediately, marching back the route it came the day before. Only a strong rear guard is left behind to make sure that the Carians will not be able to disturb the Persian movement.

The columns are marching along a strip of beach between the ocean and the mountains, which smoothly grow at the northern side. Sometime they come as close as about 1 km to the sea, sometimes they leave deep valley.
After two and a half hour scouts report that there is a strong army right in front of the marching columns. Daurises rides to the front and sees that there are about 10,000 Ionian soldiers on the beach. It is obvious that they landed not long ago, as there are still the ships in the bay. There is no doubt that these are enemy. Finally the Persians will be able to fight them.
Daurises gives his men orders to take formation. He gives instructions to the commanders of the divisions and then he makes a speech to his men. Before the battle begins he receives the message that the rear guard is involved in combat with the Carians.
In the meantime, Aristogoras also notices the Persians. His men landed just a couple of hours ago and are now scarifying the God of the Ocean. Like his opponent, Aristogoras is eager for combat. He quickly calls his troops to arms. He deploys 9,000 hoplites in ranks of 8 men deep at a narrow place between the mountains and the sea. In their rear and at the flanks there are 400 archers, 300 slingers and 300 javelins. A reserve of 1,000 Miletesian hoplites under direct command of Aristogoras stays behind. Waiting for the enemy to open battle, Aristogoras held a speech:

Raise your spears, raise your shields, rise so no Greek may ever feel the Persian whip again! Sons of Greece, of Olympus, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of the Greeks fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when Zeus’ wrath descends upon the sons of our sons and the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! And if they ever tell my story, let them say I fought alongside giants. Men rise and fall like winter wheat, but your names will never die.

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you fight, sons of Greece! For freedom! To death and ruin or victory and glory!!!

Finally, the sun is almost on top, the battle begins. The Persian infantry is approaching with 5,500 heavy infantry and 5,500 archers. The Ionian hoplites are standing still and wait for their opponents. The light troops open hostilities. Showers of arrows come down to the lines of the Ionians while the sparabaras begin awfully to howl. Aristogoras is getting uneasy. From his position, he is not able to see what is going on. But at least he sees that his men are still holding the position.
The Persian archers keep on peppering the Ionian formation and cause some disorder. Finally, the sparabaras begin to advance slowly. The hoplites begin to move also to decrease the distance to the enemy and to get out of the arrow fire. Soon the two battle line clash against each others. At the same time, the Persian cavalry appears from the hang of the next hill and storms against the right wing of the Ionians. Aristogoras sees this threat and leads his reserve to the right flank to fight this danger. 4,000 Persian horsemen rapidly blow away the slingers and javelins which should cover the Ionian flank and throw their javelins into the ranks of the hoplites. Attacked by the heavy infantry frontal and peppered by Persian cavalry by side and rear, the Ionian hoplites begin to give up their formation. First hoplites throw away their shields and try to leave the battlefield. Aristogoras makes his men run, although this is very exhausting with the heavy arms in the midday heat. But he knows there is no time to waste.
The Persian cavalry chases the retreating hoplites, but it stops when it sees the new force approaching. The Persians through more javelin to the Ionian reserve - Daurises himself, who leads the cavalry charge - throws a javelin against Aristogoras, but then the riders turn around and disappear in the mountains. Aristogoras follows them some hundred meters to the top of a hill, then he makes his men rest and uses the high viewing point to see what is going on at the other side of the battle ground.
He notices that the Ionian hoplites got upper hand against the sparabaras. His men are slowly advancing, pushing the enemy step by step backwards. The Persian archers are not able to interfere in this close combat. Finally, the sparabaras loose their nerves and run away. The hoplites follow them as fast as possible, but the lighter armed Persians are faster and soon there is enough distance between the combatants for the archers to open fire again. For a moment, this stops the advance of the Ionians, but then they begin to run as far as they can to overrun the retreating sparabaras and the archers. Aristogoras is satisfied. If his men drive the Persians to the Carians, the battle will be an outstanding triumph. While chasing the Persians, the Ionian order is getting less dense and at some places, it disbands completely. Then, however, the fate of war seems to turn. All over sudden, 4,000 takabaras storm out of a mountain valley straight into the already weakened left flank of the Ionians. They penetrate the rows of the hoplites and now they fight in close combat. Aristogoras cries from anger. He and his men are far behind the fighting. Once again he has to make his men run, but it seems as if it is far too late as he passes bunches of hoplites, who threw away their lances and shields. Aristogoras makes his men stop and closing ranks. They turn their lances against the fleeing comrades, driving them back against the Persians. While the right wing of the Ionians is dissolving, the left wing is still driving Persians away. So as a result of this, the Ionian battle formation as a whole turns to the left, and the left wing is now marching against the takabaras.
While Aristogoras finally reaches the combat zone, the sparabaras gather again and return to the battle again. With them are the archers and the rest of the Persian cavalry. Additionally, it seems as if the Persians receive also reinforcements. Several thousand light and heavy infantry men join the Persian force and Daurises hurries them to concentrate against the Ionian right wing. The men of Aristogoras are already weakened and in disorder. Many of them lost spears and shields and are fighting now with their swords. The blows of the swords on the armors sound like braziers at work. In the end, the Ionians cannot stop the assault of the Persians. Arisotgoras gathers his men around him for a last stand and prays for night or Carian to come.
Obviously, a merciful god heard that prayer and sends the Carians just at that moment. Thousand hoplites approach the battleground. They are running as fast as a well armed hoplite can run and although this is still rather slow, it is fast enough to make the Persians run. Not waiting for any new orders, the Persian army hurries towards Malandros while the Carians join the rest of Aritogoras' force. Night falls when Arisotgoras and Daurises count the casualties.

