PDA

View Full Version : Rome 2 Leaked Footage

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 01:14
http://youtu.be/I9K2_6I4-L4?t=8m26s

Notes: Crappy pathfinding, Gladiators, and weird gladiator running around like headless chicken while getting shot by archers. Almost no unit collision too. Oh, gangsta archer running around.

Edit: Floating men mid air ducking it out.

Thought Rome 2 was going to be like Shogun 2 at least but this smells of Empire TW sadly.

Lol the mo-cap looks like Rome 1 flying animations.

Sad Panda is sad...

Warning: Description links got viruses, don't click.

The Outsider
08-31-2013, 02:26
Well i really hope that this is reaally old footage but i dont think so, we are all doomed. This looks terrible, units leaving formation for no reason, no collision, bloody gladiators charging and fighting with air, magical green arrows, traffic light on unit banners and a load of other crap. This is bad. Reaally baaaad....

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 02:38

Sonic Free riders here we go! Weeeeee :stare:

Vuk
08-31-2013, 02:40
Check out the dude to the front left in that picture dancing. lol I am really hoping that this is some extremely dated footage. Otherwise CA is being unethical by releasing this game how it is.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 02:44
Whoever recorded the footage might have managed to extract the whole game and play it perhaps? Or crack the demo to get custom battles with all factions.

Don't underestimate pirates. They can do all sorts of things with the game...

Hear ye, hear ye!

Vuk
08-31-2013, 02:45
Nah, looks like he is working from a video himself. Any idea what he is saying? I cannot speak Russian.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 02:47
Yes as I said above. Perhaps somebody else leaked the footage to him or he recorded the footage himself and then commentated.

Can't speak Russian though. Perhaps somebody can?

quadalpha
08-31-2013, 02:50
Siege battles have always been the most ahistorical and unedifying experiences in TW. Can't understand why they persist in loading more gimmicks onto a basically broken feature. A certain saying about pigs and lipstick comes to mind.

In the same vein, do you all remember what a big deal CA was making about more realistic facial animations ('to make you feel the human side of battle')? Really, wtf?

Vuk
08-31-2013, 02:53
lol, from what I have seen from their own released footage (not the leaked stuff), the facial expressions are horribly wooden and unnatural. Maybe they should have just stuck to making a great game and not bothered wasting their time with all the gimmicks. They should fire everyone involved with animation, voice acting, and AI, as those three areas have always been their greatest weaknesses. I can stand the bad voice acting and animation, but the consistently horrible AI is really annoying.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 02:56
Almost no use in those facial animations. Why not larger scale, unit cohesion system, less crappy gimmicks and eye of Sauron. How about the grand scale of things as CA says themselves? How about a campaign that isn't barebones. How about a decent ui that is good function wise and immersive? They did a good job on the ui in Shogun 2 why not in Rome 2?

It goes on...

TW is broken.

Utterly broken.
Vuk, facial animations look like blobs of clay moving then falling apart. :clown:

Vuk
08-31-2013, 02:56
I gotta say though, I do love the size of those siege machines, even if they were an extremely rare sight IRL.

What I really do not like however is the ridiculous trails following the projectiles and the way that a rock knocks down and sends flying the people 10 feet away from it. Really guys?

Vuk
08-31-2013, 02:59
Almost no use in those facial animations. Why not larger scale, unit cohesion system, less crappy gimmicks and eye of Sauron. How about the grand scale of things as CA says themselves? How about a campaign that isn't barebones. How about a decent ui that is good function wise and immersive? They did it in Shogun 2 why not in Rome 2?

It goes on...

TW is broken.

Utterly broken.
Vuk, facial animations look like blobs of clay moving then falling apart. :clown:

I actually don't mind the line of sight thing. I think that is a really good idea. The floating eyes over the men is kind of cheating and I don't like that, but I do like the line of sight idea. Adds more depth and realism to the game. I just wish they fixed the darned bugs first!

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 03:01
They talk about awesome mo-cap yet the animations look pretty dumb with people filled with helium or something flying to outer space.

To me there's no difference in Rome 1's animation of people flying and Rome 2's.

The same thing but now with corny facial animations for lulz.

@LoS

Imagine playing MP and the eyes disappear. You know there's units in that couple of trees and they're screwed already.

