PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Map Info and Collectors' Edition

Lemur
05-24-2013, 14:26
Hey guys, I don't have time to watch all 20 minutes of this (stupid "work" forcing me to "do things"), but this video promises campaign map info and a good look at the Collector's Edition.

http://youtu.be/kcBZfYatj_Y

frostsid
05-24-2013, 15:49
Yes, the first 7 minutes are about the collector's edition (the playing cards and the onager). I was hoping they would show some screenshots of the new map (well at 11:55 you can se a bit of it in that guy's PC ~D ). Anyway, I liked how you can see how the other factions react to your actions in the diplomacy panel.

Hooahguy
05-24-2013, 17:56
For those at work or that can't watch, here are the main bullet points
Provinces
Campaign eastern border stops at Bactria
Each province is made up of regions. Once you control regions you control the province. Each province has a "Capital"
Once you control a province you can issue edicts that work similar to buffs to enhance that provinces output.
Campaign map will be demoed at Rezzed for the first time.
Diplomacy
New diplomatic options added on.
The diplomacy window will now show how the AI judges your "actions". The goal is to give the player more transparency with the computer. For example : If you attack an AI's friend, you'll see how unhappy / happy it makes them.
You recruit straight to army. Army produces units on the spot. No need to have them walk long distances to catch up like in the current system.
Recruitment
How recruitment works: You select your army. If he's in friendly territory you can recruit your core units. If you're not in friendly territory; you can still recruit, but they will be mercenaries specific to the region.
Mercs have a higher upkeep / cost
Legions will gain traditions over time as a result from ranking up. Every army you raise, your army gains experience through battles.Experience turns into ranks. There are 10 ranks total.
Every time you rank up you get to pick a new Tradition. Traditions work as buffs. (sounds similar to Shogun 2 leveling system)
Each tradition has 3 levels.
There are traditions that benefit stuff like siege craft, heavy infantry. So you can tailor an army to how you want. Example given was : You can build a "Siege army" with traditions specced just for sieging.
You can customize armies. Change banners, rename the army anything you want.
If your Legion dies , you can go back to your friendly cities you can re raise your army and they retain their traditions. You lose veterancy (chevrons), but your Legion lives on. Idea is that each battalion you make has a legacy.

Spoonska
05-24-2013, 19:47
^ Whoever wrote that summary did a terrible job.

I like the transparency part of diplomacy. Anything that gives me more information... or better yet, anything that's going to give me more strategic options I'm all for. I like the fact your army keeps their "Traditions". This is obviously a quality of life choice. It doesn't make sense that an army would get obliterated and retain their traits, but at the same time it's frustrating to lose all your talents when your army dies.

I don't know, I mean I'm appreciative that we get some new info, but it's really hard to say how a lot of the systems work without seeing the real game. Economy, recruiting, diplomacy; they all factor into one another. Like it's cool to know that merc are going to be more costly (as they should be); but how is that relative to the economy that we don't really know much about?

Lemur
05-24-2013, 20:09
^ Whoever wrote that summary did a terrible job.
I assume Hooahguy wrote it, and I appreciate him taking the time. It's a nice thing to do for those of us who have to work job-type things.

Spoonska
05-24-2013, 20:16
I assume Hooahguy wrote it, and I appreciate him taking the time. It's a nice thing to do for those of us who have to work job-type things.

its from my reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/1eyvr4/rally_point_episode_13_campaign_map_info_overload/) post. shh don't tell anyone,but because Hooahguy is in bold I don't know if that's sarcasm. I'm bad at sarcasm. If it is just delete this post and i'll be on my way

Hooahguy
05-24-2013, 20:37
its from my reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/1eyvr4/rally_point_episode_13_campaign_map_info_overload/) post. shh don't tell anyone,but because Hooahguy is in bold I don't know if that's sarcasm. I'm bad at sarcasm. If it is just delete this post and i'll be on my way

Oh that was you? Nice, I probably should have attributed it. Sorry.

Lemur
05-24-2013, 20:37
Oh, sorry, missed the context completely.

Don't you nevermind me, I'll be over in the corner learning to walk and chew gum at the same time.

The Outsider
05-24-2013, 23:23
Oh, sorry, missed the context completely.

Don't you nevermind me, I'll be over in the corner learning to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Thank you guys for making me laugh at 1:30 at night. I needed this after a long week (and half abottle of brandy) ;-)

lars573
05-25-2013, 16:16
I like the transparency part of diplomacy. Anything that gives me more information... or better yet, anything that's going to give me more strategic options I'm all for. I like the fact your army keeps their "Traditions". This is obviously a quality of life choice. It doesn't make sense that an army would get obliterated and retain their traits, but at the same time it's frustrating to lose all your talents when your army dies.
Actually traditions in a military unit can and do survive the units destruction and reformation in the real world. There not traits a person has but ideas and ways of doing that an organization imparts to a person. In a national military that uses a British style regimental system traditions are VERY important (and can go back 300 years or more). And get drilled into new recruits from day 1, right along side the standard military stuff. So this system for legions/army stacks is a very cool new feature and I hope it works well.