Franconicus
06-11-2013, 18:06
So if anybody wants to give precise orders (esp. Arjos, KK, rickinator9 and TS), do it until Wednesday evening.

Franconicus
06-14-2013, 19:18
Do I get more from rickinator and King Kurt?

King Kurt
06-15-2013, 09:07
Working on mine at the moment orders soon

Franconicus
06-15-2013, 15:35
Those British (sigh) - always have to stop battle for teatime.

Greyblades
06-15-2013, 15:43
"These English are a strange people. They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed all the garrison, and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

The Stranger
06-17-2013, 22:14
trololololololololololololololoololololololololoololoolololololololololololololollolollololololololo lololololololololoooo

Franconicus
06-22-2013, 17:20
I promise to make an update at least on Friday with the results of two battles. So stay tuned!!

The Stranger
06-22-2013, 22:46
omg cant wait that long, ricki tell me your adress, well solve this with single combat.

Franconicus
06-23-2013, 10:24
Current adress of Ricki: Priene, Beachside

Franconicus
06-24-2013, 14:30
Updated post #112

The Stranger
06-24-2013, 17:01
=_= wth happened to the rest of my army? in the write up you didnt seem to account for all of them.

i dont want to seem ungrateful, im happy you are putting so much effort into the game, but it seems to me there is no way this result could have followed from my orders

King Kurt
06-24-2013, 22:36
Great update Franc. For my own part, I believe the expression is "He who dares, wins!"

Who knows what the future will bring for my gallant Greeks - but at least we have done better than history with each town falling in a day. Bring on the Persians -who dies next!

FoxLeLay
06-24-2013, 23:59
Any space in this game for me?

rickinator9
06-25-2013, 00:30
Any space in this game for me?

Perhaps. Declare for Parsa or die!

FoxLeLay
06-25-2013, 01:09
Perhaps. Declare for Parsa or die!

I'll go with whoever!

Arjos
06-25-2013, 11:48
Ahahahhaha I'm imagining already a 40 pages order sent by The Stranger XDDDDDDD

BTW Franc, can we go ahead and send new orders? Maybe once Fox will have a position?

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 14:52
i havent got a personal debriefing yet of how the battle went, losses, casualties etc. and tbh i would like a "second opinion" on that result of the battle because it seems to me that this result could never have happened, not by my orders imo, and also not by the write up itself which has atleast 2 things that dont seem to add up :S

and my orders was only 20 pages this turn =_= serves me right i suppose, next time i will write 100 just to be sure.

Arjos
06-25-2013, 16:34
next time i will write 100 just to be sure.

Doesn't work that way XD
Anyway enough off-topic, die Aristagoras! :P

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 16:39
well, how does it work then? If sorcery was allowed, maybe I should have been told because what happened was nothing short of pure magic. For example, how is it possible that Ricki received reinforcements before I did while he was miles deep in enemy territory and surrounded and trapped on all sides on a bloody PENINSULA with just 1 entrance. And if that was not enough Houdini, he also managed to escape through enemy lines again, off the peninsula...

Maybe it is just me being crazy, but I find that odd.

Arjos
06-25-2013, 16:55
how is it possible that Ricki received reinforcements

By reading it seemed to me, those Takabara were actually left there hidden. When the Persians retreated, the pursuing Greeks were ambushed by those men, that before would have been way back hidden in reserve...

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 16:59
yes the 4000, i dont mean them. somewhere later it says that the persians received thousands of reinforcements

Additionally, it seems as if the Persians receive also reinforcements. Several thousand light and heavy infantry men join the Persian force and Daurises hurries them to concentrate against the Ionian right wing

Arjos
06-25-2013, 17:04
Well TS, you guys hold a bunch of cities on the coast. And seems like you gathered all the men in a single army, so the countryside is completely undefended. While the hinterland is all part of the Persian Empire, the Carians were coming by a southern road, if I understood correctly, so that leaves the East wide open...
Anyway I know as much as you do :D

rickinator9
06-25-2013, 17:08
well, how does it work then? If sorcery was allowed, maybe I should have been told because what happened was nothing short of pure magic. For example, how is it possible that Ricki received reinforcements before I did while he was miles deep in enemy territory and surrounded and trapped on all sides on a bloody PENINSULA with just 1 entrance. And if that was not enough Houdini, he also managed to escape through enemy lines again, off the peninsula...

Maybe it is just me being crazy, but I find that odd.
Daurises is a sorcerer. I was never on any kind of peninsula. Perhaps you're to influenced by your incense, you decadent greek. Your decadence clearly blinds you, as I hid those Takabara among your own men!

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 17:10
cities were city states, you know that as well as i do, they would also own the surrounding, the area where we are is allied to me and his supply lines are cut. but regardless of that, i had all the passages into the peninsula cut off, atleast for something as big as an army of a few thousand.
Ricky, you should check the map, and read the write up, you are on a peninsula...

Arjos
06-25-2013, 17:39
Although Polis (City-State) actually is more about its political autosufficiency, they did possess surrounding land (and in Ionia, in a very limited quantity). But my point was that if the Hoplitai are outside fighting, no one but slaves, women, old and youths are roaming about. Not to mention that in case of war they'd be holed inside the walls of the Polis. So seems to me the countryside is pretty open and I don't see how anyone could block any movement (in the 5th cent too!)...