Vuk
08-31-2013, 03:04
Everyone is all hunched over and looking at the ground in RII as well. I think that RTW's animations were better.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 03:06
"To make you feel the human side of war." :clown:

Vuk
08-31-2013, 03:09
@LoS

Imagine playing MP and the eyes disappear. You know there's units in that couple of trees and they're screwed already.

Yeah, I completely agree with that. You should know when your men see an enemy, not when an enemy sees you. It is cheating.

Vuk
08-31-2013, 03:13
OMG, listen at 5:40! One of the gladiators takes Commodus's line from Gladiator "A SWORD! GIVE ME A SWORD!". Considering they said people could not be disarmed, how the heck does that make any sense?

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 03:15
One of the abilities for the Gladiator unit is from Gladiator/ real life I believe.

Edit: CA was bored that's why.

Vuk
08-31-2013, 03:17
One of the abilities for the Gladiator unit is from Gladiator/ real life I believe.

What do you mean?

Vuk
08-31-2013, 03:19
The Cretan archer's shields float about 1 foot away from their backs, and one of his units started wavering when surrounded by friendly units and when there were very few enemies. It seemed pretty random. Was there something I missed?

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 03:20
The Gladiator Oath or something. Some special units in Shogun 2 got special abilities so in Rome 2 even your Hastati got one.

The Gladiators get the oath thing which boosts stats.

That's if I read the twc thread correctly.

Vuk
08-31-2013, 03:21
Oh, lol. That seems pretty corny.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 03:27
The problem I have is with all these special abilities. Shogun 2 already had enough of the special abilities. Napoleon got it right with only the general and it's rally morale boost plus inspire which temporarily boosts morale and stats a little.

When you even have Hastati with unit stat boost ability something is wrong with TW by then.

Vuk
08-31-2013, 03:31
I don't think that even the generals should have the special abilities. A general is always trying to boost morale and rally routing troops, which is why they get the constant morale bonus for being around him. Why can do additional boosts for short amounts of time with long waits in between? That was pretty unrealistic. I honestly think that Empire handled it better than any TW game to date.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 03:38
The inspire ability isn't used much but the rally ability is helpful in pushing one area against a few units of Old Guard. You can pop up rally to keep your men from instantly routing and quickly go support other areas of the battle and then rush back.

It's like urging your men to fight on and then waltz off to oversee somebody else.

Makes no sense but from my online play it brings a little more variety and allows for attacks on fear units without all your men routing instantly.

Vuk
08-31-2013, 03:57
I wish they at least made it optional.

Monk
08-31-2013, 04:37
Looks like a cracked copy. There is supposedly massive day 1 patch coming, so who knows what is still an issue and what is still a bug at this point. Best advice at is not to panic. We've got all winter to be let down if Rome 2 ends up being bad, after all.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 04:58
Day one dlc, free dlc, and tweaks. Latest version we've seen is CA's rather un informative multiplayer footage which is most likely more newer than the one that went gold or pretty close.

Rome 2 space increases so it was probably patches, perhaps that got cracked too. Nevertheless I never have high expectations of CA after Empire. ( Mods barely made it playable to me until Empire Realism mod)

quadalpha
08-31-2013, 05:17
I also like how 2 seconds after being scattered to the ground by the rock with a comet trail, everyone who fell down gets up at precisely the same time.

Monk
08-31-2013, 05:30
Day one dlc, free dlc, and tweaks. Latest version we've seen is CA's rather un informative multiplayer footage which is most likely more newer than the one that went gold or pretty close.

Rome 2 space increases so it was probably patches, perhaps that got cracked too. Nevertheless I never have high expectations of CA after Empire. ( Mods barely made it playable to me until Empire Realism mod)

Empire was beyond words awful at launch. When Paradox devs joke on their forum that your game doesn't have AI.. you know you have issues to resolve. We'll see come Tuesday whether Rome 2 is an Empire or a Shogun 2. Fingers crossed :yes:

mouzfun
08-31-2013, 10:00
For those of you who is wondering what russian dude is sayin':
He didnt mention where did he get that video, everything else is just commentary, nothing interesting.
i'll add that i'm very much surprised to see that they got this, this is just some poor e-sports site.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 13:18
Doesn't really matter when the video shows quite a lot of bugs and numerous mechanic flaws.

Edit: They talk about awesome mo-cap yet everybody flies in the air and gets up at the same time with a lame animation. You'd think that got improved from Rome 1... At least...

mouzfun
08-31-2013, 15:14
Doesn't really matter when the video shows quite a lot of bugs and numerous mechanic flaws.

