PDA

View Full Version : Low Graphics Memory

VAE VICTUS
09-19-2013, 22:08
I received a low graphics memory warning today, can I get around it until I am able to update my video card or whatever? I am uncertain about checking the "unlimited graphic memory" box..

Hooahguy
09-19-2013, 22:14
I have it checked and I have encountered zero problems. It seems to be the only way around it.

Sp4
09-19-2013, 22:32
The reason it comes up with a warning is because it is letting you know that you don't have enough graphics memory to run the upcoming battle at your selected graphics settings without going below some certain magic number of FPS (I guess around 20 or 25 but I have no idea) and the only reason you are not seeing it when you check the unlimited memory box is because it then doesn't give a sh*t and keeps your graphics settings regardless of how much it thinks your game is going to be slowed down.

As far as I know, there is no need to 'get around it'. Just continue playing with automatically adjusted GFX settings or tick the box and don't care about reduced performance.

Quillan
09-19-2013, 23:31
I'm running a 560TI with 1 gig of video memory. When the game came out I had those mysteriously low-res textures even though it defaulted to Ultra on the settings. When I looked, I discovered that it had downgraded the settings, so I changed it and ticked that checkbox. I have not had a problem since, though I have learned that my rig cannot handle 10,000 men on the field at once. :laugh4: For me, 4-5000 on the battlefield doesn't cause any problems.

Sp4
09-20-2013, 01:35
I'm running a 560TI with 1 gig of video memory. When the game came out I had those mysteriously low-res textures even though it defaulted to Ultra on the settings. When I looked, I discovered that it had downgraded the settings, so I changed it and ticked that checkbox. I have not had a problem since, though I have learned that my rig cannot handle 10,000 men on the field at once. :laugh4: For me, 4-5000 on the battlefield doesn't cause any problems.

Yeah it ended up doing the same for me, which surprised me a little but then I saw hmmm.. so it defaulted to maximum settings with the option to downgrade as necessary.. that doesn't sound nearly as fancy as 'Extreme' XD

Antonius Rex
09-20-2013, 03:42
^^^ What they said. It can't hurt to at least try it out. Worst case scenario it's too laggy for you and you either lower the settings or uncheck the box and let it auto adjust again.

I'm running it on a laptop and somehow even with "ultra" and "extreme" textures and almost everything else set medium/high I'm running smoother than Shogun 2 did at similar settings. So I guess they did get some of the graphics issues right. Although that could just be either because Rome 2 units naturally have less fine detail than the Samurai armor, or because it's downgrading me anyway and the higher settings are just THAT MUCH better than previous games. And while we're on the subject, am I the only one who's "unlimited graphics memory" box is completely greyed out? It never actually gave me the option to select it to begin with. I had to unlock the higher settings the old fashioned way in the preferences script. Although I'm not sure I put a high enough value to unlock max settings. Any idea why the box could be unavailable?

Sp4
09-20-2013, 05:11
^^^ What they said. It can't hurt to at least try it out. Worst case scenario it's too laggy for you and you either lower the settings or uncheck the box and let it auto adjust again.

I'm running it on a laptop and somehow even with "ultra" and "extreme" textures and almost everything else set medium/high I'm running smoother than Shogun 2 did at similar settings. So I guess they did get some of the graphics issues right. Although that could just be either because Rome 2 units naturally have less fine detail than the Samurai armor, or because it's downgrading me anyway and the higher settings are just THAT MUCH better than previous games. And while we're on the subject, am I the only one who's "unlimited graphics memory" box is completely greyed out? It never actually gave me the option to select it to begin with. I had to unlock the higher settings the old fashioned way in the preferences script. Although I'm not sure I put a high enough value to unlock max settings. Any idea why the box could be unavailable?

Running in DX9 or SM3?