As for protecting passages, Leonidas posted Phocians and they didn't do anything. For all we know your men said "No thank you" and left :P

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 18:04
the peninsula is not even 10km wide across, i have my armies occyuping the highland and the road which leads from the mainland, along the coast, to priene, where ricki was. i just do not see how thousands of soldiers could have passed me unnoticed through a narrow strip of land while i control the highground and can see pretty much anything on both sides of the pensinsula.

also, even if this army could have reached him from somewhere outside the peninsula, it still is a mystery to me how he could have reached the battle before my reinforcements who were closer...

(the situation of the 300 is not comparable to this one, they were outnumber by 1 to godknowshowmany, while i had a numerical advantage or atleast numerical equality, not to mention that the quality of my troops is superior and they should be able to fight odds of 1-2 or even 1-5 as history has shown.)

Arjos
06-25-2013, 18:30
(the situation of the 300 is not comparable to this one, they were outnumber by 1 to godknowshowmany, while i had a numerical advantage or atleast numerical equality, not to mention that the quality of my troops is superior and they should be able to fight odds of 1-2 or even 1-5 as history has shown.)

I was speaking of your "i had all the passages into the peninsula cut off, atleast for something as big as an army of a few thousand.", which I have no idea how many were involved and was comparing it to a specifing contingent sent to hold a pass, not Thermopylai.
BTW I didn't read for those reinforcements to enter the peninsula, just that in the aftermath of the battle, they were able to join...

As for the "not even 10 km wide", 15.000 men, 8 deep occupy something like 1.875 m x 800 m: how you plan for them to hold the rest I do not know...

Anyway all these talks are futile lol
Deal with what happened XD

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 18:48
just check the map... there is a huge mountain in the middle, i dont have to have a men on every inch of soil to control a positon or area.

im not gonna accept what happened since my orders got ignored and alot of other stuff just doesnt add up. im sorry if i come across ungrateful or if i am being annoying but imo just too much just seems wrong or is otherwise not properly explained in the writeup. perhaps im missing some crucial bit of info, that is ofcourse possible.

Arjos
06-25-2013, 18:59
Ehm, the "huge mountain" is mostly this:

http://www.livius.org/a/turkey/mycale/mycale1.JPG

I know the Netherlands are something else, but my house has a steeper garage way :P

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 19:15
what is your point, you are going to claim that if i am on top of the mountain with an army that he can sneak by his own army without me noticing or being in a position to attack him? cmon...

Arjos
06-25-2013, 19:20
Now you are mad about that? First it was the coming of reinforcements and I posted the picture to show there's plenty of space to walk over...
Wherever you were, he got there and you two met on the field. You pushed him back and his reverses cut down the pursuers. And in that chaos some other soldiers got there and marched to him...

You saying with "sneak by his own army without me noticing or being in a position to attack him?" that your smaller detachments should've been capable of attacking thousands incoming reinforcements, descending from a hill and cut them all down? While there was a battle going on/it was almost over and most of their comrades tossed down their equipment and were running away?
Or what are you implying here?

I honestly have no idea what you are raging about, except raging for its own sake ^^

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 19:25
no what i am talking about is that he supposedly can have reinforcements from point C reach the battle, which is at point A, before my reinforcments which are at point B1 and B2. Why am i mad about this, because 1) my reinforcements from B1 and B2 were closer to the fighting than his were, wherever they came from. 2) His reinforcements were blocked by my reinforcements from B2, which held the mountain range which he would have had to pass over, because if he took the road he would have attacked my troops in the rear, and no such thing was mentioned. 3) My reinforcements at B2 which he supposedly not only outmarched, but also outwitted because he passed them by without being noticed, didnt even reach the fight, for some weird unmentioned reason...

and im not talking about a small detachment, im talking about 4k soldiers which is 20% of rickis army...

and thats actually the least part of it.

Arjos
06-25-2013, 19:35
That's his men, are they supposed to stop themselves to do you a favour? I'm talking about your however large "i had all the passages into the peninsula cut off, atleast for something as big as an army of a few thousand." people...

By your reinforcements, I assume you are speaking of the Carians. If that's so by the write-up a large rearguard was sent to harass them.
Also if your plan of winning is for NPC men to do most of the job, that is just not going to happen...

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 19:40
no my men, i had a contingent of 4k soldiers on the mountain which did not enter the fight and apparantly let reinforments past to join the fight and then again let rickis fleeing soldiers pass again when they left the fight.

i do not mean the carians, as i tried to make clear with B1 and B2, i had reinforcements on 2 positions. the carians were just there as bait.

besides if my orders were followed, none of this would even be relevant.

FoxLeLay
06-25-2013, 19:46
New game! (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?144550-The-Time-of-the-Modern-Knights-The-Masters-of-the-Land)

Lets take a break from the argument for a second. Would any of you fellows be up for a game like this, I need more sign ups :)!

The Stranger
06-25-2013, 19:47
New game! (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?144550-The-Time-of-the-Modern-Knights-The-Masters-of-the-Land)

Lets take a break from the argument for a second. Would any of you fellows be up for a game like this, I need more sign ups :)!

i dont have time to play 2 games at the same moment :S sorry

Franconicus
06-26-2013, 07:47
I will send you figures of casualties on Thursday. Then you can think about new orders.

I will discuss the results with Aristogoras.

FoxLeLay, I will think about it. Maybe I got a job for you.