Edit: They talk about awesome mo-cap yet everybody flies in the air and gets up at the same time with a lame animation. You'd think that got improved from Rome 1... At least...

It seems that i was filmed at lowest settings possible, maybe animations and such has to do with it.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 15:27
Not really lowest settings when my Shogun 2 on med-high settings looks like this. Lods and such.

The animations look like its on highest settings from my Shogun 2 experience, lowest settings does not remotely look like the footage shown.

Also CA's own footage's animations look like this.

Vuk
08-31-2013, 17:32
If that is the current state of the game, then CA should refund people 20% of their purchase and get to bug fixing fast. No wonder they banked so much on pre-orders.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 18:16
The ai is still the same ai from Shogun 1 on the battle map. March in formation, then at certain range it chooses which units to engage what. Hence the kamikaze general or criss cross line infantry shooting their own men.

Vuk
08-31-2013, 18:55
That is what I mean, they really need to take a time out and work on their base. After all these installments we should be seeing an improvement on this front. They really gotta get some back-bone and stand up to their publisher and marketing team and take just one game to improve the foundation before moving on to new things.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 19:27
I think CA would rather milk the poor franchise to death...

Sp4
08-31-2013, 19:51
This is like pre E3 footage.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 19:54
You say that after getting back from browsing TWC eh? Build seems pretty recent, a few weeks ago and CA would not make any drastic changes so it's mostly what you see is what you get even with day 1 patches.

Conclusion: Game is still heavily flawed.

Sp4
08-31-2013, 20:46
I'm saying it is as old as it looks.

LeftEyeNine
08-31-2013, 21:04
What I've seen look too premature to be RTM. I reckon the reason some Russian dude was able to get his hands on that is since the product is in its alpha stages.

Barkhorn1x
08-31-2013, 21:17
We'll all know for sure on Tuesday.

BroskiDerpman
08-31-2013, 21:22
We'll all know for sure on Tuesday.

This, let me know what's the game like when it's released... :P

Barkhorn1x
08-31-2013, 22:31
This, let me know what's the game like when it's released... :P

Will do.

FesterShinetop
09-01-2013, 13:18
BroskiDerpman and Vuk... the Statler and Waldorf of the org... :laugh4: ~;)

Spoonska
09-01-2013, 14:08
OMG, listen at 5:40! One of the gladiators takes Commodus's line from Gladiator "A SWORD! GIVE ME A SWORD!". Considering they said people could not be disarmed, how the heck does that make any sense?

Heard that too. It's probably safe to say every Spartan will be yelling "This is Sparta" then.

I hope this is someone that cracked an old preview copy because there are a lot of problems. No gimmick in the world is going to make up for bad AI.

CaptainCrunch
09-01-2013, 15:58
Speaking strictly from a QA standpoint, to me this looks like footage from an early build. I'm judging from bugs that weren't evident from more recent footage and the fact that the battle/foot speed in this vid was like it was during the early previews. It's been adjusted since then, although it's still way too fast. I know this game will have many flaws that'll either need to be addressed by CA or by modders, but it would be pretty catastrophic for CA to put out a gold build of a hyped-up title like Rome2 in this condition. I could be wrong though..! Hope not.

The game is absolutely RIFE with gimmicky nonsense though, I really wish these nerdz would stop with that garbage. However, if you look at CA as a company now it's no surprise. Look at the goofy clowns they hire to do their PR for example. Is that not reflective of their game philosophy? That's why we're seeing all this kid stuff. Sometimes they sound like a bunch of little tykes talking about their favorite superheroes (consequently some of the fans as well).

Questions answered by CA;

"Q: How will the Heroes of Sparta be? A: Awesome!"
"Q: Will Companion Cavalry be awesome? A: YES!"
"Q: How cool are the Iceni? A: The Iceni are extremely cool..."

EENUFFFFF!

Sp4
09-01-2013, 16:00
Heard that too. It's probably safe to say every Spartan will be yelling "This is Sparta" then.

I hope this is someone that cracked an old preview copy because there are a lot of problems. No gimmick in the world is going to make up for bad AI.

That sounds funny actually... Forward!!! But... this is Sparta! Not over there >_>

Vuk
09-01-2013, 16:25
BroskiDerpman and Vuk... the Statler and Waldorf of the org... :laugh4: ~;)

Just keeping it real. ~;)