PDA

View Full Version : TW:RomeII DVD arrived

Lord of the Isles
08-31-2013, 22:00
I pre-ordered the standard DVD from Amazon months ago. It arrived today (Sat 31st Aug).
In the old days that would have been amazing but in these days of Steam embargoed
validations it doesn't really mean very much. Except an early alarm call this Tuesday.

It has 3 DVDs (reminds me when the size of games increased so that they needed 3 CDs).
Also a 14 page booklet story by David Gibbins - "Rome II Destroy Carthage". Plus the
'manual' - a flimsy 24 page booklet which has a section for new players (basically saying:
play all the tutorials and follow instructions there) and a section on what's new for
experienced players with a few paragraphs on the main new features.

3 1/2 days and counting...

Wilbo
09-01-2013, 09:05
Ha! I have a similar level of frustration, with pre-load complete last Wednesday. Did it have a paper map or tech tree?

ETA: To judge by your join date and avater, you're also someone who started with Shogun: Total War?

Lord of the Isles
09-01-2013, 14:35
Ha! I have a similar level of frustration, with pre-load complete last Wednesday. Did it have a paper map or tech tree?

ETA: To judge by your join date and avater, you're also someone who started with Shogun: Total War?

No paper map or tech tree, just the things listed above.
No info either about the free Greek states pre-order DLC but I wasn't expecting anything. Now that it has served its purpose of whipping up preorders, I'd expect them to just tell Steam to give eveyone who validates early the DLC. Just my guess but the alternative seems to involve huge administrative effort with no point.

Good guess - I missed the release of STW I but got it when Mongol Invasion came out. Then found this community. Happy days.

[Edit] I should have added: I tried installing from the DVD. First time with network disabled, but Setup insisted it needed to contact Steam. Second time with network enabled I got as far as typing in the Validation code. It told me that was valid but that I couldn't install from DVD since the game hadn't been released yet. So I'll have to wait till 8:00 BST on Tuesday. In the meantime, the game is now listed in my Steam library.