Franconicus
06-27-2013, 10:31
Due to a protest I have to annulate the Central Theatre Battle and recalculate it.

Sorry for that, it was my mistake.

Franconicus
06-27-2013, 14:16
- Central Theatre - Battle of Priene:

Daurises leaves a small garrison at Ephesus and makes his army march to the sea, where it follows the coast to Marathesion, where it camps for the night. Next day the Persians leave the coast and turn to Malandros, which they reach in the afternoon. On the morning of the third day, Daurises' army marches southeast towards Priene to unite his army with the Carian force. In the afternoon, when the vanguard reaches Priene, the Carians already left the place. Daurises decides to camp in the city, while patrols try to find the Carian army. On the fourth day, his patrols report that the Carians are near the Panionium, the Ionian sanctuary dedicated to Poseidon. It is placed on Mount Mycone, 750 meters above the sea, an ideal place from where one can watch all sides of the Mycone peninsula. The Carian army itself, 10,000 men in total, block the path that leads to the sanctuary. It is obvious that the Carians are not willing to join the Persian forces.
Daurises calls his men to arms and soon his army is ready to decamp. Before he gives the signal to leave, a messenger from the garrison of Ephesus arrives:
"Noble strategos, the commander of your troops at Ephesos sends me. I have to report that at the evening of the second day after your departure a fleet of about 200 triremes appeared at the beach between Colophon and Ephesus and an Ionian army debarked. The enemy is about 15,000 soldiers strong, mainly hoplites. The commander of Ephesus expects the enemy to attack Ephesus next morning."
Daurises decides to clear the situation at Ephesos before he deals with Caria. The Persian army decamps immediately, marching back the route it came the day before. Only a strong rear guard is left behind to make sure that the Carians will not be able to disturb the Persian movement.
The columns are marching along a strip of beach between the ocean and the mountains, which smoothly grow at the northern side. Sometime they come as close as about 1 km to the sea, sometimes they leave deep valley.

After two and a half hour scouts report that there is a strong army right in front of the marching columns. Daurises rides to the front and sees that there are about 10,000 Ionian soldiers on the beach. It is obvious that they landed not long ago, as there are still the ships in the bay. There is no doubt that these are enemy. Finally the Persians will be able to fight them.

Daurises gives his men orders to take formation. He gives instructions to the commanders of the divisions and then he makes a speech to his men. Before the battle begins he receives the message that the rear guard is involved in combat with the Carians.

In the meantime, Aristogoras also notices the Persians. His men landed just a couple of hours ago and are now scarifying the God of the Ocean. Like his opponent, Aristogoras is eager for combat. He quickly calls his troops to arms. He deploys 9,000 hoplites in ranks of 8 men deep at a narrow place between the mountains and the sea. In their rear and at the flanks there are 400 archers, 300 slingers and 300 javelins. A reserve of 1,000 Miletesian hoplites under direct
command of Aristogoras stays behind.

Waiting for the enemy to open battle, Aristogoras held a speech:
Raise your spears, raise your shields, rise so no Greek may ever feel the Persian whip again! Sons of Greece, of Olympus, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of the Greeks fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when Zeus’ wrath descends upon the sons of our sons and the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! And if they ever tell my story, let them say I fought alongside giants. Men rise and fall like winter wheat, but your names will never die.

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you fight, sons of Greece! For freedom! To death and ruin or victory and glory!!!

Finally, the sun is almost on top, the battle begins. The Persian infantry is approaching with almost 10,000 men, heavy infantry and archers. The Ionian hoplites are standing still, waiting for their opponents. The light troops open hostilities. Showers of arrows come down to the lines of the Ionians while the sparabaras begin awfully to howl. Aristogoras is getting uneasy. From his position, he is not able to see what is going on. But at least he sees that his men are still holding the position.

The Persian archers keep on peppering the Ionian formation and soon the first hoplites fell wounded or dead. This causes some disorder in the ranks. Finally, the sparabaras begin to advance slowly. The hoplites begin to move also to decrease the distance to the enemy and to get out of the arrow fire. Soon the two battle line clash against each others. At the same time, the Persian cavalry appears from the hang of the next hill and storms against the right wing of the Ionians and the back of the frontline. Aristogoras sees this threat and leads his reserve to the right flank to fight this danger. 3,000 Persian horsemen rapidly blow away the slingers and javelins which should cover the Ionian flank and throw their javelins into the ranks of the hoplites. Attacked by the heavy infantry frontal and peppered by Persian cavalry by side and rear, the Ionian hoplites begin to give up their formation. First hoplites throw away their shields and try to leave the battlefield. Aristogoras makes his men run, although this is very exhausting with the heavy arms in the midday heat. He knows there is no time to waste but 500 Persian riders attack him and his men and force him into a defensive formation again. Caught in a shower of javelins he sees that his right wing dissolves, but that his left wing and the centre wins upper hand.

All over sudden, the Persian cavalry stops the assault, turns around and disappears in the hills.
Aristogoras climbs on top of the next hill to see what is going on. He notices that the sparabaras are retreating. The Ionian left wing is advancing, the centre is holding the fort and the right wing is still in disorder. Aristogoras realizes that his men repelled a assault of about two third of the enemies army. Nevertheless, the threat is not over and he sends messengers to the left wing and the centre to stand at the original line. He himself goes to the right wing to reinstall order here.
The Ionian lines are still under constant attacks from the Persian archers and casualties are increasing. Yet, Aristogoras holds his men back. His own light troops are answering, but the superiority of the Persian archers in overwhelming.

