PDA

View Full Version : Faction 9: Pontus

Lemur
04-26-2013, 14:34
https://i.imgur.com/hi9sTX3.jpg

Pontus (http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Pontus_Faction)

“Ambition, Independence, Profit”

A mountainous region bordering the Black Sea, Pontus contains many fertile river valleys and ports upon which its largely agricultural and trade economy is based. This geography and location also dictate a military focus on infantry and warships. However, a mixture of Greek and Persian influences ensures the forces of Pontus are both advanced and reliable. Their bronze-shield pikemen represent a formidable military backbone, and their swift, deadly scythed chariots are rightly feared.

Its prized commodities, and the opportunism of its well-informed rulers, have enabled Pontus to remain one of the strongest Hellenistic states in existence. With connections throughout the ancient world, largely due to control of Black Sea trade and exports of timber, precious metals and valuable steel, Pontic agents are perfectly placed to gather information on their enemies abroad.

Originally of Persian origin and part of the former satrapy of Cappadocia, Pontus became a client state under Antigonus in 333 BC, after Alexander swept Darius' empire away. Essentially, Pontus is now a collection of Greek colonies, ruled by a re-emergent Persian dynasty. In 302 BC, under Mithridates Ktistes (‘The Founder’), it split from the Macedonian empire during the turmoil of the Wars of the Successors. Having successfully repulsed an invasion by Ptolemy of Egypt, Pontus is now poised to expand across Asia Minor, on into mainland Greece and beyond.

A progressive kingdom, Pontus enjoys healthy diplomatic dialogue with Greek states and successor kingdoms, and is noted for its resolution in battle, particularly against barbarian forces. However, the forsaking of its Persian origins means that eastern cultural influences within its provinces yield diminished public order benefits.

Pontus will be available day one through a free content update to the core Total War: ROME II game.

https://i.imgur.com/t66OsSB.jpg

Spoonska
04-26-2013, 14:54
Nice, I'm a fan of Pontus.

Looks like possible bonuses to
-Farming
-Trade
-Spies

Rhyfelwyr
04-26-2013, 15:19
Looking good once again.

I still don't like all this nonsense though with having to download content etc.

Arjos
04-26-2013, 17:38
Facepalm for starting, barely, in Pontos proper XD

Moros
04-26-2013, 17:53
Facepalm for starting, barely, in Pontos proper XD
Hmm first a Ptolemaic Petra, now Sinope as a starting settlement for Pontus. ~:s

Here's the rally point about it:
http://youtu.be/dB9stwC2wBA

Though it doesn't give too much information. Also the guy talking about Pontus, doesn't really seem to know much about Pontus either.

The Outsider
04-26-2013, 19:55
DACIA! DACIA! DACIA! Oh wait its pontus.... Well i guess its better than nothing :yes: But they said there will be more free stuff so i wonder.... What we will see next :inquisitive:

Oh wait i know.. DACIAAAA!!

dracop
04-26-2013, 20:14
I wonder why they bothered making it a DLC given the game doesn't even have a release date yet. Rationale for promoting Steam?

Lemur
04-26-2013, 20:24
Rationale for promoting Steam?
That doesn't make much sense; Steam is already the preeminent PC gaming platform, and hardly needs promotion from a bit of DLC.

My sincere hope is that they won't do different faction unlocks for different retailers. That's just annoying, that is.

Barkhorn1x
04-26-2013, 20:42
My sincere hope is that they won't do different faction unlocks for different retailers. That's just annoying, that is.

Oh my god yes!

phred
04-26-2013, 20:52
That's cool. I liked playing Pontus in RTW (can't remember which mod it was). They had a nice challenging starting position.

But if I had been given a choice between Pontus and the Seleucid Empire, I probably would have picked the Seleucid Empire.
Or is the Seleucid Empire one of the starting factions? I haven't been keeping up, but I don't think they've been announced yet.

Alexander the Pretty Good
04-26-2013, 22:29
I wonder why they bothered making it a DLC given the game doesn't even have a release date yet. Rationale for promoting Steam?

I would have to assume they already have the DVDs printed and can't add Pontus on to them. That seems a early to me, but that would be the only reason for this...

Lemur
04-26-2013, 22:41
they already have the DVDs printed and can't add Pontus on to them.
Seriously doubt TWR2 is gold master. We would have heard (http://www.bluesnews.com/).

The Outsider
04-27-2013, 00:24
That's cool. I liked playing Pontus in RTW (can't remember which mod it was). They had a nice challenging starting position.

But if I had been given a choice between Pontus and the Seleucid Empire, I probably would have picked the Seleucid Empire.
Or is the Seleucid Empire one of the starting factions? I haven't been keeping up, but I don't think they've been announced yet.

No, unfortunately they are not in the game...

As a playable faction that is.

Myth
04-27-2013, 12:58
Pontus: Great!
Day 1 DLC: facepalm

Barkhorn1x
04-27-2013, 14:42
I would have to assume they already have the DVDs printed and can't add Pontus on to them. That seems a early to me, but that would be the only reason for this...

No sorry - that's the LAST step in the process. That will happen in Oct at the earliest.

The Outsider
04-27-2013, 22:12
No sorry - that's the LAST step in the process. That will happen in Oct at the earliest.

Agreed, since the game is pre-alpha there is no way that they are already priting the game. Unless, they were just lying about the alpha and the game is ready and it will ship much sooner than expected. Which is nigh impossible really.

Cvetko
04-28-2013, 18:08
The Pontic kingdom is one kick-butt of a faction we are as glad as hell to have been granted by our majestic CA developer god kings of mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=134cRUzaXVI

edyzmedieval
04-29-2013, 00:35
I'm actually looking forward to Pontus, they're a good mix of East and West. And they have plenty of room to expand.

Myth
04-29-2013, 08:17
I'd say that every faction bar Numidia has plenty of room to expand...

Lemur
04-30-2013, 14:05
Best explanation I've yet head for the day 1 DLC: The "finished" game needs to be submitted to all sorts of approvals, certifications, testing, etc. By shifting some material to day 1 DLC, CA can keep adding material without endangering their deadlines for all of the various ratings and testings.

Makes more sense than any of the other theories.