PDA

View Full Version : ULTIMATE Rome Total War?

timdickins
06-16-2013, 07:05
With Rome Total War II coming out this September it got me thinking.... what would make the ULTIMATE RTW game? The idea I had centers around the campaign map. The makers of RTW2 say the campaign map will be HUGE, but it will most likely just be an expansion of the original map but further east & further south! But to me this seems like a step back compared to Empire Total War... So what if you could play RTW on an Empire type campaign map? In Empire Total War you have three main theatres 1) Europe, Mid. East & North Africa, 2) The Indian Subcontinent & 3) North America & South America, of coarse in a RTW type game a map of North & South America would be useless so you could replace it with a map of the far east (China). This would give you a truly huge map with boats moving from 1 map to another thru those worm holes in ETW, which would allow in theory the Romans to invade India or China or vice versa & you could retain the four minor trade theatres.

Empire*Of*Media
06-16-2013, 08:13
wow! i just wanted to post that too!! i think its Great Idea! i dont know why they didnt do that! having china & Japan & Indochina or u invade them would be great and Epic!!
but u know, Creative Assembly & Total War dont listen to all of their fans & customers!! they only pay attention to Greece and Rome !!

Cyanide
06-17-2013, 00:14
A campaign map that huge would definetely be at the expense of detail and realism, something TW games are lacking at the moment. Let's focus on one area for now, shall we?

timdickins
06-17-2013, 06:51
A campaign map that huge would definetely be at the expense of detail and realism, something TW games are lacking at the moment. Let's focus on one area for now, shall we? From what I've heard RTW2 is going to require 30gb hard drive as apposed to 17gb for ETW, so it seems to me you can have both a huge campaign map & improved detail and realism... They don't have to sacrifice one for the other! I was hopeful an experienced mod would see my post and be inspired as I don't have the experience or ability.

TinCow
06-17-2013, 13:32
What you're essentially talking about is a Europa Universalis campaign system with a Total War battle system. Such a game would be incredible, but I cannot imagine the development costs and balance issues.

Ca Putt
06-17-2013, 14:05
And the Hardware requirements!

It would be pretty awesome tho. Unless offcource they fall behind the Detail of R2.

Vuk
06-17-2013, 15:23
What you're essentially talking about is a Europa Universalis campaign system with a Total War battle system. Such a game would be incredible, but I cannot imagine the development costs and balance issues.
I don't think it would be practical currently to make a game like that, but the balance issues made me lol. The world is not 'balanced' and never has been. I hate game developer's fetishes of always trying to make everything balanced.

TinCow
06-17-2013, 18:06
I don't think it would be practical currently to make a game like that, but the balance issues made me lol. The world is not 'balanced' and never has been. I hate game developer's fetishes of always trying to make everything balanced.

I wasn't referring to historical accuracy, but rather to difficulties of creating a quality game with a level of complexity on that scale. The EU series is the perfect example. The nations are definitely not intended to be, nor are they, balanced. Some have massive advantages or totally crippling disadvantages that represent their historical place in the world. However, there are game mechanics that are very imbalanced that make certain strategies incredibly easy to exploit. That stuff is the result of poor designs that weren't fully thought through or tested. The more complex a game gets, the more likely that seriously broken game mechanics will creep into the system.

Vuk
06-17-2013, 18:25
Yeah, I feel you. I thought you meant unit/faction balance at first.