After about an hour after the first assault, Ionian reinforcements arrive from the mountains. For a moment Aristogoras wonders if it is time to drive the archers away, but then he decides to order the reinforcements to hide in the hills and so to strengthen his right wing.

Soon after this, the Persians try another one assault. The tactic is very similar to the first, archers and sparabaras are trying to assault the Ionians frontal. Once again Persian cavalry appears in the hills, this time supported by thousands of takabaras and archers.

However, the sparabaras attack is only halfhearted, they stop several yards in front of the tips of the Ionian lances while the archers are still shooting at the hoplites. Once again the main strike comes from the hills. The hoplites there, almost 4,000 men under the command of an Athenian strategos, find themselves attacked by 4,000 riders, 7,000 takabaras and 500 archers, led by Dareios himself. The Athenian commander does not have enough men to cover the complete line, so he tries to concentrate his men in a dense formation, which is soon surrounded and peppered from all sides. Fortunately for the defenders, Aristogoras leads the reserve once again to the threatened right flank. The Persians are not getting into the range of the lances, but the hoplites are under constant missile and arrow fire from all sides. Also the main line of the Ionian, being under a permanent shower of arrows and seeing the threat at the flank is getting more and more uneasy. Nevertheless, they hold the fort.

Aristogoras observes that Persian cavalry is bypassing his position to get into the rear of the main line. He sends a messenger to tell the commanders there to reduce the ranks to 6 and to use the spared men to repel the threat from behind. Then he calls the Athenian commander to retreat slowly. At this time, the takabaras begins to take their swords and to assault. The Persians which attack frontal are killed rapidly, but others come from the right side and the rear and break through the line of the hoplites. There, in close combat, the Ionianas cannot use their lances any longer.

While Aristogoras and the Athenian commander are fighting for their lives, the main line of the Ionian could repel the Persians in their rear. While those are running back into the hills, a signal horn tells the combatants that the Carian army is close. The main line of the Ionian advances and drives the Persian sparabaras backwards. As the right wing is still pinned down by the Persians, the advance turns into a turning maneuver, where the right wing is the axle. The Persians give up the fight and when the Carians appear on the battleground, all there is left to do is to kill the wounded Persian soldiers and to follow the dispersed Persian forces into the mountains.

The Stranger
06-27-2013, 14:31
not the victory i had hoped for :P but it is more like it than the first result

thanks Franc, for being understanding and taking the time to listen to my ranting. I hope i did not annoy you too much.

Franconicus
06-27-2013, 14:54
Your welcome - it was all my fault. (Well calling me an American was a bit crued ...)

Does anybody mind if we introduce a new Persian player?

The Stranger
06-27-2013, 14:57
i dont mind, just not in my backyard :P

FoxLeLay
06-27-2013, 16:25
Someone is going to have to bring me up to speed in regards to what is going on though!

rickinator9
06-27-2013, 22:52
Time travelers! Cheaters!

Kind of odd that all the flanking maneuvers didn't work as well as I thought.

FoxLeLay
06-28-2013, 02:32
I be on a trip for the next 6 or 7 days, so PM me with any info and I'll read it when I return!

rickinator9
06-28-2013, 23:19
The hoplites there, almost 4,000 men under the command of an Athenian strategos, find themselves attacked by 4,000 riders, 7,000 takabaras and 500 archers, led by Dareios himself.

I salute you, Shahanshah

Franconicus
07-01-2013, 14:30
Alright, everyone has everything. So deadline on Sunday?

The Stranger
07-01-2013, 16:05
fine with me, might late on sunday tho :P

The Stranger
07-06-2013, 16:15
in fact, might be so late on sunday, that it is technically monday... evening... SORRY

rickinator9
07-10-2013, 14:48
What's the status?

The Stranger
07-12-2013, 11:28

FoxLeLay
07-16-2013, 01:34
Sorry, I been on vacation :(. Can I send my orders in next turn?

Franconicus
07-16-2013, 07:12
I was waiting for GB and Fox; I think they do not want to act this move. Alright, I will right the next chap as soon as I got some details cleared with TS.

Greyblades
07-17-2013, 00:46
I was waiting for GB and Fox; I think they do not want to act this move. Alright, I will right the next chap as soon as I got some details cleared with TS.

Well until about a day ago I thought my teammates had sorted it when I went on vacation.

Well I'm a lazy git and all I got is make more defenses so I think I will save giving in my strategy until I need it, would be a pain to write it out and it turn out the Persians aren't even going to let me use it.

rickinator9
07-17-2013, 14:47
Sorry, I been on vacation :(. Can I send my orders in next turn?

Who will you declare for? It better be the Shahanshah, otherwise your head will end up on a spike along with the rest of the others.

Franconicus
07-17-2013, 18:14
Well until about a day ago I thought my teammates had sorted it when I went on vacation.

Well I'm a lazy git and all I got is make more defenses so I think I will save giving in my strategy until I need it, would be a pain to write it out and it turn out the Persians aren't even going to let me use it.

:stop:That, of course, would be a pitty. So let's have a cup of tea, first!:medievalcheers:

The Stranger
07-17-2013, 23:41
Who will you declare for? It better be the Shahanshah, otherwise your head will end up on a spike along with the rest of the others.

i thought i left you dead in a ditch... along with the rest of your army

rickinator9
07-18-2013, 00:31
i thought i left you dead in a ditch... along with the rest of your army

No. You will be dead in a ditch. Ready for another day of fighting?

