View Full Version : Let's Play - Total War: ROME II Campaign - Posted by CA

Barkhorn1x
07-25-2013, 17:07
Now we're talkin'!

http://youtu.be/Q0GA_jDYfEs

Lord of the Isles
07-25-2013, 19:08
Sweet! Really cool!

In fact, Patricia was ok - not nearly as annoying as the Two Stooges from Rally Point.

And the game menu and campaign map teasers were fascinating.

The Outsider
07-25-2013, 23:37
Thanks for sharing mate i liked this video, it seems that i will really enjoy the campaign map. Also the edicts are going to make things more interseting i beleive.

Monk
07-26-2013, 04:48
Love that each faction now has an internal politics system. This was one of the biggest failings of the original RTW as while it made Rome feel special and everything else felt like a second rate faction. Great touch.

I do not like the look of the campaign map. It's very pretty but it feels cramped somehow. Hard to put my finger on it. Won't know until I tried.

Arjos
07-26-2013, 06:05
Love that each faction now has an internal politics system.

Yes, from what I've read there are also cultural influences that allow to "capture" regions and such. This is definitely a huge step forward by CA ^^

The Outsider
07-26-2013, 10:22
Another thing i noticed is the culture grouos are being represented under different tabs. So we got one for rome, carthage, succesors, eastern kingdoms etc. It my understanding that each culture pack dlc will add a new group tab witharound three factions. What i dont understand is that why would germanic, gaulic and briton tribes would need individual tabs? We have only a singlw tribe from each group dont we? Also i remember reading that the different tribes under each culture will have identical units. So does these seperate groupings means that we will be able to unlock different tribes as we play? If Jack is around, can you please explain this?

Arjos
07-26-2013, 11:06
My bet, given the videogame market trend of these days, they will indeed release more DLCs (even of such groups that already have one).
When you look at the already known DLCs, they are structured as new factions/political parties, but also bringing in new units. So my guess is that they will make such encompassing additions...

Personally I find it a commendable approach: who can't wait will pay more, but get a decent amount of new content; while patience will allow pretty sweet steam sale deals ^^

rickinator9
07-26-2013, 15:53
I do not like the look of the campaign map. It's very pretty but it feels cramped somehow. Hard to put my finger on it. Won't know until I tried.

I don't like the cliffy coasts. I don't know, they just look weird.

The mechanics seem good. It sounds like Rome II will have a lot more depth than Shogun II.

The Outsider
07-26-2013, 18:14
My bet, given the videogame market trend of these days, they will indeed release more DLCs (even of such groups that already have one).
When you look at the already known DLCs, they are structured as new factions/political parties, but also bringing in new units. So my guess is that they will make such encompassing additions...

Personally I find it a commendable approach: who can't wait will pay more, but get a decent amount of new content; while patience will allow pretty sweet steam sale deals ^^

Agreed, that seems to be the most likely future. By the way do you guys know if it is possible to get steam discount notifications? Sometimes i spend weeks without login in steam and hence i miss the possible deals sometimes.

Lemur
07-26-2013, 18:38
do you guys know if it is possible to get steam discount notifications?
Yeah, no time to look it up right now, but I believe it's associated with your wishlist, or somewhere in that set of options. You can ask Steam to send an email when a particular title goes on sale, definitely.

The Outsider
07-26-2013, 23:03
Yeah, no time to look it up right now, but I believe it's associated with your wishlist, or somewhere in that set of options. You can ask Steam to send an email when a particular title goes on sale, definitely.

Ok thanks i will check it out soon and update.

B-Wing
07-27-2013, 04:41
Excellent preview. I'm drooling over the campaign map. Reminds me of Civilization (in a good way). The idea of a somewhat more historical RTW with no "Rebels" faction is just awesome. I hope they do eventually make most factions playable, even if it means a freaking DLC for every culture group. I'd really like to be able to campaign as Galatia one day.

And I really, really like the fact that the campaign map doesn't have lines for region borders, only faction borders. That looks so much better.

Monk
07-27-2013, 07:05
I don't like the cliffy coasts. I don't know, they just look weird.

The mechanics seem good. It sounds like Rome II will have a lot more depth than Shogun II.

That could very well be it. Hum. I loved the soft shores of Shogun 2's map. Let's hope CA institutes a global warming system to raise the sea levels on the campaign map.

quadalpha
07-27-2013, 07:52
That could very well be it. Hum. I loved the soft shores of Shogun 2's map. Let's hope CA institutes a global warming system to raise the sea levels on the campaign map.

Burning berserker pigs were the leading source of greenhouse gas emissions before the Industrial Revolution.

Arjos
07-28-2013, 06:54
I hope they do eventually make most factions playable, even if it means a freaking DLC for every culture group.

What I do not like about this, is that by reading the prices for the "Hellas" DLCs, each have its own tag. So it looks like they will make a DLC = new faction, probably released in tandem with a couple of others. But each at a full DLC price...
Gotta love how the marketing people squeeze every dime they can :P

The Outsider
07-28-2013, 13:33
Yep agreed. Half the work, triple the money..

B-Wing
07-28-2013, 20:37
Yeah, it's definitely a rip-off, but if the alternative is no more factions, well... I'll pony up for the ones I actually want to play.

The Outsider
07-28-2013, 23:55
Yeah, it's definitely a rip-off, but if the alternative is no more factions, well... I'll pony up for the ones I actually want to play.

Yeah i can see many people going for the dlcs especially if the game wont be modder friendly as we suspect.

Papewaio
07-29-2013, 00:20
I think it looks cramped because of the scale of the cities. They all look like modern urban sprawls. I assume that is so you can see what they have at a glance without having to zoom in. But it does make the "10x" larger map look smaller when you put "100x" larger icons on it.

Lemur
07-29-2013, 00:41
The Outsider, found the details here (http://store.steampowered.com/notifications). As I thought, it's tied to the "wishlist."

Wishlist Notifications

Don't miss out when the best deals happen

We'll let you know by email or through our mobile app when the games on your Wishlist are on sale as a Daily Deal, Midweek Madness or Weekend Deal. Whether you're riding the bus, walking the dog, or stuck in a meeting, you'll know when there's a deal!

JoWarrior
07-29-2013, 01:42
Thanks this looks Great!

The Outsider
07-29-2013, 23:09
The Outsider, found the details here (http://store.steampowered.com/notifications). As I thought, it's tied to the "wishlist."

Wishlist Notifications

Don't miss out when the best deals happen

We'll let you know by email or through our mobile app when the games on your Wishlist are on sale as a Daily Deal, Midweek Madness or Weekend Deal. Whether you're riding the bus, walking the dog, or stuck in a meeting, you'll know when there's a deal!

Well that will be a great way of knowing about the deals. Thanks a lot for taking the time mate :-)

fallen851
08-05-2013, 20:29
Yeah i can see many people going for the dlcs especially if the game wont be modder friendly as we suspect.

I want to preorder this to get the Greek factions, but at the same time, if the game turns out to be crap like Rome 1 was, I don't want it unless it can modded heavily as Rome 1 could be (EB is an amazing game).

Do we know how modder friendly it is going to be?

Barkhorn1x
08-06-2013, 00:27
Do we know how modder friendly it is going to be?

Yea, like SH2 so not very but folks did manage now didn't they? I am certain that, given the subject matter's popularity and the games potential a new Darth will reveal themselves.