PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How often do we want screenshot competitions?

Hooahguy
09-13-2013, 14:35
So something we are planning to implement is a screenshot competition, though there is some debate how often they should be done. Back in the heyday of the EB forum, it was done once a month and would get dozens of submissions. Obviously we dont have that amount of traffic, so we want to put it up to you guys. How often do you want a screenshot competition?

Prizes for the winner are still being debated on.

BroskiDerpman
09-13-2013, 14:38
Only Rome 2 screenies allowed? If so then as of now I can't be in the competition.

Though for rules; I think no-editing the screenies seems like a decent one. I've seen amazing non edited screenshot competitions and the dude was running the game on low.

johnhughthom
09-13-2013, 14:38
Why don't we just do the first competition, see how popular it is, and take it from there, rather than imposing a schedule first?

Hooahguy
09-13-2013, 14:40
Only Rome 2 screenies allowed? If so then as of now I can't be in the competition.

Though for rules; I think no-editing the screenies seems like a decent one. I've seen amazing non edited screenshot competitions and the dude was running the game on low.
Only Rome II screenshots. After all, this is the Rome 2 subforum.

We havent decided on whether or not we will allow edited screenshots.

BroskiDerpman
09-13-2013, 14:44
Oh alright then, I've seen some competitions with all TWs (Except for Med 1 and Shogun 1) involved.

Editing screenshots was restricted to cropping out the ui and resolution of the screenshot was limited.

I've seen older TWs such as Rome and Med 2 win a lot too.

(You in the Army?)

Myth
09-13-2013, 14:47
Why don't we just do the first competition, see how popular it is, and take it from there, rather than imposing a schedule first?

This sounds reasonable. Also, I'd say editing depends on what will be the nature of the contest. Is it funny/epic/interesting/intense moments? Or is it eye-candy, artistically oriented screenshots that can be used as wallpapers? No need to edit for the first, and the second becomes more of an artists competition (which is fine). For example, this (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=540972995921674&set=pb.515730355112605.-2207520000.1379079979.&type=3&theater) is an image based on a screenshot from the Teutonics campagin I made for a title image to one of our hotseat games here in the Throne Room. That's how I imagine edited images, they bring no real details on what's going on etc. but rather give a feeling of some sort.

BroskiDerpman
09-13-2013, 14:56
Anybody checked out the UESW screenshot competition on TWC?

Though in my own opinion I like non edited screenshots most of the time with good camera angles. Perhaps who can capture an epic feeling/scene or some sort of cinematic screenshot.

It can show people who don't have the game what the game can look like if you just look at it from a different perspective.

Forward Observer
09-13-2013, 21:50
It wouldn't hurt to have two divisions--one allowing no editing other than simple cropping---and another that allows just about anything as long as the result is still recognizable as a total war game screenshot. Then you have to decide if it will be limited to just the latest game (Rome 2) or all TW games. Too many categories might be just as detrimental as too few, so it's hard to say.

Cheers

Hooahguy
09-13-2013, 22:55
As I said before, since this is Rome 2 subforum, we would very much like to keep it as Rome 2 pictures. Ive seen some pretty good photos already, so I dont think this will be a problem.

As for editing, I think cropping out the UI is an obvious thing to allow, and the limits to the photoshop we have to still determine.