Franconicus
07-18-2013, 09:42
Until Mid of April

Northern Theatre

The Persian prince-commander Utana leaves a small garrison at Dardanus and hurries back with the rest of his army to lead the assault of Abydos. There, Thermistocles used the time to fix the holes in his walls a good as possible.

When the complete Persian army deploys for the assault, the citizens of Abydos see that the hostile force is overwhelming. The ratio is 7 : 1 or even 10 : 1.

Obviously Utana lost his patience and drives his men against the enemy looking for a decision. Soon there is close combat on the walls and once again defenders have to retreat to the inner circle around the acropolis. Thermistocles gathers his last men around him, ready to fight until death or victory. However, the citizens of Abydos are not willing to die. Hundreds surrender and the position of the defenders is getting more and more critical. Then suddenly Thermistocles is surrounded by some Ionian noblemen which disarm and arrest him. Then they send a messenger to Utana to offer surrender. The northern theatre is now completely under control of the Persians.

Utana quickly reorganizes his army. Leaving garrisons at Abydos, Dardanus, Percote, Lampsacus and Paesus, he himself hurries southwards with the rest of his army. After marching two days through the hills, he receives a messenger from Percote calling him back: 14,000 Ionians landed on the beach between Percote and Lampsacus.

Central Theatre:

The Persian army under prince-commander Daurises, beaten and disorganized 12,000 men, retreat across the mountains. They are shadowed by a Greek army of about 10,000 men until they reach Malandros. The Persians do not make a break here but keep on moving northeastwards. The Greek army turns to northwest and one and a half day later reach Ephesos. The commander of the Ionian army, a strategos from Athens, has to find that the Persian garrison of the city had been able to defeat and kill the Ionian soldiers which had been left here to besiege the city. Motivated by the victory at Priene and looking for revenge for the killed comrades the Ionians assault Ephesos and kill all Persian defenders.

Southern Theatre:

No news from the southern front.

:balloon2::balloon:

The Stranger
07-18-2013, 11:13
1 question tho, how are these odds possible? the previous post stated the army was about 25k. and unless he lost like no (or very little) men in the process of the sieges, the sallies and the taking of the cities. but the write ups seemed to contradict that as well.

has he received reinforcements?

rickinator9
07-18-2013, 15:52
Central Theatre:

The Persian army under prince-commander Daurises, beaten and disorganized 12,000 men, retreat across the mountains. They are shadowed by a Greek army of about [B]10,000 men until they reach Malandros.

Is it just me or did the greek scum barely lose any men during the battle?

I also wonder who sent the mystery greek reinforcements. Does Fox really want his head on a spike?

Franconicus
07-18-2013, 17:48
Oh these mysteries of war!

The Stranger
07-18-2013, 18:50
Oh these mysteries of war!

im starting to think you do it on purpose

Arjos
07-19-2013, 09:19
You know I was certain up until now that I was fighting an NPC XD
I thought Kurt was across the Hellespontos and just landed.

You fought well Themistokles, I'll make sure to sent a good word on your behalf, to the beloved of Ahuramazda, King of Kings, Dārayavahuš. Whose fair judgment holds your life.

The Stranger
07-19-2013, 11:23
will kurt get a new character now? or is it gameover for him?

King Kurt
07-19-2013, 13:45
You fought well Themistokles, I'll make sure to sent a good word on your behalf, to the beloved of Ahuramazda, King of Kings, Dārayavahuš. Whose fair judgment holds your life.

Sire,

"I thank you for your kind words - you have have been an honourable and worthy foe. My men, as ever, have fought well and even now bind their wounds. As for myself, I wait and contemplate the future and take the opportunity to reflect on the treachery of the town's folk of Abydos. My men bleed to defend their freedom, yet, at the slightest reverse and threat to their cowardy skins, they betray us to the Persians. A wise man once said beware the treachery of the Greeks - now I see what he meant."

The Stranger
07-19-2013, 21:02
Kurt, the King who lost the North.

=_=

Franconicus
07-20-2013, 17:51
will kurt get a new character now? or is it gameover for him?

KK is still alive. Maybe his allies find a way to free him. :2thumbsup:

Of course if you do not see any way to free him, he could get a new role.

The Stranger
07-20-2013, 18:10

Of course if you do not see any way to free him, he could get a new role.

i meant the other question actually :P the one about the odds.

Franconicus
07-20-2013, 19:19
1 question tho, how are these odds possible? the previous post stated the army was about 25k. and unless he lost like no (or very little) men in the process of the sieges, the sallies and the taking of the cities. but the write ups seemed to contradict that as well.

has he received reinforcements?

I wanted to play with cards on the table, but the players wanted the FOG OF WAR.

The Stranger
07-20-2013, 19:51
I wanted to play with cards on the table, but the players wanted the FOG OF WAR.

well thats fine with me. i just didnt know that.

Arjos
07-22-2013, 09:37

Or he could repent his hostile actions against the Great King of Kings, swore him undying loyalty and come back with an army to wreak vengeance on the ungodly Hellenes ^^

King Kurt
07-22-2013, 22:31
Or he could repent his hostile actions against the Great King of Kings, swore him undying loyalty and come back with an army to wreak vengeance on the ungodly Hellenes ^^

Nice to see that the Persians need a good Greek to lead them to victory - no hope otherwise!

After all my tiny army held the 70,000 strong horde at bay for some time - even throwing out of the city when they thought they had won.

