PDA

View Full Version : Collector's Edition

dracop
05-12-2013, 20:00
So I was looking over the Collector's Edition, it looks really cool. BUT. $155+$25 S&H...

$180 for a computer game with immersive accessories? vs $60 for the reg game...

So I'm paying $120 for all of those accessories?

Don't get me wrong, they look COOL, but dude...$120 extra...
They should have ditched the Steel Case to bring it down, the weight alone is likely adding alot not just in materials costs but on the shipping side.

Who knows, maybe I win the lottery between here and Sep 3, but other than that I cannot see myself ponying up the extra cash. This forum is pretty hardcore in terms of TW Players, what are you guys thoughts?

I suspect it came out so expensive b/c they limited production to 22,000 copies, still, I don't view that as mass marketable. I like the toys, would consider it if it gets a nice sale. I doubt I will get that opportunity at launch, maybe a few years down the road after the next game is released.

Vuk
05-12-2013, 20:19
I doubt the steel case had anything to do with the increased cost. Steel is actually dirt cheap. In fact, I doubt it is the manufacturing costs at all that is making it cost so much. More likely it is just the fact that there are so few. I personally think it is ridiculous, but what do I know? It may be good as an investment, but that is all.

Lemur
05-13-2013, 01:49
Since I posted elsewhere, might as well re-post here: Collectors Edition info (http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_ROME_II_Collector%27s_Edition).

https://i.imgur.com/oTb26h2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nJ4rMm4.jpg

xploring
05-13-2013, 07:06
I wish we can buy the cards separately. Will they be available individually some time after release?

phred
05-14-2013, 00:35
The map interests me (I love maps).
I wonder if the map comes with other less expensive versions.

LestaT
05-17-2013, 07:56
I want the CE but unfortunately I can't buy if from my country... :-(

The Outsider
05-17-2013, 21:49

Dude it doesnt matter. I dont know where you live but if you are in europe, you can buy it from game uk. I live in Cyprus and i cant get it here either but i have already pre-ordered it from there. its gonne be shipped like one day before release ant it takes around 7-10 days to reach here and the post is like 3 pounds or so. If you really want it u can do that and its pretty simple really.

dracop
05-18-2013, 04:41

As was stated above, you can buy it from one of the international versions of Amazon's websites and have it shipped internationally. Each country's Amazon site has its own warehouses. You will pay the international shipping charges but its not that much more than what CA is charging anyways so <shrug>.

I live in the US and have ordered items from Amazon UK and even Amazon Austria before.

Myth
05-18-2013, 08:07
Dude this collector's edition costs as much as my car's insurance for a year. For a toy mangonel and a map? Erm that's too much. This is half of the cost of a 4 day vacation at the seaside here in Bulgaria, eating at restaurants and sleeping in a cosy 3 star hotel. Hell, it's 1/3 the cost of a fully functional, battle-ready, high quality gladius (http://www.albion-europe.com/search.aspx?txt=Gladius&startyear=+&endyear=+&grip_size=&o=+&g=+&low=+&high=+&submit=Search)!

The Outsider
05-18-2013, 12:05
Dude this collector's edition costs as much as my car's insurance for a year. For a toy mangonel and a map? Erm that's too much. This is half of the cost of a 4 day vacation at the seaside here in Bulgaria, eating at restaurants and sleeping in a cosy 3 star hotel. Hell, it's 1/3 the cost of a fully functional, battle-ready, high quality gladius (http://www.albion-europe.com/search.aspx?txt=Gladius&startyear=+&endyear=+&grip_size=&o=+&g=+&low=+&high=+&submit=Search)!

Dude you had me really excited there. I thought that i could get a gladius for.300 £ but they are like 700 euros each. The game costs 110 pounds (which is still pretty expensive) thatz like 140 euros or.so eg. 1/6.of the price of the glaidus. I wish i had one though. They are so damn cool. Do you know if the customs within europe allow the imports of blades?

quadalpha
05-19-2013, 05:18
Collector's edition for a videogame that will have a new version in a couple of years? No thanks.

dge1
05-19-2013, 05:35
I bought it. First time I've ever purchased a game early. I always get a disc. This time I got the rest of the stuff. Not that big a deal. :)

Myth
05-20-2013, 07:37
Dude you had me really excited there. I thought that i could get a gladius for.300 £ but they are like 700 euros each. The game costs 110 pounds (which is still pretty expensive) thatz like 140 euros or.so eg. 1/6.of the price of the glaidus. I wish i had one though. They are so damn cool. Do you know if the customs within europe allow the imports of blades?

I gave the link to Albion Europe on purpouse. Albion LLC in the USA will tear your skin off for shipping. These guys are in Poland I think. You can call them and bargain, but still my point was that the CE of RTW is too expensive.

Cpt_oo7
05-21-2013, 07:37
I wouldn't it overlook buying it. in 2008 a fallout 3 collectors edition came out. The most valuable item that would compare to the catapult of this game was the pipboy 3000, which, if you've never played the game before, is a item that the protagonist wears that functions as an interface (change weapons, gathers information, fast travel, etc) . when the game came out the pip boy was seen as a pile of junk, see the first review on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Amazon-com-Exclusive-Survival-Edition-Pc/dp/B0017QFX30 . what people didn't know is that the pip boy would become a huge sought after and desirable item wanted by many. a glimpse at ebay and you can find one for 450$ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fallout-3-Collectable-Pip-Boy-3000-Clock-from-the-Survival-Edition-NEW-/230972941456?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c70f6490). The difference between the collectors edition that didn't include the pip boy was 50$, so that basically means that this collectors item has gone from 50$ to 450$ in a matter of less then 5 years during a recession. not bad

i'm no economist, but seeing as there's only going to be 22,000 of these collectors edition rome total wars, you might be able to assume value will go up. maybe it won't - but i'd say this collectors edition is pretty neat and i'd like to own it either way. definitely coping.

StrategicBattles
05-21-2013, 15:12
I was tossing up whether to go for collectors, but I think pre-ordering/buying the game from steam is the best bet as well as receiving the Greek Cultures DLC which looks awesome.

Lemur
05-21-2013, 15:22
this collectors item has gone from 50$ to 450$ in a matter of less then 5 years during a recession. not bad
I dunno, I think buying a game set as an investment is an iffy proposition. Maybe it will become valuable, maybe it won't; no way to make an informed decision.

Good reason to buy collector's edition: Because you want it.

Bad reason to buy collector's edition: Because you think you might make money.

Myth
05-21-2013, 19:26
I dunno, I think buying a game set as an investment is an iffy proposition. Maybe it will become valuable, maybe it won't; no way to make an informed decision.

Good reason to buy collector's edition: Because you want it.

Bad reason to buy collector's edition: Because you think you might make money.

Hear Hear! Same with comic books.

easytarget
05-25-2013, 15:35
I liked Shogun 2 so much I always fancied getting a t-shirt, but the only way they were ever available was in the CE I didn't buy. Always struck me as strange they wouldn't want to advertise their products by selling shirts, I even went so far as asking Sega about it, they said not happening (like I needed another reason to think of Sega as just another clown show game publisher barely able to keep the doors open).

Anyway, here we are once again, no shirts, not even in the CE this time. And once again, I don't get it. You can make money selling shirts and advertise your games, an amazingly easy way to increase brand recognition. It makes me wonder if CA even has a marketing department, come to think of it, maybe they don't. :laugh4: I mean who on earth comes up with sticking an actual scale model onager in an CE edition? It's the sort of face palm marketing behavior that makes gamers a laughing stock among their friends and family.