As for the 70,000 strong army of the Persians - that will be the strength in all the ballads and histories - never let the truth get in the way of a good song!

FoxLeLay
07-23-2013, 02:00
Who can I kill on this go around?

The Stranger
07-23-2013, 02:39
To make a better world, start with yourself.

Franconicus
07-25-2013, 09:01
Who can I kill on this go around?
Any questions?

Your move, gentlemen!

Greyblades
07-26-2013, 16:25
When's the next deadline?

Franconicus
07-28-2013, 13:30
if it is all right with Fox, maybe wednesday?

Arjos
07-29-2013, 12:19
if it is all right with Fox, maybe wednesday?

Has he picked a side?

That is should I welcome him as a brother or should I wish him death? :P

The Stranger
07-29-2013, 13:32
i thought it was already clear that franc assigned him to the persians.

FoxLeLay
07-30-2013, 04:13
To make a better world, start with yourself.

You're first :D!

Fine with me the deadline!

The Stranger
07-30-2013, 10:44
come at me bro!

Franconicus
07-30-2013, 20:12
Fox is a commander of a Persian army!

FoxLeLay
07-31-2013, 01:12
Time for a comeback....maybe :)?

I will get my orders in tomorrow!

Franconicus
08-02-2013, 08:36
I have orders from all of you, I just need more from FLL.
Rickinator, do you intend to send more?

rickinator9
08-02-2013, 17:00
Nah, those orders I sent some time ago is all I can do now...

Franconicus
08-05-2013, 13:37
Gentlemen, I need more details from FoxLeLay. Maybe some other Persians could help him, how detailed they should be.

Arjos
08-06-2013, 10:27
He hasn't discussed matters with us much either. Unless he shows up, I'm afraid what he sent will have to do...

FoxLeLay
08-07-2013, 01:19
I sent in updated stuff. :)

Franconicus
08-07-2013, 13:28
May

Northern Theatre
When Utana receives news about the Ionian landing at Perkote, he sends messages to all garrisons to prepare resistance and then hurries northwards to destroy the enemy. However, when he approaches the coast, the enemy is already gone. Utana sends patrols to search for the Ionians, but there is no sign of them. Only weeks later he receives a message that the enemy sailed back to Smyrna.

Central Theatre
The Ionian army gathers and resupplies near Smyrna, while the Persian army reorganizes at Sardis.

Southern Theatre
There is a Persian army gathering at Asia Minor. It is still waiting for enough transport ships. Triremes from Cyprus harasses the Persian sea routes and sink five triremes.

Greece
Sparta calls for a meeting of all Greek cities to discuss the situation at Asia.

A short and peaceful one this time. South is missing as I still need some info from Persia!!

Franconicus
08-12-2013, 16:43
I completed the last chapter.
Maybe you can give your orders until Satarday?

Just some comments:
Take a look at your naval combat drill books. It seems as if naval warfare is going to take a bigger part.

Arjos
08-15-2013, 09:58
BTW Smyrna at the time was a bunch of scattered villages. It had been razed to the ground during the Lydian expansion ;)

The Stranger
08-15-2013, 13:31
i invented prefab walls and built a mighty fortress that would shame Troy

Franconicus
08-17-2013, 10:08
So this is the reason why the Persians ordered this super gun called Big Bertha?

Two orders are already in (Persians).

The Stranger
08-17-2013, 18:39
i will be a bit delayed sorry. probably in tomorrow.

Franconicus
08-19-2013, 18:22
Orders from the third Persian commander are missing. If I get them tomorrow, I will try to set up the next chapter before I go on holiday for three weeks.

The Stranger
08-20-2013, 11:40
Orders from the third Persian commander are missing. If I get them tomorrow, I will try to set up the next chapter before I go on holiday for three weeks.

:O if he doesnt send it, cant u set up the chapter like u did last time? :D i want to move on with my planning and plotting. My engineers almost invented the atom bomb that only kills the atoms of persians.

Franconicus
08-23-2013, 17:28
Ceasefire for the next two weeks - I am off for holidays!!

The Stranger
08-29-2013, 14:41
are u enjoying ur holidays? :P

Arjos
09-13-2013, 12:09
Run and hide for the armies of Pârsa are coming!

https://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4426/inmortalesinfanterapers.jpg

Franconicus
09-13-2013, 15:35
I am back from my holiday trip (three weeks on a trireme in eastern med)!!

rickinator9
09-23-2013, 16:14
What's the holdup?

Franconicus
09-30-2013, 17:34
I have some personal trouble, which stops me from going on with the story. Sorry for that.

I will update it on Monaday, I promise!!

Arjos
09-30-2013, 20:01
Don't worry! I wish you good luck and a quick solution to your predicament ^^

Franconicus
10-07-2013, 17:07
June 25th

Northern Theatre

After the great victory in the north, the army of the Persian General Utana is marching southwards along the coast. Without any accidents it reaches Pergamum.

Central Theatre

After his great victory at the battle of Priene, Aristogoras, the usurper from Milet, the polises of Cyme and Phocaea join the rebellion and ask for military support. Aristogoras leaves his fleet near Teos. He and his army rest for a while, then they begin to march towards Sardis. On the march, they receive message that the Persians gave up this town . However, the Ionian avant-garde is attacked at Tmolos, west of Sardis, by a Persian force and retreats to the top of a pass. After one day, the Ionians receive reinforcements. While they keep on occupying the pass, the Persians block the road to Sardis.

Southern Theatre
Sea patrols from Cyprus try to intercept the traffic to the Soloi near Tarsus at the Cilician coast, the headquarter of Persian commander Hymaees and his force. They manage to sink five ships. Then a storm comes and damages several Cyprian ships and the admiral has to order his fleet back home. When the storm is gone, the Cyprian fleet returns and finds out that the Persian fleet left Soloi. According to spies they are bound for Phoenicia. Spies also report that an army of Cilician warriors gathers around Soloi.

Greek
The Greek Polises meet to discuss the situation at Asia. All of them feel sympathy for their Ionian brothers, but there are only few voices voting to get involved into the war. Especially the princes of the smaller cities do not see any advantage to make war against mighty Persia and Persian agents do their best to support this point of view. But also the greater powers like Sparta and Athens seem to be undecided.

The Stranger
10-07-2013, 23:26
it would be best if we can find a replacement for me :S i dont think i will be able to continue this game anymore. sorry

Franconicus
10-10-2013, 10:06
Playing without "Fighting" Stranger? :no:

Franconicus
10-12-2013, 19:53
Well, I assume this comes to an end - mainly my fault, I guess. So let me give you my view on things:

I think the innitial situation was clear: the rebels had the innitiative, the Persians were stronger in the long run. So the Ionainas had every reason to act quickly and decisive. Stranger had a strong army ready for combat and Greyblades had a superior force on his island. Together they controlled the sea. King Kurt had no opponent at all. The rebellion took the Persians by surprise, they had to build up new armies, get them to the rebelling provinces and build up a fleet.

To my surprise, the Ionians acted very passive. King Kurt did nothing but "prepare the cities for siege". Stranger did nothing as well, although he could have used his fleet to attack anything along the coast or could have used his army to attack Sardis (what happened in history!). Greyblades obviously hesitated to attack a fortified city, although he had superior forces. My only explanation is that Stranger and GB were not familiar with the type of game and did not really know what they could do.

Persians did better, they recruited suitable forces and began to deploy them. Two armies in the right size is something you can start a campaign with. Maybe it would have been better to recruit a third "army in reserve", to replace casualties and to send soldiers for garrisons. This would have guaranteed that the two armies kept on running.

It was amazing that both sides ignored reconnaisance. King Kurt fortified his towns, so he must have been sure that the persians would come, but he was taken by surprise and took the first defeat. Only then he began to think how he could defend himself (it was too late for any alternative like retreating or calling for supporters). So he decided to concentrate his soldiers to one city to stand the invasion of the superior Persian force. On the long run, he had no chance. His tactics were simple - hold the fort at any cost and never give up. Actually he took Arjos by surprise as he decided to take a desperate counterstrike. Arjos had already pulled off some forces as he was sure that King Kurt was already defeated. Although Arjos suffered a defeat, he could clear the situation by calling back his diverted troops.

It seems that Greyblades does not like the brutal phalanx warfare. He tried to reorganize his troops in a lighter manner and execute special operations. My opinion was that it was not the best thing he could do with the men he has got. Finally he decided to attack his enemy and won.

Stranger als decided to fight. He had his fleet and his army was superior to the Persians. In my opinion his plans were to complex for a commander who had so many unprofessional soldiers from different allies and unexperient commanders without suitable communication means. Nevertheless he managed to defeat a Persian army.
On the other side, Rickinator was willing to fight. His plan was to search for the enemy and to attack - maybe a bit too simple.

Arjos
10-13-2013, 09:18
Maybe it would have been better to recruit a third "army in reserve", to replace casualties and to send soldiers for garrisons. This would have guaranteed that the two armies kept on running.

Honestly I already felt bad having left 5,000 reserves in Sardis lol
I had no qualms in calling for reinforcements, but starting with like 200,000 men against what the other players had simply felt wrong :P

It was amazing that both sides ignored reconnaisance.

We are all gentlemen and we face each other fairly XD
I did send few cavalry scouts, but mainly away from the cities, expecting Hellenic troops to attack my rear...

The Stranger
10-13-2013, 10:57
thanks for hosting the game! i wouldnt say that it is your fault or anyones, but i have to focus on my studies now so i cant play this anymore :S

you are right about your conclusion, i simply didnt realise how the greek position was at start and what the possibilities were which i had at my disposal. i simply didnt really get the game :P maybe it was me not having understood things right and making up things about the persians which werent true, but for me it wasnt all that clear that i could strike at the persians so soon.

i didnt attack sardis because historically it was a disaster and i had RTW in mind so i figured giant stone walls and i didnt have any siege so didnt really want to risk anything. had i realise the potential of my fleet earlier, perhaps i couldve done some more damage and convinced more cities to join the rebellion. its funny how the persians didnt realise how mobile the fleet made me and were constantly wondering where these reinforcements were coming from, as if new armies spawned everywhere :P

however some features kind of confused me because for example when i did use recon, i still walked into an ambush :S and i never really got anything significant out of my scouts. also i think that maybe i shouldve recruited mercs sooner, though i dont know if i had that possibility. lacking a cavalry arm was really crippling my battle plans. as for the plans being too difficult, im not sure, everything i did was stuff i read in battle rapports about the period :S but perhaps my soldiers were indeed not professional enough and the commanders too inexperienced to pull it off.

FoxLeLay
10-26-2013, 21:53
Sorry I wasn't more active in this and it's not your fault it didn't work out.

If you guys are interested in playing in my "Create your own empire" game then let me know and we can still do it.